OHSAA looking at Massillon transfer app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owens transferred to Massillon in February. It is almost October. Perhaps OHSAA could be more forthcoming about why the paperwork still hasn't been reviewed and ruled upon. Was it not submitted in a timely manner? Is it somehow inadequate? Is OHSAA that inefficient? Is OHSAA incompetent? Or would this be deliberate?

Last edited:
Was his application in line to be reviewed? Would this of been an issue if the AD didn't write a letter? Did the OHSAA get the letter and say " thats right, we need to review this". I have no idea how the process works, but it seems broke.

At this point, the process seems to be guilty until proven innocent. He just sat out a game. He'll never get that game back. That would be one thing if his paperwork was not up to snuff; if it's not accurate and he would not be eligible. It's quite another if the eventual ruling is that he's good to go. Either way, he gets punished. That is definitely broken.

OHSAA says that they are committed to "providing rulings that are swift, fair, consistent and impartial." But are they?

Really just no way to know what the issue is. I was under the assumption you could just transfer if you felt like it now.
Which is how it should be. Who are you, who am I, or who is some Columbus bureaucrat to tell some family what's best for their kid and to limit them to prejudicially approved options? Would it be tolerable if your daughter couldn't be in the spring musical because she went to a different school last year? Would you accept it if your son couldn't be on the Academic Challenge team because it's his first year at the school? Why should athletics be any different?

All these players move to Massillon now and don’t use open enrollment.

This entire transfer rule regarding open enrollment was put in place to stop players from coming to Massillon but it didn’t work.

This will turn out exactly like the last witch hunt. Owens will be cleared to play soon.

Let's get this straight: a kid who lives in Akron but enrolled at Copley has transferred to a different school and the Copley AD is upset? Why?
I looked it up... Copley does not have open enrollment nor do they have tuition. Assuming there's any truth to the residency allegation (and really it's nobody's business and the Repository should find something else to report on) either they were scamming the district or the district turned a blind eye. Regardless, looks like they're owed money.

I looked it up... Copley does not have open enrollment nor do they have tuition. Assuming there's any truth to the residency allegation (and really it's nobody's business and the Repository should find something else to report on) either they were scamming the district or the district turned a blind eye. Regardless, looks like they're owed money.
Copley has sued families for that in the past.

That would be even more interesting. A kid enrolls in your district in direct conflict to district policy. The district ignores the obvious impropriety. The kid then then enrolls in a different district and they suddenly claim rigid allegiance to the letter of the law and claim that their ill-gotten gains are now their indisputable possession?

How ironic that Massillon is getting the rotor rooter treatment after crying about the privates and their "recruiting".
There's a golden rule cautioning those who point fingers because there may be multiple fingers pointing back at them. Massilloonies need to take a good hard look at that instead of their so-called championships

If you guys recall I posted on Yappi very early that he was transferring to your school. Yappi actually suspended me from posting on your beloved thread for posting that. Two weeks later it happened. Maybe someone from Copley told me. Say what you say and think what you think. You guys get into these situations because you break so many rules...... it will catch up eventually.

If you guys recall I posted on Yappi very early that he was transferring to your school. Yappi actually suspended me from posting on your beloved thread for posting that. Two weeks later it happened. Maybe someone from Copley told me. Say what you say and think what you think. You guys get into these situations because you break so many rules...... it will catch up eventually.
It is weird when push comes to shove it is usually grown men making baseless accusations.

It seems, in reading the transfer by-laws, that a family moving into a new public school district has to ask for a waiver by the executive director, who can at the director's "sole discretion" provide the waive. That might be where the paperwork snafu might sit right now and Massillon was being cautious in holding him out last night. I imagine this should be resolved this week, unless the request for a waiver was never sent into the OHSAA before he participated in contests.

LOL. Did you just accuse another school of breaking rules? That’s laughable, didn’t your school write the book?

Status
Not open for further replies.