Only Online Tickets Sales

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Heard today about 3 schools going to online ticket sales (no ticket booth onsite) this coming season. I know that we talked about it in the past but curious with the season approaching what your opinion of this new trend towards online tickets sales only...

Last edited:

Cheaper for the school ✅
Easier for the school ✅
It’s a no brainer
What is missing from that equation is the cost-benefit analysis.

It is "cheaper" for the school as they don't "pay" anyone. The person purchasing the ticket "pays" the convenience fee.

It is easier for the school because they don't have to pay any employees to sell the tickets.

Doing the cost-benefit analysis, will they make more money this way? Will they turn fans away that would normally have come to the game? Will they get more fans that normally would not have come to the game.

Overall, the community is paying more to attend games now as they raised the price of tickets and added surcharge fees for the right to buy a ticket. I'm not a fan. And I really believe this should have been a convenience alternative instead of transitioning all ticket sales.

What is missing from that equation is the cost-benefit analysis.

It is "cheaper" for the school as they don't "pay" anyone. The person purchasing the ticket "pays" the convenience fee.

It is easier for the school because they don't have to pay any employees to sell the tickets.

Doing the cost-benefit analysis, will they make more money this way? Will they turn fans away that would normally have come to the game? Will they get more fans that normally would not have come to the game.

Overall, the community is paying more to attend games now as they raised the price of tickets and added surcharge fees for the right to buy a ticket. I'm not a fan. And I really believe this should have been a convenience alternative instead of transitioning all ticket sales.
Worried about a game selling out? No problem. You get your tickets in advance online.

Never carry cash on you because you’ve converted to just your debit card because cash isn’t a necessity any more? No problem you can pay online.

Grandpa Joe wants to see little Charlie play but knows it’s too far of a walk from the ticket booth to the away stands but wants to be able to go in from the visitor’s side entrance? No problem grandpa joe already got his tickets from his computer.

Plenty of benefits of doing this for the school and their fans. If a couple quarters is the difference between someone going to a game and not going then they weren’t that much of a fan anyway.

Yep let's take more jobs ( minimum wages) away from the community. You also lose the personal contact between people. I always enjoy talking to those taking the money. But hey let's make everything impersonal. Next it will be video game sports...no spectators needed!!

Worried about a game selling out? No problem. You get your tickets in advance online.

Never carry cash on you because you’ve converted to just your debit card because cash isn’t a necessity any more? No problem you can pay online.

Grandpa Joe wants to see little Charlie play but knows it’s too far of a walk from the ticket booth to the away stands but wants to be able to go in from the visitor’s side entrance? No problem grandpa joe already got his tickets from his computer.

Plenty of benefits of doing this for the school and their fans. If a couple quarters is the difference between someone going to a game and not going then they weren’t that much of a fan anyway.
Wouldn't they be able to do that by offering online ticket sales AND a ticket booth?

How do we know which schools through out the state, that are going to the online ticket sales? Doesn't sound very good to me

I just want to thank you for eschewing the ubiquitous ‘Little Johnny’ reference. Nobody names their kid Johnny these days. Now Charlie, that’s a name right there.

i don’t like it. they always charge a service fee online. would rather pay my $7 in cash at the gate then have to get my credit card out and pay $9

Reactions: y2h
If you net less dollars, are you really "saving" money?

I'm all for opening up new ideas but I'm leery of shutting down old ideas that have remained successful.
The people who go to games are going to go whether or not tickets are online. No one is sitting at home thinking “well I was going to go to the game but but those dang administrators made me get my tickets on my own so now I’m not going to support the kids”

Ignatius has been doing this for years. It was done all last school year at a lot of schools. It’s been tested. And the schools who don’t think it’ll work, simply won’t do it.

Yep let's take more jobs ( minimum wages) away from the community. You also lose the personal contact between people. I always enjoy talking to those taking the money. But hey let's make everything impersonal. Next it will be video game sports...no spectators needed!!
Pretty sure nearly all ticket takers are volunteers, or getting a stipend. Definitely not making minimum wage

The people who go to games are going to go whether or not tickets are online. No one is sitting at home thinking “well I was going to go to the game but but those dang administrators made me get my tickets on my own so now I’m not going to support the kids”

Ignatius has been doing this for years. It was done all last school year at a lot of schools. It’s been tested. And the schools who don’t think it’ll work, simply won’t do it.
Not sure any schools allowed general admission last year. It was a battle to get tickets to any games. Last year really isn't a good example to use for testing a normal season.

Maybe you are right, every single person that normally went to games will still go to games. I think differently. I think you will see fewer kids, fewer non-related adults, and fewer elderly fans at all the games. IMO, it will really affect the schools that are not competitive most of the time.

I still believe we are in a battle for attention at HS sporting events. Every obstacle put up is making it more difficult to turn around this declining trend.

Not sure any schools allowed general admission last year. It was a battle to get tickets to any games. Last year really isn't a good example to use for testing a normal season.

Maybe you are right, every single person that normally went to games will still go to games. I think differently. I think you will see fewer kids, fewer non-related adults, and fewer elderly fans at all the games. IMO, it will really affect the schools that are not competitive most of the time.

I still believe we are in a battle for attention at HS sporting events. Every obstacle put up is making it more difficult to turn around this declining trend.
How many fans does a school have to lose by going to online only to make them lose money on the venture? That’s the question. If barely anyone goes to your game to begin with, it might not be possible for a school to lose money going to online only unless attendance went to near zero.

Personally I think students should get in free but that’s a different story for a different day.
Non-related adults I think benefit the most as they can just get their tickets while their at work and not have to worry about rushing in case the game is crowded (because the only schools doing this are the ones who have larger crowds anyway)
Though I do think that schools should do something to help older fans. Whether it’s letting them buy tickets at the school and maybe having a current football player walk them through the process when they’re in study hall or something else.

Personally I think students should get in free but that’s a different story for a different day.
Non-related adults I think benefit the most as they can just get their tickets while their at work and not have to worry about rushing in case the game is crowded (because the only schools doing this are the ones who have larger crowds anyway)
Though I do think that schools should do something to help older fans. Whether it’s letting them buy tickets at the school and maybe having a current football player walk them through the process when they’re in study hall or something else.
Brilliant

Pretty sure nearly all ticket takers are volunteers, or getting a stipend. Definitely not making minimum wage
At my school, athletic event workers get paid $20 per event, which gets processed through payroll and is thus subject to taxes and deductions. The only things we don't pay for are anything to do with a scrimmage or helping to run a field event or be a timer at our non-invite track meets. Even the ticket seller and PA announcer/results person get paid at those little meets.

I'd figure online ticket sales would come sooner than later. It's just the nature of technology. However for people without cell phones I would like to see presale at the school continue. Give them a printout with a bar code and have it scanned.
Yappi, did you hear which schools? I'd figure the initial schools would be your middle/upper middle class area in a suburban setting. Somewhere the overwhelming majority of people would support this and have no problem obtaining paperless entry.
It would be interesting to know how many people percentage wise go to pro sporting events with paperless entry.

i don’t like it. they always charge a service fee online. would rather pay my $7 in cash at the gate then have to get my credit card out and pay $9
Home or away, until the shut down last year, I'd get my ticket with a ten spot and tell them to keep the extra three for the athletic department. Same at the concession stand. Ten no matter what a Gatorade, pop corn and hot dog cost. At 80 plus not sure I'll get back to high school football if tickets go paperless.

Home or away, until the shut down last year, I'd get my ticket with a ten spot and tell them to keep the extra three for the athletic department. Same at the concession stand. Ten no matter what a Gatorade, pop corn and hot dog cost. At 80 plus not sure I'll get back to high school football if tickets go paperless.
and that’s fine. no issue with that. it’s just more convenient to do it at the door. each school usually has a staff member who either volunteers or gets paid to take tickets