Not just in Ohio...

Two things struck me about this story. The first is that at our state meet at check-in they verified that both chips and the numbers on the hips all matched. So I don't think this would happen. The second thing is that one reason we had hip numbers was just in case there was a chip problem the cameras could be used. But on the whole it just seems like our sport's more arcane rules are putting it in a not so good light.

^^Agreed. The technology is there to make the meet run quicker, like with scoring the meet, but because there is a glitch with the technology, or with a runners use of the technology, the runner shouldn't be dq'ed. If there were no chips at this meet, these two runners wouldn't have been dq'ed in the first place. It was a simple mistake, that could have been resolved by looking at the camera, or even by looking at the results and making the correction.

Interesting story and another tough DQ. I also found it interesting that a 7th grader finished second in the state with a time of 18:08! That is extremely impressive. Does that mean she can run at the high school state meet in Florida a total of 6 times?

Yes, the girl could participate in the State meet up to 6 times. My brother coaches golf in Florida. The rule has something to do with, if the junior high and high school are on the same campus they can participate with the high school. Not sure on the exact wording or rule. Unfortunately, my brother's school is not on the same campus, so he has not had the pleasure, even though there are some good junior high golfers. I once heard about someone from West Virginia winning something like 6 or 8 State championships in the same sport.

In several states the rule is that if a junior high school doesn't offer the sport, kids can participate at the high school level. I think the Roesler (sp?) girl from North Dakota who is now at Oregon won titles while in junior high school.

Last edited:
7th and 8th grade students can compete on the high school team in Kentucky.

IIRC, isn't that why the likes of OJ Mayo and Bill Walker left North College Hill after their junior years? They had played HS ball as 8th graders in Kentucky and were thus ineligible to play in Ohio as seniors since they had already played 4 years of HS hoops.

7th and 8th grade students can compete on the high school team in Kentucky.

It doesn't begin there. Even elementary school kids can compete on high school varsity teams in Kentucky. In 1983 when I had an age group running club, I had ten year olds in elementary school running on my Bantam team (10 & Under) who had competed with Highlands high school during the school season. Two of the kids I remember were Charley Payne and Rob Carlisle.

Last edited:
It's not a DQ in XC but here's a video with an article about a high school state championship game in Massachusetts. The QB, while running to the end zone for the go-ahead TD, put his arm up in celebration. It seemed pretty innocuous to me but the ref didn't think so and called a taunting penalty at the point of the celebration. The end result was that the TD was nullified and the other team won the game.

I hate it when officials seem to think that the game or sport is about them rather than the kids and they try to make themselves the focal point.