Ohio Heritage Conference 2023

Burg living rent free in West Jeff’s head.

Pretty sure everyone knows that…
“Burg owns the North” sign was homemade by the WJ groupies. Nice try.

Sure hope the officials aren’t NE residents, hope all 11 starters for Wj are finally healthy, hope Wj doesn’t have to play a bunch of sophomores and freshman, hope the WJ faithful have something good to say about the Rider defense, and I hope they complete 10 jet sweep passes every quarter.

GOOD LUCK to the OHC this week and into the post season!!!

Sure hope the officials aren’t NE residents, hope all 11 starters for Wj are finally healthy, hope Wj doesn’t have to play a bunch of sophomores and freshman, hope the WJ faithful have something good to say about the Rider defense, and I hope they complete 10 jet sweep passes every quarter.

Hey you forgot the onside kickoffs

I’m thinking Buescher needed something to get his boys hyped. if they did indeed do that. Then it worked pretty well, I can also see Burg doing something like that. Both schools have been doing things like this since for a handful of years

I’m thinking Buescher needed something to get his boys hyped. if they did indeed do that. Then it worked pretty well, I can also see Burg doing something like that. Both schools have been doing things like this since for a handful of years
Can’t remember what year it was but it was when Wj was still playing London. It might have been my senior year in the 80’s but there was a Rough Rider hanging from the goal post. To this day I still don’t know if it was London or someone from Wj that did it. 😂

I was able to catch Burg JH play against NE, looked pretty good, seems like numbers are up more than what I was told. 22 players in uniform and 3 players who were in street clothes. pretty sure they finished the season 6-2!

I was able to catch Burg JH play against NE, looked pretty good, seems like numbers are up more than what I was told. 22 players in uniform and 3 players who were in street clothes. pretty sure they finished the season 6-2!
Good to hear the JH numbers are up. Crazy to think with all the success they have had that numbers is an issue

WJ 8th grade football team has 21 players and the 7th grade has 19.
8th Grade is currently 7-0 and play Northeastern tomorrow.
WJ 46 - Madison Plains 0
WJ 32 - Greenview 0
WJ 48 - Southeastern 8
WJ 50 - Mechanicsburg 6
WJ 18 - West Liberty 0
WJ 46 - Triad 0
WJ 38 - Fairbanks 0
WJ - Northeastern

Good to hear the JH numbers are up. Crazy to think with all the success they have had that numbers is an issue
JH for Burg has had number issues in the past, this year senior class didn't even have a team for their 7th grade year, and the year before that barely had a team.

WJ 8th grade football team has 21 players and the 7th grade has 19.
8th Grade is currently 7-0 and play Northeastern tomorrow.
WJ 46 - Madison Plains 0
WJ 32 - Greenview 0
WJ 48 - Southeastern 8
WJ 50 - Mechanicsburg 6
WJ 18 - West Liberty 0
WJ 46 - Triad 0
WJ 38 - Fairbanks 0
WJ - Northeastern

Do you happen to know the WJ 7th graders record & scores?

Heard that the WJ JH has some pretty big kids, I remember a couple years ago how much of a force they were in JH Football and Basketball. Looked like grown men compared to the teams they played in both sports.

Heard that the WJ JH has some pretty big kids, I remember a couple years ago how much of a force they were in JH Football and Basketball. Looked like grown men compared to the teams they played in both sports.
I remember when the Burg had huge kids on their JH team. They were built like varsity players.

I won't get to attend a single game this year due to work and the new playoff schedule with all teams playing on Fridays but I follow along through the message boards and league websites best I can and try to contribute where I can.

Owning the North got me thinking......who really does own the north? So between the OHC website and Joe Eitel's website here is what I found from 2017 through week 9 of 2023.

Burg 26-8 ( 4-1, 3-2, 3-2, 5-0, 5-0, 4-1, 2-2 so far) 2 out right Titles - 4 2nds
WJ 26-8 ( 5-0, 4-1, 4-1, 4-1, 4-1, 1-4, 4-0 so far) 1 out right title - 2 shared titles - 2 2nds - 1 4th
WLS 18-16 ( 3-2, 3-2, 4-1, 2-3, 1-4, 2-3, 3-1 so far) 1 shared title - 1 2nd - 2 3rds - 1 4th - 1 5th
FB 15-19 ( 2-3, 4-1, 3-2, 3-2, 2-3, 1-4, 0-4 so far) 1 shared title - 1 2nd - 1 3rd - 3 4ths
NE 11-23 ( 1-4, 0-5, 0-5, 0-5, 3-2, 5-0, 2-2 so far) 1 outright title - 1 3rd - 2 4ths - 1 5th - 1 6th
Triad 7-27 ( 0-5, 1-4, 1-4, 2-4, 0-5, 2-3, 1-3 so far) 3 3rds - 1 5th - 2 6ths

Due to ties the following years had the following rankings in case you're as confused as I was!

2017- 1st -6th
2018 - 1,1,2,2,3,4
2019 - 1,1,2,2,3,4
2020- 1st - 6th
2021- 1st - 6th
2022- 1,2,3,3,4,4

2023 rankings through week 9

WJ - 4-0
WLS - 3-1
Burg - 2-2
NE - 2-2
Triad 1-3
FB - 0-4

Interesting note - Burg is only team to never have a losing record in the OHC North ( need a win Friday to keep that streak alive)

Hopefully this gives everyone some facts and information to go off of when trying to figure out who the "king of the north" may or may not be, enjoy everyone!

Do you happen to know the WJ 7th graders record & scores?
From what I have found and was told. They are 2-4 with a game against Madison Plains 7th grade with some 8th graders tomorrow.
WJ 14 - Miami Trace 7th 0
WJ 0 - Greenview 7th with a couple 8th 21
WJ 20 - Buckeye Valley 7th 6
WJ 0 - Trotwood Madison 7th 38
WJ 14 - Bexley 7th with a couple 8th 22
WJ 0 - Logan 7th 26
WJ - Madison Plains 7th with a couple 8th

From what I have found and was told. They are 2-4 with a game against Madison Plains 7th grade with some 8th graders tomorrow.
WJ 14 - Miami Trace 7th 0
WJ 0 - Greenview 7th with a couple 8th 21
WJ 20 - Buckeye Valley 7th 6
WJ 0 - Trotwood Madison 7th 38
WJ 14 - Bexley 7th with a couple 8th 22
WJ 0 - Logan 7th 26
WJ - Madison Plains 7th with a couple 8th

Thank you for the info. The main thing is 19 kids are out playing. By the time they are seniors if 13-15 stay with it, WJ will be just fine because of hard work, good coaching & culture.

Week 10

West Jefferson Rough Riders over the Northeastern Jets 23-16

West Liberty Salem Tigers over the Fairbanks Panthers 42-6

Mechanicsburg Indians over the Triad Cardinals 34-7

Greeneview Rams over the Cedarville Indians 28-24

Southeastern Trojans over the Greenon Knights 44-0

Catholic Central Irish over the Madison Plains Golden Eagles 21-14

Congrats on the Jr High success, which has been proven time and time again to have 0 impact on HS success. It’s like Ryan Day bragging about St Ignatius. Why are we talking about that in week 10? 1/3 of those kids won’t be playing their senior year.

I think a lot will be exposed this week and I’m excited for it. Unless it’s WLS getting exposed. 😂

Congrats on the Jr High success, which has been proven time and time again to have 0 impact on HS success. It’s like Ryan Day bragging about St Ignatius. Why are we talking about that in week 10? 1/3 of those kids won’t be playing their senior year.

I think a lot will be exposed this week and I’m excited for it. Unless it’s WLS getting exposed. 😂
I don't think they will. Lol. Looking like Arcanum week 11 for WLS.

Sounds like your wishing in one hand and shiting in the other

Sounds like your wishing in one hand and shiting in the other
Burg Jr High played 8 man football a few years ago…I believe in high school they won the league and a possibly part of a final 4 team??
At some point the bigger, stronger, and faster advantage catches up. Kids mature and get better…not sure why this is hard to comprehend. I agree with WLS_COLOR…it’s been proven time and again.

London’s JH has been dominating for years. Only been translating to high school since Cutler has been there. Coaching and continuity of the system does wonders. However, you just never know with so many variables, how they’ll turn out on varsity.

Week 10

West Jefferson Rough Riders over the Northeastern Jets 23-16

West Liberty Salem Tigers over the Fairbanks Panthers 42-6

Mechanicsburg Indians over the Triad Cardinals 34-7

Greeneview Rams over the Cedarville Indians 28-24

Southeastern Trojans over the Greenon Knights 44-0

Catholic Central Irish over the Madison Plains Golden Eagles 21-14
Careful you might get kicked out for picking the Irish.

I agree that Jr High, Freshman and JV success (winning) is not the end all/be all. The goal of a good football program should be the development of the players so they are ready & able to perform when it is their time under the Friday night lights. I even recall a story about a Marion Local Jr high team that once was winless only to end up being State Champs as high school Seniors.

Things do change between Jr High to high school: kids move/transfer, discontinue playing or simply may not physically develop & grow. WJ’s current seniors were very dominant in Jr high, I believe they even beat Clinton Massie 30 something to 8 in 8th grade. However, I believe WJ current seniors have at least 4 kids no longer playing due to moving out of the district or not playing football any longer - 2 of these kids will be 1st team all state football players at their current high schools this year (congrats to them).

I do disagree with your statement that jr high success has “0 impact on high school success”. I remembered those Jr high & freshman games I played in and learning the importance of doing the little things which led to winning. Regardless of who is on the field, if one has a ‘West Jeff’ on the front of their jersey the standard & expectation is to play like a champion and find a way to win. In the mid 1980’s the WJ freshman teams had a 5 year unbeaten streak of 35 or so games. The freshman the 6th year started off 1-3 or something like that. The WJ head coach John Sines went and had a chat with the freshman (freshman did not practice with the varsity back then). I do not know exactly what was said but I have no doubt it left a lasting impression on those freshman. Those WJ freshmen would go on to have a losing record that year but as Seniors they had a successful season and I believe a trip to the playoffs. Their successful senior year did not start or begin as seniors, I’d venture to say it started the day they had that ‘chat’ with Coach Sines.

Last edited:
This current senior class has had 5 two ways starters move or quit since 8th grade. They would all start both ways on this team now.
DE/LT plays at Nordonia and is committed to Navy D1. Also moved after starting for the 2021 Final 4 team.
TB/FS plays at Jonathan Alder
WR/SS plays at Jonathan Alder
WR/CB Quit football after Freshman year
DT/RT Quit after starting for the 2021 Final 4 team

Lots of variables in HS sports, interesting to see that when some schools have people quit it's painted into a culture issue or the program is in decline but not if it's the home team of whoever the poster may cheer for. I suppose that's the beauty of rose colored glasses or just praying on/for the downfall of others.

Good Luck to all!