Mid-State League 2022

That's cool they're getting turf
That’s the talk I’ve heard from a couple folks more plugged in (parents, and a classmate of mine who is close-ish to the program) over the last few years. What I had heard was there’s (at least) one business willing to do the financial gift to make it happen. I’ve gathered that since they’re in the process of getting new buildings built in new places on the campus, some of which has taken time (e.g. they haven’t played a baseball game at BU since 2019 and won’t again until 2024) it had been backburnered due to financial and logistical strain.

If indeed turf does come in, congrats to BU and their community. The only two schools in Fairfield County with turf are BC and LHS. BC has had theirs since at least 2013, and Fulton got it in 2016. FCA will also be playing at FCA beginning next year, and they too will be turf.

I'm not humble when its FISHER week! Go Rockets!

Conor McGregor Meets Fist 17102022223536.jpg

Didn't the Buckeye have 3 co-champs a decade ago?
Let me double-check on the year you’re referring to.
After checking with green_n_gold76, I was probably mixing up details. He said he doesnt recall three champs, but did say HT and TV were co-champs sometime back then. Maybe there were three teams tied going into week 10, and two of played them each other.

The wasted mind is a terrible thing.

Here’s an article we can all enjoy. The BUGRMB has always been a point pride not just for the Sugar Grove community, but also a staple tying together the fabric of the Fall season in Fairfield County.

There’s room for the banter and spirit within the rivalry, of course, but space can always be made for recognizing great work.

Yes SugarGroove, disgusting!!! The word down here in the hills is that he is a volunteer "equipment guy" and a retired OSHP. Vinton has cut ties. There have been a couple accusations with VC program this year that make you scratch your head....

Last edited:
Here’s an article we can all enjoy. The BUGRMB has always been a point pride not just for the Sugar Grove community, but also a staple tying together the fabric of the Fall season in Fairfield County.
Never forgot seeing the Berne Union band for the first time at the Bexley July 4th parade in 1972. I could tell they were on the small side, and that they had kids who were about to be in the 7th grade. Man, their director put the fear of God in me, he looked like a Parris Island DI. Those kids were braced and they snapped to after each command, no hesitation. Looking back, had to be one of the most precise and disciplined bands I've seen.

After seeing BU play this year, they've got no room to be laughing at anyone else. SMH. MSL Cardinal football has to amongst the weakest in the State right now overall. Sorry, just an observation.

After seeing BU play this year, they've got no room to be laughing at anyone else. SMH. MSL Cardinal football has to amongst the weakest in the State right now overall. Sorry, just an observation.
Great observation. Missed one thing though...it's week 10 which means it's BU vs Fisher which is the oldest rivalry in the MSL-Cardinal. Docks an alum of FC. I'm an alum of BU. I would poke fun at a FC O-10 season possibly just as Dock be required to do the same if the tables were turned. It's been a rivalry for years. Ups and downs for both sides so your comment about BU should bite their tongue and refrain from throwing some stones at FC because according to you BU has nothing to brag about is a mute point. Thx and Go Rockets!

Attachments

• Drake 17102022224350.jpg
    Drake 17102022224350.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 28
Great observation. Missed one thing though...it's week 10 which means it's BU vs Fisher which is the oldest rivalry in the MSL-Cardinal. Docks an alum of FC. I'm an alum of BU. I would poke fun at a FC O-10 season possibly just as Dock be required to do the same if the tables were turned. It's been a rivalry for years. Ups and downs for both sides so your comment about BU should bite their tongue and refrain from throwing some stones at FC because according to you BU has nothing to brag about is a mute point. Thx and Go Rockets!
Two schools that, through fate or through fortune, over time became rivals to the deepest degree. No love lost. It’s also a necessary foil to the NC rivalry we have.

When the Cardinal realigned back in 2013, the two foes rose and became indisputably the two best (and most complete) athletic programs in their part of the MSL. The Cardinal runs through those two schools in almost every sport, every year. Big rivalry on the diamonds, bigger rivalry in the court sports and it’s always a tilt in football. It’s “Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate.” I don’t know what kids are up to these days, but when I was in school the added element of FC girls dating scrubs from Berne made things a whole lot hotter in the gymnasium — every student made it known how they felt. And when breakups happened the hardwood turned into hockey rinks with Standing Room Only crowds beating on the glass.

Last edited:
Let’s play a friendly game of “say something nice about your heated rival.” I’ll start!

Berne Union: your Board of Education and school leadership is better than Bloom-Carroll’s.

The MSL is general might be the worst league in Ohio HS football. Couple good coaches and just no real talent.
There are some pretty rough leagues out there man. Has the MSL fallen off a little bit? Yes. The worst league in the entire state? No way. I do agree the Cardinal is rough, but the Buckeye isn't as terrible as people make it out to be. It's not as good as the 90's or early to mid 2000's, but things will probably change soon... again. I don't really follow the cardinal division, but keep close tabs on the Buckeye schools. That division is in the middle of a social and economical change, IMO. You look at the bigger power schools in that division and they're radically different than what the rest of the league is demographically and socially. BC, HT and TV are basically suburban schools that are no longer small rural areas. Their identities, demographics, everything has basically changed. Those schools no longer feel or resemble the types of families that roamed their hallways or athletic fields for decades. The MSL used to be a small rural school conference. Bloom Carroll is a product of suburban growth, move-ins/transfers and families building homes along the Pickerington border. A far cry from where they were in just the late 90's. Hamilton is the same way. That area is growing and Columbus grew into it not too long ago. They're also building a lot of homes around the school and they should continue to grow. Look at Ashville and Teays Valley. I remember when that school was surrounded by farm land. Now it's surrounded by subdivisions and has two middle schools and they're off to the OCC. Now look at the what's left. Fairfield Union, Amanda Clearcreek, Logan Elm and Circleville. All of those are smaller rural areas. Circleville isn't too far off from that suburban feel. I know it's a small town, but it's still rural IMO. They also have proposed subdivisions that will be built soon. So expect move-ins and higher enrollment which will probably boost their male sports. I feel that those 4 schools have to compete on a different spectrum. They can't rely on kids to transfer schools or move in from expanding areas. They get what their communities have and that's it. Minus Circleville possibly growing, maybe those 4 schools are best suited for an SVC style league. Maybe the MSL isn't so much as being bad, as it is those previously mentioned schools have just outgrown or out developed their competition because of their geographical location. Logan Elm played a decent small school non conference and did well at 2-1. Their only loss was to the SVC champs Zane Trace. They even faired well against a middle of the pack FAC school. IMO, Logan Elm could compete in that conference and that's a solid athletic conference. I know they were middle of the pack and bottom teams, but Circleville dominated 3 SVC schools and would probably of been one of the better SVC schools if they were in that conference. Fairfield Union went 2-1 out of conference as well. I don't particularly think the MSL is the worst in the state. The Buckeye is better than the SVC imo, just after giving things very minimal thought. Who knows what things will look like in a few years, but I just think the conference is in the middle of a change. I can careless about the Cardinal division. Anymore when I mention the MSL, most people I speak to talk of the Buckeye. It wasn't too long ago that all the schools though Hamilton was a city league style school because they were all so rural. The days of DV Amanda running the table, while Bloom, Teays and Hamilton fielded perennial losers are over. It's not a bad thing the conference is going through a change. But there's a lot more to it than a vague "The conference is the worst in the state. 2 good coaches and the kids suck" type comment. If the league was so bad, it wouldn't of had 3 regional finals teams in 6 years. Those teams were good, but they don't get prepared for deep playoff runs by playing terrible competition. There are some really good coaches in the Buckeye and I admire what they do for their programs and communities. It's an incredibly difficult job winning regularly without transfers, move ins and a growing community.

Buckeye 3 teams to playoffs, possibly 4 (Teays is "win-and-in; lose-and-pray".)

Cardinal 5 teams to playoffs, possibly 6 (depends on the points breaks with Miller/Rosecrans tomorrow night versus the rest of R27.)

Like, what does that tell you about the Buckeye my man?

I hear loud-and-clear, in agreement, what you're saying about BC as well as HT & TV, but c'mon. Circleville schedules three tomato can programs, gets three wins in the process but later ends up with the weird distinction of an early state ranking with no expanded playoff appearance to show for it come week 11. FU also scheduled 'down.' The already-eliminated team worth some sympathy for is LU, and only LU. For the past 3-5 years the quartet of CV, FU, LE, and LU (although the Lions weren't really in as bad of a boat compared to the other three) were in general dire straits. LE finally had some talent and depth cycle back up through, and they have a solid coach who has experience with that waxing-and-waning.

I understand the Buckeye crowds' feelings get hurt when they're discussed in the same vein as the Cardinal, but face facts. The Buckeye isn't a strong football conference and it probably hasn't been for some time. At least not on a consistent basis. It's ok! It happens!

How are YOU getting ready for MSL Friday?

I’m putting my car’s cruise control on 25 as I cross the tracks, cuz I don’t want to give The Grove more than $14 tonight. #resist

Rangers gonna have to shock BC and the rest of the world tonight without me. Working one of the parade stands at the Pumpkin Show. Food there's not bad, but it can't beat a good football concession stand hot dog and mocha cappucino.

Rangers gonna have to shock BC and the rest of the world tonight without me. Working one of the parade stands at the Pumpkin Show. Food there's not bad, but it can't beat a good football concession stand hot dog and mocha cappucino.
We will need a Fan-o-Meter reading on the generations-long relic of Central Ohio, tonight. Enjoy!

BC - 48
HT - 0

Not even static. Was told Bloom’s offensive line dominated all night long.

The Fan-O-Meter says: “Say, have you tried the pumpkin shrimp pad Thai at the Circleville Pumpkin Show?”