Northwest Conference 2021

rjewards

Welcome to the Northwest Conference Leipsic Vikings.
Nfl Watching GIF by Viktor the Viking

who will star or lead each team??
Grove will rely heavily on Colin Metzger at running back. Defense will be led by Mitch Douglas on the D-Line and junior duo of AJ Schafer and Tad Koch at linebacker, both will be 3 year starters as juniors.

Not sure what Leipsic has as they didn't play Grove last year, but they are always big, fast, and physical.

Allen East is losing a lot of talent but seemed like they had a lot of good sophomores and juniors last year, especially on their defense.

Not sure what Spencerville lost last year, but they will have the Grigsby kid still at running back who should be a workhorse for them.

Crestview is a huge question mark, they lost a very good duo of running backs last year, plus their head coach and D-Coordinator.

Bluffton will have Schaadt back at QB, if they can protect him and have 1-2 weapons to help him, he can be dangerous. He started to look pretty good at the end of last season.

Jefferson is bringing back the core of their offense, hopefully they can start to build up around that this year.

Not sure what Ada will look like this year but I've heard good things about their coach getting kids back out for football.

We're now 86 days from HS Football. I'm bored and want to talk about football! By the start of this season Ada, Allen East, Delphos Jefferson, and Spencerville will have turf fields. All things considered, (field surface, bleachers, concessions, restrooms, locker rooms for those that played, etc.) how would you rank the football stadiums in the NWC?

Best field to fence watch: Bluffton, you are very close to the action on the visitor side and i like to watch from the fence
Best field surface: right now would say Spencerville and them over AE only because I am not fond of the lighting at AE. Once Delphos & Ada also get turf, who knows
Best Concessions: I know they are not in the conference anymore, but I have to give Paulding kudos on their concessions. Smelling those grills on the visitors side always made me go get something whether I was hungry or not
Best Bleachers: Delphos because their visitor bleachers are really nice and no bad sight lines. I Like Ada & Bluffton's home sides just due to the history in them)

I cant really rank them 1 thru 8 since I think each stadium has its good and bad aspects. I can say and no offense, that I dislike Crestview's the most because scoreboard is impossible to view from visitors side and who has their press box on the 30 yd line, that has always bugged me lol
Do not know much about Leipsic's field. Was there only one time when my I watched a midget game maybe 15 years ago

Side note: Leipsic will have the honors of being the 1st team to play on Ada's new field when this football season opens up. Ada hosts Leipsic the 4th game of the season for their 1st home game to open the new field and visitors bleachers.

Anyone hear anything from 7 on 7’s so far? Not sure how many teams have had any so far but they’re staring to heat up in the next week or so. Grove got rained out vs. McComb the other night and will be at Elida with some other area teams next week

It will be interesting to see what the attendance will be for Crestview's opening game vs Parkway with Wren Days Wiffleball starting that night. Might take the step kids to watch their team (Crestview students) against Hicksville. Not sure I have any family still attending Parkway anymore. Distant cousins I believe are graduating and my cousin is moving back to Indiana and their kids are transferring to Bellmont from Parkway.

Have they even beat Wayne Trace in the last decade?

They'll compete with Antwerp and Ayersville, but I'm not sure they win any other game.
Fair point (although I think the last time I saw, it was 5 of the last 6 matchups decided by a TD or less). I guess I didn’t word that well. It’s more of a raise-the-floor mindset. Paulding is a much more competitive program than Holgate and after Tinora, it’s basically unknowns across the board with what all the other schools lost so 2-8 is basically draw names out of a hat IMO

can they win the gmc???
Over the last 10 years I can't see how the GMC would have faired them any better than the NWC. They would have had just as hard of a time getting wins against Tinora, Edgerton, Fairview, Hicksville, and Wayne Trace as they did against any of the best teams in the NWC. Every one of those schools has played for at least one regional title since 2011, with Hicksville, Wayne Trace, and Tinora all making trips to the state semi's and having some close battles with eventual state champions from the MAC in the playoffs. Some of those teams have dropped off, but that's only very recently, and small school programs come and go in cycles.

If their current HC stays long term, the excitement of playing in a new league could be the start they need to build a successful program. Coaching turnover was one of, if not their biggest issue over the last 10-15 years in the NWC.

Over the last 10 years I can't see how the GMC would have faired them any better than the NWC. They would have had just as hard of a time getting wins against Tinora, Edgerton, Fairview, Hicksville, and Wayne Trace as they did against any of the best teams in the NWC. Every one of those schools has played for at least one regional title since 2011, with Hicksville, Wayne Trace, and Tinora all making trips to the state semi's and having some close battles with eventual state champions from the MAC in the playoffs. Some of those teams have dropped off, but that's only very recently, and small school programs come and go in cycles.

If their current HC stays long term, the excitement of playing in a new league could be the start they need to build a successful program. Coaching turnover was one of, if not their biggest issue over the last 10-15 years in the NWC.
Agree whole heartedly. Paulding has played Wayne Trace every year for quite a few years and Wayne Trace has won the last 10 with most by a large margin. Last win by Paulding in this neighbor rivalry was in 2010 when WT had a 5-5 record for the season. There were a few seasons in the WT win streak that WT was 5-5 or worse. Not slamming Paulding at all, but a school that size in the NWC should have dominated most years but they could never get any continuity with coaches to sustain any progress they would make

Havn't posted any progress pics since it started being installed of the new turf in Ada. The new turf field installation is going great. The center piece (Bulldog Head) and the end zone pieces are to be delivered this week with installation early next
DOGS.JPG

Adog....looks nice.

I don't see any Soccer lines. They going to keep them away?
No Soccer layout will be done this week. They actually lay the turf (with yard numbers intact) then came back and stitched in the center Bulldog and endzone lettering. Doing the same with soccer lines. Wil see if I can find a picture with soccer layout

Here are a few more pictures showing the center soccer line, the end zone and full field. You can see the penalty box and the outer boundaries in the one and the center circle in another Note in the penalty box pic, you can see they were still working on the semi circle
The field I was told, should be completely done by end of this coming week.
Dog.JPG
endzone.JPG
Memorial Stadium.jpg

Like it Adog? At first I was like yes I would like see field turf in Grove, but the heat in the hot part of the season can be brutal to the players with Field Turf. Just reflects the heat back to the players. Better in Rain obviously, and plays fast. Upfront cost, with just rubber replacement a little each year, vs. mowing, painting, resodding. What's your thoughts Adog?

Clockkiller, yes I like it. I think it is over due truthfully. I wish the turf was in during the wide open offense of Micah Fell. I agree about the heat in early season games That is a real concern as I know it can be hotter than H the 1st couple games. I dont know how maintenance costs between grass and turf will shake out but do know it will save a tremendous amount of time in game prep, no more watering, fertilizer etc I guess the equipment that redistributes the rubber pallets came with the cost of the field so should not have any extra equipment costs either. Large investment but with soccer and football utilizing it, a good investment in the community.
Along with the new field, the visitors to games should be very happy as the visitors bleachers were replaced this summer as well. And anyone who has sat o the visitor side, knows those bleachers were not the best, actually pretty bad