MVAC 2021

GridironGod

Springfield is the obvious favorite until young Mr. Brungard graduates (seems like he's been there 10 years!). However, I am interested to see what Coach Lude and company at Western Reserve can do with a full off season and minus the covid madness. McDonald is supposed to be down but I have heard that before and then Coach Williams gets them ready and they compete very well. Lowellville has a talented quarterback and some receivers returning. If they can develop a run game they may surprise some people. Mineral Ridge is trending the right direction and played some good football at times last season. Jackson Milton was also solid and had more good than bad moments last year. Sebring and Waterloo obviously need to do some work to improve but at least Sebring's numbers were much better last year.

What are everyone's predictions/thoughts. I know we are looking forward to a season free of Covid restrictions.

No doubt Springfield will destroy that league. No close games... What about on the other side? That side is more interesting with a few teams that can take it!
Labrae, Garfield, Crestview???

The only question is how much does Springfield win by each week in their tier of this conference. Reserve should be decent and probably the 2nd best team in that tier. Garfield is the favorite in the other tier. They return a bunch off of a pretty good team. LaBrae returns a lot and appeared to play better down the stretch until their loss to Reserve after the playoffs. Crestview is always tough but graduated quite a bit.

Springfield is head and shoulders above everyone else in their division of the conference. WR and Ridge could be the battle for second. McDonald is going to take a big step back. Lowellville has a very good quarterback but also possibly the worst defense I've ever seen. They'll win some with offense alone but will get trounced by the big boys.

Garfield and Labrae will battle it out on the other side. Would be a very interesting match up. I think the G-Men are still going to be big up front. Labrae has athletes. Should be a good one. Brookfield loses a ton. Crestview could be a wildcard.

Scarlet will be all Springfield. Not sure if the tigers will be state championship caliber again, they lose quite a bit. But with 21 and other good players they’ll win the league and compete for the region title. Reserve is solidly 2nd, they return a decent amount.

As I’ve mentioned, McDonald is facing very uncertain times (not just football, boys and girls basketball are going to be way down too next year). They’ll have a solid backfield with Gilligan back at rb and Hawk to QB plus 2 freshman skill guys that showed a lot of potential this year. The biggest issue is going to be the lines, only 1 returning starter, and really not many lineman at all that will be in 11 and 12 grade. Wouldn’t be surprised if they start 3 sophomores up front. I still think they can be the 3rd best team in the league and win 5-7 games.

Ridge and Milton both lose a ton from this year. Lowellville with Ballone at qb and the Bunofsky kid at WR have a solid building block but they desperately need better line play

Scarlet will be all Springfield. Not sure if the tigers will be state championship caliber again, they lose quite a bit. But with 21 and other good players they’ll win the league and compete for the region title. Reserve is solidly 2nd, they return a decent amount.

As I’ve mentioned, McDonald is facing very uncertain times (not just football, boys and girls basketball are going to be way down too next year). They’ll have a solid backfield with Gilligan back at rb and Hawk to QB plus 2 freshman skill guys that showed a lot of potential this year. The biggest issue is going to be the lines, only 1 returning starter, and really not many lineman at all that will be in 11 and 12 grade. Wouldn’t be surprised if they start 3 sophomores up front. I still think they can be the 3rd best team in the league and win 5-7 games.

Ridge and Milton both lose a ton from this year. Lowellville with Ballone at qb and the Bunofsky kid at WR have a solid building block but they desperately need better line play
I actually feel for the Ballone kid. He is very talented but the players around him are just not ready for varsity football. I wouldn't feel comfortable playing some of the guys they had playing defense towards the end of our game.

I actually feel for the Ballone kid. He is very talented but the players around him are just not ready for varsity football. I wouldn't feel comfortable playing some of the guys they had playing defense towards the end of our game.

For sure, he has great size, athleticism, and an arm, he could start at a lot of places. If he stays at Lowellville it’ll be basketball where they’ll have a chance to make a run and be good, they start like 4 sophomore including him.

For sure, he has great size, athleticism, and an arm, he could start at a lot of places. If he stays at Lowellville it’ll be basketball where they’ll have a chance to make a run and be good, they start like 4 sophomore including him.
Considering his brother went to mooney idk. There used to be a poster on here with intimate knowledge of this situation.

With no line you’re rarely gonna win meaningful games no matter who you have at the skill positions. Look at all the tests liberty had tremendous talent, and would usually lose to Hubbard solely in the trenches

I'm glad people mentioned the other tier. Because I am more attuned to WR's opponents I tend to forget about those schools. The G-Men and LaBrae should be a game to watch. I have heard people say that Springfield should be moved to the other tier of the league. For the last 3 years that may have worked but after their quarterback leaves I have to think they will return to earth. That being said they have alway played Brookfield and I understand they scrimmage Liberty and Campbell so I am sure they could complete with those schools

I say just re-align the league and put C-View, Garfield, LaBrae, McDonald, Springfield, WR, Brookfield, and one of Liberty/Champion/Campbell. That would be a nice league.

Springfield would beat everyone from the gray tier too. Maybe GG or LaBrae give them a game this year but I’d still take Springfield. Gray tier is easy to predict...Labrae, Brookfield and GG will be competitive and NF, Champion and Campbell won’t. Unpredictable teams would be Crestview and Liberty.

I say just re-align the league and put C-View, Garfield, LaBrae, McDonald, Springfield, WR, Brookfield, and one of Liberty/Champion/Campbell. That would be a nice league.
Would love to see this...but I can think of 20 reasons it won’t happen. I really doubt you see much realignment mostly because no one will want to be the bottom 2-3 teams in that super tier.

Looking more and more like Waterloo should have stayed in the Portage county division. They would now be D5 with local rivals Ravenna Southeast and Rootstown and be bigger than D6 Mogadore and newcomer St. Thomas and D7 Warren JFK. And for a district will severe financial problems they may swing back some voters who don't see or like the added transportation costs and very small gates..

Looking more and more like Waterloo should have stayed in the Portage county division. They would now be D5 with local rivals Ravenna Southeast and Rootstown and be bigger than D6 Mogadore and newcomer St. Thomas and D7 Warren JFK. And for a district will severe financial problems they may swing back some voters who don't see or like the added transportation costs and very small gates..
The following is not meant to offend the players or coaches from Waterloo. The state of their football program is such that they would not complete in any league. The only team last year that they had a legitimate shot against was Sebring a small D7 school. They should probably move to the closest least expensive (travel wise) league they can and take their lumps. I suspect they are in the MVAC for hoops. The scarlet tier of the league is usually really competitive at basketball, there are very few weak sisters. If that's the case, then so be it but they will continue to get destroyed at football unless something changes.

I wonder why a school of that size can't recruit players and field a competitive team. Even a bad DV program should be around .500 against all DVI and DVII schools. Maybe its a just a down cycle for them. All public schools go through them. Anyone have any inside scoop on the Waterloo football woes.

The following is not meant to offend the players or coaches from Waterloo. The state of their football program is such that they would not complete in any league. The only team last year that they had a legitimate shot against was Sebring a small D7 school. They should probably move to the closest least expensive (travel wise) league they can and take their lumps. I suspect they are in the MVAC for hoops. The scarlet tier of the league is usually really competitive at basketball, there are very few weak sisters. If that's the case, then so be it but they will continue to get destroyed at football unless something changes.

I wonder why a school of that size can't recruit players and field a competitive team. Even a bad DV program should be around .500 against all DVI and DVII schools. Maybe its a just a down cycle for them. All public schools go through them. Anyone have any inside scoop on the Waterloo football woes.

Waterloo won 4 games, albeit Sebring is the only conference game they had a shot to win. They beat Windham, East Palestine, Mathews, and Newton Falls.

As for the PTC, I’m sure Waterloo is glad they left and are in a league that has 8 teams that is doing well compared to the PTC that is seemingly hanging on by a thread.

Waterloo won 4 games, albeit Sebring is the only conference game they had a shot to win. They beat Windham, East Palestine, Mathews, and Newton Falls.

As for the PTC, I’m sure Waterloo is glad they left and are in a league that has 8 teams that is doing well compared to the PTC that is seemingly hanging on by a thread.
Not sure a league that now boasts 6 state titles and 11 state runners up in football would be classified as hanging on by a thread.

Not sure a league that now boasts 6 state titles and 11 state runners up in football would be classified as hanging on by a thread.

Im not talking about the quality of the schools on the field, the PTC is clearly very strong in that regard. But more so all the changes that have occurred and stability of the league. I hope it works out, should be interesting and good competition. Maybe hanging by a thread was a bit much after the additions of jfk and sta, but there’s absolutely uncertainty

I’ve been saying for years Lowellville and Campbell need to join in some way, I know it’ll never happen, Lowellville is a certain type of breed over there, but campbells coach also just quit again

I’ve been saying for years Lowellville and Campbell need to join in some way, I know it’ll never happen, Lowellville is a certain type of breed over there, but campbells coach also just quit again
Yeah, Campbell is a mess. I thought that of Sikora stuck around he might be able to improve the Red Devils.

Waterloo has historically had bad football teams. They had great basketball teams and girls sports were solid and competitive. That is why the community can't understand the switch in leagues. They wanted to dodge Mogadore in football yet play Springfield and McDonald along with other teams who drill them. Still think the community would rally around them financially if they saw the district was seriously trying to save money in all areas not just student programs and cutting busing...

Who are some names of players to watch out for in both leagues? WR had the Altiere kid last year. He was the breakout of the season. Luke Henning is the name to watch behind center out there.

Who are some names of players to watch out for in both leagues? WR had the Altiere kid last year. He was the breakout of the season. Luke Henning is the name to watch behind center out there.
Gilligan at McDonald should be pretty much their whole team.