Votes: 1 2.9%
  • New Philadelphia

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • West Holmes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wooster

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Well you need to win two tournament games to be 19-5,that would put you in the district finals,we will see if that happens, probably a pretty decent chance that will happen, but it's tournament time and anything can happen

Final OCC Standings

1. Lexington 12-2
2. New Philadelphia 12-2
3. Mansfield Sr. 11-3
4. Madison 6-8
5. Wooster 6-8
6. Mt. Vernon 4-10
7. Ashland 4-10
8. West Holmes 1-13
Solid championship for Philly. Now the real season starts. They have a great chance to go to regionals. Never easy !

Solid championship for Philly. Now the real season starts. They have a great chance to go to regionals. Never easy !
NP joined the OCC at the right time. New head coach who is a good one and 2 returning studs with 3 years as varsity starters. Next year they will have to get back to work, but Ross will do good things there.

Ashland 46
Toledo Bowsher 60
By the way, in 2020 Toledo Bowsher changed the name of its mascot from the Rebels to the Blue Racers, dropping the name because many felt it was a nod to the Confederacy.

A blue racer is a nonvenomous snake that is found in the South Toledo area.

The logo features a representation of a snake. The school retained its previous colors of Columbia blue, red, and white.

Bowsher opened as a high school in 1962 and is named after the late E. L. Bowsher, a former Toledo City Schools superintendent.

By the way, in 2020 Toledo Bowsher changed the name of its mascot from the Rebels to the Blue Racers, dropping the name because many felt it was a nod to the Confederacy.

The logo features a representation of a snake. The school retained its previous colors of Columbia blue, red, and white.

Bowsher opened as a high school in 1962 and is named after the late E. L. Bowsher, a former Toledo City Schools superintendent.
E.L. Bowsher was also the Ashland City Schools superintendent in the 1930's.

Bowsher must have been a baby boomer school like Malabar, Elyria West, and Lorains Admiral King and Southview were

Bowsher must have been a baby boomer school like Malabar, Elyria West, and Lorains Admiral King and Southview were
You are absolutely correct. Bowsher and Toledo Start were both built around the same time to meet Toledo's growing school enrollment.

However, the original Bowsher building was closed several years ago, and a new building was built on South Detroit Ave. close to the campus of the Medical College of Ohio, a freestanding academic health science center that merged with University of Toledo in 2006, and closer to the original Libbey school district.

With the closure of Toledo Libbey, which really caused some hard feelings among its graduates, those students now attend Bowsher.

You are absolutely correct. Bowsher and Toledo Start were both built around the same time to meet Toledo's growing school enrollment.

However, the original Bowsher building was closed several years ago, and a new building was built on South Detroit Ave. close to the campus of the Medical College of Ohio, a freestanding academic health science center that merged with University of Toledo in 2006, and closer to the original Libbey school district.

With the closure of Toledo Libbey, which really caused some hard feelings among its graduates, those students now attend Bowsher.
Libbey, the late Larry Cook's Alma mater, who's Sandusky's winningest Football Coach

Speaking of hard feelings, a neighbor lady in Fremont and our mutual friend were proud DeVillbiss alums. I had to ask what's it like during Class Reunions. Also, my first ever game at Fremont Harmon Stadium was against those Tigers, Week 2 1980. Ross won 41-0 despite called for 15 penalties at 225 yards worth. As a near 10 year old, I was educated on some of fans verbiage that night

Bellevue over TY on half court shot? Honestly, I see Senior taking Redmen to the shed

Libbey, the late Larry Cook's Alma mater, who's Sandusky's winningest Football Coach

Speaking of hard feelings, a neighbor lady in Fremont and our mutual friend were proud DeVillbiss alums. I had to ask what's it like during Class Reunions. Also, my first ever game at Fremont Harmon Stadium was against those Tigers, Week 2 1980. Ross won 41-0 despite called for 15 penalties at 225 yards worth. As a near 10 year old, I was educated on some of fans verbiage that night

Bellevue over TY on half court shot? Honestly, I see Senior taking Redmen to the shed
Soon after I moved to Toledo in 1977, I quickly learned that Toledoans often referred to DeVilbiss graduates as “cake eaters,” because the DeVilbiss school district included some prosperous West Toledo neighborhoods in the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s.

I bet DeVilbiss graduates have a lot of fun at their class reunions. A fair number, I would surmise, went to college and enjoyed successful professional and personal lives.

In the mid-1970s, DeVilbiss, led by Terry Crosby, class of 1975, who was a top football and basketball player and later a star at the University of Tennessee, and Toledo Scott, led by Truman Claytor, who started on the 1978 national basketball champion University of Kentucky, had some legendary basketball games. Crosby spent 17 years in Europe playing professional basketball before returning to Toledo, and Claytor went on to become a well-respected high school basketball referee in Toledo.

During the 1985-86 season, a then state-ranked Mansfield Senior team coached by Joe Prats journeyed to DeVilbiss and got beat 80-72 in DeVilbiss’s bandbox gym.

I hope you are right about Friday night's game between Mansfield Senior and Bellevue. The Tygers really seem to be clicking on all cylinders.

D2 NW

Mansfield Senior 64
Bellevue 59

Next Thursday night, a rematch between Sandusky (22-1) and Mansfield Senior (17-7) in an Ashland District semi-final game. Sandusky beat Senior High 79-74 earlier this month.

Excuse me for a moment as I crank up a Temptations’ timeless oldie, “Get Ready.”

Ah yes, another epic showdown between two old Buckeye Conference antagonists, Sandusky (22-1) and Mansfield Senior (17-7), Thursday night in the Division II Ashland District.

According to crawfordcountybasketball,com, the Tygers, winners of their last six games, lead the series 61-40, including 12-6 in tournament play.

The only other teams Senior High has played more in its basketball history are Ashland and Mansfield Madison.

During their Buckeye Conference days, the teams played twice in the regular season and sometimes met in the post-season, producing memorable games where the teams usually went back and forth from the opening tip and often turned on a final possession.

Sandusky beat Senior High 79-74 earlier this year, but no lead was safe. The Tygers played without a healthy 6-5 Elias “LaLa” Owens, a Bowling Green and Eastern Michigan football offeree, who is now back in the lineup.

In addition to Owens, three other football players have been major contributors to the team’s success—6-4 quarterback and starter Duke Reese; lineman Ahmaan Thomas, who holds offers from Marshall and Kent State, and defensive back Ja'Ontay O'Bryant, who is a relentless on-ball defender.

The Tygers have had outstanding guard play from three-point shooter Nathaniel Haney, Karion Lindsay, Kyevi Roane and freshman Rashad Reed, Jr., who comes off the bench.

Sixth-year Tyger head coach and Senior High grad Marquis Sykes, a 2014 inductee into the Morehead State University Hall of Fame who enjoyed a stellar playing career at the Kentucky school, has done an outstanding job, with the Tygers winning 10 more games this year than last.

Thursday’s night game will be another in one of Ohio’s most storied basketball rivalries.

Sixth-year Tyger head coach and Senior High grad Marquis Sykes, a 2014 inductee into the Morehead State University Hall of Fame who enjoyed a stellar playing career at the Kentucky school, has done an outstanding job, with the Tygers winning 10 more games this year than last.
Many Tyger fans see it differently. They see last year's 5 win regular season as unacceptable and this year SHOULD be the normal for their team.

Many Tyger fans see it differently. They see last year's 5 win regular season as unacceptable and this year SHOULD be the normal for their team.
Mansfield Senior head basketball coach Marquis Sykes doesn’t need a lecture about the expectations for Tyger basketball.

Gawh, he helped establish them, leading some of Gregg Collins’ outstanding teams in the late 1990s, including the 1998-1999 team that went 22-4 and that lost in the state semi-finals to Cincinnati Moeller, 49-43.

The 2021-2022 Tyger basketball team that went 7-16 was very young and experienced growing pains, losing six games by a total of 21 points as well as a loss to Spire Academy, a basketball factory that masquerades as a high school.

They've changed that theme in close-scoring contests this year, winning overtime games against Lexington and Trotwood-Madison and close contests against Rossford and Toledo Scott.

One challenge Sykes has faced in the last two years is that the football players who play basketball have joined the team late because of the Tygers’ deep playoff runs, and it’s taken them time to get their basketball legs.

Let’s also remember Sykes coached through the COVID pandemic and all the uncertainly, confusion, restrictions and, yes, danger that were involved.

Do I need to wear a mask? Is it safe to play outside basketball? Will there be a football season in the fall?

State safety protocols and restrictions prevented full-fledged practices from taking place. A colored tier system was introduced by the Ohio Department of Health on COVID-19 transmission. N95 masks, infrared thermometers and hand sanitizer became must-have items for practices. Game postponements were commonplace.

Everyone on this year’s 17-7 squad who has seen significant playing time—Owens, Thomas, O’Bryant, Reese, Roane, Lindsay, Legron, and Reed—will be back next year. The football players will have to avoid injuries in the fall.

As always, Sykes will schedule tough non-conference opponents to get ready for post-season.

The Tygers have had a solid year. Sykes, now in his sixth season, is 78-60 going into Thursday night’s game against Sandusky.

As far as I’m concerned, the future is bright for the Tygers.

A Tyger football update.

Defensive end Elias "LaLa" Owens has tweeted he has received an offer from University of Minnesota, adding to offers he already has from Eastern Michigan and Bowling Green.

Mansfield Senior head basketball coach Marquis Sykes doesn’t need a lecture about the expectations for Tyger basketball.

Gawh, he helped establish them, leading some of Gregg Collins’ outstanding teams in the late 1990s, including the 1998-1999 team that went 22-4 and that lost in the state semi-finals to Cincinnati Moeller, 49-43.
No he does not. I'm sure he is also aware that the coach before him had a better record then he did after 5 season and that coach was fired.

This might get tiresome. The Pitt Panthers have come calling for the talents of Tyger football rush edge Elias Owens, his fourth Division I offer.
Kentucky and West Virginia are probably on deck. Owens could end up with 10,15, 20 offers.

Nothing to be tired about of when a kid is getting recognized for his abilities. But maybe his focus has changed and that is a reason for his declining minutes with the basketball team.