Low-Key Favorite movies

This place doesn't seem to be a big foreign language fan base but I believe Das Boot is one of the best war films ever made. Not too many times you sympathize with Nazis but this film made you feel the intensity and claustrophobia of serving on a submarine.

The Boat that Rocked (Pirate Radio). A not a good movie that I liked. The BBC was at one time, the government's mouthpiece.

Not every movie is a hit, and I feel the same about Will Farrell. I really don't like any of his movies other than Elf. I do like most of Sandler's movies. Waterboy, Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison, Mr. Deeds are the top 4, he's also good in the remake of the Longest Yard.

50 First Dates and Wedding Singer are good too.

I like the Grown Ups movies, but know many don't.

I'd also throw some love at Anger Management and I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry.

As for serious Adam Sandler, he's good in Punch-Drunk Love, Regin Over Me and Uncut Gems.
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry is very underrated in my opinion. Sandler is very hit or miss with me. He either makes a movie I want to watch over and over again or one that I watch once and hope I never have to see again.

I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry is very underrated in my opinion. Sandler is very hit or miss with me. He either makes a movie I want to watch over and over again or one that I watch once and hope I never have to see again.

I'd agree with that, and also agree above it's true for Will Ferrell as well.

This place doesn't seem to be a big foreign language fan base but I believe Das Boot is one of the best war films ever made. Not too many times you sympathize with Nazis but this film made you feel the intensity and claustrophobia of serving on a submarine.
Not being sympathetic, but Kriegsmarine and certainly not all Nazi's.

Excellent movie.

Was talking the other day with the guys and we were re-visiting our punk rock days in the late'70s early 80s. The Rock critics fawned all over the NYC & London scenes but if you wanted the major leagues with regards to pure punk ethos nothing was more authentic than the LA scene at this time. Decline of Western Civilization did an excellent job of capturing this in film>

There was a movie called "Last Flag Flying' 5 or 6 years ago with Steve Carrell, Bryan Cranston and Lawrence Fishburne about 3 Vietnam vets who reunite after one of their sons is killed in Iraq. I thought it was pretty good yet it was pretty much undiscovered.

A couple of mine:

Eddie and the Cruisers - I think it bombed at the box office but did well on HBO.
About Time - I watch just about any time travel movie. Definitely not a sci-fi movie but I did really like it.

Take Me Home Tonight

Topper Grace, Dan Fogler, Chris Pratt, Anna Faris, Teresa Palmer, Michael Biehn, Bob Odenkirk, Michael Ian Black and Demetri Martin.

As good as the movie is the music video the cast did in conjunction. An absolute homage to 80’s films.

Last edited:
That Topher Grace image reminded me a one of my favorite low keys

Be Kind Rewind, with Jack Black (from my earlier low key Mars Attacks) and first movie I recall watching with Mos Def, who is in another low key favorite of mine: Something the Lord Made.

That Topher Grace image reminded me a one of my favorite low keys

Be Kind Rewind, with Jack Black (from my earlier low key Mars Attacks) and first movie I recall watching with Mos Def, who is in another low key favorite of mine: Something the Lord Made.
Something the Lord Made is outstanding. Stunningly based on a true story.
Another low key favorite of mine is The Saint of Fort Washington. Starring Danny Glover and Matt Dillon. Puts a up close and personal look at homelessness while feeling the day to day struggles.

Something the Lord Made is outstanding. Stunningly based on a true story.
Another low key favorite of mine is The Saint of Fort Washington. Starring Danny Glover and Matt Dillon. Puts a up close and personal look at homelessness while feeling the day to day struggles.
I'll give it a look this week. DIllon can be hit or miss for me, mostly hit. Glover I almost always like his roles.