Meet Hoban’s Sam Greer, a 6-foot-8 freshman lineman who already has an Ohio State football offer

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
“I wasn’t expecting an Ohio State offer when I went in. I was expecting a little visit to show me what it’s all about. My coach took me, so I definitely wasn’t expecting an offer,” Greer said at a recent Hoban spring practice. “It felt amazing. I’ve always wanted to play football at Ohio State. We’re big Ohio State fans, so that being my first offer was crazy.”

What makes Greer’s situation even more impressive is that he doesn’t have a single varsity down under his belt.

Is football like basketball, in that a recruit can not sign until after their junior years season? If so,a lot of water has to flow under the bridge between now and then.

Is football like basketball, in that a recruit can not sign until after their junior years season? If so,a lot of water has to flow under the bridge between now and then.
Signing periods for football are in December(early) of your senior year and February of your senior year for football and November of most other sports I believe. No one can sign letters of intent before then for any sport. You can commit whenever you want but it is non-binding.

B

very few freshman play varsity period. Big jump from 8th grade to playing with 17-18 year olds. I can think of 2 in the past 8-10 years. Chip Traynum and Rumler. After watching this kid playing BB I am surprised he didn't.
Was Cook a freshman this season? What about Jason Martin? I thought he played (and started some games?) as a freshman. But I am old and have a bad memory.

Was Cook a freshman this season? What about Jason Martin? I thought he played (and started some games?) as a freshman. But I am old and have a bad memory.
I believe you are correct on both accounts. Cook was WR I believe (future QB I was told), and Martin did start as a freshman. Forgot about him.

Hopefully he becomes Ohio’s first 5 star offensive linemen since Paris Johnson.
I hope we get one sooner than that. Hopefully a kid somewhere in Ohio that will be a junior this year has five star potential. I don't think any of the Class of 2024 will reach it, even though it's a solid group statewide.

Sad thought, Hoban may have one of the best offensive line units in years however they now don’t have a qb to support them. Rumors are floating that hobans OC/QB coach has drove Jaquia Long back to West Virginia.. anyone else hear that he is no longer at Hoban? Akron Beacon journal asked coach Matt Sanders from Hoban if there was any truth and he denied comment.

Not sure what that has to do with me but okay. I’ll assume that Tyrell is contacting Massillon QBs like usual
It's has to sting to have never won a state title on the field while Hoban has won multiple state titles in football, one in baseball, basketball & golf over the past couple of years. Feel free to copy and post on Massillon thread since they have to censor and ban anyone who doesn't ride their sack.