MVAC 2021

Another d1 kid from Labrae... crazy. Can't wait to watch Labrae vs Garfield and Crestview
Cusick is a good coach, but with just 2-3 returning starters, I don't see them hanging in the games again Labrae and Garfield. If stadiums are allowed to work at full capacity, that Labrae-Garfield game will be an absolute war

C-View has had 3 losing seasons and one 5-5 season since 2000. Even if they lose a lot, they typically are above average. A lot of that has to do with the system that Cusick has implemented that goes all the way through JR high. He also gets players on the field as underclassmen, and not just during mop-up time either. I'm not saying they will be 10-0 or 9-1, but I doubt that they will be much worse than 6-4 if at all.

Columbiana Crestview
08/20 H Salem
08/27 A Salineville Southern
09/03 A Hanoverton United Local
09/10 A Campbell Memorial
09/17 H Youngstown Liberty
09/24 H Brookfield
10/01 A Leavittsburg LaBrae
10/08 A Garrettsville Garfield
10/15 H Warren Champion
10/22 A Newton Falls

They'll have 5 games under their belt before getting into the meat of their conference schedule. Salem will be a tough opener and tell a lot. I can see a 7-3 or better type of season.

Crestview lost quite literally everyone but I think 1 starter after 2018 and had 0 seniors in 2019 and managed to finish the year 5-5 with all 5 losses to playoff teams.

Crestview lost quite literally everyone but I think 1 starter after 2018 and had 0 seniors in 2019 and managed to finish the year 5-5 with all 5 losses to playoff teams.

Having good players is always important, but a stable coaching staff and a system that is run to the younger levels can win you 3-4 games a year. Look at C-View, Range, and McDonald. Arguably the 3 most successful small public school programs in our area over the last 15 years or so (Western Reserve too up until the fiasco with the HC). The 1 thing they have in common is a stable coaching staff. Those 3 coaches probably have over 60 years combined at their respective schools!

Having good players is always important, but a stable coaching staff and a system that is run to the younger levels can win you 3-4 games a year. Look at C-View, Range, and McDonald. Arguably the 3 most successful small public school programs in our area over the last 15 years or so (Western Reserve too up until the fiasco with the HC). The 1 thing they have in common is a stable coaching staff. Those 3 coaches probably have over 60 years combined at their respective schools!
Almost 70!
Thanks to Yappi Sports Wiki/Football, which appears to be pretty darn accurate, Yeagley has been at South Range for 26 years, Cusick at Crestview for 22 years, and Williams at McDonald for 21 years.
Impressive.

Agree with you. They have been great at keeping that thing going forward and they seem to be appreciated by the school and community too. I have heard they have some changes on staff, any truth to that information? I can’t see them not winning at least 5 games but they will be a much different team this year. Out of conference could be tough depending on what southern and United have coming back, but league should be manageable outside of Garfield.

Its why when these teams are down, those years are 5-5 and not 1-9. Talent comes and goes, but solid coaching will keep you decent when the talent may not all be there.

Agree with you. They have been great at keeping that thing going forward and they seem to be appreciated by the school and community too. I have heard they have some changes on staff, any truth to that information? I can’t see them not winning at least 5 games but they will be a much different team this year. Out of conference could be tough depending on what southern and United have coming back, but league should be manageable outside of Garfield.

I can't confirm or deny any changes to the staff. If there is, it may just be because someone retired or outside job changed to where they could no longer coach. I'll keep my ears open and see what I hear lol.

so crestview doesnt have many starters coming back but Garfield and Labrae have a lot coming back then? Those coaches at Garfield and Labrae have been there for a little while now too right? Remember that epic game they played in Niles?

Yea can’t be a coincidence that the top teams in this league will be the ones with the coaches who have been around the longest...Garfield, Crestview, Brookfield and Labrae. Champion will be on its 4th coach in 7 or 8 years?? I can’t even keep track of how many coaches have been through NF in last 10-15 years... and I think Liberty is on their 5th head coach in the last 10 years (Whitaker, Jones, Cylar, Allen and Simon). Difficult to do what Crestview has done with that much change at the top.

so crestview doesnt have many starters coming back but Garfield and Labrae have a lot coming back then? Those coaches at Garfield and Labrae have been there for a little while now too right? Remember that epic game they played in Niles?

Yes, very little staff changes in recent years for both schools. Same OC and DC's for years too. Moser at Garfield was on staff at Garfield for the 12 years prior to becoming Head Coach including 11 as DC so his run goes even longer. As others have pointed out, this is one of the keys to success. The kids know the staff, the staff knows the kids, and the system can be instilled in them at a young age. If you go to the MS game for any of these consistent programs mentioned, you will see a scaled down version of the same offense and defense that they run at the HS.

Yea and I think there is another coach on Garfields staff that has been there forever with Moser. And Labraes assistants have been there for a while. That always helps too

About a month until the start of the season. Haven’t heard much. McDonald opens with Brookfield, not too familiar with what the warriors have, do know they are losing Gibson which is a major loss. McDonald’s season will depend on whether they can put a line together.

springfield will be the class of the league obviously with Brungard, but they do have to replace a lot more than they did from 2019 to 2020.

What are the total number of players playing football at Springfield this year from grades 9-12 ?

Went to the Reserve meet the team. Numbers seem down. How is the rest of the league shaping up this summer?
Number wise not sure, haven't heard or seen much. From what I heard McDonald is where they've been in the 30s the last 5 or so years. Reserve has had some huge rosters the last few years so a drop off really just would put them in line with the rest of the school's their size.

Number wise not sure, haven't heard or seen much. From what I heard McDonald is where they've been in the 30s the last 5 or so years. Reserve has had some huge rosters the last few years so a drop off really just would put them in line with the rest of the school's their size.
Yes agree. Went and watched Reserve and Salem last night. The Altiere kid is special. The rest of the team has some ways to go, but Salem had no answer for that kid. He only had a couple touches and was half way to the century mark it felt like.

Went to the Reserve meet the team. Numbers seem down. How is the rest of the league shaping up this summer?
Today’s WFMJ previews can kind of answer this and both would be positive.

Ridge coach said they have 41 out, which would be a great number for them and probably the highest they’ve had in 10 years. In 2018 they only had around 21 or 22.

McDonald said they have 36, which is a good number with only 5 seniors and graduating a large senior class last year which was 14 or 15.

I hear that Springfield has 60+ out. Going to two state championships in a row builds enthusiasm. They should return to mere mortal status after this year, hopefully. As long as they have Brungard they will be the team to beat in their tier. Ridge may be a team to watch the next few years.

I hear that Springfield has 60+ out. Going to two state championships in a row builds enthusiasm. They should return to mere mortal status after this year, hopefully. As long as they have Brungard they will be the team to beat in their tier. Ridge may be a team to watch the next few years.
Yeah what the hell has gone on at Ridge??? They used to be really solid (at worst) and now they have trouble going 5-5 it seems. Are they losing kids to Fitch?

Yeah what the hell has gone on at Ridge??? They used to be really solid (at worst) and now they have trouble going 5-5 it seems. Are they losing kids to Fitch?
Ridge now is better than they were, and last year was their best team in probably 10 years. But they actually were buoyed significantly by transfers, their best player Perkins came over from Fitch plus they had a WR from Niles and another LB/TE from Fitch. All 3 have graduated now.

Ridge now is better than they were, and last year was their best team in probably 10 years. But they actually were buoyed significantly by transfers, their best player Perkins came over from Fitch plus they had a WR from Niles and another LB/TE from Fitch. All 3 have graduated now.
I remember they had a D1 running back in 2011 and 12 that came from Austintown. He left Ridge his senior year for Glenville, and ended up as the starting RB for Indiana a few years later. I can't remember his name though.