McKinley High School football head coach Marcus Wattley, seven assistant coaches suspended

Tht would be snitching cincifbfan, something I won't get into. Some coach could lose their job. If the player didn't report it, why would I report it. I'm sorry to say but demeaning kids doesn't just happen in urban schools. You just stereotyped the urban community or did you mean to say the "African American community." Again if you travel through the GCL & GMC you're probably going to hear coaches demean kids. I just wanted to hear everyone's thought on this post but to act like demeaning kids doesn't happen at these schools is like saying a high school kid doesn't curse. It happens is my point & whether it's right or wrong it's going to continue to happen. IE lineman misses a block his o line coach may call him a "" or if a kid blows a coverage his DC may call him a . I'm sorry I've been to a lot of football and basketball practices where I've seen these things occur and it happens more @ parochial schools. Ijs Thanks for answering the questions though, it gave me a little insight.
Speaking as someone who used to work in the corrections field, anyone who uses the term "snitch" is not someone you want to entrust anything to, much less your children.

If nothing illegal, untoward, or malicious is being done "snitches" don't exist, because there's nothing to "snitch" on.

The very mention of the phrase indicates someone knows something bad is happening, but chooses to allow it to continue to happen instead of inviting consequences for exposing the bad behavior of others with some sort of structural or personal power over them.

See something, say something--no?

Last edited:
You do realize that ODE requires "snitching" as they have to report such behavior. I stand by my comments ?. Demeaning kids is completely different from coaching a kid hard.

Find me a school that has in their code of conduct that calling a kid a dumb@ss is acceptable...... Just 1 school. Just because it happens doesn't make it right. People that accept it are part of the reason why people get get turned away from football and why football coaches & teams have bad reputations on schools. Everyone these days is out to get football programs, you gotta be on top of your behavior at all times. .... Don't like it, find a new profession. Again, you can tell and still coach hard without calling kids dumb@sses.
You do realize that there are kids out there that are “poisons” to their team? Any coach that has coached for some length of time has had the “pleasure” of dealing with these types. And then there are parents that are either clueless, ignorant, and/or completely defiant to a “productive world”.
Now, I’m not condoning anyone’s actions. And I don’t know the actual history between the coach and player and parents.
But I bet that there’s more (or less) to the story than what’s being said here.
Where is the line to not cross?
Can I say “our workout started at 9am and it’s now 10 am. You’re late and the workout is over. No, you can’t eat pizza with us. Isn’t it against your new religion? Don’t be a dumb***”?

You do realize that there are kids out there that are “poisons” to their team? Any coach that has coached for some length of time has had the “pleasure” of dealing with these types. And then there are parents that are either clueless, ignorant, and/or completely defiant to a “productive world”.
Now, I’m not condoning anyone’s actions. And I don’t know the actual history between the coach and player and parents.
But I bet that there’s more (or less) to the story than what’s being said here.
Where is the line to not cross?
Can I say “our workout started at 9am and it’s now 10 am. You’re late and the workout is over. No, you can’t eat pizza with us. Isn’t it against your new religion? Don’t be a dumb***”?
Send the poisons home, period! Easy.

I have sent starters home for being late on game day. Sorry, you're not playing and not even getting the pleasure of standing on the sidelines. It's not even an argument...... late, you leave. I don't have to call a kid a dumb@ss in the process. Accountability above winning. Do the little things and don't bend for anyone, if you are not consistent and bend for your superstars, you will lose the team. It's your fault if you keep the poison on your team, it is afterall your team. Don't let a 1 player hold up the progress and cause dissent among the rest of the team, it is a team sport. I don't care if that kid a 4 star recruit with offers to Bama, Ohio State, and a dozen other national powerhouses. If he is a poison now, he will be poison at some point during the season and cost you in the long run; and will at some point cost you other players as well.

I have sent starters home for being late on game day. Sorry, you're not playing and not even getting the pleasure of standing on the sidelines. It's not even an argument...... late, you leave. I don't have to call a kid a dumb@ss in the process. Accountability above winning. Do the little things and don't bend for anyone, if you are not consistent and bend for your superstars, you will lose the team. It's your fault if you keep the poison on your team, it is afterall your team. Don't let a 1 player hold up the progress and cause dissent among the rest of the team, it is a team sport. I don't care if that kid a 4 star recruit with offers to Bama, Ohio State, and a dozen other national powerhouses. If he is a poison now, he will be poison at some point during the season and cost you in the long run; and will at some point cost you other players as well.
Now I agree with you on tht send the kid home! End of story but then you will hear some stories like the more recent 1 hear in Cincinnati where a 15 yr old just got gunned down in broad daylight on a main street.

If it is ok to call a student dumb@ss when they "deserve it" then it is ok to call them a dumb@ss when they don't. Think it through - you really want that?

Now I agree with you on tht send the kid home! End of story but then you will hear some stories like the more recent 1 hear in Cincinnati where a 15 yr old just got gunned down in broad daylight on a main street.
Yep, I have had that happen. Many old players of mine have been killed, locked up and shot. The 15 year old you are referencing my wife taught in 3rd grade. It always hits hard, but no matter how much you try, if people don't want to change, they won't.

Maybe he was trying his best to make this kid a productive human being in society? Maybe his tactic failed in most eyes but he was doing his best to get him to follow rules? Send lil Johnny home and see what happens when the helicopter parents call the super and AD and see how many have your back in that situation or any.

Maybe he was trying his best to make this kid a productive human being in society? Maybe his tactic failed in most eyes but he was doing his best to get him to follow rules? Send lil Johnny home and see what happens when the helicopter parents call the super and AD and see how many have your back in that situation or any.
Definitely was a tough situation to manage. I guess the saying is you can't save them all.

Speaking as someone who used to work in the corrections field, anyone who uses the term "snitch" is not someone you want to entrust anything to, much less your children.

If nothing illegal, untoward, or malicious is being done "snitches" don't exist, because there's nothing to "snitch" on.

The very mention of the phrase indicates someone knows something bad is happening, but chooses to allow it to continue to happen instead of inviting consequences for exposing the bad behavior of others with some sort of structural or personal power over them.

See something, say something--no?
Well tell that to your buddies who stormed the capitol building and have valuable info the FBI can use to catch those thugs.

See that's the thing, my policy of sending kids home was approved by the AD and principal. I also had parent meetings explaining this and had my rules and expectations signed by player and parent. No signature, you don't get to show up for any team activity after the deadline.

Making a kid eat junk food is not ok by any administration.

Come on Tiger P putting your hands on a kid is out of bounds. I just have coached a lot of kids & these parents have become more entitled. Seeing the kid in the RIB eating contest after his dad sd he hadn't ate pork since 2013 tells me all I need to hear. I'll give the kid a break because it's obvious it's the adults here. Everyone is skipping the part where I sd I heard coaches used to call the kid to make sure he ate every morning and if he didn't they would feed him. That's not their responsibility but they did. Honestly I would feed any kid. Also the kid came back and held himself ACCOUNTABLE. I guess the point I'm trying to make if you policed every program we'd have more investigations. So what do you say about the coach who makes a player do his school work in a desk placed on the field because he refuses to do the work at home or in class. This would be humiliating too, correct. Should the kid feel like a dunce?
Can we just all agree that Don C has made lots of unverifiable claims about things he’s heard and done and seen that could all be made up. My man, maybe you coached. Maybe you didn’t. Maybe you helped get kids into college. Maybe you didn’t. Maybe you got the crap beat outta you by coaches and brothers at parochial schools daily. Maybe you didn’t. Nobody knows who you are. And you’re starting to sound a little unhinged here. Glad you like Wattley. I’m sure he needs lots of anonymous internet friends to help get him thru this.

Can we just all agree that Don C has made lots of unverifiable claims about things he’s heard and done and seen that could all be made up. My man, maybe you coached. Maybe you didn’t. Maybe you helped get kids into college. Maybe you didn’t. Maybe you got the crap beat outta you by coaches and brothers at parochial schools daily. Maybe you didn’t. Nobody knows who you are. And you’re starting to sound a little unhinged here. Glad you like Wattley. I’m sure he needs lots of anonymous internet friends to help get him thru this.
Actually a former player of mine lives in NEO & I have a friend who lives there as well who has been around youth sports & high school sports for 40 plus years there & he has several inside ppl. One thing about me my guy I don't make things up & you can private message me I'll release my identity to you and you can do your own personal research here in Cincinnati. Moral to the story let this play out and I don't know the coach but if he is feeding kids out of his pocket he is a heck of a man because thats not his responsibility.

There was an incident here in Cincinnati back in 1990-91 where a story came out about a coach calling kids the "N" my close friends played on that team & they reiterated that's not how it went but a disgruntled player & parent put it out there as if he directly called them the word. But ultimately the truth was he told them they were going to be called that word by an opponent who back then were known to use that word frequentlym Once the media got ahold to it & ppl held public court the coach didn't stand a chance when really he telling them to be aware of the opposing team & fans saying they play like a bunch of .......

Definitely was a tough situation to manage. I guess the saying is you can't save them all.
And sometimes you can’t save yourself no matter which route you take. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.
Here’s my take on being a head coach...
25% of the time it really sucks (bad practice, bad game, no-shows for work-outs/practice, kids/parents/AD complains, spouse wants more time with you, etc).
25% of the time it’s really awesome (awesome practice, awesome game, coaches on the same page, beautiful day for football, spouse is happy, etc).
50% of the time you wonder if anyone is listening.

I take it you're 1 of the officers who can't wait to arrest 1 of these kids. We appreciate your service to the community.
He was not an officer. His work revolved around reducing recidivism and making sure inmates had the tools to succeed on the outside. Truly a thankless job.

He was not an officer. His work revolved around reducing recidivism and making sure inmates had the tools to succeed on the outside. Truly a thankless job.
Parole or Probation officer, he needs to be thanked for giving those ppl the tools so they can succeed. Again I'm in the business of helping ppl and I commend anyone who is trying to help anyone better themselves, could this coach used a different method of course but he seemed like he was trying help rhe kid along the way. I agree with Cincifb there needs to be contracts signed by parents so they know the expectation of the program and ultimately that's where this coach slipped.

Parole or Probation officer, he needs to be thanked for giving those ppl the tools so they can succeed. Again I'm in the business of helping ppl and I commend anyone who is trying to help anyone better themselves, could this coach used a different method of course but he seemed like he was trying help rhe kid along the way. I agree with Cincifb there needs to be contracts signed by parents so they know the expectation of the program and ultimately that's where this coach slipped.
Where in the contract would "When applicable, the coaching staff may utilize 'enhanced nutritional protocols' coupled with 'social pressure therapy' as a teaching device" go?

Would that come before or after "As needed, coaches may refer to players as below average intelligence"?

Last edited:
Where in the contract would "When applicable, the coaching staff may utilize 'enhanced nutritional protocols' coupled with 'social pressure therapy' as a teaching device"?

Would that come before or after "As needed, coaches may refer to players as below average intelligence"?
Cmon now. If you don't abide by team rules you get sent home and have the parent sign off on it. It really isn't tht difficult.

Cmon now. If you don't abide by team rules you get sent home and have the parent sign off on it. It really isn't tht difficult.
Sign off that coaches can do whatever they want to your kid? Or that you're going to make the kid eat a whole pizza or whatever while the rest of the team works around him? Only good that'd do is cement your case. Parents aren't allowed to sign off that their kid be hazed.

Sign off that coaches can do whatever they want to your kid? Or that you're going to make the kid eat a whole pizza or whatever while the rest of the team works around him? Only good that'd do is cement your case. Parents aren't allowed to sign off that their kid be hazed.
No did you read cincifb response then get back with me.

Said from the outset this doesn't take away from all the good Whatley has done. He is a good man who made a mistake albeit a really dumb one. He'd also be the 1st to help the same kid with the shirt off his back. He'll be back. Not going to 2nd guess CCS's decision either.
I agree ... what he did was wrong ... but take away the religious aspect and this is not a fireable offense (IMO) ... and I see him coaching again ... my bet is at a D2 or D3 college.

It was bad but more bad in hindsight. It was an on the moment mistake. Something that given thought and understanding of the implications to the family, these same coaches would have done otherwise. Non-renew? Sure. Career killer? Shouldn't be.

I honestly beleive any decent parent, a parent that does believe in the religion would take their foot off. Understand the misunderstanding. Get the apology and move on with life.

It was bad but more bad in hindsight. It was an on the moment mistake. Something that given thought and understanding of the implications to the family, these same coaches would have done otherwise. Non-renew? Sure. Career killer? Shouldn't be.

I honestly beleive any decent parent, a parent that does believe in the religion would take their foot off. Understand the misunderstanding. Get the apology and move on with life.

Not when there's $$$$$ to be had!

:>---

SALT

Seeing the kid in the RIB eating contest after his dad sd he hadn't ate pork since 2013 tells me all I need to hear.

How did you see the KID in the RIB eating contest . I thought there was no photos of him eating just others ? Also wondering if he did eat in the contest is it possible he had beef ribs and not pork ?

And sometimes you can’t save yourself no matter which route you take. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.
Here’s my take on being a head coach...
25% of the time it really sucks (bad practice, bad game, no-shows for work-outs/practice, kids/parents/AD complains, spouse wants more time with you, etc).
25% of the time it’s really awesome (awesome practice, awesome game, coaches on the same page, beautiful day for football, spouse is happy, etc).
50% of the time you wonder if anyone is listening.
Yep