New Coach

Are we back to a change our colors to green again .. A Koennecke pick... did anyone else have a say... AD? did he interview with anyone else?
ofensive minded... he scored 1 td twice, 2td,s 3 times... 3 td's 3 times.... had 33 pts vs a pittiful east tech team and 29 ve a woeful Southview team// The Magics were better than that. his jv,s were 2 - 5 and did not play 3 games... another example of our BOE & admin in action.. I hope the guy can coach and maybe he can, but I do not like the process.... but if they did not like the apps they should have gone after some one... what are friends for?

no, the evil principal did this all on his own... must be a coup, call Jack Bauer, I swear the posts and posters on here get stupider and stupider by the day.

No one else wants to come there after they were passed over for a coach that turned down the job. Who wants to be 2nd or 3rd choice??

The Barberton board made their beds...now lie in it.

Was this guy even in the interview process? I can't remember him being on any list that was in these threads.

What's the scoop?

no, they didnt even interview him.... obviously, everyone who posts here knows everything that goes on... they just picked a number out of the football coaches phone book and called it randomly and *poof* they have their guy...

If you want to knock the pick, knock the pick.. you want to knock the process then knock the process... but when people make stupid comments like... did they even interview him...

I tried to say this earlier but poorly, so will try to restate it now. I think the BOE completely screwed this up from the beginning. But, in the end they could have done a lot worse. Time will tell if Staats is right man for job. He had some good tams in past, and some 4-6 teams. However, the record to me is always on the players more than the coach. I know he felt things were getting tougher at Bedford, and the quality of kids was going down. What we will have to see is if he is able to get kids out at Barberton. Any coach who is able to get kids out wins.. its that simple.

Wow,

Very nice of you to call some of us idiots. It's a simple question, "Did they interview him?"

Going by what people have stated on here, and that may or may not be accurate, he wasn't on the list of applicants. I'm sure he was interviewed, it only makes since, but with this BOE past history, anything is possible.

I'm just asking, does anybody know, for sure, that the guy made the final round of interviews?

I'm confused. Apparently all these guys on yappi blew it for Wallace. You know the whole "Beacon journal learned from Yappi and made a press release".Of Course that doesn't work (the Beacon isn't releasing that type of info w/out confirmation). Now, with all the inside info that everyone had, they pull this name out and everyone is surprised. Seems to me the principle, the BOE, the AD, and everyone involved made us and Wallace look like horse's a---s. You know, he might have had his flaws but Terry Presto wouldn't have made this big of a mess. This super AD that everyone seems to love has been part of mess after mess.

One more thing - does anyone understand the amount of tax payer money that is going to be paid to this coach? I do and I think it is absolutely stupid that they felt having 17yr old kids who don't understand the real world in on this choice. Haven't we all learned that from the times that players get on this board, alone. I have a good job and a nice family and am grown up now and looking back at myself at 17, there is no way I was qualified to make a choice like that. Its called having the inmates running the assylum. I guess Barberton is PC now even though they don't know how to be.

I see no problem with some of the current players being part of a committee to voice recommendations for what they want and look for in a coach, what traitsa they want, and type of personality, but not as a part of the selection committee. That should be handled by the administration, but then again, maybe the kids could have done a better job in the hiring process than the BOE did!
Now if you will excuse me, I have to eat my hot rice and cole slaw!

I am STILL in awe over this entire situation, but congrats to Barberton on hiring a guy with great credentials. You better hope he stays longer than a year!

This is my last post on the Barberton situation. I am moving onto Avon and Twinsburg. I actually DO have "horses in those two races"!!! I know that many of you will be very happy to see me go as I will miss our little spats! In closing, here are my comments:

- The BASEBALL job was in fact the MAIN reason Wallace chose to stay at Green. Yes there were other factors including what was said on here and how everything was handled, but it is time to move on.

- Players have no business on the committee! They shouldn't even meet a potential coach until he is officially hired by the BOE! Since when should players determine how they should be coached, disciplined, etc? That is wrong with parenting and schools today, we just give in way to much!!!!

- Do you truly think Coach Staats got this position without interviewing? Maybe none of us were correct and he had an interview all along! Brian Staats/Brian Spicer I could see the mix up! Remember the good old telephone game?!

Like I said before I truly believe that MOST of my information was very accurate and that is all that matters to me. I did have to leave some facts out because they were too specific, but the hiring of Coach Staats was a total shock and that is how it SHOULD be!

Good luck Magics and I hope it gets turned around like I have said before, for the kids sake!

By the way, fries or joe-joes? :shrug: Am I missing something?

By the way, fries or joe-joes? :shrug: Am I missing something?

You sure are...side orders with Barberton chicken along with the hot rice!

This serious breach of Barberton lore and etiquette calls for your banishment from the Barberton School Forum. Anyone who couldn't pick up that correlation has no business on this board. I've eaten a ton of Barberton chicken and those side orders in my day...and I have the neck-to-navel scar to show for it. So there!

It is a shame that knowsnothing is done posting on this site and I am sure that it won't be long and he won't be posting on the Avon and Twinsburg sites. I mean with all the inside information he has I am sure that he will get bored with common folk like us.
I would however like to clarify one thing, again, regarding Wallace. If the baseball job was the MAIN reason that he stayed at Green, then why did he apply for this job? Why was he out introducing himself at two venues, at the least, as the new football head coach? The bottom line is the BOE got a burr up their backside and took him to task over it. They then went to someone that the administration was comfortable with, who by the way did not get a second interview.
I truly don't feel he will be at Barberton long, and that is a shame. (or should I say sham to go along with this whole process?)
I believe that there will be constant second guessing of this pick for sometime to come.
Will he win that one suburban league game as that appears to be one of the points that Wallace was told he had to do? What if he doesn't?

this coach did not interview with the committee. two members of the committee stated flatly "i don,t know who he is" He worked with the Kirk mam at Bedford who paniced when they lost Wallace and hired a friend who had losing seasons in two of the last three at a school that HAD a good tradiion. (a hoedakievic was there before him) Even the AD had no say in this hiring... which deligates him to no authority and no respect by this admin and means that he can not stay here long. but when election time comes he may /// make that WILL outlast some BOE. It is a joke the way the entire thing went. I hope that Brian Staats is successful. The players need to become successful. Now this process really shows you what a black eye really is .

aj 444, you are correct that he did not interview with the committee for the second round of interviews. He did interview in the first round, he did not make it to the round of the final four, which one person backed out and that left 3; Sharkey, Wallace and Spicer.
It is a real tragedy that the only one who had ANY say in the hiring was Cpt. Kirk.
As I said in my previous post, I wonder if he will get that 1 suburban league win that was apparently communicated to Wallace as something he must get. (that is when he was going to take the job).
You are right, the players need to become successful and that means that they need to be doing conditioning NOW. That is what they control, not anyone else. I just hope that they get together as a unit and devote themselves to this.

So basically - after all the hype - after all the drama - after all the campaigning - we hired a candidate that no one really wanted in the first place except the principle. Let me get this right - we hired a guy from a mildly successful program were he accomplished little for what. A ton of cash is what. He just got a nice pay raise for doing average work and has no connection to the community at all. Great job there Barberton!

I'm willing to give him a chance, and wish him luck!
That's about all we can do it this point, right?

Or, we can sit here all day bashing the board and the principal for offering the job to someone who JUST MAY turn out to be a good thing for Barberton.
Nobody knows for sure, we'll just have to wait and see!

Best of luck to the new coach.

From the news: Staats has 22 yrs. of coaching experience, including 10 yrs as head coach at Columbus Mifflin, Delaware Hayes and Bedford. He has been at Bedford for the past 3 yrs....his record 15-16. His 2005 team made the state playoffs and lost to Tallmadge 28-13 in the 1st round. He is a graduate of Thiel College in PA and is a Streetsboro resident. He will teach Social Studies at Barberton. Long drive to work every day.......maybe he should move to Barberton. :shrug: Is this town good enough for him? Just wondering because it does not seem to be good enough for SOME others!
PLEASE DO NOT GET ME WRONG FOLKS......before you say anything; he does not have to move here......I am just having a little fun.

All I'm saying is, do we really believe this guy can do a better job than Glaze or Flossie? They both came here under better situations with better resumes. I'll give him a shot but I think this whole thing was a sham to get Kirk's buddy in a good paying job. Or are you telling me that Sharkey turned it down after Wallace left? This just seems to be as dirty as dirty can get.

Yes, it may be dirty but the truth of the matter is, the world is full of politics.....all the way from 5 year old pee wee sports to the top of the line. It exists everywhere you look. Very often the best guy loses! I have watched kids cheated out of playing positions on teams because of "WHO" the coach liked....not who could play the position better.... but who he liked better. I am sure this coach hiring falls under the same category. When you start pulling people from places well known to the one in charge of making the decsion, it does become suspicious. Truthfully, is anyone really surprised here?

Allsfair seems to have alot of inside information that seems to come directly from the Board. According to some of my sources, and I'm not saying that they are the best sources, Allsfair announced on here the new coach's name about 20 minutes after the Board approved the guy.

My question is how does Allsfair have a son that plays on the Tallmadge Little League All Star team and the Tallmadge Youth Football JV team but still lives in Barberton? Inquiring minds want to know.

My daughter was turned away from the "all star" teams in Barberton for softball - said she wasn't good enough.. <shrug> She's played travel ball OUTSIDE THE ZIP CODE since moving here 10 years ago. You don't have to be a resident to play the game in the all star world.

You do in Tallmadge Little League, residency is a requirement and you have to be grandfathered in for Youth Football.

Not sure if this would be the same program I am speaking of. I must have mispoke when using "all stars" as a term. I'm speaking of a select travel team. If they are one and the same - then clearly their requirements are only as good as those enforcing them.

Yeh,

We are probably talking about two different animals. You're talking about travel or select teams and I'm talking about Little League.

One last thing that bothers me. Staats is 44yrs old and he will be at his 4th school in eight years. So much for stability.