3. Cleveland St. Ignatius (3), 90
4. Cincinnati Moeller, 81
5. Findlay, 63
6. Toledo Whitmer, 57
7. Cincinnati Elder, 45
8. Centerville (2), 39
9. Delaware Hayes, 38
10. Cincinnati Sycamore, 34
Others receiving 12 or more points: Louisville 25. Brecksville-Broadview Heights 13. Sandusky 12.

Division II:
1. Rocky River Lutheran West (8), 120
2. Cincinnati Wyoming (2), 103
3. Lexington (2), 94
4. Columbus Hartley, 91
5. Kettering Alter (1), 78
6. Youngstown Ursuline, 43
7. Cuyahoga Falls CVCA, 42
8. Shelby, 34
9. Creston Norwayne, 31
10. Willard, 27
Others receiving 12 or more points: Marietta 18.

Division III:
1. Cleveland Heights Lutheran East (7), 114
2. Ottawa-Glandorf (4), 111
3. Malvern, 88
4. Ashland Crestview, 54
5. Castalia Margaretta, 50
6t. Toledo Emmanuel Christian, 46
6t. Camden Preble Shawnee, 46
8. New Madison Tri-Village (2), 39
9. Minford, 28
10. Haviland Wayne Trace, 22
Others receiving 12 or more points: Bluffton 19. Williamsburg 18. Archbold 15. Cincinnati Mariemont 14.

Division IV:
1. Russia (10), 124
2t. Toledo Christian, 80
2t. Lima Central Catholic, 80
4. Woodsfield Monroe Central, 66
5t. Warren JFK, 64
5t. Richmond Heights (3), 64
7. Leesburg Fairfield, 60
8. Berlin Hiland, 34
9. South Webster, 26
10. Troy Christian, 24
Others receiving 12 or more points: Delphos St. John's 19. Toledo Maumee Valley Country Day 17. Antwerp 15.

It's crazy to me that people put any stock into a "statewide poll" that's voted on by 13 people lol. The AP poll used to have 50+. A couple of the guys in the poll post who they voted for. These two guys are longtime sports guys and most of their vote is pretty good, but even with them there are some definite head-scratchers lol

If you’re voting anyone other than Richmond Heights number 1 in d4 you shouldn’t be voting
I respect that opinion, and if talent was the criteria I would absolutely agree, but I think the Russia in early season play would have given them everything they would have been able to handle, and perhaps a little more. Come tourney time, if they play as a team they will win it all, if not, Russia would be a team that could upset them. In that respect, I have zero problem with Russia getting first place votes, they have palayed above their competition at a greater rate of success than Richmond Heights has vs their competition.

I respect that opinion, and if talent was the criteria I would absolutely agree, but I think the Russia in early season play would have given them everything they would have been able to handle, and perhaps a little more. Come tourney time, if they play as a team they will win it all, if not, Russia would be a team that could upset them. In that respect, I have zero problem with Russia getting first place votes, they have palayed above their competition at a greater rate of success than Richmond Heights has vs their competition.
You may want to take a look at RH’s schedule. Is it possible in a one game that Russia beats RH? Sure. Talent wise though RH is a 20 point fav

Don't get me wrong....I'm not a fan of how RH put this team together....but unfortunately for D4 teams in Ohio it is what it is. But let's be realistic. Russia has the #30 SOS in D4. Richmond Heights has the #1 SOS in the entire state in any division. I get it....Russia gave RH a game for a while last year, but RH is bigger & better than they were then. If they played a typical west central/nw ohio D4 schedule they would be undefeated and likely not had a game less than 40 points. If Russia had played RH schedule up to this point I'd imagine you'd have a lot of people willing to bet you big $$$ that Russia's O/U on wins would be somewhere around 3.

You may want to take a look at RH’s schedule. Is it possible in a one game that Russia beats RH? Sure. Talent wise though RH is a 20 point fav
And I pointed out, talent wise, absolutely. Results for me have been a little disappointing for this Richmond Heights team. They have not played up to their ability IMO. Will they correct their teamwork and improve? Time will tell. I just don't think not giving them a #1 is any reason to say a person should not be voting. Clearly 10 of the 13 of respected opinions on the topic said Richmond Heights was not #1.

Personally if I had a vote, I would have Richmond Heights at #2, with the expectation they could turn things around and totally crush the D4 field.

Just shows that polls are hardly accurate assessments.
Take it for what it is----a battle of local biases. If a sports writer doesn't advocate for teams in his paper's circulation area how can he expect sport writers in other parts of the state to support those very same teams with votes?

It's crazy to me that people put any stock into a "statewide poll" that's voted on by 13 people lol. The AP poll used to have 50+. A couple of the guys in the poll post who they voted for. These two guys are longtime sports guys and most of their vote is pretty good, but even with them there are some definite head-scratchers lol
Where do the two pollsters post their AP Poll votes? That would be interesting to follow and read.

Where do the two pollsters post their AP Poll votes? That would be interesting to follow and read.
The two I've seen are the guy from the Toledo Blade and also Clevelland.com Usually I find a link on Twitter. If you're a subscriber to either you can see them on their websites

To me, it’s a few guys trying to prove what a great bunch they are at guessing. These are kids not pro’s. They don’t stick to a basketball or nothing life. They work on cars, ride skateboards, and a do hundred other things that can cause them to get hurt. The only real pole that matters, is the one after the tourney.

To me, it’s a few guys trying to prove what a great bunch they are at guessing. These are kids not pro’s. They don’t stick to a basketball or nothing life. They work on cars, ride skateboards, and a do hundred other things that can cause them to get hurt. The only real pole that matters, is the one after the tourney.
What?

So true. Again, 13 guys across the entire state trying to vote in a poll with 200+ teams per division. I promise you there are guys who vote solely based on looking at results online and make absolutely no effort to know anything about a team they are voting for other than "they are 10-0". There is nobody voting in Cincinnati who knows anything about northwest Ohio D4 teams like Antwerp lol. It's a popularity contest, nothing more. Fun to look at....but absolutely meaningless in the grand scheme of things. As a fan I'm much more excited to see my team at the top of the Maxpreps or Martin RPI rankings. At least at that point you know 1) they are taking into account every team in the state 2) there is no "local bias" and 3) they use numbers and facts.....not opinions.

State polls are tough for basketball. More games, more teams. The reporters don't have time to watch all the teams and they also don't have enough time to interact with knowledgeable fans of those teams they never see. There is literally a game every night of the week. At least with football, it mostly happens one night a week and the dissecting can go on for the next 5-6 days.

Throw in that many of these reporters are also covering girls basketball makes it twice as hard to do in-depth research on all the teams across the state.

If RH played last year's schedule, they'd have 1 loss max. In the "early season" they did beat Ignatius and run Pick Central. Perhaps other D4 schools could do this, too, but I doubt it.

Definitely think they've underachieved a little -- like I think 3-4 losses would be perfectly fine with what they have and what they played. But they're not playing the same game as the rest of D4. And I realize that's about as obvious a statement as there is.

Anyway, my rule is if you'd bet a team against the entire field to win the state title, then that team is the clear #1.

If RH played last year's schedule, they'd have 1 loss max. In the "early season" they did beat Ignatius and run Pick Central. Perhaps other D4 schools could do this, too, but I doubt it.

Definitely think they've underachieved a little -- like I think 3-4 losses would be perfectly fine with what they have and what they played. But they're not playing the same game as the rest of D4. And I realize that's about as obvious a statement as there is.

Anyway, my rule is if you'd bet a team against the entire field to win the state title, then that team is the clear #1.
Agree with your point, and yes, generally I would bet them against the field. But with a key player or two being declared ineligible for the remainder of the season (according to another thread here on Yappi) I could see other teams getting some hope.

Hiland took OG to the end and on there home court they should have won if are big man didn’t go down with a knee injury we would have won. We played the second toughest schedule in division 4. We beat Wayne trace by 30 and lost to Lutheran east by 10 and it was a 3 point game most of the game.

Lol.....you're kidding right? NW Ohio D3 at this point is OG then everyone else until someone changes that. It's been that way for awhile and no reason to think that's gonna change this season.
I’ve seen them in person twice. Not as good as past years, but you may be right. Who beats em in that region?

I’ve seen them in person twice. Not as good as past years, but you may be right. Who beats em in that region?
Wayne Trace took them to OT in the regional final last year and has the nucleus of that team back. Plus they are in the same district this year. Anyone with an idea who from the central district may choose to head up North?

Last edited: