McKinley High School football head coach Marcus Wattley, seven assistant coaches suspended

As is pointed out in the resolution, assistant coaches contracts expire. None of them are guaranteed to be on the staff next year.

Maybe Hall will call the offensive plays himself. It will be interesting to see who he brings in to help on the coaching staff.
Hall is head coach,OC is back with one other coach not mentioned,so he's looking for at least five or six to join his staff.I can think of a few but like you said,it's going to be interesting to see who joins his staff.

It will be significantly more difficult for Hall with the challenge of the assistant coaching staff hires, given his "Interim" status. After the conclusion of the 2021 season the CCS Board will go into a full fledged head coach search. If the school system actually goes into an open enrollment policy, which is the smart play, very experienced and successful applicants will be forthcoming for the HC position. Hall may decide to cast this name into the mix for the "permanent" status, but he will definitely have legitimate competition for the job, even if the upcoming season is very successful, such as wining the Fed, beating Massillon and going deep into the playoffs, all of which is highly doubtful.

This was the predictable outcome in our world of 2021. And it is sad that it had to come to this.
But I think the right decision was made.

Any other result means the inmates are running the asylum.

Well I believe the player got his feelings hurt, blew this out of proportion and the whole thing is a joke. Some may not agree with my opinion and that's their right as my opinion is my right. Dad should be proud of this fiasco.
???

I wonder what Whatley's attorney will do next. According to the articles the attorney says it was one of the assistant coaches. From the Cbus Dispatch "Pattakos blamed an assistant coach, whom he did not name, for inflaming the situation by reporting an exaggerated version to administrators and the player’s family. ".
I wonder which assistant coaches this was?
I have a feeling this isn't over yet. This is a mess

Imagine that religion wasn’t a part of this at all- a coaching staff was still blatantly violating OHSAA voluntary practice rules. Do a lot of teams do that? Probably. But when you break it that obviously, I’d be fine firing the coach for that alone.

Actually if neither religious beliefs NOR practice rules were violated - coaches do get fired for less. He/they made a mistake, but they will be fine. Just own it at this point.

Coaches have been "not fired" for similar offenses too. Maybe if he was longer tenured and successful he would have survived it. All I can say is I would be very disappointed if our coach shamed (I know it's called hazing now) a player in that manner. There are more constructive ways - be better than that.

The kid was not forced to eat anything. There was no intent to harm. May not actually be a fireable offense. That being said they should be fired for being stupid.

So Pups get a HC with experience and a McK pedigree. Kids like playing for him as seen by the number of kids who followed him to STA. In the end it could be an upgrade.

And getting attorneys is what people do now. Playing the religion card could result in a pay day. One of the other assistant coaches allegedly went to the kid's dad and told him about what happened. Rumor is that coach had wanted Wattley's job.

Last edited:
The kid's "religion" (actually prob the parent's religion):

The origins of the Black Hebrew Israelite movement are found in Frank Cherry and William Saunders Crowdy, who both claimed that they had revelations in which they believed that God told them that African Americans are descendants of the Hebrews in the Christian Bible; Cherry established the "Church of the Living God, the Pillar Ground of Truth for All Nations" in 1886, and Crowdy founded the "Church of God and Saints of Christ" in 1896.[8][9][10][11] Cherry taught that the Talmud was authoritative, that Jesus would return in the year A.D. 2000, and in a "square earth surrounded by three layers of heaven."[17] The playing of the piano and the collection of tithes during Black Hebrew Israelite worship was forbidden by Cherry, who also taught the eastward direction of prayer and "denigrated white Jews as interlopers". The Church of God and Saints of Christ, originating in Kansas, retained elements of a messianic connection to Jesus.

Sidewalk ministers may employ provocation to advance a message that is often antisemitic, racist, and xenophobic. This primarily gained notice in the news through their street preaching that purportedly targeted students of Covington Catholic High School in January 2019. One student reported the Black Hebrew Israelites called students 'racists', 'bigots', 'white crackers', 'faggots', and 'incest kids'. The street preachers also alluded to the film Get Out, telling an African American student that they would "harvest his organs".

The origins of the Black Hebrew Israelite movement are found in Frank Cherry and William Saunders Crowdy, who both claimed that they had revelations in which they believed that God told them that African Americans are descendants of the Hebrews in the Christian Bible; Cherry established the "Church of the Living God, the Pillar Ground of Truth for All Nations" in 1886, and Crowdy founded the "Church of God and Saints of Christ" in 1896.[8][9][10][11] Cherry taught that the Talmud was authoritative, that Jesus would return in the year A.D. 2000, and in a "square earth surrounded by three layers of heaven."[17] The playing of the piano and the collection of tithes during Black Hebrew Israelite worship was forbidden by Cherry, who also taught the eastward direction of prayer and "denigrated white Jews as interlopers". The Church of God and Saints of Christ, originating in Kansas, retained elements of a messianic connection to Jesus.

Sidewalk ministers may employ provocation to advance a message that is often antisemitic, racist, and xenophobic. This primarily gained notice in the news through their street preaching that purportedly targeted students of Covington Catholic High School in January 2019. One student reported the Black Hebrew Israelites called students 'racists', 'bigots', 'white crackers', 'faggots', and 'incest kids'. The street preachers also alluded to the film Get Out, telling an African American student that they would "harvest his organs".
Isn't that how it normally starts?????

Imagine OHSAA said you get a reduction in official practice days, a fine, extra training that you have to pay for, and a postseason ban for the coaches.

Or you could fire the coaches and get no punishment at all.

easy decision right? And that’s taking the hazing/religion part out entirely!

Just because you disagree with the religion based on their general fanaticism doesn't mean you can say the kid didn't have deeply held religious beliefs. Actually it's probably the opposite.

Are the BHI probably a hate group? Yes.

Does that mean what happened is okay? No.

He wasn't terminated , his contract was not going to be renewed which runs out in a couple weeks. Think the school board played it right.
Fair enough. I'll guess the attorney is still going to make the argument that the contract would have been renewed but for this incident.

Last edited:
It will be significantly more difficult for Hall with the challenge of the assistant coaching staff hires, given his "Interim" status. After the conclusion of the 2021 season the CCS Board will go into a full fledged head coach search. If the school system actually goes into an open enrollment policy, which is the smart play, very experienced and successful applicants will be forthcoming for the HC position. Hall may decide to cast this name into the mix for the "permanent" status, but he will definitely have legitimate competition for the job, even if the upcoming season is very successful, such as wining the Fed, beating Massillon and going deep into the playoffs, all of which is highly doubtful.

Dear God what a freaking mess. This thing could take years to resolve. Not sure how anyone is going to be able to concentrate on football with all this crap hanging over their heads. And no sides here. Just observation.