Local high school musical abruptly halted, deemed ‘vulgar’

Approval policy would depend on the district. I would've thought most districts do have to approve, but when you go the national school board conference you're amazed at how differently BOE's across the country do things.

When I was a board member, IIR the annual musical was an agenda item for approval each year. The musical was almost always the "safe" and traditional ones we were familiar with. We had the agenda ahead of time, so I"m sure one of us would have asked about an unfamiliar production, especially a modern with more modern language.

Yep, same thing when our school did Grease. I was aware that the Broadway version was a lot racier than the film, but the director told us he specifically got the safer version. I'm sure the kids understood the innuendos, but it still passed muster.

I'd heard of the Spelling Bee thingy last year. Sounded interesting at first, than I learned it had some gratuitious crudity in there just because the writers thought it would be fun. Kinda like a Seth Rogan flick, I guess. If that had come up for approval, I'd definitely question it first.
As it happens I had a chance encounter with our school's drama teacher. So I asked. She decides what plays to perform, BUT she discusses the choice with the principal and sometimes the superintendent. And she has been asked not to perform certain plays for a variety of reasons.

As you know, school administrators do not like surprises and try to avoid angering the voting pubic.

I'm guessing the administration did not know what was in the play, and didn't like it when "concerned citizens" informed them.

As it happens I had a chance encounter with our school's drama teacher. So I asked. She decides what plays to perform, BUT she discusses the choice with the principal and sometimes the superintendent. And she has been asked not to perform certain plays for a variety of reasons.

As you know, school administrators do not like surprises and try to avoid angering the voting pubic.

I'm guessing the administration did not know what was in the play, and didn't like it when "concerned citizens" informed them.
In the later years of his working life, my dad told me the #1 rule he learned was to never let your boss get blindsided.

Additionally, I know of some schools where the teams' pregame playlists must be approved by the administration before they make it to the PA system.

Additionally, I know of some schools where the teams' pregame playlists must be approved by the administration before they make it to the PA system.
I know of some schools where the teams' pregame playlists should be approved by the administration before they make it to the PA system.

We are those parents that get very annoyed when our kids listen to songs with vulgar language. We expect them to play the clean version. Amazed that some of these songs are played in gyms and no one seems to notice.

I know of some schools where the teams' pregame playlists should be approved by the administration before they make it to the PA system.

We are those parents that get very annoyed when our kids listen to songs with vulgar language. We expect them to play the clean version. Amazed that some of these songs are played in gyms and no one seems to notice.
Say something. Make a phone call. Send a letter or email. Be polite.

Over the years I've had some situations when a parent or booster wanted me to take a concern to the school administration. I said that I would, but that as an employee I could only push my bosses so far. But as a parent and voter their opinion would be received differently and they could push a lot harder than I could.

Over the years I've had some situations when a parent or booster wanted me to take a concern to the school administration. I said that I would, but that as an employee I could only push my bosses so far. But as a parent and voter their opinion would be received differently and they could push a lot harder than I could.
When I was in HS, someone sent a letter to the school during the basketball tournament. The writer began by complimenting our student section as being one of the most spirited in the area but also conveyed disappointment that we would chant "bulls#it" during an early round tournament game. The administration got the message, and in turn, so did we. Those types of chants went away for a few years.

In the later years of his working life, my dad told me the #1 rule he learned was to never let your boss get blindsided.

My sons’ school makes teams get their pregame mix tape approved, but it’s a Catholic school, so they’re probably a little stricter than others. Also depends on the AD as well.

When I was in HS, someone sent a letter to the school during the basketball tournament. The writer began by complimenting our student section as being one of the most spirited in the area but also conveyed disappointment that we would chant "bulls#it" during an early round tournament game. The administration got the message, and in turn, so did we. Those types of chants went away for a few years.
To get around that, some student sections chant "push it" and make the pushing motion with their hands/arms.

To get around that, some student sections chant "push it" and make the pushing motion with their hands/arms.
For some reason, I pictured this:

Animal+House+GIF-downsized_large.gif

Been echoing this for years as well.

If the teacher/director planned to perform the uncensored version of the play, that person is entirely at fault.

This is the quote from the article that gets to me:

“Cardinal Schools has been humiliated in our district, our county, our state, our country and also internationally due to this fiasco,” said Joyce Peters, a Parkman resident, according to the Maple Leaf. “It is time to get right with the world around us. To embrace diversity, open-mindedness and kindness.”
In my mind, there are parts of this play that would be humiliating to say ouy loud. I can't imagine being a boy in the show saying those lines with his parents in the audience.

I know we all have different thresholds for what is offensive but Joyce Peters has a very different perspective of what is humiliating. Too bad she is so closed-minded she can't even try to understand the other side of a debate.

This is the quote from the article that gets to me:

In my mind, there are parts of this play that would be humiliating to say ouy loud. I can't imagine being a boy in the show saying those lines with his parents in the audience.

I know we all have different thresholds for what is offensive but Joyce Peters has a very different perspective of what is humiliating. Too bad she is so closed-minded she can't even try to understand the other side of a debate.
Joyce Peters, like all fools, is entitled to her opinion, but d##k jokes are not a sign of "diversity, open-mindedness and kindness" and have no place in a school activity.

Sober, rational, and civil people should ignore her.

Last edited:
Does anyone actually know if that particular song was even being included in the production? All the reports I saw mentioned that there were changes being made to the original script to make it more appropriate for a HS production.