Northwest Ohio Realignment

SBClives

Honestly they don't really have enough kids for 8 man and enrollment is only going lower. Need to focus on golf and/or cross country in fall.
But what are the parents supposed to do on Friday nights during the football season as some of them were saying on Facebook before the season started.

dhsdog06

Problem is NWCC is courting Riverdale. Now can 6 survive with having to schedule 4 non-league games.

Wait for the SBC to fall apart and take a couple western River teams?

Some combo of Fostoria (if they got tired of the NBC), Lakota, Gibsonburg, or Hopewell-Loudon (again) could work.

BirdDog10

Replace with Lepisic, Columbus Grove, Ada, and Allen East or Patrick Henry
Leipsic just left the league because they saw the unstable future, Grove, Ada, Allen East, and Bluffton have all been invited several times through the years to the BVC and never gave it a second thought, and PH won't leave the NWOAL as long as they're competitive

Leipsic just left the league because they saw the unstable future, Grove, Ada, Allen East, and Bluffton have all been invited several times through the years to the BVC and never gave it a second thought, and PH won't leave the NWOAL as long as they're competitive
All of these statements in bold are incorrect.

How are they incorrect?
Those schools weren't invited several times. There are some schools on your list that absolutely gave it a second thought. And PH was (is?) in exploratory talks in regards to their conference affiliation.

dhsdog06

Those schools weren't invited several times. There are some schools on your list that absolutely gave it a second thought. And PH was (is?) in exploratory talks in regards to their conference afaffiliation.
PH was in exploratory talks because Swanton, Delta, and Evergreen were talking about leaving the NWOAL and Bryan and Wauseon were rumored to the 16 team NLL. At the least, rumors had the NWOAL adding Napoleon, maybe Defiance, and potentially a school as big as Bowling Green to replace the 3 that left, and the whole conference very well could have just died off. PH HAD to have talks to leave for their own survival. But it was nothing they ever seriously considered once the NWOAL stayed together. They're going nowhere as long as the current 8 team format there is in place.

StateChampion2012

PH was in exploratory talks because Swanton, Delta, and Evergreen were talking about leaving the NWOAL and Bryan and Wauseon were rumored to the 16 team NLL. At the least, rumors had the NWOAL adding Napoleon, maybe Defiance, and potentially a school as big as Bowling Green to replace the 3 that left, and the whole conference very well could have just died off. PH HAD to have talks to leave for their own survival. But it was nothing they ever seriously considered once the NWOAL stayed together. They're going nowhere as long as the current 8 team format there is in place.
You think those talks will start again after the season is over?

dhsdog06

You think those talks will start again after the season is over?

Honestly, no. I think the only school who ever truly considered any of it was Swanton, but the other 2 were willing to follow if they had to. The league they trying to form would have been tough to ever get off the ground since they really only had 5 all sports members and would have struggled getting the Williams County schools to commit to more than just football. Think they realized all they would have been doing is shedding the bigger schools and would have still needed the likes of LC and Archbold.

As for the rest: Wauseon and Bryan will never join schools their own size unless forced. Whether by being kicked out or the NWOAL dying, they're just happy being the big schools in a small league.

Napoleon and BG I think will give the new NLL a real shot, and BG was a longshot anyway due to the travel. I think both fit great in the small school division in the NLL.

Defiance made it pretty obvious that no one except the superintendent wants to leave the WBL.

So outside of MAYBE the NLL looking for a 12th (whether it's Lima Senior football or someone out of the NBC or SBC, then everyone backfilling from there), I think everything should stay pretty quiet up this way. At least until a few more small schools go 8 man and the TAAC falls apart.

NLLBEST

These new league moves aren’t fixing anything, they’re patching up problems with duct tape, short term quick fixes. I can’t wait for the next round of musical chairs in 2030

eastisbest

These new league moves aren’t fixing anything, they’re patching up problems with duct tape, short term quick fixes. I can’t wait for the next round of musical chairs in 2030
9 years isn't exactly a short time. You think someone can come up with a solution eternal that doesn't involve eliminating sports from schools?

We have highways now. We (apparently) need farms less. People are moving because they like to mow 4 acres, I'm sure that's the reason. If that causes changes, you don't recommend adjustment?

NLLBEST

9 years isn't exactly a short time. You think someone can come up with a solution eternal that doesn't involve eliminating sports from schools?

We have highways now. We (apparently) need farms less. People are moving because they like to mow 4 acres, I'm sure that's the reason. If that causes changes, you don't recommend adjustment?
i was being generous with 2030 but it took 10 years for this current shift with the NBC and TRAC and the NLL addition of Napoleon to blow up. I actually expect changes to come again sooner than that.

My issue isn’t making changes, my issue is that big changes need to be made that would require some hurt feelings and lost traditions but instead we are drawing it out. The NWOAL makes no sense and won’t get better, the NBC keeping Fostoria is delaying the inevitable. The small school conferences all over northwest Ohio are falling apart.

eastisbest

Article in The Blade stating that TRAC privates had a meeting with Detroit Catholic League on Monday and will meet with them again in November. Decision on new league by mid January.

🤷

I said this two seconds after discussion first hit the fan after the privates went looking out for themselves. Not news. Duh'local just catching up.

As for Lima Senior, I'm not convinced you will find city league athletes quite as tolerant of long bus rides as TRAC athletes. Anyone in admin with their head up their might see $$$ but I'm betting you're going to get pizzed off parents. As much as I like seeing Lima Sr finding a home and they're a great OOC, for TCL I think it's not going to be accepted enough to last and will result in further loss of athletes if tried.

TCL would lose an OOC, OOCs they need for the pay-out or close enough to bring a crowd. Does Lima do either?

Last edited:

Upside

Article in The Blade stating that TRAC privates had a meeting with Detroit Catholic League on Monday and will meet with them again in November. Decision on new league by mid January. Also, Lima Senior has been in talks with Toledo Public Schools about Toledo City Athletic League membership.
Lima Senior will be a loyal member of any league that will take them after enduring those trips to Cincy years ago. It would actually be a pretty good fit for Lima and the TCAL although Lima has shown in the past that if they can get the kids out their football program can be a bear. Basketball is always good and the other sports would be on par with the city teams.

jafo

🤷

I said this two seconds after discussion first hit the fan after the privates went looking out for themselves. Not news. Duh'local just catching up.

As for Lima Senior, I'm not convinced you will find city league athletes quite as tolerant of long bus rides as TRAC athletes. Anyone in admin with their head up their might see $$$ but I'm betting you're going to get pizzed off parents. As much as I like seeing Lima Sr finding a home and they're a great OOC, for TCL I think it's not going to be accepted enough to last and will result in further loss of athletes if tried.

TCL would lose an OOC, OOCs they need for the pay-out or close enough to bring a crowd. Does Lima do either?
The "news" was that they had a meeting YESTERDAY and will be having another one in November.
As for Lima Senior, I didn't write the article, I just noted what it said. Talks are a long way from a final decision but at least Lima Senior is trying.

buccaneers2002

Lima Senior would make an already tough basketball league, even tougher. I hope they can work out the travel logistics and get this thing done to the Toledo City League. Would make the league more competitive as a whole and I'd hate to see LS left out in the cold.

eastisbest

The "news" was that they had a meeting YESTERDAY and will be having another one in November.
As for Lima Senior, I didn't write the article, I just noted what it said. Talks are a long way from a final decision but at least Lima Senior is trying.
that's like saying it's news because someone went to the bathroom yesterday. No one was challenging you on Senior. Just giving a take based on what you reported to us.