NBA thread

Good point, but remember that the Lakers title is tainted because that was the perfect scenario for an aging LeBron. He got to "rest" all summer before the playoffs. He's generally beat up and tired going into the playoffs. My guess is the Lakers will piece things togethers as the season goes along, be a #4/ #5 seed for the start of the playoffs and will have various minor injuries that turn into major debilitating injuries the first round of the playoffs.

"He's generally beat up and tired going into the playoffs"

What planet are you from? He's normally not beat up and not tired going into the playoffs

The longer he plays the stronger he gets.You don't know much about Lebron.

Anthony Davis and Russ are both better than Lebron.

Lakers all the way AGAIN!!

I would generally agree he is not too beat up and tired going into the postseason, but it's because he doesn't give anywhere near the effort that he gave in his earlier years during the regular season. Most of the time he gives minimal effort defensively and rests on that side of the court to conserve energy for bigger games and to be fresher entering the playoffs. That man's going to end up logging a lot more minutes than anybody before him between regular season/playoffs/international competition, and the last few years it's been clear that he's stretching out the mileage down the homestretch.

Russ is there to be the energizer bunny and to carry the load during the back-to-back nights during the dog days of the season. I'd look for a lot of vintage underappreciated triple doubles (maybe even averaging one again) for Russ while a lot of older players frequently rest/load manage en route to a 4/5 seed for the Lakers. Whatever happens in the playoffs all depends on health and matchups.

"He's generally beat up and tired going into the playoffs"

What planet are you from? He's normally not beat up and not tired going into the playoffs

The longer he plays the stronger he gets.You don't know much about Lebron.

Anthony Davis and Russ are both better than Lebron.

Lakers all the way AGAIN!!
I've watched his whole career. He's finally bowing to father time. The last 3-4 seasons, he's had nagging injuries during the season, and has not been able to get through the playoffs. This past season, he became a standing point guard who struggles to defend anyone. He tanks it so much on both ends so he can play 35-40 minutes, but it substandard play. That HURTS the team.

I'm sorry but AD is a younger version of today's LeBron, he simply can't play a long season and the playoffs just wear him out. Russ will kill the Lakers. High volume shooter who plays faster than his used to be younger teammates, how's he going to play with older, slower teammates?

I've watched his whole career. He's finally bowing to father time. The last 3-4 seasons, he's had nagging injuries during the season, and has not been able to get through the playoffs. This past season, he became a standing point guard who struggles to defend anyone. He tanks it so much on both ends so he can play 35-40 minutes, but it substandard play. That HURTS the team.

I'm sorry but AD is a younger version of today's LeBron, he simply can't play a long season and the playoffs just wear him out. Russ will kill the Lakers. High volume shooter who plays faster than his used to be younger teammates, how's he going to play with older, slower teammates?
He's going to be shooting early and often, especially on the second night of a back-to-back with LeBron and others sitting out to rest. I don't expect much in terms of efficiency, but I'd bet there's a good chance he averages a triple double again in the range of 22-24 pts and 10-11 rebs and asts.

He's going to be shooting early and often, especially on the second night of a back-to-back with LeBron and others sitting out to rest. I don't expect much in terms of efficiency, but I'd bet there's a good chance he averages a triple double again in the range of 22-24 pts and 10-11 rebs and asts.
The triple double has become an irrelevant stat in the NBA. Too many minutes, too many possessions. If a player is playing more than 35 minutes per game, they probably should be nearing a triple double every night unless they are a post up center.

The triple double has become an irrelevant stat in the NBA. Too many minutes, too many possessions. If a player is playing more than 35 minutes per game, they probably should be nearing a triple double every night unless they are a post up center.
I'm not sure I'd call it totally irrelevant yet, but it certainly is irrelevant for Russ and has been for at least a few years. People largely expect him to pad stats at this point while shooting inefficiently, and probably having marginal to no real value on the team's win total.

I've probably said it before, but I do appreciate that he is one of the few "stars" that are getting older that legitimately brings it every night, even if for a lot of nights for him it is rough to watch.

I'm not sure I'd call it totally irrelevant yet, but it certainly is irrelevant for Russ and has been for at least a few years. People largely expect him to pad stats at this point while shooting inefficiently, and probably having marginal to no real value on the team's win total.

I've probably said it before, but I do appreciate that he is one of the few "stars" that are getting older that legitimately brings it every night, even if for a lot of nights for him it is rough to watch.
100% true, he's a guy that plays hard all the time. The issue with that in a team setting, and especially a sport like the NBA, individuals get more praise that team success. I'd contend that if Russ was more of a "team" guy (i.e. make the extra pass, don't take the first available shot, etc.) his teams would be much more successful. This really goes hand in hand with the NBA's lack of emphasis in coaching. Saying a guy has a triple double doesn't ever account for how many shots a guy takes. You can score 20 points and it takes 25 shots to get those 20 points ( 8-25 shooting, 4 3 point shots). If you're a teams dominate ball handler, the 10 assists is nearly a given and the 10 rebounds - especially in 3 point shooting misses creates long rebounds for guards. The massive number of possessions in a 48 minute NBA game with a 24 second shot clock creates piles and piles of numbers to accumulate.

The Lakers pick up DeAndre Jordan as a rim protecter and rebounder.

Gasol is now out.Dwight Howard is now back up center as rim protecter and rebounder.

Not a big NBA fan anymore but I saw the Lakers/Warriors game on TV last night and just assumed it was a preseason game. I'm definitely not the target audience for the NBA but thought it was interesting that the regular season could start and almost no one I know talked about it at all.

1634922937112.png

Cincinnati/Finneytown native Darius Bazely goes for 20 and 6 as the Thunder beat a LeBron-less Lakers for their first win of 2021.

Bazely is entering his 3rd season in the NBA and just had a $4.26 million club option for 22/23 exercised by the Thunder on his rookie deal.

apparently not. he's gone to the mental health card and is still getting paid because the NBA has not backbone to stand up to their union. I laugh when pro athletes talk about mental health. Why not come out here in the real world, lose or not have a job and try to survive? These guys are multi million dollar athletes who've been pampered their entire lives. Sure there's pressure but it's "within" their sport. They still play a kids game a get paid handsomely for it. Ben's acting like child so I have to push much of this on his parents.

Got some real nice hair styles going on in the league that's for sure...BAM!
Saw a story the other day of a college coach who is requiring his players to have "clean" haircuts. No dreads, no ponytails. Good luck with that.

Alot of today's players looking like Sideshow Bob out there.

Talen Horton-Tucker is just 20 years old.He has a 7-foot-1 wingspan.

He is 6'4" tall and is a small forward/shooting guard.

He is back from injury for the Lakers and scored 28 and 25 points in his first 2 games back.

I see this thread has little to no activity, kind of tells you where the NBA is at in popularity. But I just wonder if many of these NBA players are "testing" positive for COVID so they can have Christmas week off? I mean with what's happened the last few years, do you really trust anyone from the NBA anymore? Commissioner Adam Silver would never call anyone out on this.

Josh Giddey of the Thunder made some obscure NBA history, recording a scoreless double-double with 10 rebounds and 10 assists. This was the first 0 point double-double since 1971.

Monster deal struck just before the deadline today with the Nets dealing James Harden and Paul Millsap to the Sixers for Ben Simmons, Seth Curry, Andre Drummond, and two future first round picks.

This could be a very good deal for both sides if they can keep all of their "stars" on the floor. I think you can argue the move makes both sides better.

The east is wide open so many of the contenders made moves to make a run, will be interesting to see who is poised for a run once the new guys get settled. Cavs play at the 76ers on Saturday in what could be a fun game and who does ABC have as there prime time game? The Lakers going up the coast to get thrashed by the Warriors. If ever they had the ability to flex a game this would the the time to do it.

Sixers fan, a little leery about the trade as Harden is a wild card. You really don't know what we're going to get for him. Drummond was an excellent backup for Joel and if there is ANY injury issues with Joel the rest of the season, Sixers are in deep trouble at the 5 spot.

I am glad we did not have to part with Maxey or Thybulle. Still feel the Sixers need to add some more depth.

Monster deal struck just before the deadline today with the Nets dealing James Harden and Paul Millsap to the Sixers for Ben Simmons, Seth Curry, Andre Drummond, and two future first round picks.

This could be a very good deal for both sides if they can keep all of their "stars" on the floor. I think you can argue the move makes both sides better.
The thing that fascinates me about this trade is you have two guys who were pouting about their current situations and refused to play...and now they are suddenly going to be healthy and willing to play? I think the NBA really needs to address this type of behavior among it's players with the union. It's a crappy look for the fans.

The thing that fascinates me about this trade is you have two guys who were pouting about their current situations and refused to play...and now they are suddenly going to be healthy and willing to play? I think the NBA really needs to address this type of behavior among it's players with the union. It's a crappy look for the fans.
Absolutely agree.

How many times has Harden done that now in his career? Two? Three?

The east is wide open so many of the contenders made moves to make a run, will be interesting to see who is poised for a run once the new guys get settled. Cavs play at the 76ers on Saturday in what could be a fun game and who does ABC have as there prime time game? The Lakers going up the coast to get thrashed by the Warriors. If ever they had the ability to flex a game this would the the time to do it.
Yeah, but if LeBro scores his 27 points, even in a loss, everybody's happy.