Ohio State Buckeyes 2022

You don't fix a bad defense with a couple of adjustments the secondary lacks talent fortunately if OSU does get in none of the teams in the CFP have a great offense. Stroud did not have a bad game if OSU has a good receiving TE OSU likely would have scored 1 - 2 more TD's, The OSU offense will get a boost if JSN decides to play just to remind the NFL how good he is.
Does it feel to you that since about mid-season that the OSU offense has been OK and good, but not quite the lethal weapon it needs to be? My gut is to say that it has mostly had to do with some odd play-calling related to "be tough, physical, and run the ball", but I'm not sure. I want to see that offense just let loose. What do they have to lose? They will be a 4 seed and not much will be expected other than lose to Georgia bad.

But here is the thing - that D just has to be adequate if that offense is humming. It's a 2 game season now. You don't have to correct anything so that you can win a game in February. Do what you do well, maximize that, let it all hang out, and let's see if that can win a game or two.

Does it feel to you that since about mid-season that the OSU offense has been OK and good, but not quite the lethal weapon it needs to be? My gut is to say that it has mostly had to do with some odd play-calling related to "be tough, physical, and run the ball", but I'm not sure. I want to see that offense just let loose. What do they have to lose? They will be a 4 seed and not much will be expected other than lose to Georgia bad.

But here is the thing - that D just has to be adequate if that offense is humming. It's a 2 game season now. You don't have to correct anything so that you can win a game in February. Do what you do well, maximize that, let it all hang out, and let's see if that can win a game or two.
With the injuries the running game has been hampered, I don't think the line is an issue. Receiving corp outside Harrison is not great, not sure why Luke Lachey never got a scholarship offer. I don't know what kind of give and take goes on in these CFP committee meetings, but OSU can clearly tell the committee with the rb's healthy with JSN? back OSU has one of the best offenses of any team in the country. Defensive secondary is an issue but none of the CFP teams are great passing teams. have not seen TCU play.

With the injuries the running game has been hampered, I don't think the line is an issue. Receiving corp outside Harrison is not great, not sure why Luke Lachey never got a scholarship offer. I don't know what kind of give and take goes on in these CFP committee meetings, but OSU can clearly tell the committee with the rb's healthy with JSN? back OSU has one of the best offenses of any team in the country. Defensive secondary is an issue but none of the CFP teams are great passing teams. have not seen TCU play.
I think Egbuka is fantastic. He is perhaps overlooked because of 18, but he is a great receiver. Flemming and Stover just need a little more consistency, but Flemming caught everything catchable vs. Michigan. He just isn't a game-breaker like those other two guys. Stover needs to get better at blocking in space, but perhaps they need to stop asking him to do it.

I wish that they had offered L Lachey. I like those legacy type recruits. He is very good. I saw him play hoops in HS and he is an athlete. I'm sure there is a good reason they didn't go for him. You gotta remember that there is probably no better place in the country to go if you are a TE than Iowa. If they aren't running the ball, they are probably targeting a TE - and they play 2 or 3 all the time. So, he looks really good, but he would be asked to do very different things at Ohio State. But on the surface, not recruiting him seems like a mistake.

TCU is fun to watch. Max Duggan is one of those clutch players. There are guys that run better and QBs who throw better, but when you need a run or throw, he seems to make the play. He is deceptively fast - because he doesn't look like the kind of guy who should be as fast as he is, but you look and he is out-running angles on very fast DB's. He is Craig Krenzel with a lot more raw athletic ability.

Damn, Was the game televised? I was too busy being phissed at THE game. OSU vrs Michigan would be my choice. Would be a huge draw nationally and would answer all the questions about OSU.

I think Egbuka is fantastic. He is perhaps overlooked because of 18, but he is a great receiver. Flemming and Stover just need a little more consistency, but Flemming caught everything catchable vs. Michigan. He just isn't a game-breaker like those other two guys. Stover needs to get better at blocking in space, but perhaps they need to stop asking him to do it.

I wish that they had offered L Lachey. I like those legacy type recruits. He is very good. I saw him play hoops and he is an athlete. I'm sure there is a good reason they didn't go for him. You gotta remember that there is probably no better place in the country to go if you are a TE than Iowa. If they aren't running the ball, they are probably targeting a TE - and they play 2 or 3 all the time. So, he looks really good, but he would be asked to do very different things at Ohio State. But on the surface, not recruiting him seems like a mistake.

TCU is fun to watch. Max Duggan is one of those clutch players. There are guys that run better and QBs who throw better, but when you need a run or throw, he seems to make the play. He is deceptively fast - because he doesn't look like the kind of guy who should be as fast as he is, but you look and he is out-running angles on very fast DB's. He is Craig Krenzel with a lot more raw athletic ability.
Other than blocking in space. Is Stover that bad? Harrison dropped a pass in THE game. I thought Stover was good all year.

Well, boys, looks like we are in - whether we wanted to be or not.

Perhaps the coaching staff and players can get their heads right in a month. Being doubted might help.

Seldom does redemption present such an immediate and direct path.
So true, we will find out if this team has a desire to play the game or if Day has lost the team as so many think. They get a second chance and it would be glorious to see them rise to the occasion and beat Xichigan

Lots of wild over-reactions, as usual, in Buckeyeland. "Fire everyone!" "Burn it all down!" "Stroud is awful!" Grow up you spoiled children.

I think that two things lost the game:

1) Defensively, the Bucks played a 4-2-5 all year, with 3 safeties. Played it very well, lots of zone, covered up the weak corners with safety help, and as a result only gave up one play over 60 yard in the first 11 games. Everyone ran to the ball and they mostly stopped the run also. Knowles changed it up for TTUN, focused on stopping the run, and left his corners in a lot of man coverage. It sort of worked in the first half, they smothered the run but got burned twice with the man coverage - DBs were just not good enough, and nobody seemed to know their assignments. In the second half whatever adjustments were made failed - I rarely recognized the defense they were in, but somehow there were never safeties around when #7 popped through a gap in the line. Just a disaster of a plan. If Knowles had stuck with the plan they had all year, the kids would know their assignments, and the game would have been very different.

2) Offensive plays calls were overly conservative. I think Day felt the pressure. Most obvious were the 4th downs when we were across midfield and he punted. CJ really wanted to go for that first one and we punted. That showed a lack of confidence in both the offense and the defense, and that sort of timid/nervous thinking bled down into the entire team. Everyone played nervous in the 2nd half.

I also have to say Michigan played really well. They had answers for what we tried to do, and they made no mistakes. Their DBs were better than I expected. Credit to their coaches and players.

Having said that, firing Day or Knowles would be foolish beyond belief, thankfully none of the childish OSU fans are in charge. There is a tremendous recruiting pipeline in place; hopefully both coaches learned from their mistakes Saturday, and I'd be willing to bet that OSU is right back in the conversation next year for the championship.

I'd also love to see a USC or TCU loss to let the Bucks sneak in at #4. I still think this team would be a scary draw for UGA or UM in the playoffs.
Not an overreaction. This OSU team had no business getting blown out at home by Michigan especially with no Corum. Getting burned by JJ mediocre McCarthy.

Recruiting pipeline? Every other day someone is decommiting from OSU. Getting routed by your rival 2 years in a row is not great for recruiting.

Day says on College Game Day: "Moving forward we are gonna play loose, we are going to be aggressive, and we are gonna go at people. There can't be anyone in our program that feels pressure. We are just going to roll and I think we can be a dangerous team in the playoffs."

That is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear. Music to my ears.

Now we will see if he actually does it.

I got you point. When the Big10 eliminates divisions in 24 and the playoffs expands to 12, OSU and Michigan can play twice a year. Keeping the game the last game of the year is stupid and hurts the conference. The SEC would never do this. Honest question to you, if this game would have been played in the middle of the season, who would be the top four teams right now?
Highest ratings for a regular season college game in over a decade. Is that true in the middle of the season?

Rivalry games at the end of the year is how it's supposed to be.

Recruiting pipeline? Every other day someone is decommiting from OSU. Getting routed by your rival 2 years in a row is not great for recruiting.
They’ve had 4 all year and only 2 true decommits lol they asked Brock to look elsewhere and Dijon had a baby. Even factoring in Dijon, that’s 3 all year. Hardly every other day. And 0 decommits due to losing to Michigan

You don't fix a bad defense with a couple of adjustments the secondary lacks talent fortunately if OSU does get in none of the teams in the CFP have a great offense. Stroud did not have a bad game if OSU has a good receiving TE OSU likely would have scored 1 - 2 more TD's, The OSU offense will get a boost if JSN decides to play just to remind the NFL how good he is.
LOL, one game doesn’t make a bad defense. The defense has proved itself over 11 games. Eliminate the big plays and I like our chances

LOL, one game doesn’t make a bad defense. The defense has proved itself over 11 games. Eliminate the big plays and I like our chances
Proved what? That it’s mediocre at best? 30+ to Maryland and Penn State, publicly flogged by Michigan, played a bunch of subpar offenses beyond that. OSU defense reeks like a slice of bologna that got lost under the fridge for a year.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Proved what? That it’s mediocre at best? 30+ to Maryland and Penn State, publicly flogged by Michigan, played a bunch of subpar offenses beyond that. OSU defense reeks like a slice of bologna that got lost under the fridge for a year.

And still held ND to less than 80 yards rushing, 250 total yards and 1 touchdown. That must make ND’s offense a Charlie Weiss turd after eating a Limburger cheese sandwich that was reheated in the microwave.

And still held ND to less than 80 yards rushing, 250 total yards and 1 touchdown. That must make ND’s offense a Charlie Weiss turd after eating a Limburger cheese sandwich that was reheated in the microwave.
Notre Dame’s offense was not good early in the season. That’s been discussed ad nauseum. Your description is noted and not appreciated, follower.

Not against Notre Damn we didn’t- keep up !

Notre Dame’s offense was not good early in the season. That’s been discussed ad nauseum. Your description is noted and not appreciated, follower.

Apparently not that good at the end of the year either. Under 100 yards rushing against that sieve of a defense? 😬

Bama has twice won national championships after not winning the SEC West. Last year Georgia lost the SEC title game and won it all. I really think this team, with healthy RB's, can win it all. The talent is there. Losing a big game can be a great motivator.

Well, boys, looks like we are in - whether we wanted to be or not.

Perhaps the coaching staff and players can get their heads right in a month. Being doubted might help.

Seldom does redemption present such an immediate and direct path.
I'm not convinced OSU is in.

"USC shouldn't be punished for playing while OSU sat home"

"Bama has 2 losses but the SEC is the best in the nation"

Congratulations Buckeyes? 2022 National Champions. Just wanted to be the first to congratulate The Ohio State University.