Longest drive for a district game?

Did Louisville and Canton South choose to go to the Ashtabula District, or were they pre-assigned?

If they chose that district, Ashtabula shouldn't have to give up one of the 3 games. It isn't their fault two teams 100 miles away chose that spot on the bracket.
They were seeded high enough that they had the opportunity to choose between the Boardman district and the Ashtabula district. #1 Chaney chose Boardman, so #2 Louisville logically chose Ashtabula. Both brackets still had openings when Canton South chose, and they chose Ashtabula. If we are to believe what the NEDAB's surveys claim to have indicated, then this type of situation was a distinct possibility, and those surveyed said they were OK with increased travel in exchange for balancing out the competition among tournament sites. Seems to me it's a case of "be careful what you wish for." Lucky for these two schools that someone took pity on them and moved the game to a closer venue.

When I was in HS we didn't have anyone in our sectional that was farther than about 15-20 min away. Then we went another 8 miles down the road for the district tourney and again, all four teams were always within 20-25 min and usually closer.

I think moving the Canton South/Louisville game, while logical, is a bad move by whoever made this decision. Why can't other games get moved now? Ursuline/Howland play in the other semi-final. Why couldn't that game get moved to Fitch? Would be a better crowd and atmosphere. Both of those teams chose to go into the Lakeside district. If travel was a concern, they could have chosen the Boardman district. I think this has set a precedent for other games to get changed, and I am not sure we want to start doing that.
I agree, the NEDAB either needs to go back to geographic districts or just label them NE1, NE2 etc and come up with neutral sites like football depending on the matchups through the championship. Having a school like Wellsville having to go to Grand Valley for a nice 81 mile hike on a Tuesday evening, or the game in question is just nonsense quite frankly.

the East district doesn't set the sites until they know who's playing they somewhat try to play equal distance for both teams the part I don't like is we're in the Athens regional 2 hours 43 minuets instead of Canton 25 minuets away

Why are district title games at 9 pm on a Wednesday at UD? Batavia won’t get home till well after midnight maybe even 1 am. That game could easily be switched to Middletown or either Lakota’s. Just seems silly to me to have 3 games on a weeknight with the last one being 9 pm and a team has to travel 70 miles for it. I get playing at UD will be cool for the kids but let’s be real a district title being played at UD and the regionals at Vandalia is silly.

So basically we had a system where travel was minimal, and people complained because bad teams were getting to regional.

So we went super districts so the pretenders got weeded out, and people complain about travel.

Make up your damn minds.....

So basically we had a system where travel was minimal, and people complained because bad teams were getting to regional.

So we went super districts so the pretenders got weeded out, and people complain about travel.

Make up your damn minds.....
Ya know, it’s likely different groups of people doing the complaining in each circumstance.

Wauseon had to drive an hour and 30 minutes to a Sectional Game at Lima Senior!! Now they have to drive an hour and 30 minutes to a district game at Ohio Northern.
This never made any sense since Wauseon and Van Wert were in Lima and Lima Shawnee and Wapak were at Paudling. They should have flipped the sites.

Wauseon had to drive an hour and 30 minutes to a Sectional Game at Lima Senior!! Now they have to drive an hour and 30 minutes to a district game at Ohio Northern.
wauseon CHOSE to drive an hour and 30 minutes to a sectional game when they could have played 45 minutes away in paulding.

Last edited:
wauseon CHOSE to drive an hour and 30 minutes to a sectional game when they could have played 45 minutes away in paulding.
And it probably was the right choice. At least they won their first game. Not sure they would have won the opener against any of the other options. 1) Defiance....who they had already lost to be 15 in the regular season.....2) St Marys....see yesterday's result or 3) Shawnee....who was playing really well the last 3 weeks of the regular season

And it probably was the right choice. At least they won their first game. Not sure they would have won the opener against any of the other options. 1) Defiance....who they had already lost to be 15 in the regular season.....2) St Marys....see yesterday's result or 3) Shawnee....who was playing really well the last 3 weeks of the regular season
well if their fans are gonna get on here and bitch because they have to drive an hour and a half maybe they should have lost in the first round closer to home since it was such a hassle to support their team.