#PACtion™ 2024

PAC Game of the Year - 2001 | Tusky Valley at Manchester | Week 5 | September 22, 2001
This is the third in an ongoing series, highlighting the PAC Game of the Year in each season, from 1999 through 2023, which will lead up to the start of the 2024 high school football season. For a look back at prior summaries, click here for 1999 and here for 2000.

At the start of the 2001 season, Manchester entered the year having won 26 PAC games in a row, dating back to the final game of the 1995 regular season, and they were 68-2 in conference since the inception of the league in 1989. But the Panthers started the 2001 campaign slowly. They dropped the opener after a three-hour bus ride on the road at Lehman Catholic 31-14. Things looked better a week later when they recorded a 19-0 shutout of Norton. But another long road trip in Week 3 yielded a 17-12 loss to Hamilton Badin. Suddenly, the Panthers were under .500.

The ship was righted again in the PAC opener in Week 4, as the Panthers easily dispatched Tuslaw 22-0, and it set up a Week 5 matchup with Tusky Valley. The Trojans were undefeated through four games (Canton South, Indian Valley, Garraway and Fairless) and were trending upward after a pair of 6-4 seasons. But this game didn't have the hype in Week 5 that the Manchester-Tuslaw games of the prior two years had. Perhaps it was because the bloom was off the Manchester rose a bit, after the shaky 2-2 start.

There was no major newspaper coverage at James R. France Stadium, and it didn't help that the game had to be postponed to Saturday either.

What ensued was a defensive struggle. The teams played a scoreless first half, before Manchester got on the board midway through the third quarter when senior wide receiver Mark Groza caught a 12-yard touchdown pass. Nick Manson kicked the extra point, and the Panthers led 7-0. The lead held up until Tusky Valley's Dan Kane responded with his own 12-yard touchdown pass to receiver Doug Cox with under three minutes to play in regulation.

This was a Saturday game, so the game report in The Beacon Journal was one short on details and a bit cobbled together. It refers to a lead change as a result of the the Panthers' third quarter touchdown, which is erroneous, as it was the first score of the game.

What we do know is that The Manchester Mystique made an appearance just in the nick of time. The Trojans set up for the extra point, and ... "the kick went under the crossbar." Here's the game summary from the ABJ:

Manchester-Tusky Valley_2001_Blurb.png

That's it. Game over. Manchester 7 Tusky Valley 6. The Panthers went to 3-2 (1-0 in the PAC). Tusky Valley dropped to 4-1 (0-1). Both teams had half the season to go.

The PostScript

Sometimes you don't realize the game of the year has happened until after the fact. Neither team would lose again in the regular season. The Trojans would go on to outscore their final five opponents 198-42, before dropping a first round playoff game.

Manchester would again go undefeated in the PAC, and they were even more dominant, walloping their five remaining foes 273-26, enroute to their 12th PAC championship in 13 years.

The two early season losses earned them a 6 seed - the first time Manchester qualified for the playoffs through benefit of the expanded 8-seed tournament, which had been in place since 1999. This time, they took care of business on the road, unlike earlier in the year, in a 16-13 with at Perry up by the nuclear power plant.

In fact, the Panthers might have marched to another state title run had they not run into a team that had at its disposal perhaps the greatest athlete of the 21st century the next week in Week 12. Manchester came out and in typical Panthers style, punched their opponent in the mouth at The Rubber Bowl in the Regional Semifinal, rolling up 121 yards on the ground in the first quarter. But ... when you've got LeBron James on your team, you're going to win more often than not. And that's just what St. Vincent St. Mary did. Future Manchester head coach Jay Brophy was the head man for the Irish, and he saw the football version of James catch a 39-yard touchdown pass and reel in six catches for 136 yards receiving as the Irish took control in a 38-14 victory that ended the Panthers' season.

Manchester finished 9-3. Tusky Valley finished 9-2 after a first-round playoff loss to Fairfield Union. And LeBron James' football career would last two more weeks, before the Irish were eliminated in the Division 4 state semifinals. After that, he became The Chosen One. And the rest, as they say is history.
1710453402776.png

This was back in 1996. My recollection is that Harrison was ejected for doing a crotch grab dance at the Tusky Valley sideline after a QB sack. Being ejected from that game resulted in being disqualified for the next game, which was at Manchester. Back in October I listed that game as one of my Top 10 for Manchester, remembered as Manchester's Mighty Mites vs. the Coventry Hog Pound.

Koach and Big Mo faced off for the first time in 1976, ending in a 0-0 tie. 1979 and 1982 were Koach's wins over Mo while he was at Orrville. I'm not sure when Mo left Orrville and when he landed at Coventry.

We can all speculate on why Coventry left the PAC after the 2004-05 year. My recollection is that the entire league got tired of the antics at Coventry and they showed them the door. From about 1969 (when Coventry vandalized the Manchester high school building) through the mid 2000s there was always a lack of discipline at that school. Maybe it was the pollution coming from Akron, feeding into the mighty Tuscarawas and the Portage Lakes drinking water, who knows, but there was always some garbage coming out of them. It only got worse as South Akron invaded that district, seeking to get away from the armpit known as Akron. While Mo helped them win football games, he was not a disciplinarian!

Best note saved for last - Mo's last game ever as a coach was at Coventry, a game that he lost to Manchester and Koach. What a way to say adios!
Yeah, and he had to roll in on a golf cart for his obesity.

Dan Stultz from Orrville at one time held several OSU kicking records. I think that was pre-PACtion though.
Played against him. He was kicking the ball from the 50 at the old rubber bowl when we played there in the first playoff game in '95. He was awesome. It kinda deflated us watching him kick that thinking- gosh, if they get the the 35, they are scoring. Tough game that day played in a literal hurricane. Schidewolf as a senior wanted me to get back into the locker room and grab his long sleeve shirt, but it does didn't. Haha. Just small memories like that which can me back.

Last edited:
I have a schedule update for you that you maybe interested in....Lake is playing McKeesport week 1 at Woodland Hills...we are the opening game of the showcase that will be taking place there...2 games on Friday and 3 games on Saturday
I got the chance to ride my bike along the mighty Monongahela r. on the Great Allegheny Passage trail through McKeesport a few years back. We rode from Pittsburg to DC covering 440 miles in 4 days. There's a historical marker in McKeesport but I forget what went down there. @Blue- you're the historian, you might know?

I got the chance to ride my bike along the mighty Monongahela r. on the Great Allegheny Passage trail through McKeesport a few years back. We rode from Pittsburg to DC covering 440 miles in 4 days. There's a historical marker in McKeesport but I forget what went down there. @Blue- you're the historian, you might know?
Not the historian....just older...lol....am not as versed in Western Pa history....but is this the marker you saw

PAC Game of the Year - 2001 | Tusky Valley at Manchester | Week 5 | September 22, 2001
This is the third in an ongoing series, highlighting the PAC Game of the Year in each season, from 1999 through 2023, which will lead up to the start of the 2024 high school football season. For a look back at prior summaries, click here for 1999 and here for 2000.

At the start of the 2001 season, Manchester entered the year having won 26 PAC games in a row, dating back to the final game of the 1995 regular season, and they were 68-2 in conference since the inception of the league in 1989. But the Panthers started the 2001 campaign slowly. They dropped the opener after a three-hour bus ride on the road at Lehman Catholic 31-14. Things looked better a week later when they recorded a 19-0 shutout of Norton. But another long road trip in Week 3 yielded a 17-12 loss to Hamilton Badin. Suddenly, the Panthers were under .500.

The ship was righted again in the PAC opener in Week 4, as the Panthers easily dispatched Tuslaw 22-0, and it set up a Week 5 matchup with Tusky Valley. The Trojans were undefeated through four games (Canton South, Indian Valley, Garraway and Fairless) and were trending upward after a pair of 6-4 seasons. But this game didn't have the hype in Week 5 that the Manchester-Tuslaw games of the prior two years had. Perhaps it was because the bloom was off the Manchester rose a bit, after the shaky 2-2 start.

There was no major newspaper coverage at James R. France Stadium, and it didn't help that the game had to be postponed to Saturday either.

What ensued was a defensive struggle. The teams played a scoreless first half, before Manchester got on the board midway through the third quarter when senior wide receiver Mark Groza caught a 12-yard touchdown pass. Nick Manson kicked the extra point, and the Panthers led 7-0. The lead held up until Tusky Valley's Dan Kane responded with his own 12-yard touchdown pass to receiver Doug Cox with under three minutes to play in regulation.

This was a Saturday game, so the game report in The Beacon Journal was one short on details and a bit cobbled together. It refers to a lead change as a result of the the Panthers' third quarter touchdown, which is erroneous, as it was the first score of the game.

What we do know is that The Manchester Mystique made an appearance just in the nick of time. The Trojans set up for the extra point, and ... "the kick went under the crossbar." Here's the game summary from the ABJ:

View attachment 55808

That's it. Game over. Manchester 7 Tusky Valley 6. The Panthers went to 3-2 (1-0 in the PAC). Tusky Valley dropped to 4-1 (0-1). Both teams had half the season to go.

The PostScript

Sometimes you don't realize the game of the year has happened until after the fact. Neither team would lose again in the regular season. The Trojans would go on to outscore their final five opponents 198-42, before dropping a first round playoff game.

Manchester would again go undefeated in the PAC, and they were even more dominant, walloping their five remaining foes 273-26, enroute to their 12th PAC championship in 13 years.

The two early season losses earned them a 6 seed - the first time Manchester qualified for the playoffs through benefit of the expanded 8-seed tournament, which had been in place since 1999. This time, they took care of business on the road, unlike earlier in the year, in a 16-13 with at Perry up by the nuclear power plant.

In fact, the Panthers might have marched to another state title run had they not run into a team that had at its disposal perhaps the greatest athlete of the 21st century the next week in Week 12. Manchester came out and in typical Panthers style, punched their opponent in the mouth at The Rubber Bowl in the Regional Semifinal, rolling up 121 yards on the ground in the first quarter. But ... when you've got LeBron James on your team, you're going to win more often than not. And that's just what St. Vincent St. Mary did. Future Manchester head coach Jay Brophy was the head man for the Irish, and he saw the football version of James catch a 39-yard touchdown pass and reel in six catches for 136 yards receiving as the Irish took control in a 38-14 victory that ended the Panthers' season.

Manchester finished 9-3. Tusky Valley finished 9-2 after a first-round playoff loss to Fairfield Union. And LeBron James' football career would last two more weeks, before the Irish were eliminated in the Division 4 state semifinals. After that, he became The Chosen One. And the rest, as they say is history.
View attachment 55810
Another great read....why was this game on Saturday Night at Manchester? Interesting fact Tusky Valley was a school that put in lights late to their stadium....for years they played at 2 pm on Saturday...kind of ironic they played Manchester on a Saturday. Also the offensive coordinator for St V those games was Coach Dan DeGeorge...he was there for 2 years...he said Lebron could throw a frozen rope 70 yards. Lake beat Wooster 21 to 14 the night before.

Another great read....why was this game on Saturday Night at Manchester? Interesting fact Tusky Valley was a school that put in lights late to their stadium....for years they played at 2 pm on Saturday...kind of ironic they played Manchester on a Saturday. Also the offensive coordinator for St V those games was Coach Dan DeGeorge...he was there for 2 years...he said Lebron could throw a frozen rope 70 yards. Lake beat Wooster 21 to 14 the night before.
That Manchester - TV game was actually a regular Friday night game that got postponed due to a weather delay - big storm rolled through that evening. The game was played on Saturday night instead.

I realize y'all are hoping for some conspiracy theory on the missed extra point kick, but the fact is that Tusky's place kicker was also a soccer player and he chose to play in their soccer match that night. It was their back-up kicker that hit a low ball that went under the crossbar. Or maybe Koach did put some hex on the kid ......

Two names popped out in the article - Mark Groza and Colby Staubs. Excellent examples of PACtion student-athletes. Groza (yes, a distant relative of Lou The Toe), went to the U of Akron on a football scholarship and played LB for them, played on the team that won the MAC but lost their bowl game to Memphis. Went on to earn his Ph. D. in business and last I heard was working at N. Illinois Univ. Staubs walked on to The Ohio State University football team, I don't recall him ever getting any playing time, but from what I heard walked out of there with a 2002 National Championship ring and is a chiropractor in Florida. Not bad for two small town guys.

I vividly remember playing against Tusky at their no-lights stadium on a Saturday afternoon in 1977. They had the toughest guy I ever went against in Brad Reece at linebacker. Knock your head off and tell you to come back for more type of tuffness. He went on to the U of Akron and became a Little All-American at LB (Akron was Div II back then so "Little All-American" was the designation). We lost that game 11-8 on a late FG by Tusky.

This is the third in an ongoing series, highlighting the PAC Game of the Year in each season, from 1999 through 2023, which will lead up to the start of the 2024 high school football season. For a look back at prior summaries, click here for 1999 and here for
The Martini years at Tusky Valley were the golden era of that program. They were firing on all cylinders.

I got posterized by Lebron in the round ball tournament that next year down in Steubenville. There were all these articles talking about the hummer somebody bought him and people were making hay that the OHSAA was going to suspend him, but as a thumb in their eye he spent warmups during that game playing with an RC hummer car bouncing it off peoples ankles on the court. Then he put like 40 on us.

Great read, thanks.

That Manchester - TV game was actually a regular Friday night game that got postponed due to a weather delay - big storm rolled through that evening. The game was played on Saturday night instead.

I realize y'all are hoping for some conspiracy theory on the missed extra point kick, but the fact is that Tusky's place kicker was also a soccer player and he chose to play in their soccer match that night. It was their back-up kicker that hit a low ball that went under the crossbar. Or maybe Koach did put some hex on the kid ......

Two names popped out in the article - Mark Groza and Colby Staubs. Excellent examples of PACtion student-athletes. Groza (yes, a distant relative of Lou The Toe), went to the U of Akron on a football scholarship and played LB for them, played on the team that won the MAC but lost their bowl game to Memphis. Went on to earn his Ph. D. in business and last I heard was working at N. Illinois Univ. Staubs walked on to The Ohio State University football team, I don't recall him ever getting any playing time, but from what I heard walked out of there with a 2002 National Championship ring and is a chiropractor in Florida. Not bad for two small town guys.

I vividly remember playing against Tusky at their no-lights stadium on a Saturday afternoon in 1977. They had the toughest guy I ever went against in Brad Reece at linebacker. Knock your head off and tell you to come back for more type of tuffness. He went on to the U of Akron and became a Little All-American at LB (Akron was Div II back then so "Little All-American" was the designation). We lost that game 11-8 on a late FG by Tusky.
Great insight and color to fill in the missing pieces on the story.

So what we’re taking away from this is there was no conspiracy. But perhaps in addition to his coaching prowess, perhaps Koach ordered up the big Friday storm to ensure the most important TV player - the kicker - would not be available a day later. Sounds plausible. 🤦‍♂️

Outstanding info on Groza and Staubs.

The Martini years at Tusky Valley were the golden era of that program. They were firing on all cylinders.

I got posterized by Lebron in the round ball tournament that next year down in Steubenville. There were all these articles talking about the hummer somebody bought him and people were making hay that the OHSAA was going to suspend him, but as a thumb in their eye he spent warmups during that game playing with an RC hummer car bouncing it off peoples ankles on the court. Then he put like 40 on us.

Great read, thanks.
Car dealership fun fact. The infamous LeBron James Hummer was at my dealership for service 2 years ago. It's still completely bad a $$ and looks amazing.

Played against him. He was kicking the ball from the 50 at the old rubber bowl when we played there in the first playoff game in '95. He was awesome. It kinda deflated us watching him kick that thinking- gosh, if they get the the 35, they are scoring. Tough game that day played in a literal hurricane. Schidewolf as a senior wanted me to get back into the locker room and grab his long sleeve shirt, but it does didn't. Haha. Just small memories like that which can me back.
I think I was at that game.🍻 Was that the game where Old Glory got ripped off the flag pole and flew away? I remember the light poles were swaying in the wind and all the trash cans were full of busted umbrellas. The wind was blowing straight at the visitor side where Manchester's crowd was sitting. Had a tough time walking back to the car after the game.
Wind Conan Obrien GIF by Team Coco

Great insight and color to fill in the missing pieces on the story.

So what we’re taking away from this is there was no conspiracy. But perhaps in addition to his coaching prowess, perhaps Koach ordered up the big Friday storm to ensure the most important TV player - the kicker - would not be available a day later. Sounds plausible. 🤦‍♂️

Outstanding info on Groza and Staubs.
Koach did this one year to Copley. They were down 0-13 at half when they stopped play. Play resumed on Saturday when they pulled off the upset 14-13.

I think I was at that game.🍻 Was that the game where Old Glory got ripped off the flag pole and flew away? I remember the light poles were swaying in the wind and all the trash cans were full of busted umbrellas. The wind was blowing straight at the visitor side where Manchester's crowd was sitting. Had a tough time walking back to the car after the game.
Wind Conan Obrien GIF by Team Coco
That's the one. When we ran out into the field a waterspout had formed in the middle of the bowl.

Koach did this one year to Copley. They were down 0-13 at half when they stopped play. Play resumed on Saturday when they pulled off the upset 14-13.
Game #8 out of my Top Ten from France stadium (I'm getting a lot of mileage out of that list!)

8. Aug 23, 2002 vs. Copley – After falling behind early, it took a 24 hour storm delay for the Panthers to figure out how to pull out a 15-14 win. It was a win that everyone said we couldn’t pull off against the bigger boys. Never underestimate the ability of Koach and Doc Robinson to adjust a game plan when they have a chance!

Start your Konspiracy theories!

Start your Konspiracy theories!
No exactly Konspiracies but since you asked . . .
1. That year Copley team only beat 1 team with a winning record the entire season
2. That year Manchester only played 2 teams with a winning record in the regular season
3. While the Panthers D was PROLIFIC that year, they did play a team from Wetdale, Ontario and the Harmonty Community school (a predecessor to Bishop Sycamore by the sounds of this article: https://www.fox19.com/story/7742540/ohio-attorney-gen-files-suit-against-harmony-school/) winning by a combined 96-0.
4. The only people who say the Panthers have "no chance" to win a game played at James R France stadium are those that have never watched a Panthers game at James R France stadium.

No exactly Konspiracies but since you asked . . .
1. That year Copley team only beat 1 team with a winning record the entire season
2. That year Manchester only played 2 teams with a winning record in the regular season
3. While the Panthers D was PROLIFIC that year, they did play a team from Wetdale, Ontario and the Harmonty Community school (a predecessor to Bishop Sycamore by the sounds of this article: https://www.fox19.com/story/7742540/ohio-attorney-gen-files-suit-against-harmony-school/) winning by a combined 96-0.
4. The only people who say the Panthers have "no chance" to win a game played at James R France stadium are those that have never watched a Panthers game at James R France stadium.
Clayton and Natali Morris of the cult underground favorite YouTube news outlet Redacted (https://redacted.inc/) are all over the Konspiracies story:

1710528376254.png

View attachment 55808

The PostScript

View attachment 55810
this pure PACtion gold

groza was more tight end seam runner than wide reciever tho

funny cuz to me he was a defensive monster and punished opponents to near assault charges by mommies in the stands!!!!!!
epitome of tuffness - I can't imagine a student wanting to contest a grade with him as a PHD working at a university

He was the type of player when you watch a football game moving faster than everyone else and hitting harder than everyone else, not uncommon to just lock eyes on him and watch him because he was going to take you to the ball and then freaking demolish whoever had the ball.

My man Willie Ames definitely had @Smoove Mooves game back in the day!

View attachment 55667
Smoove just gotted out of Special Secret Prohibitionation Jail last night, y'all. Smoove seent there been lots of stuff postified up in here since Smoove beent 'round. THAT good, rill good. Smoove still not feelin' the best Smoove could feel, considerin' Smoove foundated Smoove gots to start watchifyin' what Smoove eat and drink. WHO think they gonna tell Smoove what Smoove can put in Smoove's belly?! Doctor No-Fun, that who!! Smoove might tryinfy it for a few dayz, but Smoove ain't sold that cuttin' out red meat and liquor gonna make Smoove feel better!
Naw, all y'all knoify Smoove and do Smoove have a drinkin' Prollem??? H-E-double toothpicks NAh! Smoove never over-do it. Smoove keep it on the level and on tha rill! Smoove don't drank too much.....SHOOT, Smoove yellifyed at Smoove's doctor when Doc told Smoove, "Mr. Smoove, you really need to watch and moderate your intake of red meat and alcohol."
"WHAT?!?! Who you think you is to tell Smoove what Smoove can put inot Smoove's mouff and body? You a doctor of somepin?"
"Yes, Mr. Smoove, I am a doctor, trained and licensed, sir. It will be in your best short-term health, and long-term prognosis of living a healthy and productive lifesrtyle."
"MAn, Smoove need to thinkify aboucht this. No meat....Smoove love Smoove's self some meat, baby. No hootch, THAT might be a B*#$!, NO WAY! Smoove do think Smoove could do it for a couple dayz, but forever??? Hecks to tha NO! That what give Smoove his Smoovishness that the Concessionary Chickies love so much. THAT bring out the personalitification that eherone love so much aboucht Smoove and what makes Smoove, Smoove. Sure, Smoove gots skillz beyond the above average male person; Sure Smoove got mad mad, mad game when it come to most sport games and gamez of skill; and Sure, Smoove just got the mad abilities to make chickies skirts or pants just basically fall off, but lots of those naturally, builtified-in abilities are amplified by hootch. How can Smoove stop having the normally sober Smoove who is cool, calm, collected and awesome, and cut out alcohol and hootch which give Smoove the added magical touches to become SMOOVE MOOVES which make the chickies just want to get down for anything, get down with Smoove for the NASTay?? How? Smoove need to go get a drink and try to figure this dilemma out......Smoove think this is just outrageous and andlandish that this "Doctor" think he can tell Smoove what to do.....
Smoove out.,

Smoove just gotted out of Special Secret Prohibitionation Jail last night, y'all. Smoove seent there been lots of stuff postified up in here since Smoove beent 'round. THAT good, rill good. Smoove still not feelin' the best Smoove could feel, considerin' Smoove foundated Smoove gots to start watchifyin' what Smoove eat and drink. WHO think they gonna tell Smoove what Smoove can put in Smoove's belly?! Doctor No-Fun, that who!! Smoove might tryinfy it for a few dayz, but Smoove ain't sold that cuttin' out red meat and liquor gonna make Smoove feel better!
Naw, all y'all knoify Smoove and do Smoove have a drinkin' Prollem??? H-E-double toothpicks NAh! Smoove never over-do it. Smoove keep it on the level and on tha rill! Smoove don't drank too much.....SHOOT, Smoove yellifyed at Smoove's doctor when Doc told Smoove, "Mr. Smoove, you really need to watch and moderate your intake of red meat and alcohol."
"WHAT?!?! Who you think you is to tell Smoove what Smoove can put inot Smoove's mouff and body? You a doctor of somepin?"
"Yes, Mr. Smoove, I am a doctor, trained and licensed, sir. It will be in your best short-term health, and long-term prognosis of living a healthy and productive lifesrtyle."
"MAn, Smoove need to thinkify aboucht this. No meat....Smoove love Smoove's self some meat, baby. No hootch, THAT might be a B*#$!, NO WAY! Smoove do think Smoove could do it for a couple dayz, but forever??? Hecks to tha NO! That what give Smoove his Smoovishness that the Concessionary Chickies love so much. THAT bring out the personalitification that eherone love so much aboucht Smoove and what makes Smoove, Smoove. Sure, Smoove gots skillz beyond the above average male person; Sure Smoove got mad mad, mad game when it come to most sport games and gamez of skill; and Sure, Smoove just got the mad abilities to make chickies skirts or pants just basically fall off, but lots of those naturally, builtified-in abilities are amplified by hootch. How can Smoove stop having the normally sober Smoove who is cool, calm, collected and awesome, and cut out alcohol and hootch which give Smoove the added magical touches to become SMOOVE MOOVES which make the chickies just want to get down for anything, get down with Smoove for the NASTay?? How? Smoove need to go get a drink and try to figure this dilemma out......Smoove think this is just outrageous and andlandish that this "Doctor" think he can tell Smoove what to do.....
Smoove out.,
Smoove: have you tried meditation as a means to solve all of your problems, which are very few, as we all know, as Smoove has way more positives to offer than negatives.

Smoove, have you also mulled over your Comets coming back to PACtionTM?

@Mikefln the Steelers front office has been busy. Are you stoked or staying neutral waiting to see what happens?

Also Duquesne in the NCAA March Madness that's gotta be hot in the South Hills.

Watching that game vs VCU Sunday gave me a bloody nose it was so tuff with that defense and rebounding effort.

If I run the Pirates, and yinz wish I would, Keith Dambrot is throwing out the first pitch of opening day unless Michael Keaton wants to do it.