OHSAA XC State Meet Results Thread

JAVMAN83

I'll get this rolling...

Good luck to all competitors, coaches, parents, and those cheering this weekend!

I thought about going up there. Tickets are $16.00 this year.
I'm working on the all-time girls' lists this weekend, but will watch via MileSplit.

Just curious ? to the public: Do you have to purchase tickets online? Or can it be done in person like the old days?

Soccer tickets for both boys and girls are $12, so why is cross country $16?
I'd assume it's because XC is a State Championship and Soccer is Regional Finals. The XC ticket prices jumped up each week from District-Regional-State. OHSAA is making a killing now considering they used to not charge for Regionals and just recently started charging for Districts (not to mention the extra round of football playoffs). Prices have jumped way up too and plus they have to make that money off assistant coaches and teammates not competing.

I'd assume it's because XC is a State Championship and Soccer is Regional Finals. The XC ticket prices jumped up each week from District-Regional-State. OHSAA is making a killing now considering they used to not charge for Regionals and just recently started charging for Districts (not to mention the extra round of football playoffs). Prices have jumped way up too and plus they have to make that money off assistant coaches and teammates not competing.
That is why they made $14.5 million the last three years and having $18 million cash on hand at end of fiscal year. Interest income alone should be around $750k a year.

Revenue in 2019 was $19.2 million in 2022 it was $25.4 million that is a 32% increase.

How much did you all pay for regular season meets? I assume you all walked in for free at all the soccer and football games as well. I'm sure it's free to put on the State meet. Timing company donates their services for the cause. All good things in life are free.

We had to pay, at least to park, at most cross country meets and we had to pay to get in at every single soccer game. I expect to pay. Just not necessarily what the fees have jumped to this year. I don’t think most have an issue with paying, but they do have an issue with being gouged.

How much did you all pay for regular season meets? I assume you all walked in for free at all the soccer and football games as well. I'm sure it's free to put on the State meet. Timing company donates their services for the cause. All good things in life are free.
Always the dirt bag. So the timing company charges more for the state meet than all the District or Regional meets? Venues's get more expensive for state than other meets? They had a chance to choose multiple locations and cost should have been a factor. It's a shame OHSAA is in such dire financial straits that they need to steal money from families and students. My inquiry to the people that can make change about the extra charges for cash have been resolved quickly. Looks like I have my next round of concerns need to be addressed.

I bet the house they will have 75+ officials at the state meet tomorrow and 25+ golf carts for them to ride around in and do very little to nothing. All will get a hotel, mileage, meals, some new gear and get paid. It's beyond silly. It would not have to charge so much if they cut back on all the officials and all the perks and all the extras that are not needed.

I bet the house they will have 75+ officials at the state meet tomorrow and 25+ golf carts for them to ride around in and do very little to nothing. All will get a hotel, mileage, meals, some new gear and get paid. It's beyond silly. It would not have to charge so much if they cut back on all the officials and all the perks and all the extras that are not needed.
My first impression when I walked into the state meet for the first time was “what in the world are all these officials doing?” While looking around Scioto Downs I asked someone how we could get up to the enclosed boxes to see them. When they told me that area was reserved for OHSAA officials it confirmed a lot of my assumptions about that organization. That was before the infamous trip to Hawaii for the OHSAA big wigs.

Not defending OHSAA here, but has anyone noticed that inflation runs at historical HIGHS during the past 3 years? I know I just paid nearly $12 for a Big Buford Combo & drink at Rally's yesterday. Transportation costs remain significantly higher than 4 years ago, which affects the costs of EVERYTHING.

Question: Are today's numbers of OHSAA officials staffing the Regional & State events that much more significant than the past? Also, are their "perks" really that out-of-whack vs. the past? When I was officiating college meets some 15-20 years ago, I know my maximum pay day was $75. Not much more than that to cover gas costs & a couple meals for 10-14 hour days.

Frankly, a lot of officials I've seen over the years NEED to get out and run around the XC course. Would do them some good!

The live results are absolutely horrible. We really need to figure out this FinishTiming/Milesplit relationship, because the live results used to never be an issue. There's a multiple second break between showing each individual finisher, so the team score race is up in the air for 10+ minutes after the athletes finish. We used to be able to know the team score instantly. Currently sitting at 35 minutes since the D3 girls started and they're still populating the result of girls that finished 13+ minutes ago. Absolute disgrace.

I have to agree with the observations of today's meet. Also, there is about a 4 minute delay of the video coverage versus the running display clock on the "live" results.

You find a free football game and you're not working at the game, you let me know where. Varsity football games have never been free in my life.

Still not loading. What a shame.
Again, it mattered how you got to the results. I found going through the OHSAA site got you team results right away, but no individual live results. Going through oh.milesplit got me nothing. I was at the meet, so I could see the individual results, but on the screens there, they never put up team results.

Also, mattered where I was. If I got out of the stadium, in the parking lot...nothing. Left before boys D1 and stopped to eat... Got results better 5 Miles away sitting in drive through.

Video on the video boards was worthless unless you were an eagle.

Beautiful day. Results were BS.

Back to what truly matters (the results). What are everyone's thoughts? I was surprised by how successful NEO was. I don't think 3 teams in the top 6 was in anyone's cards!
I thought so. I knew Rocky River was really good and Medina. I'm surprised Hoover wasn't top 10. I picked Mas Jackson as possible winners.

Girls D1 with 4 in the top 10 was my expectation.

D2 boys, I said from mid season it looked like all 6 teams would be top 10 at a minimum. 6 in top 7 was what I expected.

D2 girls really 5 in top 10 if Minerva is considered NE. But 4 in top 10 was expected.

D3 both boys and girls were what was expected. Boys overall was way below normal years, but based on regionals, it's what was expected.

What a great race by Mas. Jackson. You want to be running your best the first weekend of November, and boy did they ever. That’s the team I expected to see 1-5 all season. Mason didn’t have their best race but I’m not sure it would have mattered even if they did. With that said 3 straight podiums is impressive, I’m not sure if a 4th is likely but we’ll see next year.

Reactions: VFL
The live results are absolutely horrible. We really need to figure out this FinishTiming/Milesplit relationship, because the live results used to never be an issue. There's a multiple second break between showing each individual finisher, so the team score race is up in the air for 10+ minutes after the athletes finish. We used to be able to know the team score instantly. Currently sitting at 35 minutes since the D3 girls started and they're still populating the result of girls that finished 13+ minutes ago. Absolute disgrace.
The multiple second break is due to confirming each and every runner in the race. We used to let the chips place the runners originally then swap places when needed but there were too many coaches complaining and filing protests due to what was seen and then to what was corrected.
For those of you having problems with results it was most likely the internet connection in the area for cell phones. We used starlink for our internet today and watched the live results for each race with team scores at the splits. While there was an issue at one point with the "live" button in the results if you clicked the event it was live there also. The team scores were live for each split and the finish but finish would have been slower due to confirming each one.
Although we have been using the milesplit live results I will not say that I love them in any way at this point and have been very frustrated at the amount problems that we have had with them. Today was probably the best day we have had with them all year.

The multiple second break is due to confirming each and every runner in the race. We used to let the chips place the runners originally then swap places when needed but there were too many coaches complaining and filing protests due to what was seen and then to what was corrected.
For those of you having problems with results it was most likely the internet connection in the area for cell phones. We used starlink for our internet today and watched the live results for each race with team scores at the splits. While there was an issue at one point with the "live" button in the results if you clicked the event it was live there also. The team scores were live for each split and the finish but finish would have been slower due to confirming each one.
Although we have been using the milesplit live results I will not say that I love them in any way at this point and have been very frustrated at the amount problems that we have had with them. Today was probably the best day we have had with them all year.
I don't understand how links are different. I went to OHSAA site and got links from there. Team scores worked fine. Nothing on individuals. I went out to the hill loop and would lose results until I was almost back in the fortress. I could stand there and watch you confirming the individual places on the video boards and get team results on my phone. Parents I was with, went on milesplit and used those links and never saw a single team score. We all had cell service. We all had internet.

Are we all idiots? I don't understand how it matters how you access the links. Are they not accessing the same info?

Seemed like you had good reads. You guys did a good job.

I don't understand how links are different. I went to OHSAA site and got links from there. Team scores worked fine. Nothing on individuals. I went out to the hill loop and would lose results until I was almost back in the fortress. I could stand there and watch you confirming the individual places on the video boards and get team results on my phone. Parents I was with, went on milesplit and used those links and never saw a single team score. We all had cell service. We all had internet.

Are we all idiots? I don't understand how it matters how you access the links. Are they not accessing the same info?

Seemed like you had good reads. You guys did a good job.
All the links should have been the same. Not sure if it matters if you go thru milesplit, Ohsaa or live.finishtiming.com but we used the Finishtiming as we were watching it all day.
yes we only had 3 misses all day at the first split of boys d1. (But we also had 2 chips on every athlete.)

My complaint is more with the online video feed via MileSplit (via NFHS?). It was consistently running 4-5 minutes behind the actual race, and the angles & coverage of the finish were poor at best. The races were finished 5 minutes before the video caught up. For me, why watch unless it's at least close to live. Normal broadcasts run 7-10 second lags - not 5 minutes.

In 2023 I’d hate to say the links work fine if you’re not using a cell phone. I’d guess over 90% are using their cell phone to look for results.