Martin RPI

I'm not sure why, it definitely isn't broken in SWOH so, why not fix it where it is broken and leave the rest alone.

I don't know football well enough to know if it works well there for seeding, but you have to have some type of fair, equitable way to select teams for the playoffs, in basketball and soccer and baseball that isn't an issue.

Look around D4 as well. Everyone in Ohio had Richmond Heights penciled in as the state champion, the RPI had them #7 in Ohio even though the same RPI had them with the toughest schedule in Ohio. In SWOH it had 4 Cincy teams and 2 Columbus teams ranked in the region above Russia and Fort Loramie. Nobody who follows small school basketball would believe those rankings.

The only way to get an accurate seeding is to incorporate the eye-test

The state wants a uniform way of doing things. Each district is different in the way they run their tournaments.

Some allow teams to "pass" when placing themselves on bracket, some do not. Some make the #1 and #2 seeds go opposite of each other, some districts allow that to happen.

I don't think there will ever be a perfect system but I do respect that the state is looking for ways to make it the same for everyone.

As far as the scouting element goes - I am not really buying that. You can get as much or as little film as you desire now with HUDL. Every game is available and there for you to view.

The state wants a uniform way of doing things. Each district is different in the way they run their tournaments.

Some allow teams to "pass" when placing themselves on bracket, some do not. Some make the #1 and #2 seeds go opposite of each other, some districts allow that to happen.

I don't think there will ever be a perfect system but I do respect that the state is looking for ways to make it the same for everyone.

As far as the scouting element goes - I am not really buying that. You can get as much or as little film as you desire now with HUDL. Every game is available and there for you to view.
Agree with you on scouting.

For years some districts play opening round games at the better seeds home while other districts play at neutral sites. As long as the teams in that district all play by the same rules (home vs neutral, seeding vs RPI, etc) it is fine. If you had inequities within districts I fully support a level playing field but making SWOH go by RPI bc all the coaches in NWOH or elsewhere like it is bad. Hopefully they allow the district athletic boards to poll their individual schools and accept/reject by division. Same with passing, if the CDAB hates teams passing why make the SWDAB eliminate passing.

If SWOH has anything to improve when it comes to "seeding" it is going to an open draw in D4 Dayton like they did years ago in D2

I'm not sure why, it definitely isn't broken in SWOH so, why not fix it where it is broken and leave the rest alone.

I don't know football well enough to know if it works well there for seeding, but you have to have some type of fair, equitable way to select teams for the playoffs, in basketball and soccer and baseball that isn't an issue.

Look around D4 as well. Everyone in Ohio had Richmond Heights penciled in as the state champion, the RPI had them #7 in Ohio even though the same RPI had them with the toughest schedule in Ohio. In SWOH it had 4 Cincy teams and 2 Columbus teams ranked in the region above Russia and Fort Loramie. Nobody who follows small school basketball would believe those rankings.

The only way to get an accurate seeding is to incorporate the eye-test
It's possible that every region of the state feels their area's system is not broken. The concern is that everyone is doing things differently and OHSAA has an interest in finding the best way for the entire state to decide things the same way. Nothing wrong with that.

The football system has somewhat been grandfathered in so there are few complaints and since adding more teams, it makes it easier.

The debate will be that since everyone makes the post season, a seed from 1-4 can make little difference. I understand your argument about the possible losing team. But in most scenarios if a Richmond Heights was to be a 4th seed they would not want to play a higher seed right away and would still take an easier path if possible for a game or two.

It has been proven in basketball and other sports ratings that some accuracy will be sacrificed for consistency across the state. There is not a state wide rating system for any sport that they eye-test can be used. It's a fact that people in Toledo have no idea what a team in Portsmouth looks like or Cincy to Youngstown, but they are still asked to rate them.

Agree with you on scouting.

For years some districts play opening round games at the better seeds home while other districts play at neutral sites. As long as the teams in that district all play by the same rules (home vs neutral, seeding vs RPI, etc) it is fine. If you had inequities within districts I fully support a level playing field but making SWOH go by RPI bc all the coaches in NWOH or elsewhere like it is bad. Hopefully they allow the district athletic boards to poll their individual schools and accept/reject by division. Same with passing, if the CDAB hates teams passing why make the SWDAB eliminate passing.

If SWOH has anything to improve when it comes to "seeding" it is going to an open draw in D4 Dayton like they did years ago in D2
There is no proof that NWOH coaches want to use the RPI or any coaches for that matter. It is just the area where the information is generated and a Board decided to poll the area in an attempt to make the state post season the same for everyone.

Last edited:
There is no proof that NWOH coaches want to use the RPI or any coaches for that matter. It is just the area where the information is generated and a Board decided to poll the area in and attempt to make the state post season the same for everyone.
And the post season does indeed need to work the same for everyone. East district doing their own thing needs to change.

There is no proof that NWOH coaches want to use the RPI or any coaches for that matter. It is just the area where the information is generated and a Board decided to poll the area in an attempt to make the state post season the same for everyone.
I used areas as hypothetical, I have no idea who supports what but coaches voting to give up a piece of control in the seeding would surprise me.

No idea why there would be a push to make all regions the same. Please explain specifically how Taft's post-season process in SWOH impacts, positively or negatively, SVSM's post-season process in NEOH. Now if Dayton and Cincy, within the same district, did things differently I would agree 100% with uniformity.

Columbus D4 has 19 teams and an open draw while Dayton has 26 teams split into two separate sectionals. Should one of them have to conform to the way the other does things?

Thanks for the fun hoops conversation in August!

I used areas as hypothetical, I have no idea who supports what but coaches voting to give up a piece of control in the seeding would surprise me.

No idea why there would be a push to make all regions the same. Please explain specifically how Taft's post-season process in SWOH impacts, positively or negatively, SVSM's post-season process in NEOH. Now if Dayton and Cincy, within the same district, did things differently I would agree 100% with uniformity.

Columbus D4 has 19 teams and an open draw while Dayton has 26 teams split into two separate sectionals. Should one of them have to conform to the way the other does things?

I suppose you do not have to agree, but the system should be the same for everyone. Taft's path does not impact SVSM path. But the process they follow should be the same. I would not suggest that any region is best or that we all need to follow the NEOH process but it makes sense that everyone should be following the same rules when we are trying to reach the single goal. Or is it that you feel SWOH should just have an easier process?

I suppose you do not have to agree, but the system should be the same for everyone. Taft's path does not impact SVSM path. But the process they follow should be the same. I would not suggest that any region is best or that we all need to follow the NEOH process but it makes sense that everyone should be following the same rules when we are trying to reach the single goal. Or is it that you feel SWOH should just have an easier process?
There is no way to decide whose is "easier" because all the teams in the districts play by the same rules. If Taft and CHCA were playing by different rules, that is a problem. But if all the teams in SWOH play by the same rules and all the teams in NEO play by the same rules Taft's rules can't be easier than SVSM. Both teams play by the same rules as everyone they are competing against to get to the Final Four.

Maybe my mind would be changed if we had something that was closer to reality than the RPI but the flaws I have brought up show it is not a reliable system to accurately seed teams. Over time you will see many schools schedule lighter since they have to win games to get seeded higher. Like I said, I love the RPI bc it is another thing to talk about but I think it is a flawed seeding tool.

Since this would be an effort to make things equal across the state who is in charge of starting the girls basketball RPI? And who will come up with the system for soccer and baseball?

Since this would be an effort to make things equal across the state who is in charge of starting the girls basketball RPI? And who will come up with the system for soccer and baseball?

It is essentially just a formula that you can put into an excel sheet (I know it is more than that and it takes man power to organize and construct, but that is what it is in a nutshell).

Coaches/AD's would be responsible for inputting schedules and reporting scores.

OHSAA hires a point person for each sport. Pretty simple actually.

There is no way to decide whose is "easier" because all the teams in the districts play by the same rules. If Taft and CHCA were playing by different rules, that is a problem. But if all the teams in SWOH play by the same rules and all the teams in NEO play by the same rules Taft's rules can't be easier than SVSM. Both teams play by the same rules as everyone they are competing against to get to the Final Four.

Maybe my mind would be changed if we had something that was closer to reality than the RPI but the flaws I have brought up show it is not a reliable system to accurately seed teams. Over time you will see many schools schedule lighter since they have to win games to get seeded higher. Like I said, I love the RPI bc it is another thing to talk about but I think it is a flawed seeding tool.

That's the point. Currently not all teams are being placed, voted on, bracketed, seeded, or finding locations using the same rules. This is what the OHSAA is looking into. To see if they can create a system that works across the entire state that will make every team follow the same process of making the tournament.

Some of the "flaws" you have mentioned would be an extreme and quite possibly could never happen. Like the best team in a division going 0-22 playing a toughest schedule. You may need to familiarize yourself with football to be able to see this process is already somewhat in place and has been working for years.

The current RPI, which can be tweaked, is simply a formula and can be used for almost any sport. So entering the girls could be done without problems. As long as accurate data is provided, which is the same for football and the boys basketball site currently.

That's the point. Currently not all teams are being placed, voted on, bracketed, seeded, or finding locations using the same rules. This is what the OHSAA is looking into. To see if they can create a system that works across the entire state that will make every team follow the same process of making the tournament.

Some of the "flaws" you have mentioned would be an extreme and quite possibly could never happen. Like the best team in a division going 0-22 playing a toughest schedule. You may need to familiarize yourself with football to be able to see this process is already somewhat in place and has been working for years.

The current RPI, which can be tweaked, is simply a formula and can be used for almost any sport. So entering the girls could be done without problems. As long as accurate data is provided, which is the same for football and the boys basketball site currently.
The 0-22 is definitely far-fetched. But Taft being the 6th seed in Cincy, while clearly being one of the best teams in Cincy regardless of division, is a real flaw that would need addressed. I'm not a fan of changing things just to make it equal unless a competitive advantage is had by someone, which is not the case here. Taft doesn't have an advantage over Bloom Carroll bc they seed differently.

I also get that this is a formula that is easy to duplicate across sports but what is real tough is finding an Eitel or Martin that have the knowledge, time and interest in the specific sports to manage this.

The 0-22 is definitely far-fetched. But Taft being the 6th seed in Cincy, while clearly being one of the best teams in Cincy regardless of division, is a real flaw that would need addressed. I'm not a fan of changing things just to make it equal unless a competitive advantage is had by someone, which is not the case here. Taft doesn't have an advantage over Bloom Carroll bc they seed differently.

I also get that this is a formula that is easy to duplicate across sports but what is real tough is finding an Eitel or Martin that have the knowledge, time and interest in the specific sports to manage this.
The Martin RPI had Taft as the 6th best team in D3 in the Cincy area?

It would become a program site with data entry being completed by each schools AD after games are played each week. Not much different than entering the scores in Arbiter. Or sending out a tweet like most schools do.

The Martin RPI had Taft as the 6th best team in D3 in the Cincy area?
Yes...looking at the DIII Region 12 rankings the seeding would have been:

Cincy - Georgetown/CHCA/Gamble/CCD/SCD/Mariemont/Taft

If you throw in Dayton teams too they are 13th.

It is beating a dead horse but Georgetown, who they killed in the Regional, was ranked 37 spots in front of them in Ohio

Yes...looking at the DIII Region 12 rankings the seeding would have been:

Cincy - Georgetown/CHCA/Gamble/CCD/SCD/Mariemont/Taft

If you throw in Dayton teams too they are 13th.

It is beating a dead horse but Georgetown, who they killed in the Regional, was ranked 37 spots in front of them in Ohio
Teams are not seeded by region so that is irrelevant for district seeding seeding. Looking at the District level they were #2.

Final AP State Poll had Taft 9th. Didn't make a difference in the tournament.

Teams are not seeded by region so that is irrelevant for district seeding seeding. Looking at the District level they were #2.

Final AP State Poll had Taft 9th. Didn't make a difference in the tournament.
You are correct, but the district rankings on there were done after the coaches seed meeting determined what district each team was in. The teams in District 2 (DC/Taft/IL/Arcanum/Etc.) aren't always in the same district, their coaches chose the same district at the meeting after they were seeded. If the RPI was used last year to do seeding it would have used their Regional ranking which is what I listed above.

I agree with what you said earlier, state-wide polls are worthless bc they don't see everyone. And that ranking supports that.

Just 10 weeks away.

if you go 1-8 against teams above .500, you shouldn't be rewarded. If you counteract that by scheduling weaker teams, there will be teams with worse records that play tougher schedules that will still be ranked higher. Reality is if Taft goes 3-6 against those teams above .500, they would've been in the top 15 instead of 49. Exact same way football scheduling works. if you wanna schedule juggernauts, that's fine, but if you don't beat them it's not going to help your standing!!! That is not my opinion, that is literally how it works.

Also, the RPI can be used for any team sport. its the same formula for all team sports, so it's very easy to introduce it into other team sports.

if you go 1-8 against teams above .500, you shouldn't be rewarded. If you counteract that by scheduling weaker teams, there will be teams with worse records that play tougher schedules that will still be ranked higher. Reality is if Taft goes 3-6 against those teams above .500, they would've been in the top 15 instead of 49. Exact same way football scheduling works. if you wanna schedule juggernauts, that's fine, but if you don't beat them it's not going to help your standing!!! That is not my opinion, that is literally how it works.

Also, the RPI can be used for any team sport. its the same formula for all team sports, so it's very easy to introduce it into other team sports.
Looking just at their Ohio schedule all of their losses were to D1/D2 teams that were 132-27 combined and outside of Gahanna Lincoln, they were in every game. You would want to use a system that says they are the 49th best D3 team in Ohio?? Your scenario is making my point, without the benefit of the eye-test, which the coaches provide, you can't get an accurate seeding. Using the system will get you uniformity, but in SWOH you would sacrifice accuracy.

I think football is a little different because you are trying to qualify for the playoffs within their tool. In basketball you are using it solely as a ranking system

You are correct, but the district rankings on there were done after the coaches seed meeting determined what district each team was in. The teams in District 2 (DC/Taft/IL/Arcanum/Etc.) aren't always in the same district, their coaches chose the same district at the meeting after they were seeded. If the RPI was used last year to do seeding it would have used their Regional ranking which is what I listed above.

I agree with what you said earlier, state-wide polls are worthless bc they don't see everyone. And that ranking supports that.
Yes, there are 4 districts in the SW but 2 are in Dayton and 2 are in Cincy for the separate seeding. SW D3 has 4 super sectionals from Cincy and 4 super sectionals from Dayton with the winners crossing over to play each other in a district final game. The District is technically one game.

Looking just at their Ohio schedule all of their losses were to D1/D2 teams that were 132-27 combined and outside of Gahanna Lincoln, they were in every game. You would want to use a system that says they are the 49th best D3 team in Ohio?? Your scenario is making my point, without the benefit of the eye-test, which the coaches provide, you can't get an accurate seeding. Using the system will get you uniformity, but in SWOH you would sacrifice accuracy.

I think football is a little different because you are trying to qualify for the playoffs within their tool. In basketball you are using it solely as a ranking system

Yes, we've established they played a tough schedule, everyone knows that. If RPI was used as the ranking system, and Taft wants to play that schedule, that's fine. But they're going to have to win more than 1 out of 9 of those games. Literally just 3 of those 9 and they're up 30 more spots. And that goes to exactly what I'm saying where you have to find a sweet spot for your scheduling.

It's not any different than football. The point of the ranking system is the higher the seed you are, the easier your path will be come tournament time. If you want to play the toughest schedule in the state, you risk being a lower seed if you don't win some more of those games. Yes football has a cutoff at 16 teams per region, but you're not just fighting for the 16th spot. You're trying to get the highest seed you can possibly get.

There will always be teams, fans and coaches that feel they were not ranked properly even with the eye test voting. BUt the cream always rises to the top and regardless of who you play in the first or second round, if you are good and ranked ANYWHERE you will move on. Again, the goal of OHSAA is to find a uniformed system that can work across the state and provide every team the same process.

Yes, there are 4 districts in the SW but 2 are in Dayton and 2 are in Cincy for the separate seeding. SW D3 has 4 super sectionals from Cincy and 4 super sectionals from Dayton with the winners crossing over to play each other in a district final game. The District is technically one game.
Yes, we've established they played a tough schedule, everyone knows that. If RPI was used as the ranking system, and Taft wants to play that schedule, that's fine. But they're going to have to win more than 1 out of 9 of those games. Literally just 3 of those 9 and they're up 30 more spots. And that goes to exactly what I'm saying where you have to find a sweet spot for your scheduling.

It's not any different than football. The point of the ranking system is the higher the seed you are, the easier your path will be come tournament time. If you want to play the toughest schedule in the state, you risk being a lower seed if you don't win some more of those games. Yes football has a cutoff at 16 teams per region, but you're not just fighting for the 16th spot. You're trying to get the highest seed you can possibly get.
Agree on the structure of the tournament, you told me Martin had them ranked #2 but that is their ranking of teams grouped in districts by the coaches at the tournament draw, not the whole district/region. If RPI was used to do the seeding they would be 6th or 7th in Cincy

Difference is in how we see seeds, I think they have been, and should be, a ranking of the best teams while you guys think it should be a seeding based on a uniform formula that may or may not represent who the best teams are. Provides for good back and forth.

And I don't believe the change would have any impact on the teams like Taft, who like you said will run through the tournament regardless of seed. It impacts the other 8ish teams that are trying to make their season last as long as possible before Taft gets them.

Agree on the structure of the tournament, you told me Martin had them ranked #2 but that is their ranking of teams grouped in districts by the coaches at the tournament draw, not the whole district/region. If RPI was used to do the seeding they would be 6th or 7th in Cincy

Difference is in how we see seeds, I think they have been, and should be, a ranking of the best teams while you guys think it should be a seeding based on a uniform formula that may or may not represent who the best teams are. Provides for good back and forth.

And I don't believe the change would have any impact on the teams like Taft, who like you said will run through the tournament regardless of seed. It impacts the other 8ish teams that are trying to make their season last as long as possible before Taft gets them.
And that would be because they lost so many games. You do not get credit for losing games.

This guy feels that the OHSAA is trying to develop a system that can be implemented across the state to give everyone involved the same advantages and disadvantages when it comes to seeding and bracketing. Nothing more.

You seem to feel that Taft, if they would be an 8th seed, will go after a 1-7 seed in the first game. What will not change is that there are 21 spots on the bracket and even as the 8 seed would have 14 options.

And that would be because they lost so many games. You do not get credit for losing games.

This guy feels that the OHSAA is trying to develop a system that can be implemented across the state to give everyone involved the same advantages and disadvantages when it comes to seeding and bracketing. Nothing more.

You seem to feel that Taft, if they would be an 8th seed, will go after a 1-7 seed in the first game. What will not change is that there are 21 spots on the bracket and even as the 8 seed would have 14 options.
Right, that is where we disagree. In a sport where everyone makes the playoffs I believe good teams should schedule extremely tough games to test their guys and get ready for the tournament knowing a good showing, say a close loss, won't hurt with seeding. I wouldn't want a winter where teams schedule lite bc they have an eye on how it impacts their seed if they lose.

There were four brackets in Cincy and Taft went into Cincy 2 which led seeds 2-15 to populate Cincy 1/3/4 because they wanted to avoid Taft. If six teams had to go up before Taft their season would have been dependent on whether they picked the bracket Taft thought was their best district or regional match-up. Taft isn't going to pick a sectional bracket based on which Cincy team is already in it, knowing they can beat all of them by somewhere between 15 and 85 points, they will pick the bracket that has the best regional match-up. Personal opinion, but I like having the teams ranked best to worst (as close as we can get to it) and now Georgetown (4 seed) can pick a path like last year that gets them to a regional.

Right, that is where we disagree. In a sport where everyone makes the playoffs I believe good teams should schedule extremely tough games to test their guys and get ready for the tournament knowing a good showing, say a close loss, won't hurt with seeding. I wouldn't want a winter where teams schedule lite bc they have an eye on how it impacts their seed if they lose.

There were four brackets in Cincy and Taft went into Cincy 2 which led seeds 2-15 to populate Cincy 1/3/4 because they wanted to avoid Taft. If six teams had to go up before Taft their season would have been dependent on whether they picked the bracket Taft thought was their best district or regional match-up. Taft isn't going to pick a sectional bracket based on which Cincy team is already in it, knowing they can beat all of them by somewhere between 15 and 85 points, they will pick the bracket that has the best regional match-up. Personal opinion, but I like having the teams ranked best to worst (as close as we can get to it) and now Georgetown (4 seed) can pick a path like last year that gets them to a regional.
I think most would still schedule tough games for the experience and understand that everyone makes the tournament. I believe coaches care more about their team being better by Feb then they do about seeding. If given the choice of the two.

In your scenario we already know that 3 of those teams will probably on get 2 games. And in last years brackets, two top 8 teams did not face each other until the 3rd games or sectional finals. I doubt that would change.

I think most would still schedule tough games for the experience and understand that everyone makes the tournament. I believe coaches care more about their team being better by Feb then they do about seeding. If given the choice of the two.

In your scenario we already know that 3 of those teams will probably on get 2 games. And in last years brackets, two top 8 teams did not face each other until the 3rd games or sectional finals. I doubt that would change.
I hope you are correct!

We could go on about scenarios for days and both probably be correct on different things. My problem with the RPI as a seeding tool is just how far off the rankings were. If the OHSAA must have all the districts use something I hope they find something better or fine-tune it so that it can be closer to reality. There weren't 48 teams in all of Ohio better than Taft let alone just in D3.

There will always be teams, fans and coaches that feel they were not ranked properly even with the eye test voting. BUt the cream always rises to the top and regardless of who you play in the first or second round, if you are good and ranked ANYWHERE you will move on. Again, the goal of OHSAA is to find a uniformed system that can work across the state and provide every team the same process.
I agree wholeheartedly. It's not football where not everyone makes playoffs - although almost everyone does now. To be best, you have to beat the best. A tough game a round earlier just means you inherit that seed's bracket when you beat them. And if you lose, you get to find out earlier.

To be best, you have to beat the best. A tough game a round earlier just means you inherit that seed's bracket when you beat them. And if you lose, you get to find out earlier.
I don't disagree with that, but that is a reasonable "fan" position.

Ask coaches you know if in the seed meeting they would rather have Taft (substitute clear #1 seed in their bracket) on the bracket before them or have to place themselves on it not knowing where Taft will go. The vast majority I know want Taft up there so they can avoid them, like everyone good in Cincy did last year.

By this logic, why even seed teams? Why not just put them on a bracket alphabetically if the best teams will find a way to move on? That’s obviously an extreme example, but you’re essentially arguing that the seeding mechanism doesn’t matter, as long as all districts do it the same, right?

And there’s where I have a problem. Why must they all do it the same? What’s the benefit? Who is hurt by districts doing things differently? You’ve already admitted that the cream will rise to the top, so why should the OHSAA care?

I’m a fan of local control when it comes to school issues because one-size-fits-all approaches are often unwieldy and generally only serve to placate bureaucrats at the state level. You know why different districts have different approaches? It‘s because the state isn’t homogenous. NWO could not be much more different than Central Ohio in many ways, so why not let the districts send their teams to regionals in the best way they see fit? Why even have different districts if you’re not going to let them operate?