NBA thread

There was a time when I would've watched every minute of All-Star weekend (dunk contest, 3 point contest and the game). This year I didn't watch any of it. Then I saw the score this morning and had to look twice. It's just a different era.

Saw a tweet from Scott Van Pelt about the all star game. He said "If you don't care, why should we?"

Did not watch a single minute but saw the score. What a joke.
This hasn't been a serious event for years. I feel like there was a brief blip recently where they at least had guys take the later minutes of the 4th quarter seriously, but even that minimalist effort seems to be over with.

It's become an event for celebrities to be seen. Few to none of the "stars" take the individual contests seriously. Hell, these last couple years they've had to call up a G-Leaguer/former internet star to make the dunk contest halfway interesting.

Should just move the "in-season tournament" towards the middle of the season and play the finals of it in place of the all-star game.

As the above implies, All-Star Weekend simply isn’t geared toward the average fan. For many years it’s just been a free weekend for celebrities and current and former pro basketball players to mingle and party together. Any of the NBA events are just an obligation for them to trudge through.

As the above implies, All-Star Weekend simply isn’t geared toward the average fan. For many years it’s just been a free weekend for celebrities and current and former pro basketball players to mingle and party together. Any of the NBA events are just an obligation for them to trudge through.
True, but go back and watch the 90’s all-star games. They didn’t go as hard as a playoff game, but they competed pretty hard. Much more than today.

I have been to a lot of All Star games and the NBA AS Game is more of a cultural experience than a celebration of the game. The amount of over the top everything is so apparent and the players are more worried about how they look and how their entourages are perceived more than any type of game.

True, but go back and watch the 90’s all-star games. They didn’t go as hard as a playoff game, but they competed pretty hard. Much more than today.
True. Its called pride. Guys like Jordan, Bird and Magic would rather lose a limb than lose a basketball game, especially a game with the other elite guys playing against them. The guys today don't have that.

Here's an idea that probably wouldn't ever work. What is one thing that motivates these guys besides money? - and they have too much money and that doesn't work anymore? It's pride and ego. So let's put an all NBA all star team together. 12 guys, both leagues on one team. Then, put together a "snub" team, of guys who were not picked on the first team, or maybe guys who are routinely overlooked. I'll guarantee you, you put some guys like that on a team and there would be competition . I look at guys like Dillon Brooks and Patrick Beverly, that would raise the level of play significantly. Players don't like to get embarassed. The NBA needs to plant some different guys in the game.

I just heard and ad for a podcast that's about NBA fantasy teams??? Seriously?? Is there anyone on this thread that so into NBA that you have a fantasy team?? And how does that work?

Sixers had quite the gauntlet at the end of Feb, Knicks, Cavs, Milwaukee & Boston in 6 days. Nice win yesterday at Dallas.

Would the NBA be better off making players stay in college 2 or 3 years?

A) The players would be older and more mature for their “rookie” season … most likely have a greater impact for team on winning.
B) The players would have developed a bigger brand … 2/3 years of March Madness would make them bigger stars coming into the league
C) With NIL the players would still be making $$$$

I am saying this because I hardly knew any of the players in this year’s NCAA tournament … they make a name for themselves and then they are gone … having them play another year or two could turn them into household names before they leave college.

Would the NBA be better off making players stay in college 2 or 3 years?

A) The players would be older and more mature for their “rookie” season … most likely have a greater impact for team on winning.
B) The players would have developed a bigger brand … 2/3 years of March Madness would make them bigger stars coming into the league
C) With NIL the players would still be making $$$$

I am saying this because I hardly knew any of the players in this year’s NCAA tournament … they make a name for themselves and then they are gone … having them play another year or two could turn them into household names before they leave college.
The NBA would be a thousand times better if college players stayed in school for 2-3 years, but it's never going to happen. The NBA is as young as it's ever been. At least now you do have a shot at keeping some kids in college with creating NIL deals that pay them. If you at least take the financial aspect away from the college kids, they WHY are you going to the NBA? Kids always said before it was to take care of their family and all that. Well no one every follows up with these kids a couple years later when basketball is over and they have not degree. I'm not sure staying in college builds a brand anymore. At least if they are in school for years you can develop some familiarity with kids.

I'm curious as to why you didn't know many of the men's college players? It can't be because they are not on TV, there are more basketball games on TV than ever before. Here's what it is, we are bored with today's college game. What has happened to college basketball? It looks like pro basketball. Alot of iso, alot of 3's, we were excited with that 10-15 years ago. So what the next thing that's going to make basketball interesting?

the NBA playoffs is so jacked up is silly. I mean why do you bring in 10 teams from each conference into the playoffs??? There are 30 teams in the NBA, 20 make the playoffs. 66.6% of the league make the playoffs!!! How silly is that???

Here's a solution, and it solved two problems, it cuts the teams down, and it also makes regular season games more relevant.

in each conference 8 teams make it.
First place - you play ALL first round games at home
Second place - you play 6 of the possible 7 playoff games at home
Third place - you play 5 of the possible game at home
Fourth place - you play 4 of the possible 7 at home

Second round - the higher seeded teams play 5 of the possible 7 games at home
Con finals - normal 4/3 format.

This will MAKE teams play their stars and the importance of regular season games is critical, not only for home court but for financial reasons. Home team gets more games for parking, concessions and tickets.

The NBA has a credibility problem. These teams could care less if they get a top seed. As long as they have a top 4 seed, they feel they can work it out. Meanwhile fans of teams that support teams by buying regular season games only to have the stars sit half the games.

Well there's very little to no interest in the NBA playoffs according to this thread. I can get that to a point because the NBA has pretty much deemed the regular season useless. However now the stakes get higher and you'll see some pretty good basketball the next few months. Boston appears to be head and shoulders above the field in the east, but the west should be great. My Sixers survived the play in game and match up well with the Knicks in the first round. Some of these series are so hard to look at because some of the teams significant stars missed time in the regular season so teams may be alot different than the regular season.

Well there's very little to no interest in the NBA playoffs according to this thread. I can get that to a point because the NBA has pretty much deemed the regular season useless. However now the stakes get higher and you'll see some pretty good basketball the next few months. Boston appears to be head and shoulders above the field in the east, but the west should be great. My Sixers survived the play in game and match up well with the Knicks in the first round. Some of these series are so hard to look at because some of the teams significant stars missed time in the regular season so teams may be alot different than the regular season.
For am embecil, presume that is me,
how does the play in games work? I thought I knew...but dont....

For am embecil, presume that is me,
how does the play in games work? I thought I knew...but dont....
7 hosts 8 for the 7 seed. Winner is 7 seed.
9 hosts 10 in elimination game. Loser is eliminated.

Loser of 7-8 hosts winner of 9-10 for the 8 seed.

Interesting that all 8 higher seeds won their opening game of the series. Since so many experts have predicted some lower seed upsets, I'll be curious how many of those lower seeds bounce back in Game 2's

As a pretty casual viewer/follower until this time of the year, it's interesting how much scoring has decreased across the board so far in these first round games compared to the regular season.

There have been several sub-100 point scores with some down as far as the mid-80s. Regular season it seemed like any given night you'd check the scoreboard and see a ton of teams putting up 120+ points.

Speaks volumes about the difference in defensive effort combined with less generous officiating. Real basketball doesn't begin until the playoffs begin.

As a pretty casual viewer/follower until this time of the year, it's interesting how much scoring has decreased across the board so far in these first round games compared to the regular season.

There have been several sub-100 point scores with some down as far as the mid-80s. Regular season it seemed like any given night you'd check the scoreboard and see a ton of teams putting up 120+ points.

Speaks volumes about the difference in defensive effort combined with less generous officiating. Real basketball doesn't begin until the playoffs begin.
If they wanted to bring real basketball to the regular season, cut the playoffs to the top 5 seeds per conference: the 3 division winners and 2 wildcards, with the wildcards playing a best of 3 to advance to the conference semis.

And if they want to make the in-season tournament relevant, grant the tournament winner an automatic playoff berth as one of the 5 spots in their conference.

Anthony Edwards is a stud … Minnesota much better than I realized
It would be really refreshing to see some new blood deeper into the playoffs. It's almost comical how the networks just pound us over the head with the "name" teams. Lakers/ Warriors/ Celtics/ Sixers (and I'm a Sixer fan). Most are probably stunned the Magic are in the playoffs, we know nothing about them. Timberwolves, Thunder, Cavs, it would be nice to see some of these teams get deep into the playoffs. Networks are stressing because Steph and the Warriors are out, and the Lakers are about two more games from being out.