Northwest Ohio Realignment

PH was in exploratory talks because Swanton, Delta, and Evergreen were talking about leaving the NWOAL and Bryan and Wauseon were rumored to the 16 team NLL. At the least, rumors had the NWOAL adding Napoleon, maybe Defiance, and potentially a school as big as Bowling Green to replace the 3 that left, and the whole conference very well could have just died off. PH HAD to have talks to leave for their own survival. But it was nothing they ever seriously considered once the NWOAL stayed together. They're going nowhere as long as the current 8 team format there is in place.
You think those talks will start again after the season is over?

You think those talks will start again after the season is over?

Honestly, no. I think the only school who ever truly considered any of it was Swanton, but the other 2 were willing to follow if they had to. The league they trying to form would have been tough to ever get off the ground since they really only had 5 all sports members and would have struggled getting the Williams County schools to commit to more than just football. Think they realized all they would have been doing is shedding the bigger schools and would have still needed the likes of LC and Archbold.

As for the rest: Wauseon and Bryan will never join schools their own size unless forced. Whether by being kicked out or the NWOAL dying, they're just happy being the big schools in a small league.

Napoleon and BG I think will give the new NLL a real shot, and BG was a longshot anyway due to the travel. I think both fit great in the small school division in the NLL.

Defiance made it pretty obvious that no one except the superintendent wants to leave the WBL.

So outside of MAYBE the NLL looking for a 12th (whether it's Lima Senior football or someone out of the NBC or SBC, then everyone backfilling from there), I think everything should stay pretty quiet up this way. At least until a few more small schools go 8 man and the TAAC falls apart.

These new league moves aren’t fixing anything, they’re patching up problems with duct tape, short term quick fixes. I can’t wait for the next round of musical chairs in 2030

These new league moves aren’t fixing anything, they’re patching up problems with duct tape, short term quick fixes. I can’t wait for the next round of musical chairs in 2030
9 years isn't exactly a short time. You think someone can come up with a solution eternal that doesn't involve eliminating sports from schools?

We have highways now. We (apparently) need farms less. People are moving because they like to mow 4 acres, I'm sure that's the reason. If that causes changes, you don't recommend adjustment?

9 years isn't exactly a short time. You think someone can come up with a solution eternal that doesn't involve eliminating sports from schools?

We have highways now. We (apparently) need farms less. People are moving because they like to mow 4 acres, I'm sure that's the reason. If that causes changes, you don't recommend adjustment?
i was being generous with 2030 but it took 10 years for this current shift with the NBC and TRAC and the NLL addition of Napoleon to blow up. I actually expect changes to come again sooner than that.

My issue isn’t making changes, my issue is that big changes need to be made that would require some hurt feelings and lost traditions but instead we are drawing it out. The NWOAL makes no sense and won’t get better, the NBC keeping Fostoria is delaying the inevitable. The small school conferences all over northwest Ohio are falling apart.

Article in The Blade stating that TRAC privates had a meeting with Detroit Catholic League on Monday and will meet with them again in November. Decision on new league by mid January.

?

I said this two seconds after discussion first hit the fan after the privates went looking out for themselves. Not news. Duh'local just catching up.

As for Lima Senior, I'm not convinced you will find city league athletes quite as tolerant of long bus rides as TRAC athletes. Anyone in admin with their head up their might see $$$ but I'm betting you're going to get pizzed off parents. As much as I like seeing Lima Sr finding a home and they're a great OOC, for TCL I think it's not going to be accepted enough to last and will result in further loss of athletes if tried.

TCL would lose an OOC, OOCs they need for the pay-out or close enough to bring a crowd. Does Lima do either?

Last edited:
Article in The Blade stating that TRAC privates had a meeting with Detroit Catholic League on Monday and will meet with them again in November. Decision on new league by mid January. Also, Lima Senior has been in talks with Toledo Public Schools about Toledo City Athletic League membership.
Lima Senior will be a loyal member of any league that will take them after enduring those trips to Cincy years ago. It would actually be a pretty good fit for Lima and the TCAL although Lima has shown in the past that if they can get the kids out their football program can be a bear. Basketball is always good and the other sports would be on par with the city teams.

?

I said this two seconds after discussion first hit the fan after the privates went looking out for themselves. Not news. Duh'local just catching up.

As for Lima Senior, I'm not convinced you will find city league athletes quite as tolerant of long bus rides as TRAC athletes. Anyone in admin with their head up their might see $$$ but I'm betting you're going to get pizzed off parents. As much as I like seeing Lima Sr finding a home and they're a great OOC, for TCL I think it's not going to be accepted enough to last and will result in further loss of athletes if tried.

TCL would lose an OOC, OOCs they need for the pay-out or close enough to bring a crowd. Does Lima do either?
The "news" was that they had a meeting YESTERDAY and will be having another one in November.
As for Lima Senior, I didn't write the article, I just noted what it said. Talks are a long way from a final decision but at least Lima Senior is trying.

Lima Senior would make an already tough basketball league, even tougher. I hope they can work out the travel logistics and get this thing done to the Toledo City League. Would make the league more competitive as a whole and I'd hate to see LS left out in the cold.

The "news" was that they had a meeting YESTERDAY and will be having another one in November.
As for Lima Senior, I didn't write the article, I just noted what it said. Talks are a long way from a final decision but at least Lima Senior is trying.
that's like saying it's news because someone went to the bathroom yesterday. No one was challenging you on Senior. Just giving a take based on what you reported to us.

Lima Senior would make an already tough basketball league, even tougher. I hope they can work out the travel logistics and get this thing done to the Toledo City League. Would make the league more competitive as a whole and I'd hate to see LS left out in the cold.

the catholic league could let them in. And more competitive with whom? Not the NLL, not the catholic league. Columbus or Cleveland city league? In football it will take L1's away from teams. Not likely to gather any new L2s unless Senior starts scheduling non-Catholic D4s. Even at 16 games, they would knock every city league team excepting maybe Start out of play-offs.

Honestly, no. I think the only school who ever truly considered any of it was Swanton, but the other 2 were willing to follow if they had to. The league they trying to form would have been tough to ever get off the ground since they really only had 5 all sports members and would have struggled getting the Williams County schools to commit to more than just football. Think they realized all they would have been doing is shedding the bigger schools and would have still needed the likes of LC and Archbold.

As for the rest: Wauseon and Bryan will never join schools their own size unless forced. Whether by being kicked out or the NWOAL dying, they're just happy being the big schools in a small league.

Napoleon and BG I think will give the new NLL a real shot, and BG was a longshot anyway due to the travel. I think both fit great in the small school division in the NLL.

Defiance made it pretty obvious that no one except the superintendent wants to leave the WBL.

So outside of MAYBE the NLL looking for a 12th (whether it's Lima Senior football or someone out of the NBC or SBC, then everyone backfilling from there), I think everything should stay pretty quiet up this way. At least until a few more small schools go 8 man and the TAAC falls apart.
Important thing though, there currently is no small school division. From what I've been told they're going to try and get either BG or Napoleon to leave, and go with the same format as the SBC. 5/5 with two crossovers. It's just the only way to be fair since someone has to matchup against Whitmer/Findlay/AW/Perrysburg.

Just make an arrangement for football or something…trying to drag club sports into the mix is crazy.

Just make an arrangement for football or something…trying to drag club sports into the mix is crazy.
Football and basketball is all that's really needed. Does it suck for the kids in the other sports that they won't be all-conference in their sport? Yeah. But to help fill out a football and basketball schedule is all you need a conference for.

Football and basketball is all that's really needed. Does it suck for the kids in the other sports that they won't be all-conference in their sport? Yeah. But to help fill out a football and basketball schedule is all you need a conference for.
Let's be honest, Lima Sr club sports don't set the world on fire. Last I can tell they've finished last in the all sports trophy in boys and girls every year in the TRAC and it's not been close. Boys basketball has been about the only thing even remotely close to competitive. Of course that would probably change in the City League.

Lima would be a good fit with the TCL in all sports, especially on the girls side. As football, they would likely finish first or second every year.

As for the TCL, Ive always wondered why they dont form an alliance or partnership or some kind with the Cleveland city league (Senate league? I dont remember) or the Akron City series. About the.same quality of football.

This is what I had heard RE: the NLL's 12th team in football as well. I guess if Lima can't figure it out, they'll happily schedule any NLL team that has a "BYE" week in the 5 team division, or simply join as the 12th football member only. NLL has been clear that they don't want trips to Lima for all of their sports, but would be OK with Lima as a stop-gap in Football if they cannot draw out Columbian or Defiance.

I actually think Lima Senior would do well NOT being in a basketball league. They can play a more state level schedule and really get themselves ready for the tournament. All they truly need a home in is football....and the NLL would likely welcome them as the 12th football member until/if Tiffin comes. Defiance is out.

This is what I had heard RE: the NLL's 12th team in football as well. I guess if Lima can't figure it out, they'll happily schedule any NLL team that has a "BYE" week in the 5 team division, or simply join as the 12th football member only. NLL has been clear that they don't want trips to Lima for all of their sports, but would be OK with Lima as a stop-gap in Football if they cannot draw out Columbian or Defiance.
The NLL had a tentative deal with Lima for football only several weeks ago. Two divisions of six.

It could be that Lima has had a better offer from the Toledo City League. I do not know about that.

Lima Sr. has 22 varsity sports. Why are club sports any part of the discussion?

Defiance made it clear they are not coming. Months ago somebody posted that it would be Columbian, but that has been contradicted by everything that is coming out of the NLL and SBC.

Last edited:
I've been saying this on here for as many times as I can. As a Lima native and Senior High alum, the WBL will NEVER allow Lima Senior to compete for WBL titles / join the league. NEVER.

IF it were to happen, I will be going to church on Sunday AND Wednesday nights because the end is most definitely near.
WBL declined them before they bolted for the TRAC

2 big reasons: there wasn't and still isn't an opening, and the WBL has no interest in going beyond 10.

Of course there are likely more reasons than that, considering I and many believe even if there WAS an opening they'd pass on Senior. But Senior approaching was them with nowhere to go at the time desperate.

And will continue to decline for years to come. Ironically outside of football, Lima already has been playing multiple WBL teams in every sport for years now. IIRC a couple years ago Lima Senior played all but two WBL schools in boys basketball one season.

"bolted" might be a bit strong. Lima went from GMC to Indy to GBC, and then was given a life preserver by the new TRAC. Now they'll be looking to go indy again or hopefully get another life preserver from some league.

And will continue to decline for years to come. Ironically outside of football, Lima already has been playing multiple WBL teams in every sport for years now. IIRC a couple years ago Lima Senior played all but two WBL schools in boys basketball one season.

"bolted" might be a bit strong. Lima went from GMC to Indy to GBC, and then was given a life preserver by the new TRAC. Now they'll be looking to go indy again or hopefully get another life preserver from some league.
Here’s an outside the box idea. Lima Sr. is looking for a conference, Trotwood Madison is looking for a conference, Middletown (one of Lima Sr.’s biggest rivals over the years) is struggling in the GMC, Marion Harding is a large school in a conference with smaller schools. Maybe these schools consider hooking up (maybe throw Springfield in there if they are inclined to leave the GWOC), and you have similar sized schools in a nice league setup. Travel may be a bit, but Lima will have to travel no matter where they go.

Why would Middletown willingly send their girls soccer team (as an example) all the way to Marion or Lima on a Tuesday night when the league they're already in is close to home?

Lima and Trotwood hooking up in some way makes a lot of sense and should happen, even if it's as independents playing each other. But I'll never understand these half baked ideas that consider nothing but football.

Why would Middletown willingly send their girls soccer team (as an example) all the way to Marion or Lima on a Tuesday night when the league they're already in is close to home?

Lima and Trotwood hooking up in some way makes a lot of sense and should happen, even if it's as independents playing each other. But I'll never understand these half baked ideas that consider nothing but football.
Look at the GMC all sports standings on their league website. Middletown is near the bottom on a yearly basis. The point is they struggle to compete in the GMC these days. The schools I named most of the time aren’t tearing it up in their non-revenue sports. Putting them together could make their non revenue sports competitive. The only reason I mentioned Middletown is because they have significant athletic history with Lima. If a league with a large geographic footprint existed, travel and weeknight events would need to be taken into consideration. Again, an outside the box idea.