Midwest Athletic Conference 2023

Who Wins The MAC in 2023?

• Total voters
Unless my memory is bad and it very well could be, I believe that Marion has not played Parkway the last 2 years so they would be on the schedule again next year.
Unless they were the last team again. I dont know if there is any provision stating that it has to be a diff team.

I heard some talk in other threads...are they going away from arbiter soon?

Really? I thought that it rotates every 2 years regardless so I thought Parkway would come back on and then the second worst during that time would fall off. The more you know.
Truth.
It goes on how you finish, as I think it should go. It gives some teams who are having a tough time a break and hopefully find a team they can beat for that second OOC, and the better teams chance to find an opponent that will push them and get them more points if they should win.

It is not some arbitrary BS rotation.

This "system" seems to be working out very well. Minster struggled for a bit and didn't have to play Coldwater the last two seasons and that helps get a team back over the hump. I see SH having a bit of that "luck" coming their way as well with not having to play either Ver or CW while they are also looking to be a team on the rise. Well thought out plan, kudos to the AD's that put this together.
I think y'all MAC folks give too much credit to this scheduling system. I'm not saying the scheduling system is bad; I'm saying I think there are more important variables other than skipping one singular league foe during one singular week of a ten week football season.

As an outsider, it's bizarre to me that such a strong, tight-knit, prideful small school league would voluntarily choose not to compete against its own members. 9-1 Coldwater missing out on 8-2 Minster this year. Versailles-Coldwater in 2021. Personally, it seems pretty clear that these football programs bounce back much quicker than this two-year dead period and for reasons that have less to do with who you do or don't play. Ultimately, if MAC coaches, players, and fans like the system then that's all that matters.

Was poking around Arbiter today, and saw the Minster - Fort Loramie Week 1 game for next season is listed as canceled. Most of Fort Loramie's games were (due to their move to the NWC, I am sure), but that one surprised me (their Week 2 game against Versailles was still listed as happening).

Any idea if it is true? Also, does anyone know if next year's schedule has been released yet? I do not know what tweaks the AD's have made to the system, but my rough calculations show the following teams will not play the next two years:
#1 Marion Local - #10 Parkway
#2 Coldwater - #8/9 Fort Recovery or #8/9 St. Henry
#3 Versailles - #8/9 Fort Recovery or #8/9 St. Henry
#4 Minster - #7 Delphos St. John's
#5 New Bremen - #6 Anna
Canceling that game would be new to me and I would be extremely surprised if it happened. I really can't think of any good reason not to play it. For Minster it's a game they win more often than not that gets them a lot of points (not to mention high attendance every other year) and for us at Loramie it serves as one of the biggest, if not the biggest, regular season game every season.

I think y'all MAC folks give too much credit to this scheduling system. I'm not saying the scheduling system is bad; I'm saying I think there are more important variables other than skipping one singular league foe during one singular week of a ten week football season.

As an outsider, it's bizarre to me that such a strong, tight-knit, prideful small school league would voluntarily choose not to compete against its own members. 9-1 Coldwater missing out on 8-2 Minster this year. Versailles-Coldwater in 2021. Personally, it seems pretty clear that these football programs bounce back much quicker than this two-year dead period and for reasons that have less to do with who you do or don't play. Ultimately, if MAC coaches, players, and fans like the system then that's all that matters.
I do agree that it would make more sense to play all full time league members while still retaining two OOC games , but that would mean to kick out the An—

Uh nevermind

Quick history lesson as to why this rotating scheduled started. Granted, now with 16 making the playoffs it shouldnt be a big a deal but here is the skinny for those who dont know.

2001: MAC added Versailles to go to an uneven 9 teams.
------This forced the league to have have an OOC game all season and it was nuts to get them later in the year so........
2006: Anna was added to make it an even 10, and playing 1 OOC team and 9 league games.
2007: 8-2 Parkway missed the playoffs, as did a 7-3 Anna, but most notably PW.
-------That season PW won their only OOC game, against a 5-5 team so it wasnt like their lone OOC game was a complete dog.
-------PW only lost to 15-0 MSML, and 14-1 CW teams that were both State Champions.

Also around this time some of the smaller schools were grumbling that the most recent schools added, (Anna, Versailles) were bigger and it was tougher to compete.

The MAC saw that PW debacle, an 8-2 team missing the playoffs, as unacceptable, and foresaw instances like that happening again moving forward so because of that, and the grumblings, they went to the current format in 2 year cycles.

I wholeheartedly this allowed programs like Ft Rec, New Bremen, Minster et all to be able to make resurgances and win state titles.
It allowed the less fortunate schools to find a team they could compete with, win, garner Harbins, make the playoffs, and build their programs. It alllowed the better teams to attempt to 'schedule up' and play some better teams, and in turn improve and increase harbins.

At times some rivalries have had to take a pause, but I think the results since then is undeniable with Anna, Ft Rec, NB getting their first state titles, Minster coming back onto the scene, and so on.

All in all, it has been a blessing and I realize with 16 it may not be needed, but I prefer it this way and 2 OOC games (even tho they are tougher to find at times). I would rather have been playing the likes of Hartley, Bellefontaine, Clinton Massie, Valley View, the Cincy schools, etc, than the 2nd lowest MAC team.

Quick history lesson as to why this rotating scheduled started. Granted, now with 16 making the playoffs it shouldnt be a big a deal but here is the skinny for those who dont know.

------This forced the league to have have an OOC game all season and it was nuts to get them later in the year so........
2006: Anna was added to make it an even 10, and playing 1 OOC team and 9 league games.
-------That season PW won their only OOC game, against a 5-5 team so it wasnt like their lone OOC game was a complete dog.
-------PW only lost to 15-0 MSML, and 14-1 CW teams that were both State Champions.

Also around this time some of the smaller schools were grumbling that the most recent schools added, (Anna, Versailles) were bigger and it was tougher to compete.

The MAC saw that PW debacle, an 8-2 team missing the playoffs, as unacceptable, and foresaw instances like that happening again moving forward so because of that, and the grumblings, they went to the current format in 2 year cycles.

I wholeheartedly this allowed programs like Ft Rec, New Bremen, Minster et all to be able to make resurgances and win state titles.
It allowed the less fortunate schools to find a team they could compete with, win, garner Harbins, make the playoffs, and build their programs. It alllowed the better teams to attempt to 'schedule up' and play some better teams, and in turn improve and increase harbins.

At times some rivalries have had to take a pause, but I think the results since then is undeniable with Anna, Ft Rec, NB getting their first state titles, Minster coming back onto the scene, and so on.

All in all, it has been a blessing and I realize with 16 it may not be needed, but I prefer it this way and 2 OOC games (even tho they are tougher to find at times). I would rather have been playing the likes of Hartley, Bellefontaine, Clinton Massie, Valley View, the Cincy schools, etc, than the 2nd lowest MAC team.
Agreed on most but disagree with the part where you say it’s instrumental getting those teams State Titles. Those teams won state titles all after D7 was created. Though some were in D6, they still dodged the bullet of MSML that year, as did the D7 teams when MSML went to D6. The only title that ran through MSML was New Bremen in 2020.

For fun, if the league were to “protect” a rivalry game or 2, who would you see every bodies protection being? Obviously st Henry coldwater, minster new Bremen, Versailles Marion

but I’d like to think Ft rec views St Henry as their top rival and Anna views Minster that way
Since no one else want's to play with you, I will.
First off, you're right about how FR views SH. But, we'll never be their number one.

I think the easy ones are
SH/CW
Minster/NB

That leaves 6, and a little harder than you'd think.
ML/Versailles is prolly a lock.
Which leaves FR, PW, Anna and DSJ

Some would say, DSJ and PW because they're the most northern part of the MAC. But I'd maybe say FR/PW. It doesn't matter how bad FR is, we always know we can get a W against the Panthers, and they aways seem to get up for us, because they prolly feel the same way. Maybe being in the MAC cellar together for so long forged something. Which would leave DSJ and Anna as leftover's I guess.
Either way it be kinda tough.

Though, if you gave SH to FR and CW to ML, it might open up a little more?
FR/SH
CW/ML
NB/Minster
Anna/Versailles
PW/DSJ

It's fun to think about.

Agreed on most but disagree with the part where you say it’s instrumental getting those teams State Titles. Those teams won state titles all after D7 was created. Though some were in D6, they still dodged the bullet of MSML that year, as did the D7 teams when MSML went to D6. The only title that ran through MSML was New Bremen in 2020.
True, but you cannot deny its better for the top few, and lower few, teams to find other opponents because as you well know, the MAC OOC record is phenomenal in the playoffs and pre MAC schedule.

Since no one else want's to play with you, I will.
First off, you're right about how FR views SH. But, we'll never be their number one.

I think the easy ones are
SH/CW
Minster/NB

That leaves 6, and a little harder than you'd think.
ML/Versailles is prolly a lock.
Which leaves FR, PW, Anna and DSJ

Some would say, DSJ and PW because they're the most northern part of the MAC. But I'd maybe say FR/PW. It doesn't matter how bad FR is, we always know we can get a W against the Panthers, and they aways seem to get up for us, because they prolly feel the same way. Maybe being in the MAC cellar together for so long forged something. Which would leave DSJ and Anna as leftover's I guess.
Either way it be kinda tough.

Though, if you gave SH to FR and CW to ML, it might open up a little more?
FR/SH
CW/ML
NB/Minster
Anna/Versailles
PW/DSJ

It's fun to think about.
It is fun to think about. But I’d say Versailles is a lock with Marion. Northern boundary/southern boundary border and Osgood / North Star churchgoers.
There’s really no connection between Anna and Versailles, I’m not even sure we always play each other in other sports.

Do you keep this in a Word doc. somewhere and just copy and paste? I think you give the same lesson every year. You are 100% correct, but I think at this point I would prefer a full round robin with just 1 OOC.

It is fun to think about. But I’d say Versailles is a lock with Marion. Northern boundary/southern boundary border and Osgood / North Star churchgoers.
There’s really no connection between Anna and Versailles, I’m not even sure we always play each other in other sports.
Thus why the rest just doesn't connect perfectly.

I can tell you from being there at the time that the incentive was the threat of schools like Fort Recovery and New Bremen potentially leaving the MAC if the 9-game schedule remained. The help making the playoffs was more of a bonus/selling point than a driving force.

Do you keep this in a Word doc. somewhere and just copy and paste? I think you give the same lesson every year. You are 100% correct, but I think at this point I would prefer a full round robin with just 1 OOC.
I should but I look it up each yr and make sure i have the dates correct. It really sixked having an open week all season so adding someone was a given. An 8-2 team winning their only OCC game should make the playoffs so. Bruce states it was not a driving force and he helped with it, but with it coming right after it happened it had to be a huge reason.

Hell...MAC teams.get into the playoffs they win. Look at SH....and even PW.got.within a score in their playoffs game. My buddy RH has not fully updated the playoff records the last 2 yrs on the MAC site but we all know the winning percentage is stupid great

Avoiding MSML in the 2019 regular season allowed NB to qualify for the playoffs and make a run to regional finals before losing to MSML. I think for them making the playoffs for the first time since 2004? and making that run was absolutely instrumental in setting them up for that 2020 season.

I don't know for sure from the opponents side, but as a Versailles athlete I always viewed Coldwater as a rival rather than Marion. But my memory starts right around 2000, so I am affected alot by the game between Versailles and Coldwater where the helicopter dropped the game ball off.

I don't know for sure from the opponents side, but as a Versailles athlete I always viewed Coldwater as a rival rather than Marion. But my memory starts right around 2000, so I am affected alot by the game between Versailles and Coldwater where the helicopter dropped the game ball off.
Versailles had been playing VW for quite a few yrs before the MAC, I think longer than msml.

Well folks, it's that time of year.

Faith, Family, Freedom are of course the top 3.things to be.thankful for but I'm also very thankful of the MAC and to all of you.

NEVER TAKE THIS SUCCESS FOR GRANTED.

Sit back and think about what we see on almost a yearly basis. For most conferences it's a pipe dream, and here it's a yearly reality.

I'm thankful of all of you, the loyal MAC yappsters who continually carry the flag of the league. Not only do we have the best league of the land, we have the best darnn yappsters!

Everyone understands the assignment. Support the conference as you support your team. We know we're not perfect and yall don't get all butthurt if someone brings up a weakness of yiur team. We've kept MACtosis at a minimum and yall act like ya been there before, because we have.

We stand up for one another, and if we see someone in a scrap we come to their aide.

That's the MAC family, our brotherhood.

To the 2 remaining teams, the MAC brethren are behind you. Make your season live forever and put a banner on your wall.

Thank you MACsters, yall are the best and I am.humbled to.be amongst you.

Let's get 4 more wins and 2 titles in the coming weeks.

Thank.you all,

Peace and Love,
"Voice.

This "system" seems to be working out very well. Minster struggled for a bit and didn't have to play Coldwater the last two seasons and that helps get a team back over the hump. I see SH having a bit of that "luck" coming their way as well with not having to play either Ver or CW while they are also looking to be a team on the rise. Well thought out plan, kudos to the AD's that put this together.
the main thing is that it has been important to have TWO non league games to help make the playoffs when there were only 8 teams from eah region who makes the playoffs... but now that they invite 16 ( which is not right) maybe everyone should play each other. Hopefully the OHsaa decides to go back to EIGHT TEAMS.. and forget about their BANK ACCOUNT

Well folks, it's that time of year.

Faith, Family, Freedom are of course the top 3.things to be.thankful for but I'm also very thankful of the MAC and to all of you.

NEVER TAKE THIS SUCCESS FOR GRANTED.

Sit back and think about what we see on almost a yearly basis. For most conferences it's a pipe dream, and here it's a yearly reality.

I'm thankful of all of you, the loyal MAC yappsters who continually carry the flag of the league. Not only do we have the best league of the land, we have the best darnn yappsters!

Everyone understands the assignment. Support the conference as you support your team. We know we're not perfect and yall don't get all butthurt if someone brings up a weakness of yiur team. We've kept MACtosis at a minimum and yall act like ya been there before, because we have.

We stand up for one another, and if we see someone in a scrap we come to their aide.

That's the MAC family, our brotherhood.

To the 2 remaining teams, the MAC brethren are behind you. Make your season live forever and put a banner on your wall.

Thank you MACsters, yall are the best and I am.humbled to.be amongst you.

Let's get 4 more wins and 2 titles in the coming weeks.

Thank.you all,

Peace and Love,
"Voice.
It has been fun following the past few years. Finally created an account this year, and I’m glad I did. Look forward to the discussions in the future

the main thing is that it has been important to have TWO non league games to help make the playoffs when there were only 8 teams from eah region who makes the playoffs... but now that they invite 16 ( which is not right) maybe everyone should play each other. Hopefully the OHsaa decides to go back to EIGHT TEAMS.. and forget about their BANK ACCOUNT
It was never about making the playoffs!

It was done to provide relief to the bottom teams in the league. The extra Harbin's points were an extra selling point but not the main driver.

It was never about making the playoffs!

It was done to provide relief to the bottom teams in the league. The extra Harbin's points were an extra selling point but not the main driver.
we have had this discussion before... and you have talked to people and i have talked to people... I'll go by what i have heard in the past...

also, the Loramie -Minster game is still on...