NCAA Tournament Discussion

At the time (January) I didn’t think Xavier could win. But they proved to be a better team than I thought. I doubt they’ll win a title, especially with Mack leaving, but there was a small chance they could have won it. Any 1 seed has some sort of non-astronomical odds to win a title.

You literally said the program had no chance to ever win a title :laugh:

Unlike EP, I can admit to being wrong. In January, I didn’t think they’d ever win a title. However, after seeing them play out the rest of the season, and knowing it was a bit of a weak yr in college bball (a lot of good, not great teams), they had a chance going into the Tournament.

I’ll need to see how these next 2 yrs go before judging their chances in the future. If he can get them to the Tournament and win 20-25 games, then they’ll get back sooner than later. If not, it’ll set them back a decade. They’ll be similar to Creighton or Marquette.

I’ll add, UC can win a title, but not with Cronin. He’s a complete con man who tries to play up this “blue collar, local boy” act and the truth is he’s an avg coach with a short temper.

Anybody see Zion Williamson last night ? How does Duke ever miss a final four with talent like that ? Crazy making a kid like this go to college.

Anybody see Zion Williamson last night ? How does Duke ever miss a final four with talent like that ? Crazy making a kid like this go to college.

Leadership counts for something. Bagley might be a better all around player than any of the Top 3 they’ve got coming in. Everyone forgets how important Quinn Cook and Amile Jefferson were on the last National Championship team. With Okafor in foul trouble, Jefferson was especially huge in the Title game with his Defense on Kaminsky.

And yes, the One and Done culture is pointless. It’s such a charade, it almost ruins the game for me. Im always thinking deep down, none of these Freshman studs want to be out there, and I don’t blame them.

Leadership counts for something. Bagley might be a better all around player than any of the Top 3 they’ve got coming in. Everyone forgets how important Quinn Cook and Amile Jefferson were on the last National Championship team. With Okafor in foul trouble, Jefferson was especially huge in the Title game with his Defense on Kaminsky.

Bagley was an offensive non factor in the biggest game of his college career. Give Kansas and their coaches credit for how they smothered him. The Williamson kid is a physical freak of nature for a high school basketball player. No way he gets shut down and pushed away from the basket like Bagley was.
Still amazed how Kansas man handled them on the boards.

Jeff Capel was an assistant at Duke who is basically responsible for the recruitment of One and Dones. Besides the final decison by K, he is the one most influential in Duke going so heavy in that direction and basically adopted the UK/ Calipari model.

As a Head Coach he was responsible for getting Blake Griffin to Oklahoma but was later forced to resign over benefit and recruiting scandals. As former Duke player, coach K took him on as an assistant after he left OU.

There was a lot of assumption he was the heir apparent to Coach K (he coached Duke a few games when K had health issues). To many traditional Duke fans this is probably a good thing. He has a dirty record and with the one and down structure on its way out, it opens the Duke job for a better candidate down the line.

Well said. That's a pretty big loss for Duke as far as recruiting goes. I don't think I would have taken the Pitt job if I were him

Jeff Capel was an assistant at Duke who is basically responsible for the recruitment of One and Dones. Besides the final decison by K, he is the one most influential in Duke going so heavy in that direction and basically adopted the UK/ Calipari model.

As a Head Coach he was responsible for getting Blake Griffin to Oklahoma but was later forced to resign over benefit and recruiting scandals. As former Duke player, coach K took him on as an assistant after he left OU.

There was a lot of assumption he was the heir apparent to Coach K (he coached Duke a few games when K had health issues). To many traditional Duke fans this is probably a good thing. He has a dirty record and with the one and down structure on its way out, it opens the Duke job for a better candidate down the line.

i assume you mean "one and done"?

and it's NOT on it's way out. far from it. as much as some of these leagues wanna put together these dumba $ $ proposals on "two or none" like the Big East did, which is ludicrous, nothing is going to change, nor does it need to. there's NOTHING wrong with the "one and done" model. it isn't ruining college basketball at all. the fact that the NCAA makes BILLIONS off these guys and they can't get the same benefits that a normal student can is the problem. leave "one and done" alone. it's fine. fix the other issues first.

I had a hard time seeing him as K's replacement. Despite all he has accomplished, Coach K's Coaching Tree is rather lack luster. Dawkins, Amaker, and Capel flopped in their first or second job, Collins and Wojo have been ok, but far from ready to take over one of the premier programs in College bball.

And yes, the One and Done culture is pointless. It’s such a charade, it almost ruins the game for me. Im always thinking deep down, none of these Freshman studs want to be out there, and I don’t blame them.

They want to be out there. They don't want to be in class during the week.

i assume you mean "one and done"?

and it's NOT on it's way out. far from it. as much as some of these leagues wanna put together these dumba $ $ proposals on "two or none" like the Big East did, which is ludicrous, nothing is going to change, nor does it need to. there's NOTHING wrong with the "one and done" model. it isn't ruining college basketball at all. the fact that the NCAA makes BILLIONS off these guys and they can't get the same benefits that a normal student can is the problem. leave "one and done" alone. it's fine. fix the other issues first.

I'd say it's on it's way out. Silver and the NBA look like they'll be scrapping the one and done rule and then if that happens there might be a couple of one and dones in a given year, because the previous group of one and dones will just go straight to the NBA.

I had a hard time seeing him as K's replacement. Despite all he has accomplished, Coach K's Coaching Tree is rather lack luster. Dawkins, Amaker, and Capel flopped in their first or second job, Collins and Wojo have been ok, but far from ready to take over one of the premier programs in College bball.

Wojo has been terrible really. Marquette still hasn't been in the tournament with him