MLB to allow pitchers, catchers to use anti-sign-stealing technology during regular season

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Pitchers and catchers will have the option of using newly tested signaling devices as they decide what pitches to throw in the upcoming regular season, industry sources told ESPN.

This technology could help to advance Major League Baseball beyond the risk of the sign-stealing scandals that have plagued the sport in the past decade.

Sources tell ESPN that MLB sent a memo Tuesday advising teams about the approved usage of devices referred to within the industry as PitchCom. Using a pad with buttons on the wrist of the gloved hand, a catcher can signal pitches -- pitch type and location -- directly to the pitcher through a listening device.

I'm sure the new technology will be flawless, will not ever fail and cause a big delay in a game. Should be great for the game. Or not.

Wondering if they have tested it with 40,000 cell phones in the stadium disrupting signals?

Also wondering how long it takes for someone to hack it and have the opposing dugout picking up the signal? The article did not mention signal encryption, and it probably isn't encrypted if it is simply an earpiece on the pitchers end. Hacks seem inevitable.

I'm sure the new technology will be flawless, will not ever fail and cause a big delay in a game. Should be great for the game. Or not.

Wondering if they have tested it with 40,000 cell phones in the stadium disrupting signals?

Also wondering how long it takes for someone to hack it and have the opposing dugout picking up the signal? The article did not mention signal encryption, and it probably isn't encrypted if it is simply an earpiece on the pitchers end. Hacks seem inevitable.
I agree, wouldn't it just be easier to have a couple of sets of signals, like always or an indicator. Sign stealing has happened in baseball since it's beginning.

The continuation of the wussification of MLB. This is why hardly anyone is watching or going to the games.

So far it’s sped up the game with very few issues.

You’ve also had pitchers intentionally balk to move guys off second so they couldn’t steal signs. Obviously those teams weren’t using the new system