Maumee Bay Classic

dion

I was scrolling through the brackets and found it interesting that a two-day (Friday/Saturday) tournament involving over 55 teams would have the semis on Friday evening. I think it's the first tournament of this size where I haven't seen the semis begin late morning or noon.

I just happen to notice the same thing. I was expecting to watch Mattin/Burnett tomorrow morning and realized that it already happened.

1705116078872.png

These finals matchups are insane!

14 #1 ranked wrestlers
4 #1 vs #1 matchups

many weights are harder to win than the state tournament

win probabilities were calculated using the wrestler comparison tool

This tournament has always collided with weather problems and trying to get it over early on Saturday before some bad weather hit. So they move the semis up to Friday - and the weather hits on Friday instead. Hope they get the roads cleared so teams can get to the gym on time Saturday morning. Wonder if there will be a delay - or if a little later start was scheduled for today.

This tournament has always collided with weather problems and trying to get it over early on Saturday before some bad weather hit. So they move the semis up to Friday - and the weather hits on Friday instead. Hope they get the roads cleared so teams can get to the gym on time Saturday morning. Wonder if there will be a delay - or if a little later start was scheduled for today.
That's all well and good, but relative to the consi semis it gives the loser of the championship semis a distinct advantage in that his opponent will have to wrestle a minimum of two matches to get there, possibly three.

That's all well and good, but relative to the consi semis it gives the loser of the championship semis a distinct advantage in that his opponent will have to wrestle a minimum of two matches to get there, possibly three.
I wouldn't disagree. I would say that the semi final loser probably deserves the advantage relative to the early round loser...

Reactions: jct
I wouldn't disagree. I would say that the semi final loser probably deserves the advantage relative to the early round loser...
Did you mean then that you "would" disagree?

1) In the traditional schedule where the semis are wrestled on Saturday the loser of the semi already has the advantage when he only has to win one to wrestle for 3rd whereas the wrestler in the losers bracket has to win twice to wrestle for 3rd. Just think having to wrestle 3 matches to make the consi semis while one guy just sits there is a little much.
2) Additionally, even though seeding is the attempt to separate the four best wrestlers the criteria often doesn't really allow this to happen causing a wrestler to lose much earlier than he should.

Opinions differ, and I appreciate your opinions and what you bring to this board,

Last edited:
Did you mean then that you "would" disagree?
Nope. I said, "I wouldn't disagree." That seems pretty clear...

I know how it works. I'm surprised that you seem a bit outraged by it I guess...

At 2023 Cliff Keen Invitational, Las Vegas, Dec. 1-2, 2023
133-No. 15 Nic Bouzakis (7-1/3rd)

Rnd 32: 133-Tyler Knox (Stanford) MD Nic Bouzakis (OSU), 11-3
C of 16 #1: 133-Nic Bouzakis (OSU) TF Wilfried Tanefeu (Michigan), 21-4 4:58
C of 16 #2: 133-Nic Bouzakis (OSU) TF Ethan Qureshi (Cornell), 21-4 4:09
C of 8 #1: 133-Nic Bouzakis (OSU) MD Dustin Norris (Purdue), 18-5
C of 8 #2: 133-Nic Bouzakis (OSU) MD Zeth Romney (Cal Poly), 20-6
C of 4: 133-Nic Bouzakis (OSU) F Ethan Oakley (APPST), 1:28
C SF: 133-Nic Bouzakis F Derrick Cardinal (SDSU), 3:39

Nope. I said, "I wouldn't disagree." That seems pretty clear...

I know how it works. I'm surprised that you seem a bit outraged by it I guess...

At 2023 Cliff Keen Invitational, Las Vegas, Dec. 1-2, 2023
133-No. 15 Nic Bouzakis (7-1/3rd)

Rnd 32: 133-Tyler Knox (Stanford) MD Nic Bouzakis (OSU), 11-3
C of 16 #1: 133-Nic Bouzakis (OSU) TF Wilfried Tanefeu (Michigan), 21-4 4:58
C of 16 #2: 133-Nic Bouzakis (OSU) TF Ethan Qureshi (Cornell), 21-4 4:09
C of 8 #1: 133-Nic Bouzakis (OSU) MD Dustin Norris (Purdue), 18-5
C of 8 #2: 133-Nic Bouzakis (OSU) MD Zeth Romney (Cal Poly), 20-6
C of 4: 133-Nic Bouzakis (OSU) F Ethan Oakley (APPST), 1:28
C SF: 133-Nic Bouzakis F Derrick Cardinal (SDSU), 3:39
Outraged??????? I wasn't sure if you meant "wouldn't disagree" with what I was saying or with the format. All I was doing was sharing my take, and my surprise at the format. That is all. It didn't make any difference in the least to me. Sorry if that offended you. Just put me on ignore if I seemed that far out of line.

Final Team Scores
PERRYSBURG​
248.5​
BUCKEYE​
169.0​
WADSWORTH​
152.5​
SPRINGBORO​
142.0​
MENTOR​
131.0​
EDISON (Milan)​
113.0​
Spire Academy​
108.5​
PERKINS​
106.0​
WHITMER​
101.5​
LOUISVILLE​
92.0​

As a housekeeping item, SPIRE is not an OHSAA school. OHSAA bylaws allow for Ohio teams to compete against basically whomever they wish, in the most simple of terms.

Championship match results

06​

• 1st Place Match - Ayden Dodd (PERRYSBURG) 22-5 won by decision over Mason Bauer (ASHLAND) 28-1 (Dec 1-0)

113​

• 1st Place Match - Grey Burnett (PERRYSBURG) 28-2 won by decision over Blake Bartos (BUCKEYE) 22-3 (Dec 5-0)

120​

• 1st Place Match - Colyn Limbert (BUCKEYE) 24-3 won by decision over Garrison Weisner (CLAY) 13-3 (Dec 3-1)

126​

• 1st Place Match - Abe Hermes (EDISON (Milan)) 25-3 won by decision over Ryan Kennedy (Spire Academy) 23-3 (Dec 5-3)

132​

• 1st Place Match - Marcus Blaze (PERRYSBURG) 30-1 won by fall over Jaiden Sarabia (WHITMER) 18-5 (Fall 1:08)

138​

• 1st Place Match - Brogan Fielding (Spire Academy) 24-2 won by major decision over Marshall Morency (ANDERSON) 16-4 (MD 15-6)

144​

• 1st Place Match - Nick Blackburn (MENTOR) 25-3 won by decision over Brodie Dominique (ARCHBOLD) 21-1 (Dec 6-5)

150​

• 1st Place Match - Jaxon Joy (WADSWORTH) 27-3 won by fall over Antonio Shelley (MENTOR) 18-5 (Fall 1:26)

157​

• 1st Place Match - Jeremy Ginter (WHITMER) 18-2 won by decision over Kaden King (BUCKEYE) 17-3 (Dec 4-3)

165​

• 1st Place Match - Kohen Horvath (EDISON (Milan)) 26-2 won by decision over Kaiyon McKinney (PERKINS) 16-2 (Dec 5-1)

175​

• 1st Place Match - Luke James (EDISON (Milan)) 26-1 won by fall over Kasen Wellman (AYERSVILLE) 29-2 (Fall 1:54)

190​

• 1st Place Match - Eddie Neitenbach (BUCKEYE) 21-1 won by major decision over Matt Kowalski (SPRINGBORO) 22-4 (MD 17-6)

215​

• 1st Place Match - Alex Taylor (MOUNT VERNON) 20-1 won by decision over Aidan Weimer (SPRINGBORO) 17-2 (Dec 3-2)

285​

• 1st Place Match - Austin Dye (MIDVIEW) 24-3 won in sudden victory - 1 over Alex Griffith (GALION) 19-5 (SV-1 3-1)