MSNBC: American flag is “disturbing”

You do realize that I am not a self-aware .jpg file, right?
Yes, you are a mask wearing sheep....

dog sheep GIF

She specifically identified the American flag as "also just disturbing".

You can spin it however you wish....... and you will
I do think she's engaging in some stereotyping, which is less problematic for us randoms on a high school sports message board, but pretty irresponsible for a cable news journalist to say on air. Regardless, I think I get her point.

Put it like this, if you saw a pickup truck driving on the road with a dozen American flags flying from the back in today's political and social climate, would you think:

A) That guy must be really patriotic and believe in everything America stands for.
B) That's kind of weird/disturbing/corny. What's that guy really trying to say?
C) Something else.

Last edited:
I do think she's engaging in some stereotyping, which is less problematic for us randoms on a high school sports message board, but pretty irresponsible for a cable news journalist to say on our. Regardless, I think I get her point.

Put it like this, if you saw a pickup truck driving on the road with a dozen American flags flying from the back in today's political and social climate, would you think:

A) That guy must be really patriotic and believe in everything America stands for.
C) Something else.
I find it hard to believe you don't see the problem. How is this any different than me seeing a black dude in a big black Cadillac and finding it disturbing because he has to be a drug dealer? How else could he possibly afford a Cadillac? This idiot found the flags and bumper stickers disturbing because to her they were symbols of racism which is just plain stupid and racist in it's own regard. The fact that these other idiots on MSNBC supported her idiotic stance only furthers the problem.

I find it hard to believe you don't see the problem. How is this any different than me seeing a black dude in a big black Cadillac and finding it disturbing because he has to be a drug dealer? How else could he possibly afford a Cadillac? This idiot found the flags and bumper stickers disturbing because to her they were symbols of racism which is just plain stupid and racist in it's own regard. The fact that these other idiots on MSNBC supported her idiotic stance only furthers the problem.
I did say I thought she was stereotyping and that it was an irresponsible thing to say on air.

That said, there's a difference between "flags and bumper stickers are symbols of racism" and "that person is using flags and bumper stickers as symbols of racism."

I do think she's engaging in some stereotyping, which is less problematic for us randoms on a high school sports message board, but pretty irresponsible for a cable news journalist to say on air. Regardless, I think I get her point.

C) Something else.
Mostly A.

Reactions: y2h

C) Something else.
D) Virtue signaling

I did say I thought she was stereotyping and that it was an irresponsible thing to say on air.

That said, there's a difference between "flags and bumper stickers are symbols of racism" and "that person is using flags and bumper stickers as symbols of racism."
There is also a difference between assuming and knowing how the person is using them. If she had seen those flags or bumper stickers on the car or truck of a black man would she have been so disturbed. She made assumptions about people, based on their skin color, which is prejudice at best, racist at worst and then was allowed to air it on a national news network. You continuing to offer any type of defense is no different than what you have condemned so many "Trumplicans" on this site for in the past. This is not okay and it does nothing to unify this country which was suppose to be the left's main agenda during the campaign season. If you can't see that you are no better than those who have blindly supported Trump, you just happen to sit on the other side of the aisle.

There is also a difference between assuming and knowing how the person is using them. If she had seen those flags or bumper stickers on the car or truck of a black man would she have been so disturbed. She made assumptions about people, based on their skin color, which is prejudice at best, racist at worst and then was allowed to air it on a national news network. You continuing to offer any type of defense is no different than what you have condemned so many "Trumplicans" on this site for in the past. This is not okay and it does nothing to unify this country which was suppose to be the left's main agenda during the campaign season. If you can't see that you are no better than those who have blindly supported Trump, you just happen to sit on the other side of the aisle.
I have twice identified what she said as stereotyping.

Using the American flag to symbolize that is what she finds disturbing.
I would say she has misrepresented the flag to symbolize something that she doesn't like. That is on her.

The American flag represents all of us and most of us see it that way. The last few years that has changed a little as some people have used it as a negative symbol to attack people. Those people and their ideas will go away but the flag will still be here.

I can remember last year when Mara Gay went on TV and insisted that instead of spending $500 million on TV ads, Mike Bloomberg "could have given every American $1 million and had money left over."

Turnoffs: "American flags and that math thingy"

?
I thought that as Brian Williams?

We have a guy in my town who drives around w/ one of those. F Biden and F You For Voting For Him. (They're all over Amazon). And of course accompanied with the American Flag and Trump Flag - to verify his patriotism.
There werent liberals with the same sentiment towards Trump and his voters?

Last edited:
No. She's not saying that the American flag is disturbing. If that's the case, the American flag flying at my dad's house right next to his "Bye Don" flag is disturbing. If that's the case, the American flags in the stands in Denver for USA/Mexico soccer the other night were disturbing. If that's the case, every Fourth of July parade and festival across country is disturbing. Do you truly believe that's what Mara Gay's saying? Truly?

The American flag represents a lot of different things to different people. It could represent someone's grandfather who stormed the Normandy beaches at D-day. It could represent the opportunity to make a new life after immigrating from the other side of the world. It could represent the freedom to worship who you want to worship and love who you want to love. And for some people, call them the Kaepernick followers, it represents a nation that might not be living up to its ideals. I think it is naive to not believe there is also not a small subset of people who feel the way Mara Gay describes - that America = white conservatism, and it belongs to no one else. Using the American flag to symbolize that is what she finds disturbing.
She ascribes malice to people she's never met. She automatically assumes if you have a Trump flag next to your American flag or apparently drive a pickup with an American flag you are a racist.

She is a fool.

These are fine questions. I don't know that I agree with Mara Gay, but I get the point she's trying to arrive to.

For the sake of the crowd that makes sport out of railing on "liberal media", it's important to note that she is not saying "American flag = bad"
the second sentence appears to me to be a defense of her statement. if I'm wrong so be it. her point is idiotic.

C) Something else.
Put it like this....

If I see a pickup, car, bus, trailer, plane pulling a banner with a dozen American Flags.........

I don't think about the political climate.... I'd just say.... "that's a lot of flags"......... and get on with what I'm doing.