Lima Senior to join Toledo City League

"Reboot" You're say that like it would be bad or even a choice? My understanding from this thread, it was neither? Did Lima reject an NLL invite? Make no effort to try and be part of that conference? Senior really, really, really wanted to be part of Toledo City League rather than almost any other league?
By "reboot" I'm simply implying that the NLL would be really no different for Lima than the TRAC already was. Lima would be successful in Boys Basketball, would maybe win a game or two in football in the fall and the other sports would wonder why they have to take a beating every week in conference. The NLL for Lima would just be the GMC with a shorter drive for the Lima City Schools bus driver.

By "reboot" I'm simply implying that the NLL would be really no different for Lima than the TRAC already was. Lima would be successful in Boys Basketball, would maybe win a game or two in football in the fall and the other sports would wonder why they have to take a beating every week in conference. The NLL for Lima would just be the GMC with a shorter drive for the Lima City Schools bus driver.
A game or two in football? In 1996, its last year in the GMC, Lima won the state football championship.

Last edited:
you need to learn some reading comprehension
someone does.

"would maybe win a game or two in football....The NLL for Lima would just be the GMC with a shorter drive for the Lima City Schools bus driver.

"A game or two in football? In 1996, its last year in the GMC, Lima won the state football championship."

You are saying in the new NLL they'd only win a game or two in football at the same time saying the NLL would "just be the GMC,"... Presuming you are right how they'd do in the new NLL, that is not as they did in the GMC. ?

someone does.

"would maybe win a game or two in football....The NLL for Lima would just be the GMC with a shorter drive for the Lima City Schools bus driver.

"A game or two in football? In 1996, its last year in the GMC, Lima won the state football championship."

You are saying in the new NLL they'd only win a game or two in football at the same time saying the NLL would "just be the GMC,"... Presuming you are right how they'd do in the new NLL, that is not as they did in the GMC.

people-using-respirators-and-ear-horns-during-speech-illustration-id660314904

Last edited:
someone does.

You are saying in the new NLL they'd only win a game or two in football at the same time saying the NLL would "just be the GMC,"... Presuming you are right how they'd do in the new NLL, that is not as they did in the GMC. ?
For starters, ALL members of the GMC are D1. Now, don't embarrass yourself or the NLL---current members, departing member and incoming members by trying to compare their football histories with the likes of Colerain and Princeton.

For starters, ALL members of the GMC are D1. Now, don't embarrass yourself or the NLL---current members, departing member and incoming members by trying to compare their football histories with the likes of Colerain and Princeton.
You are embarrasing yourself by addressing my comment as you did and as you continue to do. You are affirming *67's comment that you suffer reading skllls, something I was defending you against. Maybe you should reread the sequence.

He never said that. Please go back and read what he posted. Notice the quotes and all.

He never said that. Please go back and read what he posted. Notice the quotes and all.
If you are comparing the 'new" NLL with, say the 2021 TRAC in football, point taken. I will still put up the GMC over the "new" NLL on year-to-year basis. This is the most recent comprehensive history I can find to support my position. And, I will add this caveat: whereas the GMC schools compete with St. X, Moeller and Elder in D1 Region 4, there are ZERO private schools in D1 Region 2 and ZERO non-Toledo based private schools in D2 Region 6. https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows.net/files/Sports/Football/history/FootballParticipants.pdf

someone does.

My senior year (1998) we went 2-5 in the GMC so yes a game or two in the NLL ;) . We were slow that year BUT we weren't strong.

also, many of you forget that prior to '96 Lima Senior was not winning or competing for state on an annual basis. Heck, we weren't even competing for GMC titles. Tell me how much success Lima Senior has had comparative to that 96 team on the state level.

1996 was a special year with a special team (that I am to this day thankful to have been a part of). So I stand by my 2 wins in the NLL because well 1996 was a long time ago (sadly haha).

So, you think the new NLL will be stronger, from top to bottom than the GMC---both now and vintage 1996?
Good question. How good is Colerain these days? haha.

Maybe this is selective nostalgia at play but I just don't see the Lima of today competing with the NLL of today the way we competed with the GMC of yesterday. Keep in mind when I say that I'm talking about the athletes Lima use to have back in the day when they were in the GMC.

If Lima were in the GMC today it would not be pretty IMO. for Lima that is. In football I should mention. I would actually love to see Lima basketball of today compete in the GMC.

A game or two in football? In 1996, its last year in the GMC, Lima won the state football championship.
That was not our last year in the GMC. I graduated from Lima Senior in 1999 and we were still very much in the league. IIRC our last year of league membership may have been the year after I graduated, so the 1999-00 season.

So, you think the new NLL will be stronger, from top to bottom than the GMC---both now and vintage 1996?
Lol....I hope you are joking. The GMC in those days was unbelievable. Nobody in the current NLL would have finished in the top 3 in the GMC in those days in either football for baksetball

You do realize that the TRAC in football and basketball is/was head and shoulders above what the NLL was/will ever be right? Neither of those leagues currently can touch what the GMC was in the 90's when Lima Senior was a top 1-2 team in the league in both sports every year

Last edited:
Lol....I hope you are joking. The GMC in those days was unbelievable. Nobody in the current NLL would have finished in the top 3 in the GMC in those days in either football for baksetball
He is not joking, he essentially said what you are saying. This rabbit hole is caused by a bunch of misinterpretation...I think? ? Maybe I'm misinterpreting? Who knows?

For the record, the GMC of the 90's with Lima Sr. was a dynamite league. It was better than the NLL by a long shot up until this point. I do not think anyone is arguing that. After all, the NLL is and has been a predominantly DII and DIII league..

One could make a case that the ten years of the TRAC is right there or even better than the GMC in the time frame we are discussing (96'). Keep in mind Colerain and the Lakota's did not join until 97'.

He is not joking, he essentially said what you are saying. This rabbit hole is caused by a bunch of misinterpretation...I think? ? Maybe I'm misinterpreting? Who knows?

For the record, the GMC of the 90's with Lima Sr. was a dynamite league. It was better than the NLL by a long shot up until this point. I do not think anyone is arguing that. After all, the NLL is and has been a predominantly DII and DIII league..

One could make a case that the ten years of the TRAC is right there or even better than the GMC in the time frame we are discussing (96'). Keep in mind Colerain and the Lakota's did not join until 97'.
Wow! Considering all of his posts today I must have struck a raw nerve with scbuckeye99. For the record, the GMC expanded from eight to 10 schools beginning in the1997-98 school year. Lakota split into two schools, East and West, Lima Senior was given the boot (which I thought was a mistake) and Colerain and Oak Hills were welcomed into the league. Milford hung around until the 2007-08 school year and was replaced by Mason. I will allow for the possibility that scbuckeye99 took too many hits to the head and thought he was still playing in the GMC in 1998-1999.
As far as scbuckeye99's remark about how good Colerain is these days, I will just say it is easy to cherry-pick data to try and prove a point. My view is there are only so many "athletes" to feed the Colerain, Princeton and Winton Woods teams (I detest using the word "programs" at the high school level). I haven't tracked it exactly, but within the GMC it seems that when Colerain was up, Princeton went down (like a balancing scale). Now it looks to be going the other way. With regard to the OHSAA football playoff participation I provided in my previous post, it will skew toward the GMC vs. the NLL even more in the future. Look at last season's D1 R4 final ratings. http://www.joeeitel.com/hsfoot/region.jsp?region=4&year=2021 Most every GMC team is almost guaranteed to make the playoffs. I think that is why the GMC schools decided to go to a full round-robin in football with just one open date for a non-league game. The schools don't have to hunt for Harbin points outside of the league.

Wow! Considering all of his posts today I must have struck a raw nerve with scbuckeye99.

It's your nerves pinging into rants. Several have tried to tell you, you are misreading.

You're so busy trying to puff yourself up that you are not seeing you are the only one acting as if they've lost it. I actually defended you against 67*'s accusation you needed reading skills, you're proving ME wrong, lol First you attack me for defending you because you thought I was attacking you when I was actually correcting 67*. Then you attacked buckeye when it was IB's comment, then IDK, just buckshot.

Maybe internet is too hard for you?

I concede. J Baller, who is all knowing and all seeing in all matters GMC affirms Lima was sent to purgatory in 2000. The white flag has been raised.

Last edited:
In conclusion:
Lima would win only a football game or two whether in the old NLL, the new NLL or the GMC but the scores would be closer in the NLL.

Everyone happy?

As for their new situation, I'm thinking they are one traffic accident or audit away from closing down TPS sports again, which would seem the plan of the departing NLL members all along.

I won't say who this is...
the-mental.gif
Turns out there was another similar conversation on the GMC thread, vet may have been getting lost in the dual debates. ?

IDK how this lands for Lima in the long run. I don't know who they are competing with for students but they have nice facilities. Plenty of potential in all the sports but the move to the TCL is certainly not going to help them compete for and retain those athletes. Doesn't strike me as a smart move from either end but I also don't know the difficulties of independent scheduling.

Turns out there was another similar conversation on the GMC thread, vet may have been getting lost in the dual debates. ?

IDK how this lands for Lima in the long run. I don't know who they are competing with for students but they have nice facilities. Plenty of potential in all the sports but the move to the TCL is certainly not going to help them compete for and retain those athletes. Doesn't strike me as a smart move from either end but I also don't know the difficulties of independent scheduling.
No. Just bad recall. I had a son who graduated from a GMC school in'97. I didn't follow all the comings with precision right after that. I have heard people my age begin losing their senses. I have already lost my sense of decency.

You do realize that the TRAC in football and basketball is/was head and shoulders above what the NLL was/will ever be right? Neither of those leagues currently can touch what the GMC was in the 90's when Lima Senior was a top 1-2 team in the league in both sports every year
My soph year in basketball (96-97) boys basketball was in it's first season under Dick Heath was an absolute train wreck. MIGHT have finished last in the GMC that year.

and as I mentioned in another post my senior year in football (1998) we finished near the bottom.

people also forget that Lima Senior football had a couple back to back 4-6 seasons in '91 and '92 before hitting their / our stride to becoming relevant in the playoffs and even the GMC.

Since the NLL is taking on many teams that Lima currently can not beat in the TRAC I don't see how the spartans would be able to beat those schools in a new league. In fact, Lima has done better in the TRAC against the privates in football than we have the publics (thank god for Oregon Clay).

I don't disagree with the assertion that the 90s GMC was far more competitive than either the TRAC or NLL are today. I played football and baseball and swam at Senior High from 1995 to 1999. So when you say "you do realize" my only response can simply be "yes, yes I do realize...i was there sir :D "