Northwest Ohio Realignment

I don't think the Detroit private schools have those trips on their schedule. Not that I recall. Toledo is not a trade-off with out of the Metro private schools for them. Would they trade-off closer games against Stevenson and other outer belt publics to fill Toledo's needs? Don't know.

I know UDJ has played EGR a few times in the past few years, and DCC and DLSC have both played Musky in the last half decade during the regular season, and Brother Rice goes all over the place, but they absolutely have enough Metro Detroit teams to fill which would be far easier. Theyre just the closest who would likely have the ability and/or desire to do so given their larger non-conference slates.

DCC has a now long-standing series with Whitmer (7 years I think, and it doesn't appear either is running to end it), so they are open to doing in, and MLK has played TCC in the past. UDJ may see an interesting connection with SJJ, and DLSC and SFS are both Franciscan, so it's not COMPLETELY out of the ordinary...but you're right about it still not being a sure thing.

The NLL would like to expand to two 8 team divisions, big school and small school. I'm only concentrating on the big school division as I think the small school division will take care of itself, or it won't. The NLL wants "like schools" with geography a consideration.

The original lineup had Whitmer, Clay, Ross, Findlay, Northview, Perrysburg, Springfield and Anthony Wayne. Much whining was heard about the long trips to Ross and Findlay.

Another version had Whitmer, Clay, SJJ/ND, SFS/SU, Northview, Perrysburg, Springfield and Anthony Wayne. Much whining was heard about private schools although the geography was great.

The NLL could also just add Whitmer and Clay to Northview, Perrysburg, Springfield, Anthony Wayne, Southview and Bowling Green. They could keep Napoleon and Maumee in the small division and add 6 other small schools. The big school geography would be good and no private schools. Let the whining begin.

I didn't consider out of state schools as I don't think they give a damn about the NLL.

Pretty sure you aren’t going to get Bowling Green on board with playing Whitmer and Whitmer shouldn’t want that matchup either.

The NLL would like to expand to two 8 team divisions, big school and small school. I'm only concentrating on the big school division as I think the small school division will take care of itself, or it won't. The NLL wants "like schools" with geography a consideration.

The original lineup had Whitmer, Clay, Ross, Findlay, Northview, Perrysburg, Springfield and Anthony Wayne. Much whining was heard about the long trips to Ross and Findlay.

Another version had Whitmer, Clay, SJJ/ND, SFS/SU, Northview, Perrysburg, Springfield and Anthony Wayne. Much whining was heard about private schools although the geography was great.
None of the schools you list want to leave the NLL. Why would they agree to any of that?

The NLL could also just add Whitmer and Clay to Northview, Perrysburg, Springfield, Anthony Wayne, Southview and Bowling Green.
Why would Southview and BG agree to be in a league where everybody is bigger than they are, especially Whitmer, a school more than twice their size?

They could keep Napoleon and Maumee in the small division and add 6 other small schools.
Who? Who are the six schools about the size of Maumee & Napoleon that want to join a new league?

Last edited:
Who? Who are the six schools about the size of Maumee & Napoleon that want to join a new league?

Not sure about "want", but this is what I posted a few days ago.

The ideal mix for the NLL assuming all 8 current schools are staying and student population, driving distance and competition matters. Maumee and Napoleon move to the small school division.

Add the following;

Big School
Clay
Whitmer

Small School
Defiance
Wauseon
Rossford
Lake
Eastwood
Archbold

Why would Southview and BG agree to be in a league where everybody is bigger than they are, especially Whitmer, a school more than twice their size?

I agree with this but it should be noted that if no changes happen to the NLL SV and BG will be in league with a team the size of Whitmer. It will only be a few more years and Perrysburg will be the biggest school in NWO.

Pretty sure you aren’t going to get Bowling Green on board with playing Whitmer and Whitmer shouldn’t want that matchup either.
Kinda my point. If BG has to be in the small division they are going to need a large school from Ross, Findlay or a private. If BG and Southview need to be in the small division they`re going to need 2 from that group.

I think I've asked this before and I'll ask it again.

In an era of decreasing population, enrollmemt, and privates being hit the hardest, how does it make sense for Tiffin, Fremont, Norwalk, AND Sandusky to all have a Catholic high school?

You could consolidate that into 1 or 2 and probably be fine. Firelands Catholic or something like that.
Not really practical. Are they going to build news schools in the middle of cornfield in between towns? That is a huge capital cost and lose all school/town/Parrish identity. Other option is combine in on of the existing schools which is just basically closing a school. The days are probably numbered for a couple more of them.

I agree with this but it should be noted that if no changes happen to the NLL SV and BG will be in league with a team the size of Whitmer. It will only be a few more years and Perrysburg will be the biggest school in NWO.
Even more of a reason not to join with Whitmer then.

If realignment or expansion happens BG & SS will want to be in the small division with Maumee & Napoleon.

The NLL and four TRAC schools want to merge and add four more. Who are the four looking for something different?

Clearly the NLL doesn't know either.

OK, but Rossford, Eastwood, and Lake are not going to abandon Genoa & Otsego (Fostoria, maybe) or join a league with BG & Southview.

Answer me this riddle...if Eastwood doesn't want to play teams like Maumee or BG, then why do they play Maumee and BG EVERY YEAR?

Truthfully, I think the ONLY problem is who the 4th team is in the small division. Eastwood, Lake, and Rossford could move on tomorrow and I wouldn't be surprised. Is the 4th team Oak Harbor? Is it Genoa? Otsego? Defiance?
Or are the three Defiance, Bryan, and Wauseon? Then are you looking at the NWOAL falling to pieces?

I think the most likely outcome is some combination of Defiance, Bryan, Wauseon, Lake, Rossford, Genoa, Eastwood, Otsego, or Oak Harbor.

OH has avoiding the discussion, but I'm sure reducing their travel would be a reason in and of itself to leave the SBC, especially with them losing all of that sweet Davis-Besse tax revenue.

Still not sure how the NBC schools are getting thrown into the small(er) school group. That’s not happening.

If the NBC loses 2 schools (which is all but certain with Elmwood going to the BVC and Woodmore likely to jump as well), why is it an absolutely certainty that the rest wouldn't toss away a conference that only has 9 years of history and join a conference that they've all been a part of in the past (and were founding members of in the instance of Lake, Rossford, Genoa, and Eastwood)? A 6 team conference is damn near impossible to manage, ask our friends from Findlay, Napoleon, or Fremont about that.

Last edited:
Truthfully, I think the ONLY problem is who the 4th team is in the small division. Eastwood, Lake, and Rossford could move on tomorrow and I wouldn't be surprised. Is the 4th team Oak Harbor? Is it Genoa? Otsego? Defiance?
Or are the three Defiance, Bryan, and Wauseon? Then are you looking at the NWOAL falling to pieces?

I think the most likely outcome is some combination of Defiance, Bryan, Wauseon, Lake, Rossford, Genoa, Eastwood, Otsego, or Oak Harbor.

OH has avoiding the discussion, but I'm sure reducing their travel would be a reason in and of itself to leave the SBC, especially with them losing all of that sweet Davis-Besse tax revenue.
Otsego will not be joing the NLL. That does not even make sense for them.

Geographically yes school-size wise no.

View attachment 13580
And the girls have 14 more girls than the largest current WBL school. It isn't 1991 anymore. This idea that Lima Senior is so much larger than WBL schools is outdated. And realistically, the only sports Lima Senior would be competitive in the WBL would be boys basketball, girls basketball, and track and field. That's it. That's the list.

Attachments

• senior.png
    senior.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 21
BG 0-4 vs Eastwood in the games I found on Max Preps.

View attachment 13596

So why wouldn't they want to be in a conference with them? I guess that's my overarching point...those teams (Eastwood, Genoa, Lake, and Rossford) would absolutely be competitive, and likely would win their fair share of conference titles in a conference with Napoleon, Maumee, BG, and Southview, because they've already been beating them in multiple sports.

Sure, Southview may be a problem, but they would likely change up if enrollment balances within Sylvania (the goal of their middle school re-districting). Should that happen, Ross would move down, and that would still mesh with the group AND would probably shorten travel times. I guess I just don't see the argument of them not wanting to be in it...

Otsego will not be joing the NLL. That does not even make sense for them.
OK Mr. Whizzer,

If Elmwood and Woodmore leave the NBC will likely do something to replace them.

I think Gibsonburg and Lakota are happy for now where they are. I think Oak Harbor is too, but that's more of a guess than anything.

Personally I would like the NBC to add Maumee and Napoleon, but that's a big upgrade and fundamentally changes the league.

How about raiding the TAAC? Rumor is Northwood wants in. They are a little smaller than Elmwood and I'm sure most would prefer them over Napoleon for a couple of reasons. How about Ottawa Hills? They're a little smaller than Woodmore, but the TAAC is kind of a disaster already and if Northwood leaves maybe Ottawa Hills will see the need to abandon ship.

Replace two small schools looking for a better situation with two slightly smaller schools looking for a better situation. I like it, and it might do the good folks of Ottawa Hills some good to see what corn fields look like.

So why wouldn't they want to be in a conference with them? I guess that's my overarching point...those teams (Eastwood, Genoa, Lake, and Rossford) would absolutely be competitive, and likely would win their fair share of conference titles in a conference with Napoleon, Maumee, BG, and Southview, because they've already been beating them in multiple sports.
For the same reason Maumee and Napoleon aren't happy being in a league with Perrysburg and Anthony Wayne.

And I still don't get why you keep forgetting Otsego. It's between BG AW, and Maumee, not out in Williams County.

I'm
For the same reason Maumee and Napoleon aren't happy being in a league with Perrysburg and Anthony Wayne.

And I still don't get why you keep forgetting Otsego. It's between BG AW, and Maumee, not out in Williams County.

I'm not forgetting about them...there is just someone in here who is wholly adamant that they're not doing it, so I'm playing along with his narrative (even though I think they'd be a fine add).

The difference between AW/Perrysburg in the current NLL and Maumee/BG and the schools I'm talking about is not similar. AW/Perrysburg are growing schools that are already 1000 students larger than Maumee and 900 students larger than BG. Maumee and BG are pretty set in their numbers, and would be 200-400 students larger than any team in that small division conference. That's a night and day difference, and while there is potential there for some growth, it isn't EVER going to get to the point that AW/Perrysburg is to everyone else in the NLL.

If the NBC loses 2 schools (which is all but certain with Elmwood going to the BVC and Woodmore likely to jump as well), why is it an absolutely certainty that the rest would toss away a conference that only has 9 years of history and join a conference that they've all be a part of in the past (and were founding members of in the instance of Lake, Rossford, Genoa, and Eastwood)? A 6 team conference is damn near impossible to manage, as our friends from Findlay, Napoleon, or Fremont about that.
Ok...people say that maumee is “to big” for the NBC. If woodmore and Elmwood leave and oak harbor stays on the sbc, would the nbc go with 6 teams? Maybe have a scheduling deal with the lake division of the sbc? What other candidates would the Nbc have? Liberty center?

OK Mr. Whizzer,

If Elmwood and Woodmore leave the NBC will likely do something to replace them.

I think Gibsonburg and Lakota are happy for now where they are. I think Oak Harbor is too, but that's more of a guess than anything.

Personally I would like the NBC to add Maumee and Napoleon, but that's a big upgrade and fundamentally changes the league.

How about raiding the TAAC? Rumor is Northwood wants in. They are a little smaller than Elmwood and I'm sure most would prefer them over Napoleon for a couple of reasons. How about Ottawa Hills? They're a little smaller than Woodmore, but the TAAC is kind of a disaster already and if Northwood leaves maybe Ottawa Hills will see the need to abandon ship.

Replace two small schools looking for a better situation with two slightly smaller schools looking for a better situation. I like it, and it might do the good folks of Ottawa Hills some good to see what corn fields look like.
If maumee and Napoleon went to the nbc and Whitmer and clay went to the nll, this whole thing would be over. Fremont and Findlay are out of the leagues footprint. Sorry guys

Ok...people say that maumee is “to big” for the NBC. If woodmore and Elmwood leave and oak harbor stays on the sbc, would the nbc go with 6 teams? Maybe have a scheduling deal with the lake division of the sbc? What other candidates would the Nbc have? Liberty center?

Yeah, I mean. Liberty Center and Patrick Henry would probably be it.

Thats the reason why I think all of these people saying Eastwood/Lake/Genoa/Otsego/Rossford wouldn't leave the conference aren't really looking at the whole picture. A 6 team conference rarely, if ever, works, and none of those small count conference are in rural areas. Needing to schedule 5 OOC games with two in non-traditional slots will absolutely cost more money and likely cause more headaches. Same with only having 10 conference basketball games and more OOC games in all of the minor sports. It just doesn't work for schools that don't have money flowing from every orifice.

E

Exactly...the NBC schools would easily be competitive in just about every sport with the BG/Napoleon/Maumee group...no idea why people don't believe this.
I read on here that maumee is “too big” and “discouraged athletes” at maumee would start coming out for sports and maumee, being “too big” would “dominate.” :)