McKinley High School football head coach Marcus Wattley, seven assistant coaches suspended

This just hit the Beacon. Lawsuit in the works-

Also, contract renewal day for football coaches is today. In addition, the OHSAA is apparently looking into the situation as a violation of the voluntary workout rules. What a mess.

Thanks. Bad, but not as bad as I thought since he let him at least remove the meat. Still, never a good idea to mess with religious beliefs nor be basically hazing kids this day and age.

It seems that any body else would get a slap on the wrist for this which means McKinley will probably get the death penalty again.
I think the context of this violation will probably have more to do with any potential sanction than anything else.

Also, if this sort of thing was done because one player missed one OTA, what else will be uncovered in the course of an OHSAA investigation?

Last edited:
If McKinley’s season is ruined I doubt the kid will feel more welcomed at school. But the parents can use their big settlement for free college - and if any money left over, open up a meatless pizza restaurant !

I don't think people are beating down the door for this job...coupled with how late in the year it is, It'll be interesting to see the candidates. I could see a younger assistant coach taking this job to get some HC experience.

I don't think people are beating down the door for this job...coupled with how late in the year it is, It'll be interesting to see the candidates. I could see a younger assistant coach taking this job to get some HC experience.
They're all going to be fireḍ

I agree, I don’t think their last few coaches- any lasted more than 3/4 years. It’s a good job, but with the canton pop shrinking, 1998 it ain’t

I agree, I don’t think their last few coaches- any lasted more than 3/4 years. It’s a good job, but with the canton pop shrinking, 1998 it ain’t
Agreed, the population is shrinking, the city has become a dangerous place to be and the job simply isn't as attractive as it once was.

The sad part is that the Massillon vs McKinley rivalry (outside of Yappi..lol) is basically a thing of the past. I belong to a gym that has both fan bases and the banter the last 10 years has all but died out. I should say the back and forth is still there but the reality of McKinley making this competitive again is getting slimmer and slimmer..two different trajectories..It would be nice to see someone step in to change this somehow

This is not an OHSAA violation and the OHSAA will have nothing to say about any of this, other than it being a local matter
"Gilbert, speaking on behalf of the family, said the school district violated the player's constitutional rights when the coaches punished him on May 24 after he missed a voluntary May 20 strengthening and conditioning practice."

I'm sorry, doesn't punishing a student for missing an "optional" team activity thereby imply that the activity was mandatory? If so, I'm sure the OHSAA will have something to say about Wattley's skirting OHSAA regulations around when teams can start their seasons, because it would appear McKinley's mandatory practice schedule started at least 11 days ago.

"Gilbert, speaking on behalf of the family, said the school district violated the player's constitutional rights when the coaches punished him on May 24 after he missed a voluntary May 20 strengthening and conditioning practice."

I'm sorry, doesn't punishing a student for missing an "optional" team activity thereby imply that the activity was mandatory? If so, I'm sure the OHSAA will have something to say about Wattley's skirting OHSAA regulations around when teams can start their seasons, because it would appear McKinley's mandatory practice schedule started at least 11 days ago.
Every coach across the state will say things are optional but in reality they aren’t.

This is not an OHSAA violation and the OHSAA will have nothing to say about any of this, other than it being a local matter
If you're punished for not attending, it's not voluntary. And there's restrictions on when practices can take place.

Sure, everyone wink wink nudge nudge makes them required, but they don't so brazenly make it obvious to the rest of the world.

There's more to this story but it may not matter now. This is beyond stupid on so many levels. Even if there were no pork, when did eating become a punishment? Why not make the kid run extra the next day? If you want to build toughness into a culture, you do it by making a kid eat? How about rewarding the kids who worked hard with pizza and not letting the kid have any. So dumb.