#PACtion™ 2024

I can beat most of those time...Orrville just depends on how crazy the traffic is at Apple Creek Road and St Rt 30. That is my favorite Bellstore at that intersection FYI. There's an older lady that would wear her Ravens jersey on Sundays. That's tuffness!
Yeah that's tuff. If she eats Maryland crab cakes that's super tuff. Walk the walk, talk the talk.

61-7.

Screenshot_20240321-195837-196.png

Broc Dial is gonna do it at The Slaw.

😂

If Lake had 125 fewer kids from their latest total of 404, I'd say yes. There is significant history with Lake Township and PACtion schools.

The reality is....Lake hit the geography goldmine being centrally located between Akron and Canton with good schools on top of it and lots of developable land to build. Throw in a good sports tradition already in place....Lake has a lot of positives. Now I know BSO will point out that Lake has LOST enrollment since the 90s.... I do think Hoover manufacturing leaving North Canton hurt Lake and it's likely Lake just grew older as a community. The kids moved away but the parents stayed.

Jackson has many similar advantages like Lake. Jackson played good football going back to the Coach Fife years in the 50s and 60s. I did see Jackson's enrollment has been kinda stagnant for a while but it grew like a weed for years.

FYI, I did notice today the Tuslaw softball team plays Jackson and Perry.

Northwest playing Lake in football is admirable. Maybe Lake could call Canton South, too? That could be a one-off game?

IMO....Perry really doesn't have the advantages of Lake or Jackson. Similar to Fairless it's a bit too far south from Akron IMO for sustainable suburban enrollment growth unless the mills & factories in Canton & Massillon are growing. So Perry really depends on the Stark County economy being healthy. That's great when the manufacturing sector isn't getting ravaged by China, Mexico, etc. Massillon, as far as economic factors go, has done an admirable job competing as the economy has changed so much but it's very challenging. Canton has been behind the curve with not so hot city leadership. Hopefully they will one day get it together.

The other thing people don't realize about the PTO. They're kinda country in the Richville section of their school district. And that's all good but people don't really realize that. Perry is a very diverse school system. What made Keith Wakefield effective is he treated all kids from all backgrounds like crap and was demanding to everyone.

Clint Eastwood's character in Heartbreak Ridge was Keith Wakefield.
So much to unpack here and I agree with a lot. As many know, I'm from Pittsburgh so it was nice learning about Lake and Jackson.

I agree that Massillon did a great job staying relevant during the changing of the gaurd in the economy. Many small towns in the Rust Belt wish they had half the success Massillon did. It would be great getting the plants and mills back in Canton and other rust belt towns, but the politicians on both sides of the aisle do not have the stomach to stand up and do the right thing. With Automation not even sure how many jobs it would bring, but for security of the nation, it is the right thing to do.

I love the admiration for Wakefield. My first exposure to him was watching "Go Tigers " and I thought he was one of the villians. As I read and learned more about him on Yappi and JJ, I quickly realized he was the quintessential coach. He was the standard for what an old school coach was and should be.

IMHO there was a time when Perry had the best 1 2 punch of coaches in the country with Wakefield and Carr in wrestling.

I've always liked the "10 team" league setup. Split by area or by size and rotate for football + helps all the other sports fill in their schedules.

If you add Coventry & West Holmes could also add Moggy then would have something for the big & small schools + the east & west schools.

Top Cat dropping knowledge on PACtion2024™!!
@TopCat is the official E. F. Hutton of PACtion2024™.

I can't be the only one in here who knows E.F. Hutton right? E. F. Hutton exemplify tuffness during Bull Markets.

I heard in a conversation yesterday about the chicken at the Bellstores by Walsh College...they said it was pretty good....once again I am out of the food loop....I said food loop...not fruit loop....lol...remember reading somewhere in this thread that chicken was mentioned at Bellstores...I thought it was a food coma talking...lol....so what do I need to know....lol...ShootNation you are not obligated to answer....but looking at your stats I think you should be practicing your three point shooting and not the nation

PAC Game of the Year - 2002 | Manchester at Tusky Valley - The Rematch | Week 5 | September 20, 2002
This is the fourth in an ongoing series, highlighting the PAC Game of the Year in each season, from 1999 through 2023, which will lead up to the start of the 2024 high school football season. For a look back at prior summaries, click here for 1999, 2000 and 2001.

A year removed from the 2001 classic between the Panthers and the Trojans at James R. France Stadium, there was no one who was going to look past the scheduled Week 5 meeting between the same two teams in Zoarville. And safe to say, the rematch lived up to the preseason hype.

Manchester again came into the game undefeated. Tested by Copley in Week 1, the Panthers eked out a 15-14 win to get the season started. They were barely tested the next three weeks, rolling to consecutive victories over Streetsboro, Westdale, (ON) and Tuslaw by a combined 137-0.

That wouldn't be the case in Week 5. Tusky Valley dropped the season opener to perhaps the best Canton South team of the last 30 years that did not have Poochie Snyder on the roster. But the Trojans' rebounded with romps over Indian Valley, Garaway and Fairless, to set up the PAC Game of the Year at Trojan Stadium. And this one lived up to the billing.

The defenses dominated. The Trojans mustered an early first quarter field goal, and Manchester responded three minutes later after the Trojans muffed a punt at their own 7 yard line. Justin McCraney rumbled in from the 7, but like the previous year, a missed extra point would be a big part of the story. Tusky Valley's Mason Weaver blocked the PAT, and the first quarter ended with the Panthers leading 6-3. So did the second. And the third.

The Panthers defense forced three turnovers - two fumbles and a pick, and the game remained a 3-point margin entering the fourth. After another Trojan miscue in the fourth, Manchester advanced deep into Tusky Valley territory, only to breathe life back into the Trojans by fumbling the ball back to the Trojans from inside the red zone. The ensuing drive crossed midfield, but Brody Jackson seemed to ice it with another pick with just over three minutes remaining. But the twists were far from over. The Trojans forced a punt, and somehow hit a 53-yard pass all the way down to the 5 yard line. But they could not finish the drive. Remember that missed PAT? It allowed Tusky Valley to kick a short field goal and tie the game 6-6, to force overtime.

The Panthers finished regulation with 42 rushes for 178 yards on the ground. Quarterback Ryan Swain was 0 of 6 through the air. Manchester lost the coin flip and the Trojans chose to go on defense first. Two rushes yielded a loss of a yard and Manchester faced 3rd and 11 from the 21 in OT.

What came next came deep from the Trickeration Bag of head coach Jim France. The 1981 Dolphins had Strock to Harris to Nathan in the famous Hook and Ladder play against the Chargers. Twenty years later, the Manchester Panthers drew up Swain to Calvert to Feesler. Perhaps Tusky Valley should have seen it coming. Manchester ran the same play a week before against Tuslaw. But they didn't. Josh Feesler crossed the goal line, and that stingy Panthers defense held.

"It's was a play we've used quite a bit in practice," quipped France, "but not one we've run a whole lot in real game situations." Perhaps he meant with the game on the line, since it went for a TD the previous week as well. The final passing stats for Ryan Swain? 1 for 7, for nine yards, and a perfect view as a spectator for the most perfect of laterals. Sometimes, one is all you need. The Panthers won again, 13-6, and Tusky Valley would again finish the season with just one loss in conference.

The Postscript

Perhaps still reeling from the difficult loss in Week 5, the Trojans dropped a second nonconference game on the road a week later at St. Thomas Aquinas, a D5 team that finished just 3-7. The 7-3 (5-1) Tusky Valley record was not good enough for a playoff bid, even though they cruised through the rest of their PAC schedule.

What of Manchester? The defense was pretty good. How good? They didn't give up a point again until the postseason. Five straight shutouts earned them the number one seed in Region 13 and a home playoff opener. But then the unthinkable happened. They ran into a 5-5 Youngstown Ursuline team that snuck into the playoffs as the 8 seed. Those five losses? D1 St Eds, D1 Boardman, D1 Harding, eventual D3 State Champ Bishop Watterson and rock fight with Cardinal Mooney. Talk about a bad draw?

Ursuline ended the Manchester season with a 28-10 win and went on to the state semifinal before falling to Portsmouth West, who finished as state runner-up to the Kenton Wildcats.

The season ended much sooner than expected, but Manchester again proved it was the the team to beat in the PAC.

Here's the game story from the local Tusky Valley paper:

View attachment 56182
View attachment 56183
View attachment 56184
View attachment 56185
I was at that game. I was living in Annapolis, Maryland at the time, but I usually came home for two or three weekends a year to visit family. We would run that hook and lateral play in practice all the time, and for me, that was back in the late 70s.

I heard in a conversation yesterday about the chicken at the Bellstores by Walsh College...they said it was pretty good....once again I am out of the food loop....I said food loop...not fruit loop....lol...remember reading somewhere in this thread that chicken was mentioned at Bellstores...I thought it was a food coma talking...lol....so what do I need to know....lol...ShootNation you are not obligated to answer....but looking at your stats I think you should be practicing your three point shooting and not the nation
Walsh College

Was Jim Clark there and did he overenthusiastically in his radio voice yell "HEY EVERYBODY?"
The question of the day is if Hymie Williams was still around would he promote BellStores like he did Pizza Oven?

Last edited:
Smoove: have you tried meditation as a means to solve all of your problems, which are very few, as we all know, as Smoove has way more positives to offer than negatives.

Smoove, have you also mulled over your Comets coming back to PACtionTM?
Smoove's prollemz are Smoove's alone. Smoove don't go to no mind-bender to fixate Smoove. Smoove can manageate Smoove's own mental statification.....but sometimez Smoove just like to have a chickie to bounce things off of once in a while. Smoove really like to bounce big big melons off Smoove's face, but lately, it ain't been so good for Smoove. Smoove have been fightin off the Crud and it ain't been EZ.
Smoove lately been drinkin lots of JAck Daniels Single Barrel that be at like 126 prrof, and it seem to be workifyin' better than any anti-biotic that Dr. Pepper been providin. As SMoove typre, Smoove need to refill, y'all. Pray for Smoove, y'all. Smoove feelin' like the end may be comin' on sooner than later. Fo' Rill. Smoove ain't been so spry and alwayz UP for the concessionary chickies. Smoove actually turnified 2 chickies down for all-niters....Smoove do not recall ever doin' that ever B4!

Berlin Hiland in D 4 state final....play Richmond Hts....Hiland beat Lima Central Catholic 62 to 59 2OT....Richmond Hts beat Russia ( said rooshee) 65 to 52
Richmond Heights beating the Red Army of Russia is about the second most impressive thing I've seen or heard other than Hymie Williams's radio ad for Pizza Oven. And Richmond Heights won without the money laundering of billions of dollars.

I've always liked the "10 team" league setup. Split by area or by size and rotate for football + helps all the other sports fill in their schedules.

If you add Coventry & West Holmes could also add Moggy then would have something for the big & small schools + the east & west schools.

Top Cat dropping knowledge on PACtion2024™!!
So, when I propose the same thing two years ago, I am an idiot. But when TopCat proposes it, he is a genius?

If you can sit through this entire interview show that is worth +13.3 on the tuffness scale and you receive automatic league membership as an individual into the Federal League.

If you go 12:35 into the video for the Pizza Oven radio ad, your life will be changed.

Listened and watched this....

1. Jim Johnson....great voice and style for radio sports...off air was a tough person to like....if you didn't know him and saw him out you would think some what homeless
2. Stark County Hi-Notes in the Saturday edition of the Plain Dealer....I forgot about that...I would try to find a Saturday PD...usually the library
3. Why didn't you warn the unsuspecting that Todd Porter was in this
4. "I will see you the next time will be the best time"
5. "You don't have to play a sport to be a sport"
6. Forgot that the Plain Dealer had a Canton Bureau for them
7. Who is Tim Haverstock
8. Hymie's prediction of my Blue Streaks over Defiance was just a tad off
9. Scott Davis Cameras/Fl. Director....that means Scott and Todd in the same room....wow

Some how I relived the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and 2000's of my life in 28:50 minutes ....I don't know what to say...lol

PAC Game of the Year - 2002 | Manchester at Tusky Valley - The Rematch | Week 5 | September 20, 2002
This is the fourth in an ongoing series, highlighting the PAC Game of the Year in each season, from 1999 through 2023, which will lead up to the start of the 2024 high school football season. For a look back at prior summaries, click here for 1999, 2000 and 2001.

A year removed from the 2001 classic between the Panthers and the Trojans at James R. France Stadium, there was no one who was going to look past the scheduled Week 5 meeting between the same two teams in Zoarville. And safe to say, the rematch lived up to the preseason hype.

Manchester again came into the game undefeated. Tested by Copley in Week 1, the Panthers eked out a 15-14 win to get the season started. They were barely tested the next three weeks, rolling to consecutive victories over Streetsboro, Westdale, (ON) and Tuslaw by a combined 137-0.

That wouldn't be the case in Week 5. Tusky Valley dropped the season opener to perhaps the best Canton South team of the last 30 years that did not have Poochie Snyder on the roster. But the Trojans' rebounded with romps over Indian Valley, Garaway and Fairless, to set up the PAC Game of the Year at Trojan Stadium. And this one lived up to the billing.

The defenses dominated. The Trojans mustered an early first quarter field goal, and Manchester responded three minutes later after the Trojans muffed a punt at their own 7 yard line. Justin McCraney rumbled in from the 7, but like the previous year, a missed extra point would be a big part of the story. Tusky Valley's Mason Weaver blocked the PAT, and the first quarter ended with the Panthers leading 6-3. So did the second. And the third.

The Panthers defense forced three turnovers - two fumbles and a pick, and the game remained a 3-point margin entering the fourth. After another Trojan miscue in the fourth, Manchester advanced deep into Tusky Valley territory, only to breathe life back into the Trojans by fumbling the ball back to the Trojans from inside the red zone. The ensuing drive crossed midfield, but Brody Jackson seemed to ice it with another pick with just over three minutes remaining. But the twists were far from over. The Trojans forced a punt, and somehow hit a 53-yard pass all the way down to the 5 yard line. But they could not finish the drive. Remember that missed PAT? It allowed Tusky Valley to kick a short field goal and tie the game 6-6, to force overtime.

The Panthers finished regulation with 42 rushes for 178 yards on the ground. Quarterback Ryan Swain was 0 of 6 through the air. Manchester lost the coin flip and the Trojans chose to go on defense first. Two rushes yielded a loss of a yard and Manchester faced 3rd and 11 from the 21 in OT.

What came next came deep from the Trickeration Bag of head coach Jim France. The 1981 Dolphins had Strock to Harris to Nathan in the famous Hook and Ladder play against the Chargers. Twenty years later, the Manchester Panthers drew up Swain to Calvert to Feesler. Perhaps Tusky Valley should have seen it coming. Manchester ran the same play a week before against Tuslaw. But they didn't. Josh Feesler crossed the goal line, and that stingy Panthers defense held.

"It's was a play we've used quite a bit in practice," quipped France, "but not one we've run a whole lot in real game situations." Perhaps he meant with the game on the line, since it went for a TD the previous week as well. The final passing stats for Ryan Swain? 1 for 7, for nine yards, and a perfect view as a spectator for the most perfect of laterals. Sometimes, one is all you need. The Panthers won again, 13-6, and Tusky Valley would again finish the season with just one loss in conference.

The Postscript

Perhaps still reeling from the difficult loss in Week 5, the Trojans dropped a second nonconference game on the road a week later at St. Thomas Aquinas, a D5 team that finished just 3-7. The 7-3 (5-1) Tusky Valley record was not good enough for a playoff bid, even though they cruised through the rest of their PAC schedule.

What of Manchester? The defense was pretty good. How good? They didn't give up a point again until the postseason. Five straight shutouts earned them the number one seed in Region 13 and a home playoff opener. But then the unthinkable happened. They ran into a 5-5 Youngstown Ursuline team that snuck into the playoffs as the 8 seed. Those five losses? D1 St Eds, D1 Boardman, D1 Harding, eventual D3 State Champ Bishop Watterson and rock fight with Cardinal Mooney. Talk about a bad draw?

Ursuline ended the Manchester season with a 28-10 win and went on to the state semifinal before falling to Portsmouth West, who finished as state runner-up to the Kenton Wildcats.

The season ended much sooner than expected, but Manchester again proved it was the the team to beat in the PAC.

Here's the game story from the local Tusky Valley paper:

View attachment 56182
View attachment 56183
View attachment 56184
View attachment 56185
Once again....sitting in a stadium I was not at...great read....how do you get these actual paper articles? Lake lost to Hoover 28 to 12 that night....Curt Lukens, who got a scholarship to Ohio State, had been injured was now healthy and they moved him back to tailback. He and the rest of their team kicked our butts

Last edited:
Once again....sitting in a stadium I was not at...great read....how do you get these actual paper articles? Lake lost to Hoover 28 to 12 that night....Chad Lukens, who got a scholarship to Ohio State, had been injured was now healthy and they moved him back to tailback. He and the rest of their team kicked our butts
I'm not sure if my spelling is correct but @cuyahogacuse is a master of the Microfiche machine.

I'm not sure if my spelling is correct but @cuyahogacuse is a master of the Microfiche machine.
If you are talking microfilm....that would be at the library...if that is the case....you have to find the appropriate newspaper, open the right shelf which has the appropriate date and hope it is there, load the tape thru a couple guides on a machine that will take the film and project on a screen...make sure you pick a machine that has a electric winder if not you will be hand cranking, run it for awhile to see what date the paper is at....and they do include the ads... then read and then rewind completely when done. Would you be talking this set up?...lol

If you are talking microfilm....that would be at the library...if that is the case....you have to find the appropriate newspaper, open the right shelf which has the appropriate date and hope it is there, load the tape thru a couple guides on a machine that will take the film and project on a screen...make sure you pick a machine that has a electric winder if not you will be hand cranking, run it for awhile to see what date the paper is at....and they do include the ads... then read and then rewind completely when done. Would you be talking this set up?...lol
There is this new fangled thigamajig called the internet.

In all seriousness, I spent a couple of weeks doing research. Spent about $8 on some web sites that have logged newspapers in a searchable format dating all the way back to the 1800s, which is targeted to folks who like geneology. But in this case, it’s the sports section I was looking for. This would have been nearly impossible years ago. Now … you just have to know where to look. :)