Oklahoma Football coach resigns after saying "hurtful" word in film session

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Oklahoma Sooners assistant football coach Cale Gundy said on Sunday that he's resigning after saying a "shameful and hurtful" word during a team meeting last week.

In a statement posted to his Twitter account, Gundy, who was the wide receivers coach at the University of Oklahoma, explained he read a message on his player's iPad after he noticed the player was distracted at a film session.

"The words displayed has nothing to do with football," Gundy wrote. "One particular word that I should never – under any circumstance – have uttered was displayed on that screen. In the moment, I did not even realize what I was reading and, as soon as I did, I was horrified."

1659991077379.jpeg

What is your take Hub?

I heard a couple of national guys basically say that Venables was advised to cut ties ASAP so it could not blow up and hurt recruiting. Another said that the University has a zero tolerance policy on that word and the team had no choice but to cut him lose.

What is your take Hub?

I heard a couple of national guys basically say that Venables was advised to cut ties ASAP so it could not blow up and hurt recruiting. Another said that the University has a zero tolerance policy on that word and the team had no choice but to cut him lose.
Couple of things that don't make much sense....

Gundy allegedly "read" what a player had wrote - If he said before he read it "quote" would he be safe?

Gundy was there for 20 years. this isn't a 2 year intern. He was held over for not one but two coaching changes back to Stoops. Have not heard of any other transgressions. So that's where we're at now? One strikes - and loosely as he read what a player had. - and that's it?

Venables obviously isn't too keen on this guy. This is one of his assistants, and that's the support you get from above?

Did any Oklahoma player complain? All I saw was Gundy's apology and resignation letter, period.

2 + 2 not equaling 4 in this whole deal.

What is your take Hub?

I'm not sure I'm the right person to ask even though I clamor a lot about racial issues on the debate forum. Personally I don't think a persons career should be ended for the use of a derogatory word. Not without at least considering the context, the history of the individual. the circumstances. This might have been a CYA move which is unfortunate for the coach and the kids he has poured into and would have poured into in the future. Now if this coach had a record of seemingly treating players differently because of their race or showing favoritism and then this word slipped out maybe some more investigation is needed. From early reports that does not seem to be the case in this instance and maybe they acted too soon. To your point about recruiting, if this did get out and he remained on staff, recruiting is ruthless and I'm sure other coaches would have used it against them fair or not.

What is your take Hub?

So here's where we are at in 2022. You have a guy who's coached at one school for 20 years, affected hundreds of student athletes in a positive way. And because it "may" hurt recruiting for a few kids - you can him?? And he used a word that is used often in the hip hop and rap world??? What are we doing folks!!!! It is absolutely insane the double standards that are allowed to exist today. And in this situation specifically, did the kid who was writing rap lyrics instead of taking football notes -- what happened to him?? Did he get kicked off the team or lose his scholarship?? There will be a day soon when we won't have coaches or officials anymore because no one will want to do it. Not because of the kids but because of all the PC crap going on.
Have any of you been around kids 15-25 and see how they talk to each other? They use words that get adults fired!!