#PACtion™ 2024

Oh 30 was a pain going thru there especially when there was a train....I had to go that way to get to Lima...the hospitals in most of those towns were to small for the products that I worked with....they would move those patients to Mansfield, Columbus, Cleveland, or in some cases Toledo. The car plants that were large and American most closed....seemed to be a pattern...the plants in Lorain were huge....Lordstown did hang on but did close...the Honda plant at Marysville is huge...I think a lot of people do not realize how big they were or are...and all the steel plants over in the valley in Youngstown...they were large and they tore all those down
The Regime in charge of the globalist American Empire thinks we can be policeman of the world while using foreign made bullets. It's a clown show and we're paying for it.

Bring manufacturing back. Bring back the Massillon steel mills and seeing that orange blast furnace off in the distance from Myers Elementary School off Pigeon Run in The Slaw. Bring it back.

Manufacturing jobs lead to service jobs and managerial jobs for college grads. A win-win-win.

Some towns in Ohio have done their best, better than others, like Massillon and Wooster, but it's really challenging when the entire deck is slanted towards Wall Street and multinational corporate interests and their financiers at BlackRock, Vanguard, Goldman Sucks, State Street, etc.

As for US 30 west of Mansfield in the old days, it was dangerous with too many fatal wrecks.

US 30 need to be 4-lanes to 376 in Western PA and US 62 needs to be 4-lanes to SR 11 east of Salem and to PA 51 at the PA state line. I-71 needs 3-lanes to Cincinnati for crying out loud. It would open up economic opportunity.

But we'll send billions to Ukraine for a stalemate, unwinnable war instead.

It's as foolish as the Indians signing Keith Hernandez.

This is what happens when the nerds run the show.

Last edited:
The Regime in charge of this nation thinks we can be policeman of the world while using foreign made bullets.

Bring back the steel mills of Massillon and

The Regime in charge of the globalist American Empire thinks we can be policeman of the world while using foreign made bullets. It's a clown show and we're paying for it.

Bring manufacturing back. Bring back the Massillon steel mills and seeing that orange blast furnace off in the distance from Myers Elementary School off Pigeon Run in The Slaw. Bring it back.

As for US 30 west of Mansfield in the old days, it was dangerous with too many fatal wrecks.
I believe in what you say....does the EPA? They have to justify their jobs so lets keep making regulations..one other thing our parents and grand parents would do the hard work in a mill or plant..do we have that work force now...and yes US 30 especially west of Upper Sandusky was scary....people would pass or not pass all those semi's making for a dangerous game of russian roulette with cars.

I believe in what you say....does the EPA? They have to justify their jobs so lets keep making regulations..one other thing our parents and grand parents would do the hard work in a mill or plant..do we have that work force now...and yes US 30 especially west of Upper Sandusky was scary....people would pass or not pass all those semi's making for a dangerous game of russian roulette with cars.
We can have it again.... it takes commitment and an educated population. It takes time and bravery.

Manufacturing jobs lead to service jobs and managerial jobs for college grads. A win-win-win.

Some towns in Ohio have done their best, better than others, like Massillon and Wooster, but it's really challenging when the entire deck is slanted towards Wall Street and multinational corporate interests and their financiers at BlackRock, Vanguard, Goldman Sucks, State Street, etc.

US 30 need to be 4-lanes to 376 in Western PA and US 62 needs to be 4-lanes to SR 11 east of Salem and to PA 51 at the PA state line. I-71 needs 3-lanes to Cincinnati for crying out loud. It would open up economic opportunity.

But we'll send billions to Ukraine for a stalemate, unwinnable war instead.

It's as foolish as the Indians signing Keith Hernandez.

This is what happens when the nerds run the show.
There are many towns in Western PA that need that steel mill more than Massillon does (Monessen, Aliquippa, McKeesport, Johnstown, etc). Also keep in mind, with automation having a steel mill or car plant does not mean 10,000+ jobs anymore. You would be lucky to have a 1,000 jobs which is better than nothing.

With that said, I support everything you said here.

Last edited:
I take a few hours off from Yappi for baseball practice and a walk around the neighborhood, and next thing you know #PACtion™ is 3 pages deeper than when I left. Sigh...

On a different note, since we are talking about #PACtion™ connections and someone mentioned Jake Diebler, Triway's DII state runner-up basketball team in 2005 lost in the state championship led by Division II POY Jake Diebler and his younger brother, Jon. To my knowledge, that is still the highest-scoring state tournament game in Division II history, and the highest attended since. The next year Triway lost in the state title game to Dayton Dunbar with Daequan Cook, Norris Cole, and Aaron Pogue.

Also, I think "Big Red" is the dumbest mascot name in sports. Sounds like chewing gum or something.

Also, I think "Big Red" is the dumbest mascot name in sports. Sounds like chewing gum or something.
It is better then naming a natural disaster a color. In the WPIAL there is a Red Hurricanes and Golden Tornados. Why the need to add a color? Just be the Hurricanes and Tornados!

Hey now I get to finally say I saw Lake win that night...lol...we beat New Philly at New Philly 6 to 0...started the season 0 and 2...lost to Garfield 21 to 0 and to Wooster 27 to 14...Wooster won the second year of the Fed being a split league....they had a real good team with Andrew DeLoach, a great running back....he was All-Ohio that year with Robert Smith from Euclid and THEE Ohio State
I played against Deloach. I played at John Adams in Cleveland and we played Wooster OOC during that era. That guy was a monster.

I know that was week 9....did he get ejected for the double bird or for fights....there were numerous fights in this game.
This was back in 1996. My recollection is that Harrison was ejected for doing a crotch grab dance at the Tusky Valley sideline after a QB sack. Being ejected from that game resulted in being disqualified for the next game, which was at Manchester. Back in October I listed that game as one of my Top 10 for Manchester, remembered as Manchester's Mighty Mites vs. the Coventry Hog Pound.

Koach and Big Mo faced off for the first time in 1976, ending in a 0-0 tie. 1979 and 1982 were Koach's wins over Mo while he was at Orrville. I'm not sure when Mo left Orrville and when he landed at Coventry.

We can all speculate on why Coventry left the PAC after the 2004-05 year. My recollection is that the entire league got tired of the antics at Coventry and they showed them the door. From about 1969 (when Coventry vandalized the Manchester high school building) through the mid 2000s there was always a lack of discipline at that school. Maybe it was the pollution coming from Akron, feeding into the mighty Tuscarawas and the Portage Lakes drinking water, who knows, but there was always some garbage coming out of them. It only got worse as South Akron invaded that district, seeking to get away from the armpit known as Akron. While Mo helped them win football games, he was not a disciplinarian!

Best note saved for last - Mo's last game ever as a coach was at Coventry, a game that he lost to Manchester and Koach. What a way to say adios!

This was back in 1996. My recollection is that Harrison was ejected for doing a crotch grab dance at the Tusky Valley sideline after a QB sack. Being ejected from that game resulted in being disqualified for the next game, which was at Manchester. Back in October I listed that game as one of my Top 10 for Manchester, remembered as Manchester's Mighty Mites vs. the Coventry Hog Pound.

Koach and Big Mo faced off for the first time in 1976, ending in a 0-0 tie. 1979 and 1982 were Koach's wins over Mo while he was at Orrville. I'm not sure when Mo left Orrville and when he landed at Coventry.

We can all speculate on why Coventry left the PAC after the 2004-05 year. My recollection is that the entire league got tired of the antics at Coventry and they showed them the door. From about 1969 (when Coventry vandalized the Manchester high school building) through the mid 2000s there was always a lack of discipline at that school. Maybe it was the pollution coming from Akron, feeding into the mighty Tuscarawas and the Portage Lakes drinking water, who knows, but there was always some garbage coming out of them. It only got worse as South Akron invaded that district, seeking to get away from the armpit known as Akron. While Mo helped them win football games, he was not a disciplinarian!

Best note saved for last - Mo's last game ever as a coach was at Coventry, a game that he lost to Manchester and Koach. What a way to say adios!
How good was Coventry in 1998...I know Lake had played them twice...once in 1957 and then in 1998....was Mo still coaching them in 1998...they came to our place and we beat them 47 to 0...but I remember nothing of that game

With @Mikefln's post this morning ... it's the perfect segue into a BONUS PAC Game of the Year post. The goal of this series is to prompt discussion and help us count down the weeks to the new 2024 season. And after last week's second post of the series, @bootleg reached out directly and asked if I was planning to go back to the start of the PAC to recap any games. Perhaps if I had started with 35 weeks left before the season, I would have. But the calendar dictated that this would be a 25 games in 25 weeks series. That said ... looking back at that initial PAC season in 1989, when considering PAC history, the discussion will always start with Manchester. And ... when you look at the numbers, was there ever a better Panthers squad than the 1989 edition?

The 1989 Panthers were unblemished heading into the Regional Final. Manchester recorded 8 shutouts in 12 games and outscored their opponents 482-36. Has there ever been a more dominant PAC team? Here are Manchester games.
View attachment 55744

And yet, despite the dominance of the Panthers, that PAC was not a one-team race. The league championship was decided in Week 6. You see, the East Canton Hornets weren't just another opponent. This edition of the Hornets was the best team in school history. The teams were both undefeated heading into Week 6, and the Hornets finished the regular season with just one loss - of course to Manchester:
View attachment 55746

The Canton Repository tells the story of the events of Friday September 29, 1989. The Panthers forced seven! turnovers, but there was, of course, some of that Manchester mystique at work, as the game was not without a bit of controversy as the men in stripes made a crucial call that went the way of the visitors. It probably wouldn't have impacted the final result. But you never know. Read on:
View attachment 55747

I'll let @bootleg take it from here, as he shared with me his personal recollection of the night and the key play:

"That year was the first and that game probably had more people at it than most the games in Stark County."

"The second half kickoff was a big play - the rule is the receiving team has to have a chance to catch the ball."

"Manchester guys all ran back to set up return - the ball hit the ground making it a free ball. The ref was out of position running back as well and said EC caught it in the air, which they didn't. The problem was the kid they said caught the ball may have touched it before it hit the ground but he was diving for it and a different kid is who came up with it. It all happened so fast, hard to see what actually happened but it was right in front of France and the Manchester bench and old Koach definitely was in the refs ears. LOL It paused the game for a hot minute but the result gave Manchester the ball on the 35 going in. If EC gets the ball where they recovered it - they would have had about a 40 yard field to score. End of game EC switched to what we would call a spread offense and was having some success."

"Both teams hit all game - and Leland Phillips was a talent and lived up to the billing."

"Mihalik and Joseph were a tough combo running the ball. Thought this Manchester team was as tough as any other that came after and had great success. Warren JFK beat Manchester 7-0 I think. JFK was stacked and was pushing title game several years in that time period."

The Warren JFK Regional Final game was actually a 14-6 JFK victory. The Eagles advanced to the Division 4 State Championship game before falling in the final to Wheelersburg by a touchdown.

But let there be no doubt as this series continues that the 1989 Panthers squad should have a special place in the pantheon of greatest PAC teams since the inception of the conference. Thanks to @bootleg for the prompting to look this one up.

Back tomorrow with regularly scheduled Week 3 of the series as we'll look at the Game of the Year from 2001.
I love how you tie a lot of available information in your historical posts...how did you get this story of the game that was written in the Rep..You have an actual copy of the story, are you an info wizard like Mr. Slippery? Did you go to the library and copy it from the microfilm? I am thinking the ability to have this at your access on the internet would be a awesome.

Along with cuyahogacuse's statements
watched many Manchester teams with powerful running back, Staubs, Mick, to name a few....
Joseph and Mihalek were just different. Ran different, hit the hole hard and just seemed to have that attitude on the field.
I don't downplay any of the great teams Manchester had over the years - obviously their state title appearance team is notable.

However the 89 team (90 Grad class) were the epitome of tuffness
Their stats don't lie and the JFK game many of the fellas on the team felt they should have won it - they stuffed JFK nearly the entire game but JFK did bust a long run for a td which decided their fate.

We all have those teams that were awesome to us individually due to how they played the game.

I did some back checking calling some old pals had a friend who played at WRA back then. He told me WRA was riding a 33 game win streak when they dropped week 1 to EC and that the game was reported upon in the USA Today paper. Sorry I have no way to verify this.

I called it. I might be the only one who cares but I called it:

Screenshot_20240314-141827-490.png

DOLTMANN can take DePaul from 3-27 to 1-29.

Last edited:
I remember being at an Orrville vs Wooster football game at Wooster's old stadium. Orrville and Wooster sat together on the homeside because the visitor side was pretty much non-existent. Every time Orrville would score, sticks of Big Red chewing gum would go flying in the stands. Orrville scored a lot and I went home with a lot of Big Red chewing gum😁

I take a few hours off from Yappi for baseball practice and a walk around the neighborhood, and next thing you know #PACtion™ is 3 pages deeper than when I left. Sigh...

On a different note, since we are talking about #PACtion™ connections and someone mentioned Jake Diebler, Triway's DII state runner-up basketball team in 2005 lost in the state championship led by Division II POY Jake Diebler and his younger brother, Jon. To my knowledge, that is still the highest-scoring state tournament game in Division II history, and the highest attended since. The next year Triway lost in the state title game to Dayton Dunbar with Daequan Cook, Norris Cole, and Aaron Pogue.

I actually happen to know some of why the schools names are what they are...I have no reason why I know this....but did look it up to be sure...lol

Steubenville was actually due to a uniform they had....

Then in the eighth game of the 1930 season, against Columbus Aquinas (a 33-0 victory), Coach Charles Q. "Punk" Cartledge paraded his team in new crimson and black uniforms. It was his heaviest team ever, and after the game, the Herald-Star called the team the "Big Red". This moniker was here to stay.

Bellaire was a different reason

Bellaire adopted its Big Reds mascot in 1951, meant to pay homage to the area’s Native American settlers. Like many schools using Native American imagery to represent its sports teams, Bellaire has recently come under scrutiny for its use of a Native American in full headdress and it’s painting of tomahawks on school grounds.

It is better then naming a natural disaster a color. In the WPIAL there is a Red Hurricanes and Golden Tornados. Why the need to add a color? Just be the Hurricanes and Tornados!
Let me guess you are a fan of Tulsa University....lol...lets see Red Hurricanes....Golden Tornados...so what is left...Golden Hurricanes....lol

Meanwhile down at Carrollton where they think Sander's Market is hot and they don't have a BellStores......they're getting ready for the annual Carrollton St. Patrick's Day Parade with the parade's only entry:

1710446919050.png

The power of the newspaper. Many people don't know that East Canton's girls' basketball team is referred to as the Wizards while every other sport at the school is Hornets. The reason why is when the girls' basketball program first started having success a newspaper article referred to them as he Wizards from Osnaburg Township and it stuck with them from then on.

I have a schedule update for you that you maybe interested in....Lake is playing McKeesport week 1 at Woodland Hills...we are the opening game of the showcase that will be taking place there...2 games on Friday and 3 games on Saturday