More Obese Children Should Get Weight-Loss Surgery, Doctors Say

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
About 4.5 million American children are severely obese, and pediatricians say more of them should be recommended to get weight-loss surgery.

A new policy statement from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) asserts that the obesity epidemic now places many children and adolescents at risk of living significantly shorter lives than their parents. While pediatricians can help patients lose weight through lifestyle changes, these adjustments often don't result in significant or lasting improvements in children with severe obesity, who may be more than a hundred pounds overweight, according to the paper, published Oct. 27 in the journal Pediatrics.

Are pediatricians going to perform those surgeries for free? It seems odd that these doctors would propose an expensive procedure to solve a problem that they would personally benefit from...…. It seems like it would be cheaper and more beneficial to require that kids get x hours of outside play time each and every day, or that they must play an organized sport for 2 seasons each year, or that the pass the Presidential Fitness Exam before advancing to the next grade...…..

Most prepared packaged food is slow death. From plain old “cane sugar”, to “corn syrup solids” and “modified food starch”, there are about 30 different ways that the FDA permits the food industry to name sugar. Food is often engineered to hit the “bliss point “, which brings that sweet sugar satisfaction. Consequently, in spite of the fact that the single highest ingredient in a lot of what kids eat should solely be listed as “general high glycemic index carbohydrate slop”, I think many parents miss the fact that the middle four ingredients on the label are different forms of sugar. Most consumers don’t realize that they’ve hit 100% daily carb intake for a sedentary slug by halfway through their lunch - even though carbs are counted on the labels.

So, busy two-income families buy a ton of prepared packaged food, kids don’t go outside and get a game together unless it’s a scheduled organized activity, the recess ladies don’t want to let the kids do anything fun or rough because the administration a-holes only care about not being sued, and the stupid State BOE thinks Art or Music are more important than Phys Ed because those queer teachers are more aggressive at demanding their jobs be preserved.

Now the doctors, who not only are expected to follow PC, typically have to follow “CC”- Corporate Correctness - because they don’t want to pizz off the Big Food Industry. They may as well get paid to carve the kids up, amirite ? It’s like a doctor that assumes a patient won’t eat right and exercise, so they just throw a blood pressure med at them. Don’t want to scold them and pizz em off - they’ll be an appointment in some other Drs book.

As long as it’s an FDA approved solution, all good. So go lobby the FDA, right ?

Last edited:
Most prepared packaged food is slow death. From plain old “cane sugar”, to “corn syrup solids” and “modified food starch”, there are about 30 different ways that the FDA permits the food industry to name sugar. Food is often engineered to hit the “bliss point “, which brings that sweet sugar satisfaction. Consequently, in spite of the fact that the single highest ingredient in a lot of what kids eat should solely be listed as “general high glycemic index carbohydrate slop”, I think many parents miss the fact that the middle four ingredients on the label are different forms of sugar. Most consumers don’t realize that they’ve hit 100% daily carb intake for a sedentary slug by halfway through their lunch - even though carbs are counted on the labels.

So, busy two-income families buy a ton of prepared packaged food, kids don’t go outside and get a game together unless it’s a scheduled organized activity, the recess ladies don’t want to let the kids do anything fun or rough because the administration a-holes only care about not being sued, and the stupid State BOE thinks Art or Music are more important than Phys Ed because those queer teachers are more aggressive at demanding their jobs be preserved.

Now the doctors, who not only are expected to follow PC, typically have to follow “CC”- Corporate Correctness - because they don’t want to pizz off the Big Food Industry. They may as well get paid to carve the kids up, amirite ? It’s like a doctor that assumes a patient won’t eat right and exercise, so they just throw a blood pressure med at them. Don’t want to scold them and pizz em off - they’ll be an appointment in some other Drs book.

As long as it’s an FDA approved solution, all good. So go lobby the FDA, right ?

It's truly a double-edged sword. Processed and artificially sweetened foods are bad on their own, but when you combine that with little to no exercise, the results are exponentially worse.

It took me a lot of trial and error but I've been able to find cost effective ways to significantly cut down on preservatives and artificial sweeteners in my diet. I'm to cheap/lazy to completely eliminate them, but as long as my 40 time is faster than the slowest NFL lineman at the combine, I'm content with the McDoubles in my diet.

The FDA and CDC have obviously been corrupted by food industry and prescription drug lobbyists. I think a lot of doctors mean well but are too naive to go against Big Government and do what's right. Ignore the government's "new guidelines" on what's healthy and eat what's been healthy for humans for thousands of years. And exercise. Man that's sure some radical advice.

Are pediatricians going to perform those surgeries for free? It seems odd that these doctors would propose an expensive procedure to solve a problem that they would personally benefit from...…. It seems like it would be cheaper and more beneficial to require that kids get x hours of outside play time each and every day, or that they must play an organized sport for 2 seasons each year, or that the pass the Presidential Fitness Exam before advancing to the next grade...…..
Not really, the dairy people tell us all the time we should drink more milk, especially the chocolate milk people. The united beef council pushes beef and steaks... Our biggest issue is we have a very sedative culture. Sitting, resting, sleeping. Many people's work is sitting now, not working in fields or on an assembly line on their feet. You can actually eat a poor diet, IF you exercise. Many kids metabolism is fast, some are not, but for most kids, they eat eat eat and don't gain weight. Well, when those same people get 25-30-35, they eat the same, the metabolism slows down and you get fat!

Go to the grocery store and see what people have in their carts. There is a direct correlation between income level and education and what people purchase to eat.

I have no problem giving kids gut surgery but you have to attack the underlying issue of how that kid got there in the first place.

Sugar should be treated as a drug. It reacts the same in the brain as a drug and it is addicting. When I was growing up I had very limited access to sugary foods/drinks and everyone was skinny. Heck our fat kids growing up would not even be considered fat by today's standards. Today, kids consume WAY too much sugar.

Go to the grocery store and see what people have in their carts. There is a direct correlation between income level and education and what people purchase to eat.

I have no problem giving kids gut surgery but you have to attack the underlying issue of how that kid got there in the first place.

Sugar should be treated as a drug. It reacts the same in the brain as a drug and it is addicting. When I was growing up I had very limited access to sugary foods/drinks and everyone was skinny. Heck our fat kids growing up would not even be considered fat by today's standards. Today, kids consume WAY too much sugar.
So the drug problem was fixed when we outlawed it? Sometimes you make my head hurt

Who said legislate? How simple can you be? You saw the word drug and instantly thought of illicit drugs and the "war" on drugs and then pounced as the troll you are.

Stating that sugar should be treated like a drug has nothing to do with illicit drugs or anything "outlawed" or "legislated." The body's reaction to sugar fits the definition of a drug.

Drug /dreg/ noun: a medicine or other substance which has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body.

And for the record I am against any drug being illegal. I think the "war on drugs" has been a giant failure. Our approach to illegal drugs & legal drugs needs to change the same as our approach to mental illness and addiction but that is another topic.

If your head hurts it is more than likely self induced.

I don't think anyone mentioned government involvement in limiting access to sugar, Z. Say NO to sugar. Tis all being said.

Yikes, maybe we ought to look into caffeine ingestion?

I'd say it's more of a case of people don't want to do their own cooking anymore.

If someone is paying you to cook for them, you want it to taste good so they keep coming back.

OK.

The 2016 FDA budget for food alone was one billion ten million dollars. There are most certainly many “expert level” salaries in there.

Don’t you think we should expect some actual useful nutritional guidance for common people to come from them ? Even today, there is still an inclination to trust “the government”. I think it’s a damn shame that all the info on a food ingredient label can be so deceptively arranged that one practically has to read it like a lawyer.

It seems in hindsight that the European nutritional guidelines that are more permissive of fats and don’t force-feed starches actually produce thinner citizens with less clogged arteries than does the American version.

Go figure. Bureaucracy serving citizens before agri-biz is better for citizens.

I don't think anyone mentioned government involvement in limiting access to sugar, Z. Say NO to sugar. Tis all being said.

Yikes, maybe we ought to look into caffeine ingestion?

Cleveland Clinic has - extensively. Coffee in moderation is suggested. Red wine, too.

Last edited:
What exactly were you insinuating then, when you said “treat it like a drug” You can’t legislate away stupidity
No, but you can easily mandate that a trusted government agency in charge of food labeling honestly identify what the body processes as sugar in all its forms.

Who said legislate? How simple can you be? You saw the word drug and instantly thought of illicit drugs and the "war" on drugs and then pounced as the troll you are.

Stating that sugar should be treated like a drug has nothing to do with illicit drugs or anything "outlawed" or "legislated." The body's reaction to sugar fits the definition of a drug.

Drug /dreg/ noun: a medicine or other substance which has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body.

And for the record I am against any drug being illegal. I think the "war on drugs" has been a giant failure. Our approach to illegal drugs & legal drugs needs to change the same as our approach to mental illness and addiction but that is another topic.

If your head hurts it is more than likely self induced.
Your first post wasn’t very clear, don’t think I’m the only one who thought you were speaking of illegals

Sugar is but one part of the problem. It is too many carbs, and not enough fat. The food pyramid is complete bunk. There is a direct correlation between the current food pyramid and the increase in obesity, and all the issues it brings with it. This woman studied the issue for 10 years. It is long, but very informative.

The research shows that people followed the government guidelines and got fatter and sicker.

Sugar is but one part of the problem. It is too many carbs, and not enough fat. The food pyramid is complete bunk. There is a direct correlation between the current food pyramid and the increase in obesity, and all the issues it brings with it. This woman studied the issue for 10 years. It is long, but very informative.

The research shows that people followed the government guidelines and got fatter and sicker.
Yup

The French got it right, and we got it wrong.

When they won’t let us sell their people our meat, we should really skip right past being insulted to being concerned about what we may be allowing our big agri-businesses to do to us in the name of profit margins.

Last edited:

Cost is relative. Potentially weight loss surgery costs less than caring for the chronic medical issues associated with someone who is morbidly obese from childhood on.

Yup

The French got it right, and we got it wrong.

When they won’t let us sell their people our meat, we should really skip right past being insulted to being concerned about what we may be allowing our big agri-businesses to do to us in the name of profit margins.
What do you think "Big Agri-business" may be doing to you?

I'm not real happy with the medical professions as a whole. years ago, had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high triglycerides....was given lots of pills and told not to eat red meat. Gained about 60 pounds. Talked to someone about doing things "natural" and quit taking the drugs and took the natural ingredients and my liver cleaned up and started losing the weight. Wife still thinks red meat is bad, so that is why I visit the local grocery store (which by the way has some great steak prices most of the time) and get me a steak for Friday lunches.

I'm not real happy with the medical professions as a whole. years ago, had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high triglycerides....was given lots of pills and told not to eat red meat. Gained about 60 pounds. Talked to someone about doing things "natural" and quit taking the drugs and took the natural ingredients and my liver cleaned up and started losing the weight. Wife still thinks red meat is bad, so that is why I visit the local grocery store (which by the way has some great steak prices most of the time) and get me a steak for Friday lunches.
The only reason you have been told to worry about your cholesterol is so drug companies can sell you drugs to lower it. High cholesterol is not an issue.