Ohio State Buckeyes 2021

maybe they should have have scheduled Charleston Southern and UAB, and play Clemson ( who is WEAK this year) at a nuetral site....... like the Bulldogs..... and of course Vandy and the VOLs...... LOL!!!!

Do you think Georgia would have lost to OSU?

I still think it all comes down to Day. Coombs has issues, as mentioned they line up in a 4 man front and play man 90% of the time but most importantly as a team they do not focus on the little things. This is what separates the great coaches from everyone else. Day's teams have won sloppy, relying on big pass plays, while out-duding 99% of their opponents.

I have said it on here since Day was hired. He cares about his passing game. He wants to show the world how dynamic it is (and it is) but he loses sight of the importance of establishing and maintaining a run game. They threw for 484 yards yesterday and lost.

Guys who are strictly offensive minded see the game so differently.
They threw for 484 because they were behind the entire game because the defense couldn't stop anyone

cant run the RPO.... if the QB doesn't want to keep the ball and run...
Yeah - he is definitely an unwilling runner. Is that him, the coaches, or an injury making both of them take that out of the offense? He does work his non throwing shoulder at times between plays.

Do you think Georgia would have lost to OSU?
who knows, but what I'm saying is that the Bulldogs play a WEAK schedule .... i really wasn;t that impressed with the way Clemson was playing, and they only put 10 on them, didn't they?

They threw all game because that is what they do. Establishing the run with that monster Oline is what they should do more of. Something Urban and Tressel and Saban understand.
That doesn’t track with the stats from his only full season we can judge from…2019.

They had a per game average of 29 passes and 47 rushes. 264 yards passing per game and 267 yards rushing. JK Dobbins ran for 2003 yards and Master Teague had almost 800. Plus, Justin Fields rushed for 400+ yards.

That doesn’t track with the stats from his only full season we can judge from…2019.

They had a per game average of 29 passes and 47 rushes. 264 yards passing per game and 267 yards rushing. JK Dobbins ran for 2003 yards and Master Teague had almost 800. Plus, Justin Fields rushed for 400+ yards.
All about when those yards come. Offensive guys like Day, Wilson, Riley, see the game differently. On every pass play if the right read is made there is a play. And this is true but there are too many variables.

UM is the damned polar opposite. They marched the field with something like 7 straight run plays last night. It worked, but passing when you want vs when you need is the key. Not to mention defenses stay fresh against pass teams. Run games wear you down and you have 3 special backs, a giant great Oline, and you are throwing 15 yard comeback routes. Why?

As if things weren't rough enough on defense, Josh Proctor's absence will be titanic. Shaw was awful, and looked lost. He was essentially responsible for two Oregon TD's. If you had asked me before the season, who would be the most critical piece to hold together the D this year, I would have said Proctor. It will be interesting to see what they do moving forward. Maybe they will move Brown to the backend as Burke continues to improve.

I remember the dark days of having an OL Coach in Jim "the walrus" Bollman running the offense with an overly predictable run heavy package that had zero imagination or creative play calling. I'm not going to complain too much about having an actual offensive guru opting for chucking the ball all over the field too much on occasion.

They have been in the vicinity of 60/40 run/pass three of the last four years, and were 50/50 the one year Haskins was the QB. All with Day influencing the offense if not running the show. I would be surprised if they don't end up being at least 50/50 run/pass this year, and they should be as both Williams and Henderson are studs and it should help open up more vertical big play passing opportunities. It would certainly help if they didn't play from behind all game, although even in a situation such as on Saturday they need to be able to run the ball effectively to 1) accumulate drive time and keep a porous defense that can't get stops off the field and 2) finish drives as the field shortens to the last 20-30 yards. They can get chunk yardage with ease against most opponents to move the ball, but the throws and windows get much tougher on a younger QB as the field compresses.

They threw for 484 because they were behind the entire game because the defense couldn't stop anyone
They were behind the entire game because they ran 9 plays for 44 yards their first possession and more plays that second series (12 plays for 61 yards) than any other series by either team in the game - and ended up without points.
Scoring on either of those could have made a huge change in the game.
28 points would only have won about 6 major college games Saturday.

I remember the dark days of having an OL Coach in Jim "the walrus" Bollman running the offense with an overly predictable run heavy package that had zero imagination or creative play calling. I'm not going to complain too much about having an actual offensive guru opting for chucking the ball all over the field too much on occasion.

They have been in the vicinity of 60/40 run/pass three of the last four years, and were 50/50 the one year Haskins was the QB. All with Day influencing the offense if not running the show. I would be surprised if they don't end up being at least 50/50 run/pass this year, and they should be as both Williams and Henderson are studs and it should help open up more vertical big play passing opportunities. It would certainly help if they didn't play from behind all game, although even in a situation such as on Saturday they need to be able to run the ball effectively to 1) accumulate drive time and keep a porous defense that can't get stops off the field and 2) finish drives as the field shortens to the last 20-30 yards. They can get chunk yardage with ease against most opponents to move the ball, but the throws and windows get much tougher on a younger QB as the field compresses.
I'm certainly not saying return to the Bollman days but emphasis on run needs to go up in order to win. Bollman also went to MSU and had some great success if I am not mistaken. Strong running game too, that 2013 team was lights out.

I’m with many posters on here. We need to run the ball to set up the pass. And we need to be running the stud freshman more. Why the loyalty to Miyan and Master when you have recruited a 5 star stud in Trey? The idea is to win games and giving Henderson the ball is the better choice at this point. Set up the play action and let Stroud do his thing.

I like Coombes, but clearly he’s been very vanilla with his looks, which is fine if you’re playing St Mary’s school for the blind.
But against good competition you have to change up your looks and can’t just expect to out athlete everybody. If we can’t change this fast we’re gonna get exposed again. There’s plenty more good teams on the schedule that can take advantage of this

I’m with many posters on here. We need to run the ball to set up the pass. And we need to be running the stud freshman more. Why the loyalty to Miyan and Master when you have recruited a 5 star stud in Trey? The idea is to win games and giving Henderson the ball is the better choice at this point. Set up the play action and let Stroud do his thing.
Largely agree except for the bolded. I don't care what Miyan was rated as a high schooler, the Miyan that has been in a college weight room is a 3 star that's developed into a 5 star type talent. That dude is like a pinball and is almost impossible to tackle 1-on-1 once through the hole or around the end. In what's still a fairly limited sample size, he has a handful of impressive punishing runs such as the long TD against Minnesota where he stiff armed some poor DB into the ground and the run against Clemson where he literally ran over a DB in space along the sideline.

There is more than enough opportunity for both. Great things are going to happen for this offense if they can average 30-35 touches a game between those two.

Just like an offense needs balance between running and passing, a team needs balance between offense and defense.
Would anyone argue that Day and Meyer are both more into O than D?
Looking at the 28 points or less cutoff on offense.
Day has had 5 games scoring 28 or less and is 2 - 3 in those games, or 40% win pct.
Meyer had 20 games and was 12 - 8 in those games, or 60% win pct.
Tressel had 77 games and was 50 - 27 in those games, or 65% win pct.
Whether it's the recruiting or coaching, don't know, but the defense just hasn't been as good under Day.

If Day is going to have a losing win pct when scoring 28 points, he needs to figure out a way to score more.
Or
As many have stated, fix the defense, either recruiting or coaching.

Had a conversation about defense v. offense with a friend. We both got to the point where we agreed that TOSU are heading in a direction that is similar to Oklahoma as opposed to looking like Bama. I am hopeful it is youth, but I am worried it may have much more to do with coaching and scheme.

A HUGE loss with Proctor,went along with his growing pains and now he's gone for the year.

Al Washington doesn’t get enough criticism, despite his LBers being pretty much the weak point of the defense the last few years. They were terrible against Oregon.
This was a much hyped hire and he's done very little that's praise worthy the last few years IMO. I wish he would have taken the defensive coordinator job at Tennessee (an offer that probably validates why that program is consistently terrible) and that Ohio State would have handed Marcus Freeman a blank check to call the defense and coach linebackers.

The last few years the defense has largely been a disappointment outside of the one year where they had Hafley on staff before he became the head coach at Boston College.

Had a conversation about defense v. offense with a friend. We both got to the point where we agreed that TOSU are heading in a direction that is similar to Oklahoma as opposed to looking like Bama. I am hopeful it is youth, but I am worried it may have much more to do with coaching and scheme.
They look like Oklahoma, very much so, because Lincoln Riley is Ryan Day, Ryan Day is Lincoln Riley. They both care about showing the world their awesome pass schemes and care little about much else.

Alabama chews through OC's & QB coaches but one constant remains - Defense AND they run the F-ing ball. Yes they throw very well, and much like OSU they outdude everyone they face, but they still understand the establishment of the run and what it does for you. Saban knows the recipe (obviously).

Riley will be looking for work shortly after joining the SEC. I give Day maybe a couple more years.

OSU has twice the talent as Oregon and the Ducks beat OSU at 9AM, in Cbus, without their top two defenders.

Largely agree except for the bolded. I don't care what Miyan was rated as a high schooler, the Miyan that has been in a college weight room is a 3 star that's developed into a 5 star type talent. That dude is like a pinball and is almost impossible to tackle 1-on-1 once through the hole or around the end. In what's still a fairly limited sample size, he has a handful of impressive punishing runs such as the long TD against Minnesota where he stiff armed some poor DB into the ground and the run against Clemson where he literally ran over a DB in space along the sideline.

There is more than enough opportunity for both. Great things are going to happen for this offense if they can average 30-35 touches a game between those two.
Spot on.

I think Teague is the 3rd best back. He is big and fast but takes just a smidge to get going and is largely N/S. Williams and Henderson are special. They can cut and get vertical in a hurry. Miyan has definitely developed into a 5 star. OSU needs to take far more advantage of these 3.

Last edited:
They look like Oklahoma, very much so, because Lincoln Riley is Ryan Day, Ryan Day is Lincoln Riley. They both care about showing the world their awesome pass schemes and care little about much else.

Alabama chews through OC's & QB coaches but one constant remains - Defense AND they run the F-ing ball. Yes they throw very well, and much like OSU they outdude everyone they face, but they still understand the establishment of the run and what it does for you. Saban knows the recipe (obviously).

Riley will be looking for work shortly after joining the SEC. I give Day maybe a couple more years.

OSU has twice the talent as Oregon and the Ducks beat OSU at 9AM, in Cbus, without their top two defenders.
didn't Dobbins run wild in Days offense?

the key thing is , they are running the RPO offense with a QB that doesn't want to run the BALL......

thats a slow developing type of run offense...... useless if the QB won't read the end, and keeps it every now and then..... which he didn't do against the Ducks....

All the crazy rumors today are entertaining. From Mark Dantonio to Will Muschamp. Neither will happen. It will be interesting to see if they lean more directly on Paul Rhoads perspective from the analyst role. No clue how that even works, in terms of flipping him to the defensive coaching staff, whilst moving another current coach to analyst. In any event, I doubt Coombs is play-calling this weekend.

All the crazy rumors today are entertaining. From Mark Dantonio to Will Muschamp. Neither will happen. It will be interesting to see if they lean more directly on Paul Rhoads perspective from the analyst role. No clue how that even works, in terms of flipping him to the defensive coaching staff, whilst moving another current coach to analyst. In any event, I doubt Coombs is play-calling this weekend.
I would think it would be virtually impossible for Rhoads to just jump in and have any success at all if they've been even remotely limiting him to what he's allowed to do as an analyst. Probably the most they could do there is make him a man behind the curtain type in his current role, and effectively have him handing things down to those actively coaching on that side of the ball.

Probably the only real option for Coombs to not be the game day play-caller on defense is Larry Johnson.