NBA thread

If they wanted to bring real basketball to the regular season, cut the playoffs to the top 5 seeds per conference: the 3 division winners and 2 wildcards, with the wildcards playing a best of 3 to advance to the conference semis.

And if they want to make the in-season tournament relevant, grant the tournament winner an automatic playoff berth as one of the 5 spots in their conference.
I agree with the in-season tournament. There's no real purpose to it IMO if it doesn't come with an automatic playoff birth.

Under the current format, the in-season winner should be guaranteed a top-4 playoff seed IMO.

Saw a stat today that said LeBron is now 0-57 on game winning shots. I'm assuming thats over his career. Even if he made that 3 last night Denver would've had a chance to tie and send it into OT, so I would not count that as a missed game winner.

Saw a stat today that said LeBron is now 0-57 on game winning shots. I'm assuming thats over his career. Even if he made that 3 last night Denver would've had a chance to tie and send it into OT, so I would not count that as a missed game winner.
Does that famous clip of him hitting the 3 to beat Orlando at the buzzer in maybe 2009 Game 2 not count?

I guess it's how you look at it. If Lebron makes that shot, they go ahead and if the Nuggets don't score, it's the game winning shot. It's like the old game winning RBI in baseball. Whoever knocks in the run that puts you ahead for good gets the GW RBI.
LeBron crying about the officiating after the game. Dude's got some stones.

That can’t be right … I know he hit one vs Orlando in playoffs when he was a Cav

I don’t follow the NBA enough let alone one player to know. Just saw it online. Last night I think he should’ve just taken it to the hoop in that instance. He’s big and strong enough to finish and maybe get an and one.

Where did you find that incorrect stat? I’ve watched in person him do it twice

Twitter-verse of course. I would have to sssume over a 20 year career he had made at least one. I was just asking because I don’t follow the nba enough to know off the top of my head.

Much discussion about the officials in recent NBA games, why? I mean the replay system was put into assist officials in near end of game close calls where it may be necessary. There is always going to be a human element to officiating and it's silly to see these guys argue continuously about calls when most of the time they are wrong. And then it was thought that the Sixers were going to protest game 2. Again why? Do you honestly think they are going to say ok, we'll play the end of the game again?? How silly is that even to consider.

Playoff comments...
  • My Sixers are in trouble. Giving away game 2 may haunt this team all off season. It should be 2-2 now and it honestly could be 3-1 Sixers. OG Annoby has slowed down Maxey, Embiid is playing too many minutes. He just came back for a handful of regular season games at about 30 minutes a night. In this series he's playing 40 a night. That's just poor management of his time. I thought the Sixers could outman the Knicks but they've chosen to not play much of the bench. Nurse is obviously comfortable with veterans Batum and Lowery, but you can't run those guys out there for high minutes, especially Lowery. He doesn't score like he used to. Tobias Harris has been a whipping boy in Philly most of his career and most can't wait for the day he's out of town. He's always been a 3rd/ 4th option and has just never been able to make an impact in this series. Deanthony Melton, Buddy Hield, Cam Payne, Paul Reed has all had minimal minutes and I think that's a mistake vs. the Knicks.
  • Lakers are out, and I'm fine with that. The sooner LeBron retires the better. The Lakers are hamstrung with him, and he just can't carry teams anymore. I'm actually shocked they gave Denver a pretty good series. Denver's defense isn't great on the wings. As good as Murray is on offense, he's not a good defender.
  • TWolves are for real. Anthony Edwards is a rising star, Karl Anthony Townes and Rudy Gobert give them a couple of big bodies in the paint and they've got just enough other guys to get it done. Suns are a struggling franchise.
  • While it's nice for the Thunder to win a series, can't take the Pelicans seriously as a legit playoff team.
  • Boston WAS the odds on favorite to get to the finals until last night. Porzingas is injured and they are not the same team without him. Or even with him injured.
  • Milwaukee has been a major disappointment this season. Giannis hasn't even played in the playoffs and Dame is now out. Pacers got a nice team, you may see a flyer get to the finals from the East.
  • Interesting series with the Magic and Cavs. Cavs in full control after game 2, Magic dominated both games in Orlando. Can a road team win a game in this series?

The NBA confuses the hell out of me. The Bucks, without Giannis or Dame Lillard, go out last night and kill the Pacers. WTF?
That's a head scratcher. But it just goes to show you that especially now, the NBA is such an iso league that every team has talent and I don't know if the Pacers thought they were just going to coast into that game and win. Seems to me one of the major motivators of pro athletes is being slighted by the opponent. You hear athletes all the time say "no one thought we could win". Seems to be a very powerful driver.

So the 2023-24 season for the Sixers is over. The day Embiid hurt his knee, this season was pretty much over at that point. The club did go get Cam Payne, Buddy Heild, Nick Batum and I thought tried to piece together a team that could contend and I think they did. Embiid was clearly compromised - but he always is. Yet he did have his best postseason series, IMO on a bum leg. Tyrese Maxey has blossomed into a superstar type player. Tobias Harris and Kyle Lowery had bad series and those are the guys that have to step up in tight series. The Sixers have a bunch of flexibility going into next season. Embiid and Maxey are your foundation. Harris is gone. My guess is Heild is gone. If Nurse wanted him he'd played him more than he did in this series. Oubre is a nice player and they need to bring him back.

Simply put, this team will not win if you put all the onus on Embiid. He cannot stay healthy for a full season. You need to limit his minutes, he needs to understand that he's a 20 pt/ 8 rebound guy for 60 games plus playoffs, not a 35 pt. 12 rebound guy for 80 games plus playoffs.

So the 2023-24 season for the Sixers is over. The day Embiid hurt his knee, this season was pretty much over at that point. The club did go get Cam Payne, Buddy Heild, Nick Batum and I thought tried to piece together a team that could contend and I think they did. Embiid was clearly compromised - but he always is. Yet he did have his best postseason series, IMO on a bum leg. Tyrese Maxey has blossomed into a superstar type player. Tobias Harris and Kyle Lowery had bad series and those are the guys that have to step up in tight series. The Sixers have a bunch of flexibility going into next season. Embiid and Maxey are your foundation. Harris is gone. My guess is Heild is gone. If Nurse wanted him he'd played him more than he did in this series. Oubre is a nice player and they need to bring him back.

Simply put, this team will not win if you put all the onus on Embiid. He cannot stay healthy for a full season. You need to limit his minutes, he needs to understand that he's a 20 pt/ 8 rebound guy for 60 games plus playoffs, not a 35 pt. 12 rebound guy for 80 games plus playoffs.
He is a tremendous player and I know you love the big guy, but will Philly ever win with Embiid? 7 years now, I think they have won one playoff series with him? He's just so fragile it seems.