Olentangy Pool Tournament

speedthatkills

We are coming to this for the first time. Any recommendations for local eats the night before? Seating in gym good, concessions, etc? Is all wrestling in a single gym or are there multiple gyms? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Its been 8-9 years since I coached in that event but...it was 1 gym, seating was fine (not overly crowded), typical concessions, very good competition.

They use a program to run the event that I always thought was a little hard to follow when looking at the boards but you can follow it online easily. All in all it was always a very good tournament.

As for food the night before...you will be near Powell and Polaris Mall...you will be able to find a great place to eat with very little effort.

Any results form this tourney?
You can see the results in the link above. Few take aways from me. Weird there was no seeding as it appeared that the host set up pools to get their own guys moved forward. Best match of the day came in round 1 because there was no seeding. Quite a few instances where what should have been the finals match happened in the pool side. Kind of sad but not a big deal. The tourney ran very well, plenty of space both in and out of gym, concessions were staffed well all day. MOW to me would probably be Stevens from Centerville, but an argument could also be made for Foster from Ross or Dickerson from Lancaster(Sorry if I missed any others, those are the ones that stuck out to me). Ross wins the tourney, but their football players need to get in shape(I am allowed to say this as one was my kid) and only wrestling for a couple weeks showed. Centerville and Ross were both missing 3-4 kids so when they have their full teams they look solid. Tourney finished before 5 and they really could have finished earlier if they wanted. Refs not in mid season form either but overall they did a good job. Not a single noticeable clock issue all day which was great. Overall I give it an A- with the only knock being no seeding.

Last edited:
You can see the results in the link above. Few take aways from me. Weird there was no seeding as it appeared that the host set up pools to get their own guys moved forward. Best match of the day came in round 1 because there was no seeding. Quite a few instances where what should have been the finals match happened in the pool side. Kind of sad but not a big deal. The tourney ran very well, plenty of space both in and out of gym, concessions were staffed well all day. MOW to me would probably be Stevens from Centerville, but an argument could also be made for Foster from Ross or Dickerson from Lancaster(Sorry if I missed any others, those are the ones that stuck out to me). Ross wins the tourney, but their football players need to get in shape(I am allowed to say this as one was my kid) and only wrestling for a couple weeks showed. Centerville and Ross were both missing 3-4 kids so when they have their full teams they look solid. Tourney finished before 5 and they really could have finished earlier if they wanted. Refs not in mid season form either but overall they did a good job. Not a single noticeable clock issue all day which was great. Overall I give it an A- with the only knock being no seeding.
Having never been to this tournament, I'm only guessing. But looking at the brackets as they are and not seeing a final posted, that they were paired up strictly based on ability. Like 144.1 is the stud group, 144.2 is the middle of the road, etc. Rather than the traditional winner of A wrestles winner of B for champ on down.

I just ran one similar to what I just explained this past weekend, and it's basically a bunch of round robin brackets where higher seeds are together in a pool together, and beginners are together and so on.

Just my thoughts on looking at it from an outsider's perspective.

Having never been to this tournament, I'm only guessing. But looking at the brackets as they are and not seeing a final posted, that they were paired up strictly based on ability. Like 144.1 is the stud group, 144.2 is the middle of the road, etc. Rather than the traditional winner of A wrestles winner of B for champ on down.

I just ran one similar to what I just explained this past weekend, and it's basically a bunch of round robin brackets where higher seeds are together in a pool together, and beginners are together and so on.

Just my thoughts on looking at it from an outsider's perspective.
the link does not give the final results. The winner of each pool wrestled for the t1/2, 2nd in each pool wrestled for 3/4, etc. Some pools had the best kids opposite but most didn't. I thought maybe it was split by schools and that wasn't the case either. Maybe I am missing something simple but it seemed a little off. Aside from that it ran like a clock

the link does not give the final results. The winner of each pool wrestled for the t1/2, 2nd in each pool wrestled for 3/4, etc. Some pools had the best kids opposite but most didn't. I thought maybe it was split by schools and that wasn't the case either. Maybe I am missing something simple but it seemed a little off. Aside from that it ran like a clock
Gotcha, then that blows my theory out of the water.

Agreed about the football players getting in better shape! Also having a son coming out football. GO GALES!