OHSAA Board of Directors Approves Expansion Proposal

From May 2012 press release (on the OHSAA website):
The bylaw issue that did not pass for the second consecutive year was a proposal to change how schools are assigned to tournament divisions in the team sports of football, soccer, volleyball, basketball, baseball and softball to address competitive balance. Rather than place schools into OHSAA tournament divisions based strictly on male or female enrollment, a proposal to develop a sport-by-sport athletic count would have used enrollment as the initial factor and then potentially added enrollment based on a boundary factor (how a school secures students) and a tradition factor (sport-by-sport success in reaching the regional and/or state tournament over an eight-year period), and then potentially lost enrollment based on a socioeconomic factor (the number of students involved in the free lunch program). The athletic count proposal to address competitive balance in OHSAA tournaments failed 339 to 301 (53 percent to 47 percent). A similar proposal failed 332 to 303 (52 percent to 48 percent) in May 2011.

Money grab and sticking with the notion that everyone deserves a medal.

Ya know, everyone complains about participation trophies and stuff, but let me tell you something about them.

I'm a Millennial, born in the late 80s. Participation trophies and ribbons started when I was a kid, yes. But guess what....we didn't want them. Our parents and grandparents had this idea that we were all special and deserved recognition. We didn't want a BS trophy for losing.

So the ones who started participation trophies.....are the older people complaining about them now.

Ya know, everyone complains about participation trophies and stuff, but let me tell you something about them.

I'm a Millennial, born in the late 80s. Participation trophies and ribbons started when I was a kid, yes. But guess what....we didn't want them. Our parents and grandparents had this idea that we were all special and deserved recognition. We didn't want a BS trophy for losing.

So the ones who started participation trophies.....are the older people complaining about them now.
My kids were born in the early 90s and were not given participation trophies

Is there an estimate as to how many teams will move up into D-I and D-II based on competitive balance? Is it clear that will have a subsequent downward push on other teams in D-III and D-IV, etc... whereby a team that might now be a D-III team will go to D-IV because D-III will be recipient of displaced former D-II schools?

Is there an estimate as to how many teams will move up into D-I and D-II based on competitive balance? Is it clear that will have a subsequent downward push on other teams in D-III and D-IV, etc... whereby a team that might now be a D-III team will go to D-IV because D-III will be recipient of displaced former D-II schools?
IMO, there won't be a lot of movement from D-I to D-II once the cb numbers are applied. The bigger D-II schools based on enrollment historically haven't had large cb adjustments. Findlay will likely be D-1 after cb is factored in while Westerville North (same base enrollment as Findlay) could very well be D-2.

Will see maybe 5 or 6 schools jump from D-3 to D-2 after factoring in competitive balance. Lima Senior, Toledo St. John's, Toledo St. Francis, Barberton, and Stebbins are candidates. In the other divisions, there will be plenty of movement after factoring in cb. Maybe 8 or 9 moving up in each division with a corresponding number dropping down once cb is applied.

Here are my guesses on the breakdowns after factoring in competitive balance.

Division I 626-1335
Division I 440-625
Division III 277-439
Division IV 196-276
Division V 144-195
Division VI 97-143
Division VII 23-96

IMO, there won't be a lot of movement from D-I to D-II once the cb numbers are applied. The bigger D-II schools based on enrollment historically haven't had large cb adjustments. Findlay will likely be D-1 after cb is factored in while Westerville North (same base enrollment as Findlay) could very well be D-2.

Will see maybe 5 or 6 schools jump from D-3 to D-2 after factoring in competitive balance. Lima Senior, Toledo St. John's, Toledo St. Francis, Barberton, and Stebbins are candidates. In the other divisions, there will be plenty of movement after factoring in cb. Maybe 8 or 9 moving up in each division with a corresponding number dropping down once cb is applied.

Here are my guesses on the breakdowns after factoring in competitive balance.

Division I 626-1335
Division I 440-625
Division III 277-439
Division IV 196-276
Division V 144-195
Division VI 97-143
Division VII 23-96
This projection seems to closely aligned with what you have posted.