OHSAA Expands Football 7-on-7 Opportunities

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
OHSAA Expands Football 7-on-7 Opportunities
Football off-season regulations are now consistent with other team sports

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio High School Athletic Association has announced that football 7-on-7 competition is now permitted at any time prior to and after the football season, other than the 28-day no-contact period immediately after the season. Previously, 7-on-7 competition was not permitted until May 15. Full practice and hitting are still not permitted during 7-on-7 play, with helmets and cleats being the only equipment permitted.

Football 7-on-7 competition does not include the five interior linemen and uses either flags or touching the ball carrier to end a play, rather than tackling.

The OHSAA Board of Directors met earlier this week and unanimously approved changes to General Sports Regulation 7 that brings football under the same off-season regulations as other team sports. Football has always had separate and more restrictive off-season regulations.

The changes are effective immediately and student-athletes who competed in 7-on-7 competition this past winter will not be subject to a penalty.

“We have been talking about the football 7-on-7 regulation for some time and we believe that football should be treated the same as our other team sports, essentially allowing football athletes the same opportunities as their peers in other team sports,” said Doug Ute, OHSAA Executive Director. “Most other states already allow it, so there have been a growing number of situations when Ohio student-athletes have had to pass up opportunities in the winter and spring due to our regulations. We want to stress that hitting is still not permitted in the off-season, but this change expands what football players can do outside the season.”

The changes mean that prior to May 15, a limit of seven football players from the same school team can now play together in a 7-on-7 competition, and there is no limit on the number of 7-on-7 competitions in which a player or coach can participate. After May 15, there is no change to the current regulation, meaning there is no limit on the number of players from the same school team who can compete together in 7-on-7 competition.

In addition, there are 13 days of coaching permitted in excess of the seven-player limit from May 15 to July 31. Contact and equipment, other than helmets and cleats, remain prohibited during that time.

7.9% of high school athletes play any level of college sports, this isn't going to change that one bit. What it is going to do is line the pockets of greedy aau type douch bags who sell the idea that college coaches give a rip about underpants football. Kids will drop other sports in favor of aau football or have conflicts that hurt the high school teams. Other than hearing a different coach skills won't be enhanced. I don't see this as a good thing at all..

I don't like them expanding the coaching days from 10 to 13 during the May to July period. Coaches and kids already give up enough of their time August through October. Are 3 extra days of non padded practice really going to help improve a 4-6 team to 6-4? Let kids be kids and let coaches have more time with family. Just my two cents.

7.9% of high school athletes play any level of college sports, this isn't going to change that one bit. What it is going to do is line the pockets of greedy aau type douch bags who sell the idea that college coaches give a rip about underpants football. Kids will drop other sports in favor of aau football or have conflicts that hurt the high school teams. Other than hearing a different coach skills won't be enhanced. I don't see this as a good thing at all..
But all the big city HS football twitter people say this is amazing for HS football so it must be true.

Spot-freaking-on! This is where the schools need to come in and remind the OHSAA that they have people to whom they're accountable; because lately, they seem to think they can do whatever they want.

That is their decision not some yappi I know best expert. Some people sure are against free choice.

HS Coaches can now coach the teams which mainly is what happens in the south. Yeah there's a BS and AAU but it's not prevalent.

I don't like them expanding the coaching days from 10 to 13 during the May to July period. Coaches and kids already give up enough of their time August through October. Are 3 extra days of non padded practice really going to help improve a 4-6 team to 6-4? Let kids be kids and let coaches have more time with family. Just my two cents.
It's minimal. Kids have a choice to not come.

Kids are literally spending more time with...Kids

It's ok.

Spot-freaking-on! This is where the schools need to come in and remind the OHSAA that they have people to whom they're accountable; because lately, they seem to think they can do whatever they want.
It's not "spot-freaking-on"

Kids show up because they want something.

And the kids can do what they want.

It's an option to be involved and to maybe do something other than the streets or video games.

If i was a kid I would've went to every thing the school offered.

I cannot get over this nonsense.

A kid has an option to go and be productive but grandpa whoever is mad because they are doing football things in the summer.

Get over yourself.

I wonder how this impacted the decision?

This absolutely happened because of what this selfish young man did. I'm guessing some higher-ups at the OHSAA talked to their lawyers, and those lawyers thought this kid could have had a plausible enough case to where it didn't warrant the potential legal fees. And we all know that the modern-day OHSAA only cares about the bottom line. This is one of those situations where everyone involved looks bad.

It's not "spot-freaking-on"

Kids show up because they want something.

And the kids can do what they want.

It's an option to be involved and to maybe do something other than the streets or video games.

If i was a kid I would've went to every thing the school offered.

I cannot get over this nonsense.

A kid has an option to go and be productive but grandpa whoever is mad because they are doing football things in the summer.

Get over yourself.
IMG_1003.gif

HS Coaches can now coach the teams which mainly is what happens in the south. Yeah there's a BS and AAU but it's not prevalent.
If you believe that, then I have oceanfront property in North Dakota I'd like to sell you. This will only make the already very contentious relationship between Ohio schools and the AAU types even worse.

This absolutely happened because of what this selfish young man did. I'm guessing some higher-ups at the OHSAA talked to their lawyers, and those lawyers thought this kid could have had a plausible enough case to where it didn't warrant the potential legal fees. And we all know that the modern-day OHSAA only cares about the bottom line. This is one of those situations where everyone involved looks bad.
Would be interesting to hear actual opinions from high school football coaches.

Selfish because he stood up for what he believed in. Again, it is not your career it is his. I think you should look in the mirror before you make a dumb comment like that.

Selfish because he stood up for what he believed in. Again, it is not your career it is his. I think you should look in the mirror before you make a dumb comment like that.
No, he's selfish because he exposed himself to be a problem teammate and a potential hassle for coaches, because he's shown where his priorities lie. If he really wanted to advance his career in that way, then he could have just moved rather than try to buck the system. If I were a coach, I wouldn't want this kid anywhere near my team.

The same people complaining are the same ones telling you that 7on7’s are a waste of time and don’t mean a thing.
Brian Hartline has been pulling most of his receivers off ONE 7v7 squad in south Florida the South Florida Express….ohio state literally hosts the coaches of that 7v7 team and has them bring up their players to Ohio State for visits. But yes let’s talk more about how college coaches don’t use 7v7 to help evaluate skill players.

Old anonymous man calling a kid who stayed at Shaker and just want to compete during his offseason selfish is fucced up and I should be able to spell it out in this instance. Despicable people on this forum man wow

Brian Hartline has been pulling most of his receivers off ONE 7v7 squad in south Florida the South Florida Express….ohio state literally hosts the coaches of that 7v7 team and has them bring up their players to Ohio State for visits. But yes let’s talk more about how college coaches don’t use 7v7 to help evaluate skill players.
Do you think it’s because those kids are coached up so well or maybe because that’s where all the studs go?

Do you think it’s because those kids are coached up so well or maybe because that’s where all the studs go?
I don’t think the studs would join up on one team if that team hadn’t shown the ability to be successful and at least somewhat well coached over time. SFE didn’t just snap their fingers and overnight have the best 7v7 squad in America. Also, it’s about getting reps against other good players. Receivers vs corners in 7v7 isn’t too far off from game reps when it comes to running routes and catching the ball and conversely covering.

If you believe that, then I have oceanfront property in North Dakota I'd like to sell you. This will only make the already very contentious relationship between Ohio schools and the AAU types even worse.
I can tell you from personal experience that while I coached in the South the HS coaches coached their teams.

I am sure the AAU coaches will still be lingering in the shadows but this actually now allows the HS coaches to have more ability to coach their kids. It just depends if they want to. It's getting closer and closer to year round coaching now, part of the reason I had to step away. It can become too much.

Old anonymous man calling a kid who stayed at Shaker and just want to compete during his offseason selfish is fucced up and I should be able to spell it out in this instance. Despicable people on this forum man wow
Then let me re-phrase; I'm not calling him selfish because of WHAT he was trying to accomplish, rather I'm calling him that because of HOW he went about it. If I'm his coach or a college coach, that's a huge red flag for me. (Also, not that it matters, but I'm also easily in the younger half of the posters on here)

If Ohio is letting the high school coaches be the coach of these 7v7 teams then I think it’s GREAT for the development of the players. Don’t have to worry about some random guys who don’t know anything forming teams just to make a buck.
If there's a way to limit the coaching of these 7v7 teams to actual high school coaches and keep out the types you mention in your second sentence, then I'd be much more supportive of this. However, that's likely easier said than done.

I'm an old fashioned man myself but it is time to get with the times! If kids want to compete and put themselves out there for college exposure then let them!
Silly statements calling kids "selfish" is embarrassing. Did AAU basketball ruin high school basketball? Did it make kids "selfish" to play a sport and work at something they love? Get off your rocker and go check out the real world.