Northwest Ohio Realignment

Only idiots fail to understand the importance of depth and its advantages over opponents without the same numbers. I have heard coaches say that they do not want "hang around" kids on the team. Those coaches usually fail. It is EASY to coach the good kids. It is tough to build a program and develop kids good programs are built around depth.

The ability to practice better, the ability for more and better reps at practice, internal competition, to be able to spell starters not only on O & D but also on special teams, the ability to backfill injuries, should I go on? If Maumee has a numbers advantage they will be successful.
You’re acting like the 45 kids at Eastwood aren’t enough to compete against the 75 at Maumee. I said it matters, but total numbers only go so far. All the schools would trade some losses to Maumee at the frosh level to beat them on Friday nights. Eastwood, and a good chunk of the NBC, will be fine against Maumee for the foreseeable future.

Only idiots fail to understand the importance of depth and its advantages over opponents without the same numbers. I have heard coaches say that they do not want "hang around" kids on the team. Those coaches usually fail. It is EASY to coach the good kids. It is tough to build a program and develop kids good programs are built around depth.

The ability to practice better, the ability for more and better reps at practice, internal competition, to be able to spell starters not only on O & D but also on special teams, the ability to backfill injuries, should I go on? If Maumee has a numbers advantage they will be successful.
AMEN!
Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

You’re acting like the 45 kids at Eastwood aren’t enough to compete against the 75 at Maumee. I said it matters, but total numbers only go so far. All the schools would trade some losses to Maumee at the frosh level to beat them on Friday nights. Eastwood, and a good chunk of the NBC, will be fine against Maumee for the foreseeable future.

Yeah. The 45 kids at Eastwood have been in their strength program since 5th grade and most of them have gotten varsity reps beginning in 10th grade when the running clocks start after halftime.

Every bit of this is true, and I have coached with some guys like that.

I have many stories of kids who just were not good enough, but eventually were good enough, or were needed and they stepped up, and they made plays that won games and championships for us.

Much more memorable than the few who were always part of the "best 11."

Every bit of this is true, and I have coached with some guys like that.

I have many stories of kids who just were not good enough, but eventually were good enough, or were needed and they stepped up, and they made plays that won games and championships for us.

Much more memorable than the few who were always part of the "best 11."
Nothing that I said noted to kick kids off the team for not being the best 11. I’m just saying you only need so many, if they don’t want to play there’s nothing that can be done. I’ll take the 45 that want to play.

Nothing that I said noted to kick kids off the team for not being the best 11. I’m just saying you only need so many, if they don’t want to play there’s nothing that can be done. I’ll take the 45 that want to play.
I never said anything about kicking kids off the team.

There is no limit on how many are needed.

I will coach as many who want to be coached. The more, the better.

Kick'em off, kick'em off, kick'em WAY off.

Only 11 on the field at a time (though I recall a coach who wasn't committed to that), one to carry the equipment and one to keep the coach from running onto the field screaming at the refs, though equipment kid should be able to do that too. In a pinch, mascot can play the roll of equipment kid/coach road bump.

Don't listen to the nay-sayers Vanlue!!!!

Damn who let Skip Bayless create an account? Eastwood has been big dog of the SLL/NBC since the early 2000s, heck I'd wager them and Genoa have won 50% of all boys sports championships since the NBC was created. For perspective, since 2002 Eastwood has won 11 league championships in football followed by Genoa with 7. Not counting the Covid year, Lake in 2015 & Otsego last year are the only other schools to win outside of the other two schools
I will take that bet! It is more like 40%. An indication of how disproportionate this league actually is. “Heck” I would wager that Eastwood and Genoa have also had 50% of all the transfers and open enrolled kids that have come to the NBC…

I will take that bet! It is more like 40%. An indication of how disproportionate this league actually is. “Heck” I would wager that Eastwood and Genoa have also had 50% of all the transfers and open enrolled kids that have come to the NBC…

My unofficial tally since 2011:

Eastwood (22)
Genoa (22)
Lake (13)
Rossford (11)
Otsego (11)
Woodmore (6)
Elmwood (5)
Fostoria (0)

Genoa is the only school that has won the league in every sport.

Eastwood has won in every sport but golf.

Otsego has never won in golf, wrestling, track or soccer.

Rossford has never won in football, wrestling, track or cross country.

My unofficial tally since 2011:

Eastwood (22)
Genoa (22)
Lake (13)
Rossford (11)
Otsego (11)
Woodmore (6)
Elmwood (5)
Fostoria (0)

Genoa is the only school that has won the league in every sport.

Eastwood has won in every sport but golf.

Otsego has never won in golf, wrestling, track or soccer.

Rossford has never won in football, wrestling, track or cross country.
Man what research! Officially 49% off all championships won by Eastwood & Genoa then

Both Eastwood and Otsego had varsity gameday rosters of roughly 40-45 kids last year if I am not mistaken. If Maumee's numbers are to improve they could walk into a Friday night game outmanning their opponent with 30 more kids, which matters immensely.
Which is why I feel maumee will eventually do well in the nbc. I am curious as to why the nbc switched from “maumee will never be let in” to maumee being let in. I was told that Kevin O’Shea, a maumee grad who is the superintendent of otsego, pushed hard for Maumee’s admittance.

Cout
Maumee has traditionally had around 20-24 freshman per year for over a decade with an outlier class of 26-30. The struggle has been keeping the classes above 15+ as they get older but this years team should be the first in a while that has accomplished that. Coutcher became head coach when the incoming seniors were freshman and I believe that is a big reason why more kids have stayed in the program. I think the other NLL schools have had similar freshman numbers outside of Perrysburg and AW with around 30-35 a year.
Coutcher is a great coach. The city of maumee recently gave him an award for his football coaching and program building.

coutcher and the boy’s basketball coach at maumee have really changed the culture. Kids want to play again and go out.

Which is why I feel maumee will eventually do well in the nbc. I am curious as to why the nbc switched from “maumee will never be let in” to maumee being let in. I was told that Kevin O’Shea, a maumee grad who is the superintendent of otsego, pushed hard for Maumee’s admittance.
Probably doesn't hurt that Mike Wiley, current Maumee SB member, was an administrator in Otsego for close to 3 decades

Kevin O'Shea is actually from Urbania, Ohio where he was able to win three high school championships, a collegiate title, an All-American title and not to mention a Heisman Trophy.
9B81568A-70D5-4F9E-AC0A-6E532C490F34.jpeg

So, I heard an interesing rumor yesterday, LB and Elmwood to the NBC and the creation of a 10 team NBC?? Anyone think this is plausible?

Also heard, LB to the NBC as Fostoria might leave???? Not sure where they would go though? SBC Bay? A smaller league?

Again these are from people inside some of these districts and what they have been hearing at work. (They are also friends from college so I trust them, but they said it was just what they had heard.)

Last edited:
Again these are from people inside some of these districts and what they have been hearing at work. (They are also friends from college so I trust them, but they said it was just what they had heard.)
Or these people are trying to start new rumors. But if they are true...would be interesting. I don't see Elmwood going back as they would definitely be the smallest school in the NBC once again.

Last edited:
So, I heard an interesing rumor yester day, LB and Elmwood to the NBC and the creation of a 10 team NBC?? Anyone think this is plausible?

Also heard, LB to the NBC as Fostoria might leave???? Not sure where they would go though? SBC Bay? A smaller league?

Hey, I heard that rumor yesterday as well! (From a coach with SBC ties): He talked with someone he knows at L-B and asked what their plan was, and he was told L-B is considering the NBC because apparently Fostoria is looking at the SBC Bay Division as an option. There is also a strong belief that the River Division is going to break off and that one of the Lake Division ADs has been advocating for a 10-team SBC for a while, much to the chagrin of two schools.

He didn't mention Elmwood, but if the Royals were mainly hoping to play with Liberty-Benton, I don't see why the two of them don't approach the NBC together, maybe even try to recruit a couple others and start big/less big divisions like the SBC has. Nothing against the BVC, I just have to believe Elmwood at this point would prefer that over switching into a league that's been losing a lot of members lately. Although, if the River Division becomes its own league, maybe some kind of merger with the BVC gets/is being discussed and Elmwood would consider that too.

Hey, I heard that rumor yesterday as well! (From a coach with SBC ties): He talked with someone he knows at L-B and asked what their plan was, and he was told L-B is considering the NBC because apparently Fostoria is looking at the SBC Bay Division as an option. There is also a strong belief that the River Division is going to break off and that one of the Lake Division ADs has been advocating for a 10-team SBC for a while, much to the chagrin of two schools.

He didn't mention Elmwood, but if the Royals were mainly hoping to play with Liberty-Benton, I don't see why the two of them don't approach the NBC together, maybe even try to recruit a couple others and start big/less big divisions like the SBC has. Nothing against the BVC, I just have to believe Elmwood at this point would prefer that over switching into a league that's been losing a lot of members lately. Although, if the River Division becomes its own league, maybe some kind of merger with the BVC gets/is being discussed and Elmwood would consider that too.
It would make sense that the SBC is going after a 6th team for either the Bay or Lake for football, just as a short term fix. 2 5-team divisions would be hard to maintain. Wouldn't be surprised to see a break off.

Wasn't he the shoe salesmen with a hot daughter who scored 4 touchdowns in the championship for Polk high?
This was another Ed O'Neill football role depicted above.

Al Bundy scored 4 touchdowns in 1 game, but I don't believe they specified that the 4 TDs were scored in the City Championship.

Incidentally, Ed O'Neill played HS football at Youngstown Ursuline in the early '60s. He originally went to Ohio U. and then transferred to Youngstown St. where he resumed his playing career and was eventually invited to the Steelers' training camp.