OHSAA Aiming For 7 Divisions

My experience with this is dated and largely anecdotal, but I will say that from the about district-final to regional-final round of baseball and basketball, the disparity in enrollment and thus quality of games reaches its peak. Literally one year in SW Ohio I had a D2 District Final between a top three and lower three school, and it was 11-0 in the first inning and we ended in 5. I even at one point wondered how the losing team was D2 but here we are.

Conversely the next year I had a top 10 D1 size school in BBK and what I found out later was the second smallest that year and it was like watching men play kids. Like the first three possessions were shocking as to how different these teams were. But if small school was D2 (I also had a D2 sectional game that year) they would have done just fine.

There are pros and cons to this new world. I don't personally think it waters things down or makes it a participation trophy case. I do think, however, we need to stop putting everyone INTO the postseason.

State Semi's would have to be held in 2 locations. 3 games per division at state is too many to stack up at one location.

So..either 2 locations or go with the travel ball BS and start semifinal games at 0800 and have time limits hahahahahaha.

There are pros and cons to this new world. I don't personally think it waters things down or makes it a participation trophy case. I do think, however, we need to stop putting everyone INTO the postseason.
DING DING DING!!!

And that's the real answer everyone is too scared to hear.

Not excited about this for baseball. Of all the sports, baseball is the one sport where upsets happen frequently. With 7 divisions, I fully expect a sub .500 team winning a championship at some point.
Already happened in 2005 under the current format.

To your point, it will occur more often. Especially those schools that will play in leagues with larger schools.

State Semi's would have to be held in 2 locations. 3 games per division at state is too many to stack up at one location.

So..either 2 locations or go with the travel ball BS and start semifinal games at 0800 and have time limits hahahahahaha.
Has the OHSAA discussed this yet? There are enough facilities in the greater CBus area to handle but they could also rotate divisions to different locations every year (Canton, Akron, Dayton, Columbus, etc.).

Has the OHSAA discussed this yet? There are enough facilities in the greater CBus area to handle but they could also rotate divisions to different locations every year (Canton, Akron, Dayton, Columbus, etc.).
Probably working on it. 12 games in three days at one site was alot of stress on the playing field (and basically the max either Columbus or Akron allowed) so this is not going at one site.

My guess is they will regionalize it and will have some travel but not a ton. For example, they would be able to use Prasco as one possibility - play 8 games in two days maybe. See if colleges would host others, maybe a larger HS field. Lots to work out with existing schedules as summer tourneys will have started at certain sites. Maybe even connect with all MiLB teams and see who can host yearly a couple of days.

The issue is going to be more focused on timing. Would you play all semis Thu-Fri around the state then finals Sat-Sun in say Columbus (they are back there I believe after this year)? That is alot of travel. Or would they be during the week earlier or even extend the season by a week? Lots to figure out.

Could reduce sectionals by a round or two (see my earlier point about not everyone making it) and go from there.

At the Clinic, Emily (OHSAA baseball rep) made it very clear that they had not even discussed the details with her, just that it was happening.
I would have to think everything up to Regionals may become home games for higher seeds. I dont see a world where you get enough District worthy fields to host. Baseball is one of few sports that the field and its conditions matter so greatly. Most BB courts that host are regulation size. Almost all football games are now played on turf. At this rate Oakwood will probably be hosting the D7 district game with light pole in left center and no right field fence. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

At the Clinic, Emily (OHSAA baseball rep) made it very clear that they had not even discussed the details with her, just that it was happening.
I would have to think everything up to Regionals may become home games for higher seeds. I dont see a world where you get enough District worthy fields to host. Baseball is one of few sports that the field and its conditions matter so greatly. Most BB courts that host are regulation size. Almost all football games are now played on turf. At this rate Oakwood will probably be hosting the D7 district game with light pole in left center and no right field fence. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Yeah the first time I worked a game there I was like "Welp, looks like some stats might be padded today."

I do know last time they redid divisions at this scale I was in an AD role and the frontline staff were as much in the dark as they were with this one.

I agree with the higher seed but here's my concern - what about the Oakwoods who may make it? That field will give a HUGE advantage.

There are plenty of turf fields around now for District games. Many high schools can be a host site for districts. Similar to the sectional finals going on in Basketball this year.

This is really going to benefit schools like Dover and Louisville. They're currently D1, but next year with 7 divisions they will be D3.

Yes, the benefit will be for all the schools that move 2-3 divisions. Small D1s that will now be D3; D4 teams that will be D6 or D7. The rest feels like a bit of a wash.
I think it's a wash for D1, because it will be basically the same schools battling in districts and regionals as it has always been, but the rest of the divisions will not only have schools making the large drop in divisions, but each division will also have a smaller pool of schools to compete with.

Long overdue for a program like Butler (always on the cusp of the cutoff) who has held their own against the likes of Moeller, Elder, Mason, etc…..but will be much better served playing teams that are more proportionate in the tournament.