OHSAA: NIL Proposal is defeated 68-32

I guess they will waste money fighting it in the courts and also lose by a wide margin.

And then instead of having sensible bylaws that were crafted by educators, we'll get stuck with something court-imposed or written by the legislature full of unintended consequences.

And then instead of having sensible bylaws that were crafted by educators, we'll get stuck with something court-imposed or written by the legislature full of unintended consequences.
Yep, once some kid has a classmate making 500.00 a month posting fart videos to Tik Tok and he can't make money off his fart videos because he is an athlete the courts will be involved.

Yep, once some kid has a classmate making 500.00 a month posting fart videos to Tik Tok and he can't make money off his fart videos because he is an athlete the courts will be involved.
An athlete can monetize fart videos. It just can’t be related to his/her sport.

I think it is more of an action to stop in the beginning the schools who work around all the rules to help them entice athletes to come to their school.....more of a backlash from dealing with 2 parameters in one system

Was not paying much attention to this but I’m glad it was voted down. I think NIL is running the college game we don’t need this distraction in HS.

Was not paying much attention to this but I’m glad it was voted down. I think NIL is running the college game we don’t need this distraction in HS.
There is another way to look at this....262 players get drafted...they can make some money. The other players that are trying to get there....they are subjecting their body to joint damage. Let them make some money if they can....the bagmen are out in the open now. I am pretty sure the pricing will find its level.

For high school kids? I don’t see that much money out there for this.
It only takes one kid to file the lawsuit that opens the doors, and certainly there’s a lot of money out there for a select few. One of those few will get the ball rolling eventually.

Rejoice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is but a mere bump in the road. For the University of Massillon shall resume all recruiting activities immediately!!!!! Wine and cheese for all my friends!!!!!
GIF by Bud Light
This would mean much more if it wasn't coming from....not only a parochial school fan....but one coached by Rotsky. Lol. Here is a highlight of St Joe footballs last 20 years.
Wile E Coyote Wtf GIF by Looney Tunes

Once again a thread is hijacked by the never-ending childish Massillon - Fed nonsense. How about starting your own bickering thread? The hijacking is just exhausting and selfish. Of course, I fully expect to be attacked, but it needed to be said.
Right. I can go to ESPN’s Twitter and take in similarly thoughtful banter unsolicited crowing all day in the “show additional replies” tab.

An athlete can monetize fart videos. It just can’t be related to his/her sport.
I don't think that's true. that was part of the reason for this to begin with. College athletes were getting in trouble for YouTube videos. Besides it would be hard to not use your Name, Image or Likeness to create a video.

FWIW its worth this is all pretty trivial. There's a student in my school district who these past 2 school years has had a pretty sizable social media following on tiktok, twitter, youtube, etc.... He has made money from his social media platforms and at no point has the acronym NIL ever come up in any of this. He plays football (well he's on the team).

I think some are reading way too deep into all this. Think about your own playing days. Was there actually anyone you ever played with or against who even a local or regional brand would drop more than a hundred dollars on? (except Lebron). As a local business owner would you really throw thousands at a local kid for a commercial just because he made honorable mention all conference?

And trust me these kids ain't getting hundreds of dollars for farting on a tiktok video. The kids who are actually monetizing social media have followings in the THOUSANDS if not hundreds of thousands. Billy who has 10 subscribers on his youtube channel ain't getting squat that amounts to squat.

It only takes one kid to file the lawsuit that opens the doors, and certainly there’s a lot of money out there for a select few. One of those few will get the ball rolling eventually.
Very few lawsuits pertaining to high school sports that get filed ever make it to a judge's docket. Last stat I was told in a law class was something like 9 of 10 get tossed asap. But like you said, maybe one slips through.

Important as 8 million dollars to this kid : https://usatodayhss.com/2022/class-2023-signs-8-million-nil-agreement

OHSAA is as short sighted as is it money grubby, Ohio will have NIL for H.S. in 4 years or less.
$8 million to a player who shall remain nameless to endorse a product or company that also shall remain nameless. Interesting marketing concept. If I didn't know better I might think he is being paid $8 million to play football at a particular university.

FWIW its worth this is all pretty trivial. There's a student in my school district who these past 2 school years has had a pretty sizable social media following on tiktok, twitter, youtube, etc.... He has made money from his social media platforms and at no point has the acronym NIL ever come up in any of this. He plays football (well he's on the team).

I think some are reading way too deep into all this. Think about your own playing days. Was there actually anyone you ever played with or against who even a local or regional brand would drop more than a hundred dollars on? (except Lebron). As a local business owner would you really throw thousands at a local kid for a commercial just because he made honorable mention all conference?

And trust me these kids ain't getting hundreds of dollars for farting on a tiktok video. The kids who are actually monetizing social media have followings in the THOUSANDS if not hundreds of thousands. Billy who has 10 subscribers on his youtube channel ain't getting squat that amounts to squat.

That’s why I don’t get why people would be up in arms about this. A lot of the money is being based on the kids marketing ability and social media presence That’s why lebron and shaqs kids can make a lot more than kids who are better than they are at b-ball. Like you said about Billy with 10 subscribers if you see that kid get a large amount of money and they transfer to whatever high school you know something is up. They have websites that calculate what some specific athlete’s could charge per social media post. Kind of interesting it’s based on followers name recognition etc..

That’s why I don’t get why people would be up in arms about this. A lot of the money is being based on the kids marketing ability and social media presence That’s why lebron and shaqs kids can make a lot more than kids who are better than they are at b-ball. Like you said about Billy with 10 subscribers if you see that kid get a large amount of money and they transfer to whatever high school you know something is up. They have websites that calculate what some specific athlete’s could charge per social media post. Kind of interesting it’s based on followers name recognition etc..
The average high schooler just like the average D1 athlete isn't seeing what many people think is "life changing" NIL deals. LeBron is the only high school athlete from Ohio in my lifetime that would've made life altering money from an NIL if the concept had been around back then.

People forget that less than 2% of high school athletes go on to play a D1 and even fewer of that 2% are signing any kind of NIL anything.

Very few lawsuits pertaining to high school sports that get filed ever make it to a judge's docket. Last stat I was told in a law class was something like 9 of 10 get tossed asap. But like you said, maybe one slips through.
OHSAA is in an actual courtroom about 5-10 times a year, so enough make it through when you’re covering the whole state.

Unfortunately, this is likely to be challenged by somenoe/class action in the courts. Whether there's enough judicial validity to reverse the OHSAA's decision is a question on the minds of many lawyers/parents throughout the Buckeye State.
What is "judicial validity?"