Low-Key Favorite movies

PantherProud

What are some of your favorite movies that weren't big hits or widely marketed that have flown under the radar for most?

Sort of like a cult classic, but just to you.

Some of mine:

After the Sunset (Jewelry heist in the tropics, watch for Salma Hayak alone)

Executive Decision (Special Forces board a 747, mid-air to stop a hijacking)

Club Dread (IMO far better than either Super Troopers or anything else from Broken Lizard)

Accepted (a group of kids who don't get accepted to college, start their own)

Pan (outside of Hook, IMO the best twist on the Peter Pan story)

Last edited:

For brevity, I stayed in this century.

The Salton Sea - 2002. Val Kilmer, Vincent D'Onofrio, and tweakers.

Lost in Translation - 2003. Drama. Bill Murray's favorite film of his own, with 19-year-old Scarlett Johannsen. Directed by Sofia Coppola.

Apocalypto - 2006. Written and directed by Mel Gibson. Outstanding. The end of the Mayans. Native languages with subtitles. "I am Jaguar Paw! This is my forest!"

Children of Men - 2006. Julianne Moore, Clive Owen. One of the best Sci-Fi films of all time, not fantasy or horror.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - 2007. Brad Pitt, Casey Affleck, Sam Shepard..

Eastern Promises - 2007. Viggo Mortensen, Naomi Watts.. The Russian mob in London.

Appaloosa - 2008. Ed Harris, Viggo Mortenson, Renee Zellweger. One of the few westerns written by Robert B. Parker.

In Bruges - 2008. Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson. Hit men sent on vacation. Everybody dies, but in a humorous way.

Winter's Bone - 2010. A 19-year-old Jennifer Lawrence. Ozark Mts. and meth.

Killing Them Softly - 2012. Brad Pitt, Casey Affleck, Ray Liotta, James Gandolfini. A mob enforcer is sent in to restore order.

Last edited:
Fried Green Tomatoes
Forever Young

In my neighborhood one that is not a low key favorite, but probably is outside of it is The Five Heartbeats!

Bulworth. Outstanding late 90s political satire. Warren Beaty and Halle Berry. I turned it on Netflix thinking I was getting Bowfinger, and it's now in my top five.

Yes! I hate that I can't buy this on any streaming service. I did watch a bootleg copy on Youtube a few months ago though.

Two others that are also Low-Key (that unfortunately you also can't currently purchase on any streaming service):

Airheads

Hoodwinked
Nice. I happen to own this on VHS. Lol. I recently checked on different streaming services and could not find either.

True Romance, Wild Things, Juice, The Program, American History X, Sweet Home Alabama, This Means War, House Party, Above the Rim. I'm sure I have several others, but these come to mind pretty quickly.
Sweet Home Alabama & This Means War… ghey.

I would have to disagree on this one. Personally I think Adam Sandler is over hyped up and his movies are repetitive. If I was to chose a movie I'd have to go with Benchwarmers.
Not every movie is a hit, and I feel the same about Will Farrell. I really don't like any of his movies other than Elf. I do like most of Sandler's movies. Waterboy, Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison, Mr. Deeds are the top 4, he's also good in the remake of the Longest Yard.