MAC 2021

Toledo playing in Bahamas, which I think is just some gambling scam. Almost no attendance. Middle of the road mid-majors. Lighting sucks. Leaky roof. The win the tournament though, one point over Tulane.
Solid win over Tulane.

I went to the Bahamas Bowl years back when Ohio played in it and had the time of my life. Highly recommend

Kent beats George Washington, BG beats Milwaukee. Buffalo locked in a tight one with SFA. Hopefully they pull it out. Need the MAC to keep winning games like this

Unless they've built a highway, that's not in MY budget, lol.
Fortunately I was able to find relatively cheap flights. I’m all about the sketchy discount airlines.

More tournament games today
Akron vs Evansville (Akron really needs this one after dropping two straight in ugly fashion)
Southern Utah vs BG (solid matchup)
Buffalo vs Illinois State (Buffalo should be favored, hopefully they rebound from loss yesterday)
Western Illinois vs EMU (EMU probably underdog here)
Coastal Carolina vs Toledo (good matchup, championship game. Go rockets!)
East Tennessee vs Kent (good matchup, championship game, go Kent!)

Would love to see two championship wins today! I think both Kent and Toledo are favorites. Toledo more so than Kent

Toledo went down 80 zillion, came back to win it. Rollins for 35 pts. Played essentially five guys. Won't be anything left of them come tournament.

The Zips started out okay in an exhibition against WV then started the season by beating two little sisters, then took OSU down the final second, then looked awful in a tournament in Florida (1-2). They get Marshall tonight which should be a good game. We have no idea what they are yet.

Ohio lost on the road to undefeated LSU. I was encouraged we fought back to tie the game in the 2nd after open the game down 12-0.

Miami lost by just 1 to UC last night. Akron knocked off a solid Marshall squad.

Some good games coming up this weekend.

Akron had a two point win against a decent Marshall team. Marshall missed a shot to win with 3 seconds left, UA rebounded and was fouled then made the two shots to win.

Graduate transfer KJ Walton, a transfer from Ball State left the team.

Toledo has played five players 30 minutes per. Their D1 opponents combined record is 11-20. This doesn't count the NAIA they beat up on 36-96. Toledo should get one in the loss column just for scheduling that.

Last edited:
Some big games today

Miami @ Indiana State
NIU @ Dayton
St Francis @ Ohio
Buffalo @ St Bonnie
Toledo @ MSU
Southern @ Akron

Toledo, mostly interested to see how the starting five match-up. We have one guy on the bench that could possibly contribute but he's in the dog house because after the border opened up, he went hope to Canada to see family over the Summer. This apparently did not set well with Coach. smh He did get some time in the 60 point win over the NAIA school. last guy off the bench I believe.

Toledo was up 20 on Richmond at the half and ended up losing a tight one :(
EMU got a solid win in 4 OT's over FIU.

Kent plays WVU today.

Toledo was up 20 on Richmond at the half and ended up losing a tight one :(
EMU got a solid win in 4 OT's over FIU.

Kent plays WVU today.
Ran out of gas. That's what happens when the coach doesn't use his bench for health maintenance. Still, being up 20 on Richmond isn't something to sneeze at. Good program.

Indiana State @ NIU today is cancelled because of COVID, which means MAC OOC play is now over. Conference play starts next Tuesday.

Based on OOC play, I'd break the MAC into 3 tiers.

Tier 1
Ohio
Buffalo
Toledo

Tier 2
Akron
Kent
Miami
BG
EMU
Ball State

Tier 3
WMU
NIU
CMU

4 games this weekend. Lots of early shuffling of MAC schedules due to COVID.

Friday
Kent @ Ohio

Saturday
NIU @ Toledo
Ball State @ EMU
Miami @ BG

I'll take the home team in all, but outside the Toledo game we should have three very competitive games.

Ohio has been playing very well. The defense is good enough that we can withstand an off shooting night against most teams, especially at home. Mark Sears looks like a potential MAC POTY. Biggest concern at this point is that Boals has been playing with a very short bench. McDay has left the team. We cannot afford any injuries.

Sounds like Ohio has added Dayton transfer Luke Fraizer. He is enrolled and will become eligible when winter semester starts. He is coming off an injury last season, but he has the potential to immediately step-in and fill in McDay's role.

The Bobcats (12-2, 3-0 MAC) practically blew an 18 point lead before regrouping to post the win over a gutty Kent State (7-7,2-2 MAC) team by just 8-points. Mark Sears (Muscle Shoals, AL) had a game-high 28 points to lead the Bobcats. He also 6 boards to go with 3 assists. Ben Vander Plas (Ripon, WI) chipped in with 20 points, 6 boards, and 5 assists. Sincere Carry (Solon, Ohio) led Kent State with 26 points, 8 boards, and 6 assists.

Ohio routs Miami on the road. At 14-2 having watched this team I feel confident saying this team is even better than last year and I don't even think it's close. Carter's return has been huge. His chemistry with BVP is amazing.

Sears is really, really good. I hope with these new transfer rules he isn't gone to some P5 after this season. If he stays at Ohio next year I think he is in the NBA the following season.

Toledo @ Ohio tonight.

I was very close to making the drive down to Athens but with the 6 PM tip for TV I talked myself out of it. Despite the awkward start time I expect a good crowd in Athens. With the bypass on 33 from Nelsonville now it's an easier drive from Cbus than is was a decade ago. Plus the students have been turning out big...

Toledo beats Ohio. Really entertaining game as Toledo got out ahead and as Ohio went on runs attempting a comeback Toledo continued to hit tough shots. Rollins with a heck of a performance. Gotta consider him favorite for MAC poty now. Really looking forward to the rematch in toledo in a couple weeks.

Toledo pulls ahead of Buffalo in the 2nd for a good win last night.

Two very big games on Friday as Ohio visits Buffalo and Akron visits Toledo. Could very well be a preview of the MAC semifinals

Toledo's starting five is about as smart a team as they've had maybe since Coach Nichols. I said early this season, they have 4, possibly 5 starters that will be pro capable somewhere. Excellent hands, pass and catch. Quick thinkers when things don't go right. It makes the bench look a little worse than it actually is. There's some developed talent there that could start on other league tems. There's also some awfully raw talent looking lost on the court, for now. There's also not single senior on the team. Whether they can keep the Scoobies together for another year..... ?

That's the coach's challenge IMO, get them productive or able to slow the game down long enough for the starters to rest, without giving away the game.

Ohio visits Toledo tonight. Vegas has Toledo -3.

During the first matchup Toledo did a good job (for the most part) limiting Sears' dribble penetration. Sears played better in half 2 than half 1 so hopefully the halftime adjustments from Boals from last time will carry over. Toledo hit a lot of big shots in the 2nd half but I felt Ohio's defense was doing well limiting easy buckets. Won't be easier for Ohio going on the road...

Hopefully there's a crowd equal to what they had in Athens. I'm a bit too bushed to go. They're doing a "white out." Who comes up with this dumb ? Colors are midnight blue and gold. Why not gold out? Or blue out? Or striped midnite blue and gold jammies night? smh.