#PACtion™ 2024

Yes, the Ugly Duck used to be a strip club. I heard (probably 10 years ago) that they had decent food, but I've never eaten there. My go-to for the "bar" scene is Leroy's. (Can't believe I forgot about them!) They have my favorite wings in Wooster (better than Muddy's), and they have little pizzas that are perfect for one person. A family tradition of ours is the day we decorate our Christmas tree, we get pizza and wings for dinner and watch Home Alone. We used to get our pizza and wings from one of the main chains (Donato's, Papa John's), but once we started getting them from Leroy's, we're never going back.

The Olde Jaol (tavern) used to be a good option for our family, but over the years it's kind of turned into Jerry's 2.0... the food is good, but it either takes forever to get a seat, or the service is slow. More than once my wife and I have sat down, never got waited on, and left. And with their a la carte menu, it gets surprisingly expensive real fast.

This might be a hot take, but if we want your typical chain "Applebess" type food, we go to Beef O' Brady's. They're newer to Wooster, a block down from City Square. But they have really good daily specials, the prices are great, and we've enjoyed the food. And they have ALL the flavored lemonades, which my daughter and I love!

Oh, how could I forget?!? If you're on a budget and have an AARP card, go to Green Leaf (closer to the north end of Wooster). Okay, you're allowed to go there without the card, but everyone will stare at you. But the prices are great, and the food is basic but good.
I've heard mixed reviews from my buddies at work that live in Wooster regarding Muddy's and Leroy's. Your right about the service though at the Jaol, I've been warned of that, but never had it happen to me personally yet.... just dumb luck I suppose

Couldn't agree more about Jerry's. Loved the food, was almost the perfect stop if you hit a game anywhere in the area. But the service got so bad we couldn't go back. Hopefully the new owners can turn the corner on that.

And Que Pasa is one of the best "Mexican in a former fast food building restaurants" around.
Los Tios in Dalton is not only located very close to Dalton's amazing BellStores superstores, but it has historical relevance.

When this classic example of American fast food architecture was first built, it was a Hardee's. It was where I had my first job as the Dalton Hardee's. The state of Ohio is placing a historical marker there because of this.

Lots of smoke out there about Dial to Tuslaw. That would be extremely interesting and could change the whole narrative and mindset at Tuslaw - would be incredible for PACtion!
It's really needed. Tuslaw can stop the jokes of the last five years and start earning respect and victories. It's good for the league.

WOW - that's big news! You been holding out on us?!?!?!

Job has to be his if he wants it. Probably hammering out details for assistants etc....wonder if he'll still teach at Dalton?!
I wasn't sand bagging like a Euchre player, just learned of this. 😁 Trying not to hold my breath, so many factors and boxes to be checked for this to happen, and before the haters/doubter's chime in, having Dial or any coach doesn't catapult them to winning the PAC and some playoff games. I will be the first to tell you kids were far from innocent last year. They make mistakes that have NOTHING to do with coaching, but to beat a dead horse, the coaching staff and play calling put them in no-win situations, almost every play, every drive and certainly every game where they had to be perfect to succeed, and no team wins like that. If you would have transplanted the best player at any position on that team and they might win one more game the last 1-2 years or even last 5 years. They get this done, might be some lumps and bumps, but they at least will have a shot to play to their potential and turn this around. If they don't, then it's on them as players.

When this classic example of American fast food architecture was first built, it was a Hardee's. It was where I had my first job as the Dalton Hardee's. The state of Ohio is placing a historical marker there because of this.
Not to distract from the new news (shoutout to the Kelce boys podcast) about Tuslaw interviewing Dial, but for a period of time in the 90s if it was before 1030am my brain could calculate the exact time & distance to the closest Hardees in about a milisecond. The amount of Cinnamon-Raisin biscuit 2 (and 6) packs I consumed in those days likely took years off the end of my life. But I still smile thinking about them so consider the risk worth it.

Last edited:
I wasn't sand bagging like a Euchre player, just learned of this. 😁 Trying not to hold my breath, so many factors and boxes to be checked for this to happen, and before the haters/doubter's chime in, having Dial or any coach doesn't catapult them to winning the PAC and some playoff games. I will be the first to tell you kids were far from innocent last year. They make mistakes that have NOTHING to do with coaching, but to beat a dead horse, the coaching staff and play calling put them in no-win situations, almost every play, every drive and certainly every game where they had to be perfect to succeed, and no team wins like that. If you would have transplanted the best player at any position on that team and they might win one more game the last 1-2 years or even last 5 years. They get this done, might be some lumps and bumps, but they at least will have a shot to play to their potential and turn this around. If they don't, then it's on them as players.
If non-conference schedule stays the same, it'd be H Smithville, A Chippewa, A Riverview. Real shot at being 3-0, I think at worst 2-1 before league play starts.

-Canton South will not be the same without Poochie, though they'll still be pretty good.
-Triway, year 2 under coach, seems like they always have injuries in major spots. New QB next year right?
-Fairless - Colucci is gone, they weren't very good last year, I expect the ring of fire to be watered down....
-Northwest - I think they'll be improved from last year. Pappas is the QB from day 1 this year.
-Manchester - year 2 under Stacy will be improved. They will be in close games all year.
-Orrville 4-6 last year, graduated their QB. I expect something similar this year record-wise....

Is CVCA set in stone to play everyone this year? Kind of surprised that teams didn't look at dropping them for more favorable matchups across the board....

I could see Tuslaw going 6-4 or at worst 5-5 next year. Then again, I think really really highly of Coach Dial so I also wouldn't be surprised if they were under the radar and shocked the world with 8 wins.

The best restaurant in Wooster is City Square, and it's not really that close. It's just a matter of whether you want to pay the price tag. Or just ask for the "bar menu" for more affordable options and still the best burgers in town. Otherwise, I like Muddy's for burgers and wings, or Mariola's right next door for Italian (it's probably my #2 behind City Square). The Leaf is my favorite for brunch.

@RedRider1 would know better than me, but in my 15 years working in Orrville, and even doing a "Tour de Orrville" where my coworkers and I ate at every restaurant in Orrville and the surrounding areas (Dalton, Smithville), I still think Que Pasa in Orrville is the best option. Jerry's had the best burgers, but the service sucked.

Michael's Bakery for the cream sticks, obviously.
Que Pasa is the best mexican food around. Have tried others spots and they all lack.

Jerry's food got expensive for what you got and service, as mentioned by others, was never great. Gotta be able to get the lunch crowd in and out in an hour or you'll never make it. New owners will turn it around.

City Square is the spot in Wooster if you can swing the price. Perfect atmosphere for a special evening with the Mrs.

Is CVCA set in stone to play everyone this year? Kind of surprised that teams didn't look at dropping them for more favorable matchups across the board....
Chiseled in stone. Remember, it’s the league with a two-year notice requirement. The parties negotiated a departure one year early for all sports, with the exception being football since schedules are done far in advance typically.

They will be “non-conference” games. But they will be played.

Los Tios in Dalton is not only located very close to Dalton's amazing BellStores superstores, but it has historical relevance.

The first basket of chips is free...each additional is not. That's a non-starter for me.

Not to distract from the new news (shoutout to the Kelce boys podcast) about Tuslaw interviewing Dial, but for a period of time in the 90s if it was before 1030am my brain could calculate the exact time & distance to the closest Hardees is about a milisecond. The amount of Cinnamon-Raisin biscuit 2 (and 6) packs I consumed in those days likely took years off the end of my life. But I still smile thinking about them so consider the risk worth it.
The Hardees Peach Shake was incredible. I hope @Rich Kotite doesn't spoil that memory by sharing something unbecoming involving the shake machine.

Votes for best ice cream around? Mine goes to Cherry Street in good ol Canal Fulton. I have not wandered over Almost Heaven yet, but I did hear they are pretty solid......

The Hardees Peach Shake was incredible. I hope @Rich Kotite doesn't spoil that memory by sharing something unbecoming involving the shake machine.
Nothing bad to report. And that was a popular item.

Hardee's during my era was owned by former Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson who brought some hot 🔥 Carolina Panthers plastic cups to the Dalton Hardee's.

If non-conference schedule stays the same, it'd be H Smithville, A Chippewa, A Riverview. Real shot at being 3-0, I think at worst 2-1 before league play starts.

-Canton South will not be the same without Poochie, though they'll still be pretty good.
-Triway, year 2 under coach, seems like they always have injuries in major spots. New QB next year right?
-Fairless - Colucci is gone, they weren't very good last year, I expect the ring of fire to be watered down....
-Northwest - I think they'll be improved from last year. Pappas is the QB from day 1 this year.
-Manchester - year 2 under Stacy will be improved. They will be in close games all year.
-Orrville 4-6 last year, graduated their QB. I expect something similar this year record-wise....

I could see Tuslaw going 6-4 or at worst 5-5 next year. Then again, I think really really highly of Coach Dial so I also wouldn't be surprised if they were under the radar and shocked the world with 8 wins.
You're burying the lead, Cas. If Dial ends up at Tuslaw we'll have to resurrect the WCAL v PAC debate that fella started last summer! I'll have to un-ignore a few folks to get the full effect of it, but that would be glorious!!!

Second....before we get all fired up about Broc....is there a chance that another coach with some bling also applied?
Both of these guys:

Screenshot_20240301-122149-747.png

Now that is a rare sighting....Wakie having to defer to the guy in charge!....lol....wonder how much in sports bidding you can get for this.....lol

Do you have this picture over your fireplace mantle!...lol

Once again....if need fireplace products...see Duane Erb!

Last edited: