Minster (10-2) vs Marion Local (12-0)

12% chance for the Flyers, eh? I can respect that. Hell, I ranked them #8 in one of the polls this season. But that was a poll. We're into the playoffs now. This is for real. Take your 12% chance and stick it! lol
Well when ya have an Ansonia at 71% there's not much else to go round....

Pantherskin - Dude.

Not at ALL knocking Minster here, but 2020 Cards, 2021 ML, and 2022 Cards/ML beat Versailles. That was a HUGE feat for those squads and shouldn't be undervalued when comparing teams across different years. I truly believe that NB's 2020 victory over Versailles is exactly what propelled that team the rest of the season. Minster not beating Versailles doesn't mean everything but it definitely means something. (Especially when comparing purely hypothetical things like this)

Pantherskin - Dude.

Not at ALL knocking Minster here, but 2020 Cards, 2021 ML, and 2022 Cards/ML beat Versailles. That was a HUGE feat for those squads and shouldn't be undervalued when comparing teams across different years. I truly believe that NB's 2020 victory over Versailles is exactly what propelled that team the rest of the season. Minster not beating Versailles doesn't mean everything but it definitely means something. (Especially when comparing purely hypothetical things like this)
My point, if you go back and read all of the thread is this is the 2023 D7 State Championship. I do not believe there is another team at the same level as Marion or Minster. These two teams are the class of Region 28 and the last 4 years ‘19, ‘20, ‘21 & ‘22 Region 28 has dominated D7 and will again this year. My belief is this year’s Marion team is without a doubt as good or better than any of those 4 and this Minster team is on par with any of those four. I understand the ‘beating Versailles’ argument but, in 2019 they were 3-7 and in 2020 5-3 and only beat 1 team with a winning record. That win for Bremen was probably more of a mental boost than anything else.

My point, if you go back and read all of the thread is this is the 2023 D7 State Championship. I do not believe there is another team at the same level as Marion or Minster. These two teams are the class of Region 28 and the last 4 years ‘19, ‘20, ‘21 & ‘22 Region 28 has dominated D7 and will again this year. My belief is this year’s Marion team is without a doubt as good or better than any of those 4 and this Minster team is on par with any of those four. I understand the ‘beating Versailles’ argument but, in 2019 they were 3-7 and in 2020 5-3 and only beat 1 team with a winning record. That win for Bremen was probably more of a mental boost than anything else.
Mental BOOST... is big in any sporting event... The game a couple weeks ago gave the Cats a mental boost, they went toe to toe with a VERY good Versailles team... holding that team to under 100 yards rushing, was impressive. One PERSON on here gave Minster no credit for hanging with the Tigers, saying that the Tigers were still down from the week before when they got beat.... of course he wasn't at the Minster- Versailles game, but it was a battle the WHOLE game. Are the Cats underdogs in this game with the Flyers, of course they are..... should be a great game.... for them to be sitting 10-2 without possibly the best player in the league unable to play since the Anna game... credit to the kids and the coaches !!

Yeah, probably more of a mental boost than a true gauge but that's sort of my point at the same time. After that game in 2020, NB had an insane amount of confidence in their game and took that confidence to ML in the playoffs. Minster is playing with supreme confidence as well right now and maybe I'm making the same mistake in underselling a close loss to a great Versailles team. There's really no way of knowing until we see what happens on Friday night!
I truly do think Goodwin will make sure the kids know what happened in 2010 and will remind them about what happened in 2020. ML got punched in the nose and bled 3 years ago and I don't think they liked it too much because they have been a complete wrecking crew ever since.

But it's all a moot point, Ansonia is obviously taking this region...

I'm going with:

Marion Local 28
Minster 7

I agree with many that this is essentially the R28 Final. I would favor the winner of this game to win the region.

Beating Versailles (the eventual D6 champs) in 2021 and finishing undefeated was something none of those other teams did.

Yeah, probably more of a mental boost than a true gauge but that's sort of my point at the same time. After that game in 2020, NB had an insane amount of confidence in their game and took that confidence to ML in the playoffs. Minster is playing with supreme confidence as well right now and maybe I'm making the same mistake in underselling a close loss to a great Versailles team. There's really no way of knowing until we see what happens on Friday night!
I truly do think Goodwin will make sure the kids know what happened in 2010 and will remind them about what happened in 2020. ML got punched in the nose and bled 3 years ago and I don't think they liked it too much because they have been a complete wrecking crew ever since.

But it's all a moot point, Ansonia is obviously taking this region...
Let's look at who played whom. 95% of all sports writers say ML as state champs.

Marion wins this one, just to get steamrolled by Ansonia next week.
back off dynasties GIF by BBC America

That is your belief, but the 21-team had Otte, Hess, Meier, Buschur, on defense 3 of the 4 were All Ohio (one point in their careers) and Buschur was one of the best DE's ML has ever had. On offense a line that was led by Topp and Rose both at some time All Ohio and led by Peyton Otte who had an incredible will to win. This current Marion Local team is very good but does not have the overall talent that 21 team had esp. defensively after they (21 team) got Buschur and Hess back for the playoffs. This Flyer team has a lot of skill players on the outside led by Hoelscher who is outstanding and just overmatches lesser competition. But I believe if the Flyers face a good running team and some bad weather, they will have a close game maybe this Friday. However, if you are going to beat the Flyers better do it this year as they are jr. dominated and the JV team went undefeated with maybe one close game.

Edit: Topp was All Ohio on D-line.

Last edited:
That is your belief, but the 21-team had Otte, Hess, Meier, Buschur, on defense 3 of the 4 were All Ohio (one point in their careers) and Buschur was one of the best DE's ML has ever had. On offense a line that was led by Topp and Rose both at some time All Ohio and led by Peyton Otte who had an incredible will to win. This current Marion Local team is very good but does not have the overall talent that 21 team had esp. defensively after they (21 team) got Buschur and Hess back for the playoffs. This Flyer team has a lot of skill players on the outside led by Hoelscher who is outstanding and just overmatches lesser competition. But I believe if the Flyers face a good running team and some bad weather, they will have a close game maybe this Friday. However, if you are going to beat the Flyers better do it this year as they are jr. dominated and the JV team went undefeated with maybe one close game.
That great 2021 team allowed 9.8 points per game in the regular season while averaging 30.0 scored.

The 2023 team allowed 8.9 points per game while scoring 41.3 per game.

While they had great players you have to say this team is at least comparable? Also that 2021 team was coming off the 2020 season being the only Marion team to lose to a D7 opponent. They had something to prove.

At the end of the day we are arguing over who is better Batman of Superman. Marion will win D7 again this year with Friday being the only chance they have at being beat.

It's generally easier to measure a current team against past teams after the current team has completed the playoffs. Though highly unlikely, it is still possible the 2023 Flyers will have defeated the D3 champs, D5 champs and D6 champs. They've beaten 2 state champs in a season, but never 3. I'd have to give them the nod over 2021 if something like that happens. But as it stands, Wapak is a heavy underdog to win D3. Coldwater is a semi-heavy underdog in D5 and I consider Versailles an underdog against Kirtland. See how things shake out before comparing to teams from past years.

It's generally easier to measure a current team against past teams after the current team has completed the playoffs. Though highly unlikely, it is still possible the 2023 Flyers will have defeated the D3 champs, D5 champs and D6 champs. They've beaten 2 state champs in a season, but never 3. I'd have to give them the nod over 2021 if something like that happens. But as it stands, Wapak is a heavy underdog to win D3. Coldwater is a semi-heavy underdog in D5 and I consider Versailles an underdog against Kirtland. See how things shake out before comparing to teams from past years.
If MInster wins Friday and runs the table afterwards, ML will have beaten the D7 champs as well. MVP could sell a lot of shirts! ;)

The last time Marion Local failed to make a regional final was 2010 in a loss to Minster. Before we make too much of Marion Local's 35 point win over Minster in week 3, let's remember Marion Local coincidentally beat Minster by 35 points in their 2010 regular season meeting. Can Minster turn the tables this time?
No.

I agree always easier at the end, if Marion does end up losing I’m going to look like an idiot. I agree with Stirred that 21 team was impressive, especially when they got everyone healthy. But I stand by this Marion and Minster team aren’t far off from the last 4 MAC D7 champs and will have little competition after this week.