NFL Offseason - 2012

recently

Cooling Off
I know there is technically a week left in the season, but I figure we can discuss all major happenings in this thread, so long as it doesn't pertain to Cincinnati or Cleveland, because both teams have threads for that.

First thing's first: Nike out-bid Reebok and will now make uniforms for each team. That is old news, of course. They are in the current process of unveiling certain uniform elements one piece at a time, starting with the gloves that players will wear in tonight's Pro Bowl. Link below:

http://www.solecollector.com/niketraining/?p=6831

Personally, I hate Nike and it'll be interesting to see what abortions they can come up with for the NFL teams. The only saving grace is that team owners get to approve/disapprove uniform designs and I can't see older men wanting their teams to take the field every Sunday looking like Oregon.

So, we'll use this thread for all on-field and off-field NFL-related news during the 2012 offseason.

Gloves and shoes and like that, I really don't care about. The only thing that would bother me is if they try to Oregon up the NFL.

I just want to know who at reebok decided that all official NFL sweatshirts need to be cut extra long. I'll be happy if Nike doesn't do that.

I just like the basic look of NFL uniforms. Nike always tries to be 'ahead and creatively superior' than everyone else, and I think it results in ugly uniforms and apparel.

I think they are all capable of making nice uniforms that don't go entirely over the top, but they always seem intent on trying to make something 'new.' I just can't see the Rooney family or Robert Kraft or any other old owner being okay with his team dressed like clowns, and I can't see a big lumbering guy like Eli Manning looking anything short of dumb in a flashy Oregon-style uni.

The Patriots' current uniforms are pretty bad. If they make a change, they should go to their throwbacks.

I like their uniforms right now, but their red uniforms with white pants are awesome. I think they wore those in the '80s. Steve Grogan, ftw.

Glad to see others hate Nike as much as me. I never really used to care until they started making the Pro-Combat uniforms. Almost every one of those things are so damn gaudy that I can't believe anyone thinks they look cool. I also hate how it's become acceptable to change uniform designs every two years, mainly because of what Nike has done. They make uniforms so bright and flashy that people get tired of them after a year and then Nike designs yet another ugly design. It's terrible. Hopefully the NFL will make some kind of rule or something against ugly uniforms.

I miss the days when Starter and Puma were the main outfitters of the NFL. Still have an old Puma Chris Carter Vikings jersey

I'm pretty sure the NFL has a pretty rigid set of standards, down to even the shades and tones of colors that are applicable.

I've never been a fan of the new ones. They look so AFLish. I wasn't really a fan of the Culpepper-Moss era uniforms either.

Yeah, plus they look blue on TV. The shade of purple they used is terrible. I have a white Adrian Peterson jersey and I think it's pretty cool. The best part about their current throwbacks are the lighter purple color and the gray facemasks

Personally, I hate Nike and it'll be interesting to see what abortions they can come up with for the NFL teams. The only saving grace is that team owners get to approve/disapprove uniform designs and I can't see older men wanting their teams to take the field every Sunday looking like Oregon.

Man, I hate Nike too and it would suck if the NFL fielded 32 teams that look like Oregon.

Apparently there are a bunch of yinzers in Pittsburgh who want Rooney to trade Big Ben and Rashard Mendenhall to Indy for Andrew Luck. IMO no way Pittsburgh tries that, and if they do, no way Indy accepts that.

Apparently there are a bunch of yinzers in Pittsburgh who want Rooney to trade Big Ben and Rashard Mendenhall to Indy for Andrew Luck. IMO no way Pittsburgh tries that, and if they do, no way Indy accepts that.

If Indy throws in a few banjos, a case of Arn' City, a doublewide and some rope to floss with and they got a deal! :thumb:

Last edited:
Yeah, Indy definitely wants no part of another mediocre RB. I almost think they could use a good RB as much as a good QB. If I was Jim Irsay I'd think about keeping Manning, trading down and drafting Trent Richardson, then hope to get Barkley next year. But that's obliviously not going to happen. It seems like they've been dead last in rushing every year since Edgerrin James left

Is he retiring because he doesn't want to play for another team, or just doesn't want to play at all anymore?